Start by marking “Luckiest Man” as Want to Read:
Luckiest Man

Luckiest Man

4.19  ·  Rating details ·  3,943 Ratings  ·  216 Reviews
Lou Gehrig was the Iron Horse, baseball's strongest and most determined superstar, struck down in his prime by a disease that now bears his name. But who was Lou Gehrig, really? Lou Gehrig is regarded as the greatest first baseman in baseball history. A muscular but clumsy athlete who grew up in New York City, he idolized his hardworking mother and remained devoted to her ...more
Audio, Abridged, 0 pages
Published March 29th 2005 by Simon & Schuster Audio (first published 2005)

To ask other readers questions about Luckiest Man, please sign up.

Jeffrey Williams Yes, most definitely. Some of the medical stuff might be a bit complex, but even then Eig provides at least a rudimentary understanding that a 15-year…moreYes, most definitely. Some of the medical stuff might be a bit complex, but even then Eig provides at least a rudimentary understanding that a 15-year old can grasp. There is a lot of great baseball stories in it, especially relating to his relationship with George Herman "Babe" Ruth and Joe DiMaggio. The language is PG. (less)

Shaun
Dec 28, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Oh my...now that I've finally stopped crying, I guess I can try to do this book justice.

As the title suggests the first half of this book deals with Lou Gehrig's life...and what a life it was. Growing up, I went to my fair share of baseball games and was happy to cheer on our local Philly team, but it wasn't until I had kids and was sucked into the word of little league and travel ball that I came to hold a true affection for the game.

From March through the beginning of November, most of my week
Lance
Sep 01, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Review:
Having not read a book on Lou Gehrig since middle school and wanting to learn more about the man, I picked up this book hoping to learn more about his playing career and how he dealt with the prospect of facing death. Those topics are certainly covered, but there is so much more to this book that it should be on every baseball fan’s list of books to read.

Meticulous research and superb writing make this book one of the most definitive biographies of Gehrig. The reader will learn about the
Scott Taylor
Feb 13, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
What made Lou Gehrig special? What made him the luckiest man? In many ways he was average but unlike most average people, though, he happened to be incredibly gifted as a baseball player and he came to have a devastating disease named after him. Those are the facts. I picked up this book -to find out the rest of the story, and mostly found it.

The book starts out with a description of that famous July 1939 day when Gehrig delivered his famous "luckiest man" speech. The audio CD version has actual
Lisa
Jul 08, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I read this book while I was on vacation in New Jersey this summer and I never did get around to rating & reviewing it when I got back. But now with all this ice bucket action, I've decided to rectify the situation.

I'm really not a gal who follows sports, or likes sports, or has any interest at all in sports. Growing up, if someone had a game on the television, I found it so grating that I would go in another room and read. Okay, I still do that.

And yet, I really wanted to read this book.

Fi
Sean O
Jun 23, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I was a Yankee fan as a child. The story of Lou Gehrig is one of the first real tragedies a baseball fan learns. The greatest first baseman to play the game, struck down in the prime of life. A great and powerful athlete, slowly losing his muscles one by one. A hero with humility. A man who should play second fiddle to none, sandwiched between Babe Ruth and Joe DiMaggio. Someone who ended his consecutive games played streak because he felt he could no longer contribute to the team.

This book wou
Matt_C1
Oct 10, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I love this book so much. This book just really connected to me in a lot of ways. First of all, I really admire how he overcame what his parents said about baseball, and really proved he was the best. I also connected with the fact that he came from a European background, and was kind of a mixed culture. His story of his death is really tragic, and he has a disease named after him, but the book is truly inspiring. I also watched "The Pride of the Yankees", which is a movie dedicated to him.
John Hansen
Oct 31, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is one of those stories that keeps occupying your thoughts long after you've put it down.

Before I read this book, I knew about as much as anyone does concerning Lou Gehrig: he was an old time baseball player who died of ALS. What I didn't know was how deep his love for the game went. How he cleaved to loyalty and companionship. And how his grace and humility always preceded his talents and fortune. In the end Lou left a legacy of endurance and courage as a true American hero.

"There will be
Mqcarpenter
Mar 14, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: baseball
Looking through the glass of hindsight, everyone just flat out looks better. Life is funny that way. If you were mean in reality, history may classify you as "gritty." If you were thoughtful, history may remember you as "genius." Or if you were fat, you may be labeled as "stout and strong." The story of Lou Gehrig is not necessarily an example of this. In reality I will never know. The author will probably not know either. Lou is painted as larger than life in "Luckiest Man." He was thoughtful, ...more
Judy
There's an awful lot about baseball in this book. That should come as no surprise, as Lou Gehrig was famous for being a star baseball player. And I have to admit, I skimmed through a lot of the game descriptions--the play-by-play, if you will. I enjoy baseball, especially when beer and hot dogs are involved, but reading about it doesn't interest me.

What is interesting is reading about Gehrig's early life, his hardscrabble upbringing as the son of poor German immigrants. He was their only child t
Cheryl Gatling
Lou Gehrig was a shy man, simple in his tastes, and with an almost childlike naivete about him. Tongue-tied around reporters, he was never their darling, as the more flamboyant Babe Ruth was. But he just kept plugging away, and plugging away, and New Yorkers came to love him because he won for them. Until the magic seemed to slip away from him. He became weaker. He stumbled. He dropped things. Surely, a little rest, some nutrition, some physical therapy, or vitamin therapy, would bring him up to ...more
Sports books: Best baseball biography 20 7 May 03, 2013 08:32PM
  • Joe DiMaggio: The Hero's Life
  • Babe: The Legend Comes to Life
  • Satchel: The Life and Times of an American Legend
  • Stan Musial: An American Life
  • Clemente: The Passion and Grace of Baseball's Last Hero
  • The Big Bam: The Life and Times of Babe Ruth
  • The Old Ball Game: How John McGraw, Christy Mathewson, and the New York Giants Created Modern Baseball
  • The Last Hero: A Life of Henry Aaron
  • Munson: The Life and Death of a Yankee Captain
  • Willie Mays: The Life, the Legend
  • Cobb: A Biography
  • I Was Right On Time
  • Sandy Koufax: A Lefty's Legacy
  • The Soul of Baseball: A Road Trip Through Buck O'Neil's America
  • Roger Maris: Baseball's Reluctant Hero
  • Crazy '08: How a Cast of Cranks, Rogues, Boneheads, and Magnates Created the Greatest Year in Baseball History
  • October 1964
  • 56: Joe DiMaggio and the Last Magic Number in Sports
Jonathan Eig is the author of five books, three of them New York Times best sellers. He is a former reporter for The Wall Street Journal. His most recent book is "Ali: A Life," hailed as an "epic" by Joyce Carol Oates in her New York Times review. His previous books are: "Luckiest Man: The Life and Death of Lou Gehrig;" "Opening Day: The Story of Jackie Robinson's First Season;" "Get Capone;" and ...more
More about Jonathan Eig...
“He loved baseball so much that he sometimes went home after a game, rounded up a few of the kids from the neighborhood, and played in the street until dark.” 0 likes
“The Gotham boys have a first baseman, Louis Gehrig, who is called the ‘Babe Ruth’ of the high schools,” wrote the Chicago Tribune.” 0 likes