Start by marking “The Conjure Book” as Want to Read:
The Conjure Book

The Conjure Book

3.25  ·  Rating details ·  52 Ratings  ·  15 Reviews
Life is lonely for 13-year-old Jane Riggs in the historical New England village that is her new home -- until she discovers a four-hundred-year-old book of spells that really works. Guided by the ghost of the witch who wrote the conjure book, Jane embarks on a terrifying but glorious quest for magical power. Her ambition is to contact her mother, dead these ten years and r ...more
Published February 20th 2007 by Wildside Press

To ask other readers questions about The Conjure Book, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Conjure Book

Metaphorosis
Attanasio is one of speculative fiction's more cerebral authors, and I approached this young adult book with some trepidation. In that, I was partly right, and partly wrong.

Attanasio tones down both his vocabulary (some) and his customary ethereality to a level appropriate for intelligent youngsters. The story is fairly simple, though in some ways not credible. The protagonist, a 13 year old spelunker, thinks nothing of plunging immediately into a deep hole in the ground. Since she's otherwise m
Rich Zowaski
Dec 28, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: my-books
A very delightful read. Not too surprising, given the author. Highly recommend any of AAA's to new readers of his books.
**✿❀ Maki ❀✿**
This book started off so well. The description of the knoll was amazing. The tone was nicely creepy and magical. The apple dolls in the underground house were so well-painted by words that they gave me the chills just reading about them.

But then, Jane left the knoll.

I didn't mind cranky ghost witch. I accepted that to make magic work, the main character had to stop wearing jeans, shoes, or anything with buttons or zippers. I didn't say anything about her hairstyle making magic more effective. I
Nancy
May 27, 2013 rated it it was amazing
In this YA mystical story, a 13 yr old goes exploring where she shouldn’t and ends up at the bottom of a hole. In this hole are things she never imagined (including a hanging body!), many, many dolls hanging for the ceiling, out of the walls, etc. She realizes she is in what once was someone’s house; although many years ago. It is underground, after all. The girl sees an old book, pages stuck together and decides to take it to show her father.
Error! The book is the Grimoire of Hyssop Jane from 1
Michael
Apr 22, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was quite pleasurable. I'm not really sure why I chose to read it with several hundred books on my to read list, but about a month ago I started it and promptly forgot. Today I found it again in the pile and a few hours later I'm sad it finished so quickly.

What's to like:

1. Wicca theme. It is drenched in the mood of the supernatural.
2. The faeries and gnomes were fun.
3. BEST of all: the seductive hook of dragging Jane in deeper each time she makes a choice. She becomes responsible.
4. I enjo
Frances Hampton
Apr 02, 2014 rated it it was amazing
What a wonderful book for an imaginative child to read! I wish I had this book to carry me off when I was a child. This is the first book by this author that I have read. I had to expectations other than to be told a story. Perhaps it was this that allowed me to enjoy this book. Perhaps it was that I treasure my inner child and hold dear the things she holds dear. Whatever the reason, I was enchanted by this story. It took me far away from this world and allowed my imagination to dance. I think ...more
Lori Budd
Apr 24, 2014 rated it liked it
A very quick read. I read it in about 3 days. It is cute and has a nice flow to the storyline. I absolutely loved Joeffry. He was a more developed character than I think Jane was. Often, I just kept saying to myself that Jane is just a spoiled little brat. The ending was a little disappointing. Not so much how the story ended, but more the final chapter. It felt like I was being lectured about religious beliefs. (I don't if others would agree with that) I would have preferred, to not have so muc ...more
Rosann
Jan 02, 2013 rated it it was amazing
This was actually a very pleasurable book to read. Loved ALL the characters,, from Hysop Joan to Jeoffry the "familiar" cat.

When I finished the book and was on the last page where the author listed more of his books, I kinda looked for more books on Janes further adventure of her witchcraft learning.

But then I thought that well.. maybe its best that the author finished his tales on Jane, and Hysop Joan and Jeoffry that way we can remember them pleasurably as we did when we finished.
When charact
Olethros
Jan 02, 2014 rated it liked it
-Cerca del cuento y la fábula.-

Género. Narrativa Fantástica.

Lo que nos cuenta. Jane Riggs es una niña de trece años que vive en Massachusetts y que encuentra los restos de una casa y, entre otros artículos inquietantes, un libro que resulta ser un grimorio perteneciente a una bruja del siglo XVII. Cuando el familiar de la antigua dueña visita a Jane, esta debe abrir los ojos y ver el mundo desde otra perspectiva.

