Start by marking “In the Year 2889” as Want to Read:
In the Year 2889

Read Book

In the Year 2889

Article purportedly by Jules Verne, but probably by his son. According to the editor's note at the beginning: "In the Year 2889_ was first published in the _Forum_, February, 1889; p. 262. It was published in France the next year. Although published under the name of Jules Verne, it is now believed to be chiefly if not entirely the work of Jules' son, Michel Verne. In any ...more
Published February 10th 2006 by Wildside Press (first published February 1889)

To ask other readers questions about In the Year 2889, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about In the Year 2889

Start your review of In the Year 2889
Adita ✨The Slumbering Insomniac✨
[7/10]

Every one is familiar with Fritz Napoleon Smith's system—a system made possible by the enormous development of telephony during the last hundred years. Instead of being printed, the Earth Chronicle is every morning spoken to subscribers, who, in interesting conversations with reporters, statesmen, and scientists, learn the news of the day. Furthermore, each subscriber owns a phonograph, and to this instrument he leaves the task of gathering the news whenever he happens not to be in a mood
Duane
The most interesting aspect of this story wasn't the scientific or technological predictions for 2889, but the socio/political state of the world that Verne imagines. Frankly, I think he would be shocked by the technological achievements made in the 125 years since the book was written. This didn't feel like a Jules Verne story to me, so I think almost certainly his son Michael wrote this.
Evelina | AvalinahsBooks
I can now say that the internet must have been a hundred years in the making, if it was so easily predicted in Jules Verne's time (or that of his son, as this is believed to have been mostly written by him). As with any futurologist, parts of it are off, but a truly stunning amount of this is true of our times and you can but wonder at how the minds of the time could foresee or imagine it.

Kind of sad that they predicted space travel, the internet, the advent of news agencies that rule the world
Alexxy
Jan 13, 2016 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2016-reads
Little though they seem to think of it, the people of this twenty-ninth century live continually in fairyland.

I first heard about Jules Verne and his amazing imagination when I was eight years old. Since then, I've always wanted to read his works and see for myself, the things he had imagined of the future. Although it seems like this book had been written by Jules Verne's son, Michel, it still lived up to my expectations.

'In the Year 2889', quoting from the book, is 'the history of one day
Constantine
Rating: 3.0/5.0

A short novella that should be appreciated for its future predictions! This was published in 1889 and talks about the world in 2889, means it was predicting what will happen 1000 years from that time. Some of those predictions we have them today under different names like the internet or social networks. One of the predictions is the space invasion which is interesting and also the shape of politics in future.
This could have been a much interesting read if it was more elaborated
Mimi
Jun 18, 2017 rated it liked it
You just have to admire Jules Verne for his earily good predictions of the future... In this novella, amongst other things, he predicts the existance of videophone and global news coverage by a form of on-demand and live television.
It's quite mindblowing how right he's got it, except for the timeline, all these things developed quite a bit earlier than when he predicts...
Диана
Mar 16, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: science-fiction
I read this story today. It must be the first sci-fi story that I found particularly unimpressive. To be certain, the story isn't set out to be anything like a fully fledged work of fiction, or an ambitious or too elaborate picture of the world in 2889 - it is just a hasty sketch, a quick snapshot of a particular view of the future that the author entertained, as if during a short break from doing something else. Having said this it must be clear why I haven't given the story a lower rating - it ...more
Tatuu
Oct 02, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was an interesting read where through Jules Verne( or Michel Verne's) imagination we see how the 29th century will look like. This whole post is a spoiler.

In the year 2889, people "consume food that is compounded and prepared according to scientific principles, and they breathe an atmosphere freed from the micro-organisms that formerly used to swarm in it; hence they live longer than their forefathers and know nothing of the innumerable diseases of olden times.". Rumours has it that
Mike
Jun 07, 2014 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Anyone

The review from afar – No. 5

Revised forward to these overseas reviews:

Since I am cycling back-and-forth from the US to Asia like a piece of string in search of a yo-yo, I have forgone the usual joy of slugging 8-12 paperbacks along with me and taken a previously unused Kindle 3G along instead. It is to the fine folks at Project Gutenberg that I tip my hat: virtually every title I have or will be reading comes from their worthwhile endeavors (or endeavours, when in a former British colony.)

