Start by marking “Poster Boy” as Want to Read:
Poster Boy

Poster Boy

Sixteen-year-old Gray Fallon’s life is looking pretty good. His easygoing parents -- a university science professor and silkscreen artist -- are happy for him to entertain his friends in his suburban basement “sweet,” complete with TV, pingpong table, video games and access to the outdoor hottub. Part-time job at the Cineplex, the occasional beer or joint, a smart, funny b ...more
Published April 1st 2011 by Groundwood Books (first published August 25th 2009)

Les
May 18, 2011 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
2.5 Stars --> 3 for the story, 2 for protagonist being such an obnoxious twit (albeit well-intended, but still annoying).

16 yo Gray has a pretty good life, partying with his friends, a part-time job at the local cinema, and occasionally getting the chance to fondle his girlfriend's breasts.

Maggie is his 12 yo sister. She begins to deteriorate from a healthy pre-teen to having significant problems. She limps, bruises easily, develops lumps under her skin, and has to start writing with her othe
K Thornberry
Oct 21, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I think that the book brought awareness to how much an illness can make an impact. No one wants to believe they would loose their minds if something bad happens. Everyone wants to believe they'd keep their cool and focus on fixing the situation. But this book proves that we don't keep our cool. Everything that could go wrong went wrong. It was the opposite of what someone would imagine themselves doing.
Poster boy is a brutally truth and is set to awaken the minds of sleeping thoughts that everyt
E. Anderson
May 10, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Sixteen-year-old Gray Fallon’s life is pretty good. He has an awesome basement bedroom/game room/hangout that is the envy of his friends. He’s started dating one of the prettiest, most popular girls in school (an accomplishment for a part-time stoner like himself). He’s got good friends and a pretty nice family. And then the bombshell hits: his little sister is sick. And, in Gray’s eyes, it could have been prevented.

The more Gray researches, the more he realizes that almost everything in his lif
Canadian Children's Book Centre
Reviewed by Trevor J. Froates

Dede Crane’s latest teen novel Poster Boy delivers a satisfying and emotionally rich story with realistic and colourful characters. This novel deftly explores the serious issues of illness, familial bonds and environmentalism while providing the reader with an enjoyable, though heart wrenching, experience. Crane handles this delicate subject matter with grace and understanding. The reader is left with a sense of hope and an interesting insight into the differences be
kari
May 02, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2010, ya, 5-star
One word review - Beautiful.
Okay, you know I'm not really going to stop with just one single word, so here's a brief description.
Gray is a slacker-stoner teenage boy mostly concerned with smoking weed and when he'll be turning in his 'v-card,' in his hopes, the sooner the better. His life takes a drastic turn when his twelve-year-old brainiac little sister, Maggie, who mostly just irritates him, is diagnosed with cancer.
In an effort to try to help her, he researches what might have caused it an
Christy
Jan 15, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Warning - have a box of tissues close at hand. I finished Poster Boy in my office during a lunch hour and spent the remaining part crying. I should have seen the ending coming but I don’t think I was prepared for the depth of writing or the sensitive portrayal of Maggies illness. This was one of those really good novels – the kind I could not put down. The character of Gray was done so well. His voice is refreshingly authentic. His cancer research and his need to go to the extreme to do everythi ...more
Carmen
auther: Dede Crane
title: Poster Boy
pages: 270
Gene: no matter how short life is you can always love it tothe fullest.
expositon-Sixteen-year-old Gray Fallons life is good. has part time job at the Movies has a beutiful girfried.He has a sister Maggie.
conflics: Gray’s little sister Maggie, gets a rare case ofcancer.Gray Makes a campaing for his sister. Gray gets for involved and ends up leaving his friends behind. he finds out that the cancer may be because of his mothers silksceen job.
resolution:
Marianne
Jun 29, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: young-adult
The character Gray is so unlike the many 16 year old guys I know, I had a hard time believing in him. And, knowing how draining a life threatening illness can be, I couldn't totally swallow Maggie either. However, I enjoyed the story for how it presented the Mom's guilt - how she went over the falls into depression herself. THAT spoke true to life and brought the story through to believable/appreciated. G2L!
Dave Wilson
Nov 22, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 544-advchldlit
Life seems to offer us bits of fantastic with bits of frustrations as well. A well written dialogue that captures the language and daily life of a brother who finds out his sister is dying. Perhaps an avenue for young adults to better cope with the realities of losing a loved one. (realistic fiction)
Donna Burtwistle-Popplewell
A quick read, Dede Crane has done an excellent job here. The voice of 16-year old Gray is believable and the storyline, tragic. How she managed to place humour into this sad tale of a 12-year old sister dying from terminal cancer is clever indeed. Even though you know the end is coming, it still manages to sneak into your heart nonetheless. Get out the kleenex.
myra
May 05, 2010 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
This is pathetic, the kid goes organic to try and cure his kid sister's cancer. In the process, he quits high school {while his parents simply watch} and moves into the woods to grow marijuana. I hate this book. It was a sever disappointment considering it's the first book I've gotten from the library in 3 weeks.
Vandy
health- cancer - life (philosophy) - teen friendship etc
Nora
I know this is listed as Young Fiction, but so far I like it. Quick read.
Mellissa
Mar 09, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Made me cry, but in a good way. I wasn't fond of Gray at first, but he grows on you. It's written from the point of view of a teenage boy, and I get that.
Katie
Alyssa
rated it it was ok
Jul 02, 2010
« previous 1 3 next »
Dede Crane is the author of the literary novel Sympathy, which was a finalist for the Victoria Butler Book Prize. She has also published the teen novel, The 25 Pains of Kennedy Baines. Her first published story, “Seers,” appeared in Grain magazine and was short listed for the CBC Literary Award; she has since been published in numerous literary journals.

Dede has also co-edited, with author Lisa Mo