Start by marking “Broken (Will Trent, #4)” as Want to Read:

Broken

(Will Trent #4)

4.18  ·  Rating details ·  35,489 ratings  ·  1,622 reviews
NEW YORK TIMES BESTSELLER

When Special Agent Will Trent arrives in Grant County, he finds a police department determined to protect its own and far too many unanswered questions about a prisoner’s death. He doesn’t understand why Officer Lena Adams is hiding secrets from him. He doesn’t understand her role in the death of Grant County’s popular police chief. He doesn’t
Audio CD, Unabridged, 14 pages
Published June 22nd 2010 by Brilliance Audio (first published 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Broken, please sign up.
Mean Drake If you've read Grant County series then you could start this as your first Trent book. Not a lot missed, though the quirks of Trent's character are…moreIf you've read Grant County series then you could start this as your first Trent book. Not a lot missed, though the quirks of Trent's character are best learnt by going in series.(less)

·  35,489 ratings  ·  1,622 reviews

Start your review of Broken (Will Trent, #4)
Jonetta
Mar 23, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Sara Linton returns home to Grant County for the holidays, the first time since her personal tragedy. It's the first time she's faced all the reminders of her past life and it's a challenge. Unfortunately, she's almost immediately drawn into an apparent murder investigation that threatens to reunite her with Lena Adams, the woman she holds responsible for her pain. Because of the case circumstances, Will Trent is summoned to Heartsdale and together he and Sara team up to determine exactly what's ...more
Beverly
May 15, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
♥Sharon♥
Sep 23, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition

Perfect progression for this series. LOVED IT! I'll be back with a full review soon!

Just scrolling through my reviews and realized I never came back to this. Oh well. You know I loved it so that's all that matters right?
Sandy *The world could end while I was reading and I would never notice*
Although Karin Slaughter is one of my favourite authors, this is not one of her best books.

The body of a young woman is pulled from a frigid lake, and the man who is charged with killing her commits suicide while in police custody. Dr Sara Linton, who is home for the holiday, calls in Will Trent to investigate the death in custody.

This book has a great plot, but Slaughter has, unusually, failed to make the most of it. Broken lacks the suspense and thrills we have all come to love and associate
Mo
Sep 21, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Another great read in this series. 4.5 "I love Will" stars.

Will is called into Grant County to investigate a possible suicide in police custody. He butts heads with Lena Adams and Frank Wallace, and uncovers a truth that most in the town do not want to see.

While reading this one I realise that Will has sandy hair. Tant pis! My review, my imagination.

Sara Linton no longer thought of Grant County as her home.

Sara is back in Grant county for the Thanksgiving holiday. It is her first time
Brenda
Jul 03, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: library-book
Love this series!! Love Will Trent!! Love Karin Slaughter!!
Stephanie Nicholas
This particular book of Slaughter's is the fourth of the Will Trent mysteries.

Allison is living in Grant County, Georgia going to college. She's having a rough go of things, her boyfriend's being a shit head, her car is on the fritz, she barely can afford to live in her own place, and she's fighting to keep her grades up. Her body is found in a nearby lake, all signs pointing to suicide, apart from the stab wound in the back of her neck. Something's not right.

I enjoyed the cast of characters,
Sonja Arlow

For some reason this book started off a lot slower than what I have come to expect from this author and with this installment she also kept the gory parts quite tame.

BUT as the story progressed I got sucked in more and at the end I realized that I will have to read the next installment sooner rather than later.

The lives of the characters were almost more of a focus point than the murder investigation but I didn’t mind one bit as the story gave a lot of insight into the dynamics between
Darcy
Nov 11, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book was fun to read, but not for the reasons the author probably intended. My favorite parts of the book were the incredibly awkward interactions between Sara and Will, both of them are so socially retarded, both thinking neither is good for the other, not realizing they are perfect for each other if only Sara could get over her dead husband and Will could get rid of Angie who is the biggest user I have ever seen.

I also loved Sara's family and the town's reaction to Will. They all seem to
Heather
Jan 07, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Karin Slaughter hasn’t let me down yet! Another excellent, edge of your seat book! ...more
Fred
Jun 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
It’s hard to start with the number of characters to sort thru but then the flow is great.
It’s Thanksgiving in Grant County, Georgia -> Special Agent Will Trent of Georgia Bureau of Investigation (GBI) is assigned to 2 cases.

Allison Spooner’s murder & Tommy Braham’s suicide.

Det. Lena Adams helps Will investigate the cases.

(1) Allison Spooner(21) - A Grant Tech college student & waitress, killed at Lover’s Point. Stabbed, tied to cider blocks, thrown into Lover’s Point Lake with a
Karen
Oct 19, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
4 STARS

And the Will Trent story goes on.

There has to be something awfully bad or awfully good to compel a person to turn their lives around.

This one taking us back to Grant County, where Dr. Sara Linton was born and raised, and worked with her late husband, Jeffrey Tolliver, who was the chief of police at the time.

