Start by marking “Dining with Joy (Lowcountry Romance, #3)” as Want to Read:
Dining with Joy (Lowcountry Romance, #3)

Dining with Joy (Lowcountry Romance #3)

3.91  ·  Rating details ·  1,228 Ratings  ·  124 Reviews
"Chef" Joy Ballard longs for a simpler life. But when a good-looking outsider arrives and spices things up, life becomes deliciously complicated.

Host of a regionally syndicated cooking show, Joy Ballard has a little secret: she can't cook. But when her show is picked up by a major network and given a prime time slot, her world heats up faster than a lowcountry boil.

Enter L
Published November 16th 2010 by Thomas Nelson Publishers

To ask other readers questions about Dining with Joy, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Dining with Joy

Casey
Oct 15, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Let me say right off that I LOVED this book! It will certainly not be the last one I read by the fantastic story teller, Rachel Hauck.

The characters of Joy and Luke (along with the minors) are filled with depth and flaws, humor and charm that stand to life on the page. The story is well told with word pictures abounding in a manner sure to grab your attention and refuse to let go. This is the kind of book that when you have to put it down, you want to go back to it immediately.

Dialogue is snappy
Becki
My favorite of the 3 in the series. I feel like Joy truly experienced some growth. She was a character I could root for.
Tina
Original post at One More Page

I had a realization when I was reading this book: I like foodie books. I don't mean books about food like cookbooks or anything that talks about food. I mean fiction with food as one of its major elements. I've read two in the past year ( The Crepe Makers' Bond and Always the Baker, Never the Bride ) and although I was pretty lukewarm about them, I enjoyed the cooking aspect of both books and how food played a part in the story.

Dining with Joy by Rachel Hauck is
Margaret Chind
Mar 17, 2010 rated it really liked it
Recommended to Margaret by: Rachel
I am in complete love with Rachel's Low Country Romance series. These novels are calm yet romantically tense. The characters are real and quirky and the heroes are heart beating hunks on the page. I thoroughly enjoyed Sweet Caroline, and Love Starts with Elle remains one of my favorite contemporary Christian romances to this day and ending with "Dining with Joy" I'm a content reader.

Beaufort, South Carolina is the place to be. Joy Ballard leads an interesting life as a faux cooking host for a s
Erin
Jan 28, 2011 rated it liked it
This is the first book I've read by Rachel Hauck that I didn't simply fall in love with. A cooking show host who can't cook and resorts to cheap gimmicks to keep from being discovered? Hasn't that storyline been done already?

Joy Ballard has managed to keep her secret through the first three seasons of her show "Dining With Joy". When chef Luke Redmond comes to her rescue at a surprise cook-off and subsequently begins co-hosting the show, Joy has to decide how much she can trust him and if he is
Sally
Once in a while, a book comes along that you know would make a good family movie. This is one of those books. In the first chapter, you learn that 'something' happened on a promotional trip to Omaha. In the second, you learn what that 'something' was. The way it was written, I could picture immediately the opening teaser of the movie: cooking show host Joy Ballard reacting badly to a surprise cook-off with her rival.

I've not read anything by Rachel Hauck before, so I didn't know this was the thi
Mindie
Mar 06, 2013 rated it really liked it
This was a cute book. It was hard to get interested in the book at first, but I'm glad I kept reading. It took a good 100 pages into the book before I fell in love the characters Joy & Luke. A fun romance that at times, pulled on your heart strings.
Cookielover
Feb 12, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Omigosh, I loved the characters and I laughed out loud at them then cried. The story line is delicious and not cheesy or corny. Just enough of spice and TA-DA a sweet good read.
Ladyp
Oct 25, 2017 rated it really liked it
Joy Ballard has her own cooking show but the secret is “she can’t cook” and that is a mighty powerful secret! Lest one forgets, words and actions are powerful forces to be reckoned with. Nobody asks because everyone just assumes someone with a cooking show can cook, right? Joy doesn’t seem to know how to let anyone be the wiser about her lil lie.

Her daddy Charles Ballard had the show first and it was called, “Dining with Charles” but as her daddy was dying he asked her to do his show. Duncan his
Amy C
Jan 20, 2017 rated it it was ok
2.75 out of 5 stars

Overall I liked the book enough to finish, which is saying a lot because I wanted to quit reading several times.

This is your typical run of the mill romance story, so if you are looking to pick up a book that won't really shock you with the out come then this book is for you.