¿Quiere saber más de este libro, sin spoilers? Visite:

Ashley
Apr 18, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book wasn't bad, it just wasn't anything special. I've been reading it between classes and unlike many of the books I read during class, I didn't feel that invisible pull to keep reading once class began. It was easy to put down. I'd suggest it for a younger teenager, maybe about 13. I do enjoy young adult books, but sometimes you run into one that is for a younger crowd.
Emily
Mar 16, 2012 rated it really liked it
Jane moved to Massachusetts from New Mexico and is lonely because her scientist father is always gone. When she decides to explore a hole in a knoll and finds a buried witch's cottage from the 1600s, she finds herself in an adventure that quickly turns quite frightening!
Edwina Callan
Started this book about a year and a half ago.
Read the first 30 pages or so, then laid it aside and forgot about it.
Picked it up a few days ago and wound up getting lost inside it, not sure why I laid it aside for so long as it was really a fun little book.
Prismseven
Mar 08, 2014 rated it liked it
Interesting young teen fantasy story. Initially hard to get into the story but the more i read the better it got. Nice bitter sweet ending.
Joe
Jun 23, 2011 rated it really liked it
What a great read.
I picked this book just beacause of the cover and good price.
What a lucky find.
Stephen
May 21, 2013 rated it it was ok
Shelves: fantasy
I wanted to like this book, but could never really get into the story, it just wasn't that great.
Kristina
Nerdgirllauren
Feb 15, 2015
Bakru
Jun 06, 2013
  • Stirring Up Trouble (Stirring Up Trouble, #1)
  • The Afterlife Series Box Set
  • The Cracked Slipper
  • Fallenwood
  • The Chosen One (Grimsley Hollow, #1)
  • Terrene: The Hidden Valley
  • A Note Below (A Lansin Island Short Story)
  • Deacon Leeds and the Pyramid of Symbols
  • Eliza's Shadow
  • Draugr (Northern Frights, #1)
  • The Branding
  • Therapy for Ghosts (The James Women Trilogy, #1)
  • The Charm (Olivia Hart and the Gifted Program, #1)
  • Morning Star (Equinox #1)
  • Forgotten Fox (The Celestial Saga, #1)
  • Alana Weatherbee (Alana Weatherbee, #1)
  • A Moment In Time
  • Hyacinth (Svatura, #2)
I’m a novelist and student of the imagination living in Honolulu. Fantasies, visions, hallucinations or whatever we call those irrational powers that illuminate our inner life fascinate me. I’m particularly intrigued by the creative intelligence that scripts our dreams. And I love carrying this soulful energy outside my mind, into the one form that most precisely defines who we are: story.
More about A.A. Attanasio

Fantasy & Science Fiction Deals

• Off to Be the Wizard (Magic 2.0, #1)
  • Beneath the Shine
  • The Stepford Wives
    $9.74 $1.99
  • Time's Divide (The Chronos Files, #3)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • The Long Earth (The Long Earth, #1)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • Gilded (Gilded, #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Infinity Lost (The Infinity Trilogy #1)
  • The Man of Legends
  • All the Breaking Waves
  • Fellside
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Timebound (The Chronos Files, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Banished of Muirwood (Covenant of Muirwood, #1)
  • Muirwood: The Lost Abbey: The Graphic Novel
    $7.99 $0.99
  • 2061: Odyssey Three (Space Odyssey, #3)
  • Alas, Babylon
    $9.74 $1.99
  • 3001: The Final Odyssey (Space Odyssey, #4)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Fractured (Guards of the Shadowlands, #2)
    $4.99 $0.99
  • The Queen's Poisoner (Kingfountain, #1)
  • Zeroes
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Dreams and Shadows (Dreams & Shadows, #1)
    $9.49 $1.99
  • Touch of Eternity (The Curse #1)
  • Touch
  • Dragon Rider
    $5.99 $1.99
  • An Unwelcome Quest
  • EARTHCORE
    $4.99 $1.49
  • Luna: New Moon
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Traitor's Kiss (The Traitor's Circle, #1)
    $7.80 $2.99
  • The Void of Muirwood (Covenant of Muirwood, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Dreadnought (Nemesis, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Dirty Magic (Prospero's War, #1)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • A Plague of Giants (Seven Kennings, #1)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • The Fire Queen (The Hundredth Queen, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Lies of Locke Lamora (Gentleman Bastard, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Red Knight Falling (Harmony Black, #2)
  • Star Wars: Thrawn
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Zoo City
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Wishing Spell (The Land of Stories, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Sanctum (Guards of the Shadowlands, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Unmasked (The Vampire Diaries: The Salvation, #3)
    $3.49 $0.99
  • Afterlife
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Unseen (The Vampire Diaries: The Salvation #1)
    $3.49 $0.99
  • The Dwarves (The Dwarves, #1)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Dryad-Born (Whispers from Mirrowen, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Unbroken Line of the Moon (Sagan om Valhalla #4; Valhalla #1)
  • Blackfish City
  • Random Acts of Senseless Violence
    $15.99 $1.99
  • Mystic (Mystic, #1)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Spell or High Water (Magic 2.0, #2)