Sara is only there for a visit with her family for the Thanksgiving holiday. But somehow her old life manages to draw her back into the thick of things.

But Sara is not so easily
Piper
Oct 24, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2015
I loved this 4th Will Trent installment. While it was not as gruesome as the three before it, it had me guessing up to the end. I found the last chapter (not the epilogue) to be very emotional in so many ways.

I cannot express how much I want Will and Sara to become romantically involved. If only Angie would quit getting in the way. Argh! She is such a bottom feeder.

Lena had me fooled to a certain extent- I could almost sympathize with her……until the author steered my thinking into a very
Andrea
Apr 06, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favourite
Another 5* rating this book got me hooked from the start,Lena Adams is back.a great crime case body in the water and the murderer wasn't revealed till the end.fantastic read highly recommend.
Ryn
Apr 04, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
Karin Slaughter always gives a pretty good thrill, but I'm getting a little tired of the whole Grant County scene. I absolutely love Will Trent, and I'd like to see him well away from Angie and preferably with Sarah, but all these serial killer-type situations in one tiny, minuscule, happy, joyous (as Slaughter delights in reminding us) town is getting a bit old, frankly.

It was entertaining, especially the interaction between Lena and Frank in the beginning. I was really sort of looking forward
Julie
Broken by Karin Slaughter is a 2010 Delacorte Press publication.

This fourth installment in the Will Trent series once again ties in with Grant County as Sara Linton returns home for the holidays. When a young college girl is found dead, originally the consensus is suicide, but upon further investigation it is discovered she was murdered.

Then a mentally challenged man is arrested for the crime, and promptly commits suicide in his jail cell. Sara knows instinctively that the cops messed up and
Hollis
I could not have imagined a better way to return us to the Grant County series than this one.

In book four of the Will Trent series, we are reunited with difficult characters I have had no problem hating, and this time.. this time I wanted better for them. For me. And BROKEN really tested that because early on I thought we were just going to be right back to where I hated everything. But instead Slaughter redeemed a particular personality in the only way she could be redeemed. Not wholly but
Robin
Aug 05, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2015, suspense, mystery, kindle
Dr. Sara Linton returns to her hometown in Grant County to visit family for the Thanksgiving Holiday. When a college student is found murdered and her assailant arrested, Sara is called to the police station to help calm down the perpetrator. What she finds is a 19-year-old dead in his cell of an apparent suicide. Blaming Detective Lena Adams for not searching Tommy Brahams before putting him in his cell, Sara notifies the Georgia Bureau of Investigations about the negligent detective. ...more
Alan Cotterell
Jun 10, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-2017
Brilliant

Yet another brilliant story from arguably the best out there.
Re read this after about 5 years, still as good as ever. Fantastic characters and storyline.
Laura Peden
Jun 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audible, audiobooks
Broken by Karin Slaughter is book 4 in The Will Trent series. This one is quite a bit different than the others in the series. I didn’t even have to take a break from reading because of torture scenes. It’s definitely more a of a mystery than a thriller, heavier on forensics than the others and there’s more character development to set up the future books. I enjoyed the slower pace of this one and I completely adore Sarah’s character so I was happy she was featured throughout. I really hope ...more
*TANYA*
May 16, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great book!! Great plot!! GREATEST CHARACTER EVER, Will Trent!!! (Does anyone else loathe Angie as much as I do?? I want her out of Will's life from book 1.)
Janet
Not as good as previous ones in the series but still solid. And loving how the characters are developing. Onwards!!
Michelle
May 26, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I loved it! ‘Broken’ is another thrilling masterpiece written by my favorite author, Karin Slaughter!

Not only was ‘Broken’ a great read, but it was wonderful to read about Sara again and get immersed back into a new crime mystery, featuring both her, Will, and of course Lena. With all her books— ‘Broken’included—Karin Slaughter has kept me up late, on the edge of my seat, and glued until the last act—which inevitably comes too quick. I’m always trying to figure out the “whodunnit” part of the
Lauren
Broken
4 Stars

Sara Linton returns to Grant County for the Thanksgiving holiday. When the body of a young girl is pulled from the lake and another young man dies in police custody, she requests GBI assistance and Will Trent is sent to investigate.

The character development is the main focus of the story. Will's skills as an investigator are at the fore, yet it is his deepening friendship with and growing attraction to Sara that is the real highlight. Sara, herself, finally makes the bittersweet
Maureen DeLuca
Broken is the 4th in the Will Trent series- having really liked the first 3 in this series- this one fell short 'just a bit' .

Before you pick up this series- there is a continuation with some of the characters from Slaughter's Grant County series which has a total of 6 books. There are many great reviews in that series- I am one of the very few that wasn't totally crazy about it- even though I read all of the books.

If you are one of the few who are still reading Grant County- finish that -
Nadine
Oct 23, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Broken is another excellent addition to the Will Trent series as Will is tasked with investigating a prisoner suicide and murder after Sara Linton calls him in.

