Start by marking “Heaven (Casteel, #1)” as Want to Read:
Heaven (Casteel, #1)

Heaven

(Casteel #1)

Of all the folks in the mountain shacks, the Casteels were the lowest -- the scum of the hills.
Heaven Leigh Casteel was the prettiest, smartest girl in the backwoods, despite her ragged clothes and dirty face...despite a father meaner than ten vipers...despite her weary stepmother, who worked her like a mule. For her brother Tom and the little ones, Heaven clung to her
Published November 1st 1990 by Pocket Books (first published November 1st 1985)

To ask other readers questions about Heaven, please sign up.
Jia Drisdom V. C. Andrews wrote Heaven and Dark Angel. I don't know what her deal with incest is, but I love her books. Andrew Neiderman is her ghostwriter, and…moreV. C. Andrews wrote Heaven and Dark Angel. I don't know what her deal with incest is, but I love her books. Andrew Neiderman is her ghostwriter, and he sucks donkey balls.(less)

Start your review of Heaven (Casteel, #1)
Sarah Mac
Here's another book that screws with the grading curve. If you look at other 4-star reads -- Frankenstein, for example -- there's no way poor VC Andrews can measure up. Yet my verdict stands...four shiny stars, the sign of a book I plan to keep around, & I'm not ashamed to admit it. (Don't look, Mary Shelley.)

This book is loosely divided into three sections. The first is Heaven's life in the West Virginia mountains. As the blurb indicates, her Casteel family is hillbilly scum -- poor, dirty,
Michelle
Dec 02, 2009 rated it really liked it
Um...I almost gave this five stars because I love V.C. and her trashy, soap opera books (but, you know, it's not beautifully written or anything so I restrained myself). I must say: I am horrified by the amount of people that I've proudly told I'm reading V.C. again, only to receive a confused or blank look in return. Is V.C. Andrews not required reading for teenagers? And let me tell you, it still holds up for us adults.

It's been a looong time since I last read Heaven, and I was expecting all
Nenia ⚡ Aspiring Evil Overlord ⚡ Campbell

Instagram || Twitter || Facebook || Amazon || Pinterest

The Casteel series was the last of the family sagas that V.C. Andrews had a hand in before she died and her ghostwriter took over. It's impossible not to compare it to the Dollanganger series, especially since both approximate what you'd get if you decided to adapt a bodice-ripper for the not-so-discerning young-adult audience. On a scale of one to trash, this ranks a solid Bertrice Small: the writing is just as melodramatic, and Andrews
Aug 07, 2008 rated it really liked it
OK - I know it doesn't really deserve 4 stars because it has no redeeming qualities whatsoever, but it brings back such fun memories. I was about 14 when I first read this book, giggling with my girlfriends over all the dirty parts. Re-reading it as a "grown-up" cemented my love for the book - it's horrible, tasteless, trashy and loads of fun!

I see it as a poor man's Little House on the Prairie (if they had lived in West Virginia) You've got Ma, Pa and a bunch of unkempt children sharing a one
Tyler J [They/He] Gray
Well, I love V.C. Andrews now. The emotion, the messages and the subtle-ness. The characters, the complexity, the gray-ness of it all. I don't think I could make a coherent review if I tried, but I loved this book, now...where did it throw my shattered heart?
Jo Scott
Mar 17, 2013 rated it really liked it
Her stories might seem sensational even trashy but at least V Andrews was talking about the ugly. This and Andrews other books, made my ugly feel less lonely, it kept me company at night, when my ugly was creeping outside my bedroom door demanding a sandwich from his cooperative wife before he moved on to complete his nights work.
In an era when the misery memoir was not so present, before child-line and the wider acceptance of abuse in the home she unconsciously kept a lot of abuse victims
Yvonne
Jan 11, 2008 rated it liked it
This is the book that set me on the path to become the avid reader I am to day. My mothers co-worker told her about it. Then she started telling my sister about it, they passed it back and forth and had very interesting conversations that I could not get involved in because I did not know anything about Heaven, her father, or her "fresh" sister Franny. Finally they finished and it was just sitting there mocking me. So I picked it up. Then I was able to talk about this sad faimly. Then I read ...more
✿Nancy✿
Aug 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing

I LOVE LOVE LOVE THIS BOOK!!!! Highly Recommend
Heidi
Dec 16, 2011 rated it it was ok
This was a favorite from my early teenage years, so when I saw it on sale, I thought I'd see if the magic was still there. The answer was a resounding NO. Sad.