I did like Joy...most of the time. She was outgoing, loved her family, was willing to work hard. However, her constant battle of whether she should tell the truth just became annoying after the first 30 pa
Grace Tolman
Jul 22, 2017 rated it liked it
This book started off slow for me. There were even times when I felt like I did not care to finish Luke and Joy's story. But because I have read the first two, I felt like I needed to finish the lowcountry romance series. Like I would totally regret it at the end.
Anyways, some of the things that I liked about this novel is the banter between Luke and Joy. I am a sucker for witty and clever banter between hero and heroine. I was just sad that that didn't really happen till the middle of the stor
Sprinkles and Pink
Aug 15, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-in-2017
This is the third book in Rachel Hauck's Lowcountry series. I read the first two books in the series and enjoyed them both so it was no surprise I liked this one, too. This book can easily be read as a stand alone. Joy Ballard is the host of a cooking show and she harbors a secret - she can't cook! As the book progresses, we learn that she took over the hosting of the show to fulfill her father's dying wish, not because she really wanted to host a cooking show. Joy struggles with her secret thro ...more
Elizabeth
Oct 11, 2017 rated it really liked it
Joy Ballard took over her father's cooking show when he died. The problem is - she can't cook. The current owner of the show knows this and Joy is a great host so they perpetuate the idea. Until the show is sold. Joy begs the owner to tell the new owner the truth. Read this charming book to find out how inevitably her secret is out and what happens in her life including romance with a true chef.
Jun 27, 2017 rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this book. I loved the characters, the setting and the cooking. I think that it had enough funny moments and enough serious moments to make it connect with all different types of readers. It would make a great Hallmark movie or even just a family movie on a TV network of some sort. I can't wait to get my hands on more Rachel Hauck books.
Sandra
Oct 27, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: own-book
I thought this was a cute little romance. I found the story line of a cooking talk show host that could not cook at all, a little hard to believe. But as always Rachel did a great job in making the characters in the story lovable and believable.
Mary
Mar 10, 2017 rated it liked it
This book took a long time for me to read, it just wasn't interesting enough for me. Luke was amazingly hot tho, which is the only reason I finished this book.
Fab
May 31, 2011 rated it really liked it
I received an advanced copy of this book from the publisher.

I was beyond excited when I found out that I had won an advanced copy of DINING WITH JOY BY RACHEL HAUCK after entering to win on Goodreads. I received the copy of the book in late January and being it in the middle of exams it was placed on my bookshelf and saved for later. Lately, when I was looking for new material to read I came across Dining with Joy and was captivated by the summary on the back cover and decided to read it during
Amy Roelant
Feb 24, 2017 rated it really liked it
Third in the trilogy. Enjoyed this one more. With this writer not sure how things will end up. Good underlying theme of CF.
WifeMomKnitter
Oct 20, 2010 rated it really liked it
Shelves: booksneeze
From the book synopsis:

"Host of a regionally-syndicated cooking show, Joy Ballard has a little secret: she can't cook. But when her show is picked up by a major network and given a prime time slot, her world heats up faster than a lowcountry boil.

Enter Luke Redmond: handsome, creative, and jobless after having to declare bankruptcy of his Manhattan restaurant. When her producers ask him to co-host the show, Joy sees Luke as her way out. But Luke sees much more than just a co-host in Joy.

Their re
Susan
Jan 13, 2011 rated it it was ok
Dining With Joy, is the third novel in the Lowcountry Romance series by Rachel Hauck, and is the first book that I received for free through the Goodreads First Reads contest.
I submitted my name for this title because I REALLY liked the description of the story... a cooking show with a host ( Joy) who secretly can't cook, and a handsome, professional chef (Luke) joining the show as her co-host.
I had hoped that this would be a fun story to read and was so disappointed that, for me, it wasn't. T
Holly (2 Kids and Tired)
The premise for Dining with Joy is cute and a little far-fetched. Joy can't cook and, after her father's sudden death, took over his cooking show out of obligation. Rather than learning to cook, she perpetuates the myth that she's a celebrity chef with help from her staff, family and friends. When her show is sold to a new producer, her secret is threatened. However, she doesn't voluntarily confess to anyone, yet she professes belief in God.

I'm sorry, anyone who seems to be as bright as Joy is,
Lydia (Overweight Bookshelf)
Aug 31, 2010 rated it it was amazing
First reviewed on: http://overweight-bookshelf.blogspot....

This is my favourite book yet from Rachel Hauck! Not that I didn't love her other books (because they are all FANTASTIC), but this book was so unique and delectable that I just could not put it down. Like with all delicious things you want "just one more bite," and in this case it was "just one more page!"