In the
Filip
Dec 03, 2012 rated it liked it
I won't get into the controversy about who wrote this essay/short story. Suffice to say, we'll never know. What we do know is that, like any other work by Verne (or Verne family in this case), this is work of a visionary.

There is no plot. There is no get-to-know period for the few featured characters. For all we know, Mr. Smith could be either a good guy or a mean son of a bitch mogul, but it doesn't matter.

The goodies? Uncannily exact predictions about the future.

Skyscrapers/overpopulation:
How
F.R.
Jan 31, 2015 rated it liked it
Of course we all enjoyed those articles about ‘Back to the Future part 2’ because it’s fun to see how inaccurate its thirty years into the future predictions were. But what if an artist was more ambitious in his predictions? What if a writer predicted a thousand years into the future, and we were able to somehow look at those predictions – say one hundred and twenty five years later – to try and work out how accurate they’re likely to be.

Step forward, Mr Jules Verne, or perhaps it’s his son,
Raven Cain
Oct 30, 2014 rated it really liked it
I love this old bit of sci-fi. I think the most remarkable thing about it is that for all of his imagination and creativity, Mr. Verne could not picture a wireless world. Nonetheless, it's a classic. A review would be pointless. I enjoyed it very much and highly recommend it.
Ratnesh Neema
Jul 06, 2014 rated it it was ok
Don't expect anything, and the story may turn out just fine. The imagination really feels lacking though, as the progress and inventions described should well be available by 2089, rather that 2889.

That's how hard it is, to predict the future, huh.
James
Jan 14, 2019 rated it liked it
An extremely short story, interesting as a curiosity.
Vanu
Jul 30, 2014 rated it liked it
This WAS SO CUTE TO READ. Awww look at these people (almost accurately, though) predict what the future must look like!
I found it particularly fascinating that, even in their wildest of dreams, no one could even imagine what the internet is today, even if they did get quite close. Also, advertisements on clouds? Melting the poles to make more room for human habitation? Wow, the imagination required for this thing. We are still far away from any adverts being projected on clouds (billboards are
Jessica
I'm not usually one for sci-fi books, but since this is such a short story and I had some time on my hands... Simply said: why the hell not?

First of all I should say that I think the world mister Verne imagined we will live in almost 900 years from now has some really believable elements that I think could just be realized.

On the other hand there are some things that I find a bit weird, like the telephone-newspaper? I mean, sure, there weren't any tablets yet in 1889, but wouldn't a little
Amy
Dec 22, 2012 rated it liked it
The future was closer than Verne thought. 877 years ahead of schedule, we already have Skype, iPods, online newspapers, a life expectancy that is beyond 37 (or even the projected 52), and scientifically created food. However, we do not have a self-renewing energy source and have not found alien life forms within our solar system. Read this novella to experience a day in the life of a man from 2889.
Mehedi Shafi
Dec 03, 2019 rated it liked it
I didn't really find the usual Jules Verne feeling while reading this.
Rao Javed
Mar 05, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: short-story
It was more or less good but merely concepts of a future. No real motive or idea behind the story. That's way I could not read it with much interest.
Nickolas
Dec 06, 2011 rated it it was ok
This book, or short story rather, has a little bit of literary controversy surrounding it because it has been released as Jules Verne however most believe as do I that his son Michael wrote at least half of it. Partially because of this the story isn’t the most loved of his works, which is sort of a shame, not because it’s a great and gripping story, it’s not, but if you look at the fact that it was written, by father or son, in the late 1800’s, we can see impressive imaginative insight on the ...more
Wayne
Mar 16, 2011 rated it liked it
This was an interesting, and quick, read. We all know Jules Verne had a knack for coming up with futuristic concepts and items that ultimately became close to reality (atomic submarines and manned expeditions to the moon, to name a couple). In this novel (or novella, maybe?), he describes a day in the life of a newspaper editor in 2889. Some pretty cool concepts were put across, such as subscribing to news feeds, which are delivered directly to the recipient via telephonic devices and telephote, ...more
Blain
Feb 05, 2011 rated it it was ok
Shelves: kindle
A quick short story that follows around for a day the life of a business tycoon. As most SF, it's interesting to see the culture of the time it was written reflected, most obviously the high regard and infallible nature of the captains of industry. For example, when a cloudless day leaves the advertising department with nothing to project images onto the subject of the story declares seriously that the research department should find a way to make more cloudy days, and this is seen as a ...more
 Reading Divergence
Mar 10, 2012 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Science Fiction, Futuristic, Dystopian
Shelves: march-2012-reads
An enterprising view of the far future composed in 1889, this short essay is said to have been the product of Jules Verne, the famous author of futuristic fiction, but is more likely to have been written by his son Michel Verne. It is interesting now, 123 years after publication, to consider what the Vernes, pere et fils, viewed for 1000 years into the future.