The mystery in Broken is engaging and complex as Slaughter weaves heartbreak, attraction, and murder together to create a mystery that’s hard to put down.

After Sara’s introduction in the previous novel, Geneis, I knew moving forward she would become a central character in this series. Broken’s mystery takes place in her late husband’s
Mike
Oct 27, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
2nd read - I'd first read this about 5 years ago, and when I started, I thought it was from the series Grant County, as it centered on a few of those characters, namely Lena, Sarah and Frank. I was upset and almost stopped, even though I enjoyed that series, because I'm a huge literary fan of Will Trent, a dyslexic Georgia Bureau of Info investigator. Thankfully Will showed up to investigate a murder suspect's suicide in a small town.

Will and Sarah get to know each other more - and I was happy
Esther
Jun 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Oh boy, oh boy. I can't even imagine how many posts I will rave about Karin Slaughter and her books. I loved everything about this book. This woman is my favorite author of all times. I just found out this weekend that I actually have every book she's ever written on my shelves and I can't wait until the day that I've read them all!
Don't read this book before finishing the Grant County Series!

A longer review can be found at Bite Into Books

It's so rewarding if you have read all the books that
Jean
Feb 16, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Broken by Karin Slaughter

So much in this novel is broken. Sara Linton returns to Heartsdale to be with her family during the Thanksgiving holiday for the first time since her husband, Jeffrey Tolliver, was murdered. Her feelings are mixed, at best. Everything reminds her of him, and she still feels his loss. When a college student is found dead and her death is ruled homicide instead of suicide, Sara finds herself caught up in the case. A long-time family friend, Frank Wallace, the acting police
Patrick
Feb 09, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good guy and damaged Will meets good girl Sarah. Good guy Will doesn't know how to deal with his newfound, sweethot emotions. Good girl Sarah hasn't felt so this wonderful way since her cop hubby was murdered four years ago. One major obstacle, Will is married to former detective and childhood sweetheart Angie. Angie, not a good girl by any stretch comes and goes as she pleases...literally.
Three murders and counting in Hicksville, GA, Will is called to unravel the enigma and Sarah just happens
J.D. Robb : Broken by Karin Slaughter (Will Trent #4) - Spoiler Zone 74 57 Jul 27, 2018 10:13PM
Madison Mega-Mara...: Broken 1 10 Aug 05, 2012 04:45AM

• Alone (Detective D.D. Warren, #1)
  • Love You More (Tessa Leoni, #1; Detective D.D. Warren, #5)
  • The Night Fire (Harry Bosch #22; Renée Ballard, #3; Harry Bosch Universe, #32)
  • Live to Tell (Detective D.D. Warren, #4)
  • Never Tell (Detective D.D. Warren #10)
  • The Neighbor (Detective D.D. Warren, #3)
  • Delitos de Pasión: Una novela policíaca de amor y crímenes
  • A Minute to Midnight (Atlee Pine, #2)
  • Blue Moon (Jack Reacher, #24)
  • Say Goodbye (Quincy & Rainie, #6)
  • The Perfect Husband (Quincy & Rainie, #1)
  • Hide (Detective D.D. Warren, #2)
  • The Killing Hour (Quincy & Rainie, #4)
  • Fear Nothing (Detective D.D. Warren, #7)
  • El Demonio de Brooklyn: (Ryan y Bradbury 01) Novela policíaca en español
  • Catch Me (Detective D.D. Warren, #6)
  • The Third Victim (Quincy & Rainie, #2)
  • The Turn of the Key
Karin Slaughter is one of the world’s most popular and acclaimed storytellers. Published in 120 countries with more than 35 million copies sold across the globe, her nineteen novels include the Grant County and Will Trent books, as well as the Edgar-nominated COP TOWN and the instant NEW YORK TIMES bestselling novels PRETTY GIRLS, THE GOOD DAUGHTER, and PIECES OF HER. Her most recent book, THE ...more

Will Trent (10 books)
  • Triptych (Will Trent, #1)
  • Fractured (Will Trent, #2)
  • Undone (Will Trent, #3)
  • Fallen (Will Trent, #5)
  • Criminal (Will Trent, #6)
  • Unseen (Will Trent, #7)
  • The Kept Woman (Will Trent, #8)
  • The Last Widow (Will Trent, #9)
  • The Silent Wife
“Curiosity broke her earlier resolve. "Have you ever been tested?"
"No." He stood behind Sara, holding the camera in front so she could see. "Zoom here," he said, flicking the toggle.
"You could probably-"
"This is macro."
"Will-"
"Super macro." He kept talking over her until she gave up. "Here's where you adjust for color. This is light. Anti-shake. Red-eye." He clicked through the features like a photography instructor.
Sara Finally relented. "Why don't I point and you shoot?"
"All right." His back was stiff, and she could tell that he was irritated.
"I'm sorry I-"
"Please don't apologize."
Sara held his gaze for a few moments longer, wishing she could fix this. There was nothing to say if he wouldn't even let her apologize.”
6 likes