This story leaped off the page and played out in my imagination like a movie. The exquisite attention to detail appealed to every one
Dana
Jan 01, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Cooking show host, Joy Ballard, does it all—almost. At home in Beaufort, Alabama she’s a crack softball player and a loving aunt, daughter, and friend. She’s a whiz at promoting her TV show, whether judging cooking competitions or hosting food fairs, but what she really longs to do is come clean and reveal the secret that will destroy the food empire her father built—that Joy can’t actually cook.

The people she loves are obstacles to her desire to tell all. She made a promise to her dying father
Cheryl
Nov 08, 2010 rated it liked it
Joy is the host of Dining with Joy. She got the gig when her she was working as associate producer on her father’s cooking show, Dining with Charles. When her father passed away the show became Dining with Joy. Dining with Joy has started to become wildly popular. The network TruReality has picked up the show for another season. There is just one problem…Joy can’t cook!

Chef Luke Redmond was the owner of a Manhattan restaurant. That all changed when he had to file bankruptcy. Luke receives an op
Sheree
Jul 06, 2010 rated it really liked it
Dining With Joy is the third in Rachel's Low Country series. The first two being, Sweet Caroline and Love Starts With Elle. First of all, I have to comment on the covers of all three of these books. They are very attractive and creative! I love them! I have older cover versions of the first two and may have to go get the newer versions just so I have all three matching books, :-)

Ok, enough about the cover, you want to know about the insides! It's kinda like a Boston Creme Donut...yummy looking
Becky
Feb 10, 2017 rated it really liked it
I liked this one better. My only complaint is that the back cover gives away the climax of the book. I thought it would be the set up for the rest of the plot, but instead, you wait for the majority of the book for her train crash with destiny. I don't care what anyone says I seriously cannot believe anyone can be THAT bad at cooking after being around cooking for that long. It's kind of ridiculous, but other than that she's a likable character and so is Luke, so the story is still ok.
Amy Siggelow
Jan 10, 2011 rated it really liked it
I received this book in a giveaway from bookclubcookbook.com.

I LOVED this book. Not only is it a great and realistic story line, the messages in this book are outstanding. This is a Christian book, appropriate for anyone to read.

Joy Ballard is a cooking show host that secretly cannot cook. Her show is sold to Wild Woman productions which is the start of her downward spiral professionally. On the other hand, it is the start of something wonderful personally as she and the new cohost of the show a
Marcie
Mar 01, 2011 rated it it was ok
I picked this book because a cooking show host that couldn't cook really appealed to me. This book started out slow to me. It took me a little more than 100 pages before I was drawn into the story. The story is focused around Joy Ballard. She is a celebrity host of a well know cooking show. Joy took over hosting after her father died suddenly. Joy has mixed emotions over her masquerade as a cook. So many people depend on her for their livelihood that I could sympathize with her character. This b ...more
gina
Oct 07, 2010 rated it it was ok
Disclaimer- due to the high number of arcs I've gotten recently I passed this out to a trusted coworker to read. I received it at a romance conference and it wasn't the type of book I'd normally read. So on to the review!

Unfortunately, this one didn't pass muster. It had difficulty holding the reader's attention. The reader couldn't get attached to the characters or writing. It also had the main characters getting "caught up in the moment" and kissing pretty much right after they met and on tv i
Cherie
Jan 16, 2011 rated it liked it
I found the book a little slow in the beginning but it picked up gradually. The characters were fairly well developed. They had their positives and their negatives just like any other person. I was a little disappointed with some of Joy's self-centeredness. I believe she should have revealed the truth to Allison before things got to where they did. I believe having things be revealed the way they had did not do her credit as a Christian witness to the faith. The whole situation made me just crin ...more
  • Love Lifted Me (Songbird, #3)
  • Seaside Letters (Nantucket, #3)
  • Just Between You and Me: A Novel of Losing Fear and Finding God
  • Love Finds You in Snowball, Arkansas
  • Menu for Romance (Brides of Bonneterre, #2)
  • My Foolish Heart (Deep Haven, #4)
  • Love, Charleston
  • The Scent of Rain
  • Stealing Adda
New York Times, USA Today & Wall Street Journal Bestselling author Rachel Hauck writes from sunny central Florida.

A RITA finalist and winner of Romantic Times Inspirational Novel of the Year, she writes vivid characters dealing with real life issues.

She loves to hear from readers. She also loves to encourage new writers and sits on the Executive Board of American Christian Fiction Writers..

A
More about Rachel Hauck...

Lowcountry Romance (3 books)
  • Sweet Caroline