The first half of the book wasn't so bad. Heaven Leigh Casteel (the name should have been my first clue...) lives in the hills of West Virginia, and her family is at the bottom of the pecking order in their small town. Actually, the Casteels live out of town, up in the hills. (Seven miles away from town, to be exact. Yet it only takes them
Amber J
Nov 07, 2019 rated it really liked it
― V.C. Andrews, Heaven

I try to express only my most honest opinion in a spoiler free way. If you feel anything in my review is a spoiler and is not already hidden in spoiler brackets please let me know. Thank you.

Heaven lives in a small little house on a mountain in West Virginia. She has an older brother a

Heather~ Nature.books.and.coffee
This one was pretty crazy lol!! Had tons of family drama, sadness, love, sex! Wow!! A typical VC Andrews book! I felt so bad for all the things that Heaven went through in her childhood, and throughout her young adult life!.

Is this a well written literary work of art?! Hahaha absolutely not!! BUT it was twisted, fun, and crazy! Sometimes you just need to read a book just for fun!!.
Daniela Ark's Bookiverse
Aug 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Heaven by V.C. Andrews
now a Lifetime Movie!

Hello Beautiful Bookish Beasts,

I wanted to reread Heaven because the screen adaptation was scheduled to air last Saturday on Lifetime. So, I reread it and I want to tell you why this book is a MUST READ!

V.C. Andrews was one of my all time favorite authors until she died in 1986 and her family hired a ghostwriter, Andrew Neiderman, to finish some her WIPs. Decades later, in my opinion no one has written such genre-bending
Rebecca McNutt
Jun 22, 2015 rated it really liked it
Heaven is one of my favorite V.C. Andrews novels, it's creative, vibrant and well-written, with a complex variety of characters and vivid scenery.
Zoe's Human
Jul 26, 2013 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: lt, dnf
This year, I decided to do a 12-book reading challenge. Or, if I'm being more accurate, I decided to buy the Book Riot Read Harder Challenge book log because it was beautiful, and it contained a challenge, so I'm doing it.

Anyway ... Challenge #2 is "Read a book you would normally consider a guilty pleasure". This was a problem for me. I don't have guilty pleasures. Philosophically speaking, I don't even believe in the concept except as a manifestation of the many things wrong with our society.
Liza
Apr 08, 2008 rated it it was amazing
OK so I went through a phase in my teens where I read and owned every VC Andrews book, as evident by the 46+ books listed here! (I just sold them on ebay when I bought my house, so I didn't have to pack them up and move them for the millionth time!) But this series, marked by Heaven Casteel was by far my favorite series and I read it many many times. I stopped reading the newer books in college, since they weren't really by VC anymore and every new book that came out seemed dumber and was ...more
èmm¤
Mar 08, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: all girls
HEAVEN IS A AWESOME BOOK IT HAS 5 BOOKS IN THAT FAMILY STORY ,IT IS BY THE AUTHOR WHO CREATED THE BOOK FLOWERS IN THE ATTIC BASED ON A TRUE STORY ONCE YOU READ THE FIRSTN BOOK ITS VERY HARD TO STOP! I HAVE READ ALL 5 BOOKS OF THE CASTEEL FAMILY AND IM SO HOOKED IM STARTING ON FLOWERS IN THE ATTIC(THE DOLLANGAR FAMILY)
Anne
Sep 15, 2009 rated it liked it
Shelves: chick-lit
God! I had forgotten this one! I'm ashamed to say I read it and loved it! In my defense, I was only in seventh grade. From the looks of it, I'm not the only reviewer who cut their teeth on these books!
Lara
Mar 26, 2008 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I was almost embarrassed to admit that I read this, but whatever. Who doesn't like a fluffy book every now and again? This one was pretty damn craptastic.
Anisha
Jul 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2019-reads
Read this book (and all the other VC Andrews books) back in the day during a summer in high school. Rereading as an adult and still doesn’t fail to impress. So good.
Corinne Keener
We read Heaven by VC Andrews for Episode 45 of The Bookstore. You can listen to it wherever you get your podcasts.

It's really a shame that we lost VC Andrews so soon after she began getting published. I'd really love to have a few more interviews with her about her life. She's been central to the identity of so many young readers, that some times I can't believe we ever talk about anything else.

Heaven is a teen girl, the oldest sister of the Casteel family; known in their small mountain town for
Creepypasta  & Squirrels
The only reason I put this on my "Best Books" shelf is for the sentimental value that this book has. This is the very first V.C. Andrews book I ever read, which was a gift from my mother who gave it to me after I got home from school one afternoon. She only said one thing about the book before handing it over; "That poor girl." Which, of course, piqued my curiosity at once. I remember getting in trouble for staying up past my bedtime to continue reading in secret when my mother went back out to ...more
Rebecca Coulby
Apr 01, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I read this book when I was 14 years old and I fell in love with it. Heaven was a wonderful passionate heroine because she rose above so many obstacles what I liked about her was she reminded me so much of myself she was shy,beautiful,smart,passionate,and courageous. I really liked the romantic aspect of it Logan was the knight in shining armor that saw something that nobody else did what made it even more passionate was the rivalry between her and her sister fanny. Kitty's character in the book ...more
Circa Girl
I originally read this back in middle school and for whatever reason I remember enjoying it in an ironic way. VC Andrew's writing has been called campy and melodramatic enough that it might have tainted my original point of view. Having read it almost fifteen years later, I am struck by how disturbing and haunting the story of Heaven's survival really is. There was actually one night that Kitty's antics left me so angry I had trouble sleeping.

