Start by marking “Space-time for Springers” as Want to Read:
Blank 133x176
Space-time for Springers

Fritz Leiber

Space-time for Springers

This short story is unusual in that its protagonist is actually a kitten. Admittedly Gummitch is an unusual kitten, with powers and abilities far beyond those commonly attributed to ordinary cats. (from review by William H. Stoddard, March 2009)
Published 1958 by Star Science Fiction Stories #4, ed. Frederik Pohl, Ballantine

To ask other readers questions about Space-time for Springers, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Space-time for Springers

Kaethe
Apr 17, 2015 rated it it was amazing
One of the best cat stories ever written. I recommend reading it before reading much about it.

Available http://faculty.uca.edu/rnovy/Leiber--...

You're welcome
Karen
Nov 10, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: scifi-fantasy
I am guessing at the read date here, I know I read it when I was in high school, Fritz Leiber being one of my favorite writers at the time. This is the perfect short story. A truly moving explanation of a strange chain of events involving a brilliant kitten, an envious child and a newborn. If I had to pick one story to introduce someone to 'speculative' fiction, this would be it.
B.  Barron
Aug 03, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
Without a doubt the greatest short story ever!
Gummitch is the greatest fuzzy hero EVER!
Ginger~
Nov 21, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: cat-stories, rereads
I CRIED OK.

Seriously though, I’ve read this a few times over the years and (although I didn’t get it at first) I’ve always liked it. I won’t say what I think it’s about, that’s up to you to figure out.
Steve
Mar 17, 2010 rated it really liked it
This short story is also unusual in that its protagonist is actually a cat, or rather a kitten. Admittedly Gummitch is an unusual kitten, with powers and abilities far beyond those commonly attributed to ordinary cats. But there's no scientific explanation for these. Gummitch knows that he's brighter than average, but considers such abilities as soul projection and teleportation no more than the common heritage of his kind.

In addition, Gummitch has the courage to do the right thing, at any cost.
Nandini
Mar 02, 2016 rated it really liked it
Wow! Fantastically written fantasy with the element of sci-fi but it is as normal and cute as it gets. Probably the BEST cat/kitten story ever, laudable is how Fritz Leiber has envisioned this entire story. I loved the little nuances of a kitten's vision of its own life..its imagination..simply beautiful!
Lynette Hill
A bit wordy, but probably a good representation of the time that it was written. I loved the protagonist and his view on the world. I have a cat, so understood it completely. Wasn't completely happy with the outcome, but that's life, isn't it. A most excellent literary kitty.
Kyle Dougherty
Dec 28, 2016 rated it really liked it
I love the imaginative way Leiber explores the housecat's world, positing how a kitten might think of himself and those around him. A truly unique story.
Wordwizard
May 25, 2011 rated it liked it
Fun story of a genius kitten.
Kevin Hull
Jan 10, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Unique, touching tale of a kitten who believes he will grow up to be a man, and how he views those around him and what little he knows of the world.
Pamela Lloyd
Feb 16, 2013 rated it it was amazing
This is one of my all-time favorite stories. A must read for all cat lovers in addition to being truly excellent science fiction.
Jerry Jose
Mar 02, 2016 rated it liked it
Story from the perspective of a highly intelligent cat, or is it?
Or did author mean something related to Einstein's Mouse, either way needed my friend to explain the ending to me
Daryl Ball
William Frizzell-Carlton
Oct 20, 2016
Alex
Sep 24, 2012
Fritz Reuter Leiber, Jr. was one of the more interesting of the young writers who came into HP Lovecraft's orbit, and some of his best early short fiction is horror rather than sf or fantasy. He found his mature voice early in the first of the sword-and-sorcery adventures featuring the large sensitive barbarian Fafhrd and the small street-smart-ish Gray Mouser; he returned to this series at variou ...more
“The spirit, alas, is not the same thing as the consciousness and one may lose–sacrifice– the first and still be burdened with the second.” 0 likes