One fine example is a newspaper, published for thirty generations, in America, which is transmitted daily to subscribers in spoken or
Carolyn Injoy
In the Year 2889 by Jules Vern is an interesting example of forecasting a future possibility. It was first published in February 1889. Many of his described devices, while called by different names, have come about at the present time. For the imagination involved I gave it four stars.

"Hence is sprung a pleaid of inventor, its brightest star being our great Joseph Jackson." A pleiad is any group of eminent or brilliant persons or things, especially when seven in number.

I would like to thank
Roy Khadra
Sep 05, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Some writers are underestimated just for the fact that their books are destined to "Children", or just because they write short novels, but I think you have to think twice about your opinion while reading "Jules Verne". Some readers would consider it just a short Sci-Fi story, just a description of the future technology, but I, personally, can't imagine myself in the era of "Verne" (nearly 1889) and having this perspective about the telecommunication (Internet, cell, etc ..) even this political ...more
Chris Aldridge
Apr 20, 2018 rated it liked it
Part of LibriVox Short Science Fiction Collection 006. Regardless of which Verne actually penned this audacious attempt to predict a millennium ahead, this tale reads more like a documentary or lecture than an adventure that I associate with Jules Verne’s previous work. Consumers of SF will of course realise that attempts to predict the future always reveal the preoccupations of the age in which they were penned, and this speculation, like most others, does exactly that. However it was quite ...more
John Cress
Jan 07, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Jane
Sep 15, 2018 rated it liked it
This is a short novel, barely thirty-five page's. It was originally published under Jules Verne's name, but is has since been accredited to his son, Michael Verne. I enjoyed it some what, but it lacks some of the best thing's about Jules Verne's book's. A fan of Verne's book's will enjoy this novel, but don't expect to read a great Jules Verne's book.
Ralph McEwen
May 06, 2011 rated it liked it
A day in the life story. Audio Book MP3 downloaded from http://librivox.org/short-science-fic...
I listen to these short stories while walking to work.
Mark
Nov 26, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: sci-fi, 2014
A good short read about the far future. Love the idea of Corporations making ads visible on the bottom of clouds. I could see that happening in my lifetime.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »

• The Tunnel Under the World by Frederik Pohl, Science Fiction, Fantasy
  • Hallucination
  • The Door in the Wall
  • Youth
Jules Gabriel Verne was a French author who pioneered the genre of science-fiction. He is best known for his novels Journey to the Center of the Earth (1864), Twenty Thousand Leagues Under the Sea (1870), and Around the World in Eighty Days (1873).

Verne wrote about space, air, and underwater travel before navigable aircraft and practical submarines were invented, and before any means of
“Your story is not a picture of life; it lacks the elements of truth. And why? Simply because you run straight on to the end; because you do not analyze. Your heroes do this thing or that from this or that motive, which you assign without ever a thought of dissecting their mental and moral natures. Our feelings, you must remember, are far more complex than all that. In real life every act is the
resultant of a hundred thoughts that come and go, and these
you must study, each by itself, if you would create a living
character. 'But,' you will say, 'in order to note these fleeting
thoughts one must know them, must be able to follow them in their capricious meanderings.You have simply to make use of hypnotism, electrical or human, which gives one a two-fold being, setting free the witness-personality so that it may see, understand, and remember the reasons which determine the personality that acts.”
5 likes