This wasn't a "fun" read but it was page turning. It
Redfox5
Mar 12, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: usa, family-saga, fiction
Back when Andrews books were actually being written by Andrews herself, her main characters seen to be stronger thank the one's we find in 'The New Virginia Andrews' books.

Although Heaven does fall into some of the same traps, for example, sleeping with a guy she doesn't really want to. She does have a more fight about her.

Yes she is sold and abused in her new home by her fake mother Kitty, but she does stand up to Kitty a fair few times and she is always raging at her father throughout the
Jamie (The Kansan Reader)
DNF I just can't find the motivation.
V
Sep 04, 2010 rated it really liked it
I read this somewhere around the beginning of middle school, and if I had first read it as an adult it probably wouldn't have been given anywhere near 4 stars. I couldn't bring myself to rate it lower for a couple reasons: I remember absolutely loving the book, and on the "V.C. Andrews" scale of literature, it's probably her most engaging story.

I went on to read what must have been a dozen or more by Andrews during my childhood and adolescence, and I've forgotten the majority of the plot lines
M.M. Strawberry Library & Reviews
While I felt that the Flowers in the Attic was a excellent book, I feel that the Casteel series is overall the best (at least, the parts written by VC herself) I have read this book 7 or 8 times, and I never get tired of it. And this book is only the beginning of a excellent series, so if you're looking to spend a good amount of hours reading something wonderful, then start with Heaven!

You can't help but feel bad for this poor girl since she is so mistreated by her father for something that was
Kelly Jones
Nov 26, 2008 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: adolescent girls who want to feel like their doing something naughty.
Recommended to Kelly by: classmate
Shelves: guilty-pleasures
Like many, I became engulfed in the white trash drama of the Casteel family in the seventh grade. Ashley Anderson gave me a copy in Mr. Nelson's science class one day and from that moment on (or at least for the next year or so, until I finished the series), my life was changed. I gave the book five stars, but keep in mind, I read it over fifteen years ago. However, the impact was obviously huge. So take the reccomondation how you see fit. Also-Just for fun....Compare and contrast Heaven by VC ...more
Kristi
Jul 26, 2019 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I don’t think I have ever hated a book more in my life.
Tracy (The Pages In-Between)
Mar 08, 2016 rated it really liked it
I loved it, just as much as I did 20+ years ago!!!
Thrillers & Chill...: Oldies but goodies! 1 14 Jul 02, 2012 12:18AM

• Cruel Girl (Blossom High #2)
  • A Vision of Vampires 1-3 (A Vision of Vampires Collection Book 1)
  • Pink: Omnibus Edition
  • The Harrogate Secret
  • Short Horror Stories Vol. 1: Horror Short Stories Collection with Scary Ghosts, Paranormal & Supernatural Monsters (Supernatural Suspense Collection, #1)
  • Rancher's Wild Secret (Gold Valley Vineyards, #1)
  • Dark King (The Crystal Kingdom #3)
  • Play Dirty
  • The Perfume
  • Defriended
  • Hold Back the Night: A Detective McDaniel Thriller
  • Dark Halls
  • Class Trip
  • Hurry Home
  • The Haunted Wedding (A Lin Coffin Mystery #12)
  • The Eternal Enemy
  • The Poor and the Haunted
  • The Midnight Wife
Books published under the following names - Virginia Andrews, V. Andrews, Virginia C. Andrews & V.C. Endrius. Books since her death ghost written by Andrew Neiderman, but still attributed to the V.C. Andrews name

Virginia Cleo Andrews (born Cleo Virginia Andrews) was born June 6, 1923 in Portsmouth, Virginia. The youngest child and the only daughter of William Henry Andrews, a career navy man

Casteel (5 books)
  • Dark Angel (Casteel, #2)
  • Fallen Hearts
  • Gates of Paradise
  • Web of Dreams (Casteel, #5)
“If you work to obtain your goal, and realize from the very beginning that nothing valuable comes easily, and still forge ahead, without a doubt you’ll reach your goal, whatever it is.” 4 likes
“I want my name to mean something after I’m dead.” 2 likes