Start by marking “Ms. Marvel, Volume 8: War of the Marvels” as Want to Read:
Ms. Marvel, Volume 8: War of the Marvels

Ms. Marvel, Volume 8: War of the Marvels

(Ms. Marvel (2006) (Collected Editions) #8)

Not only does new Ms. Marvel Karla Sofen have to deal with Deadpool, now she's got the New Avengers coming at her in full force. It's the exciting prelude to War of the Marvels Then, in War of the Marvels, Karla Sofen battles for her life in the streets of Los Angeles as an exciting new chapter in the history of Ms. Marvel begins Guest starring the New Avengers.

Collecting:
Hardcover, Premiere, 120 pages
Published January 6th 2010 by Marvel

To ask other readers questions about Ms. Marvel, Volume 8, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Ms. Marvel, Volume 8

Start your review of Ms. Marvel, Volume 8: War of the Marvels
Chad
Feb 10, 2021 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2021
It's War of the Marvels as Moonstone masquerading as Ms. Marvel in the Dark Avengers fights two aspects of the real Ms. Marvel. It gets a bit confusing and repetitive at times but it's not bad. Reed tends to leave some connective bits of the story out at times that would make the story more cohesive. Sana Takeda's art is very solid if heavily Manga influenced. ...more
Mike
Mar 16, 2010 rated it really liked it
Seriously, the first cover of the first issue has Moonstone spreading her legs like a Playboy model? I *think* Reed and his artists mostly get past that, but there's still a lot of skintight costumes and prominently thrust-out bosoms on display here.

Which makes it harder to take the woman-a-woman war here completely seriously. There's a slight undertone of exploitation movie to the proceedings, even though the story itself (the plot's bones) is pretty self-actualizational.

Carol & Catherine strug
Anne
Apr 05, 2011 rated it it was amazing
The story was really good, but the art was amazing !
Dan
Jan 22, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Classic Ms Marvel/ Carol Danvers is back from the dead. She fights Dark Avengers Ms Marvel...dopplegangers,and more. Great artwork,and excellent story.
Holden Attradies
Jan 08, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Being a big Thunderbolts fan I couldn't help but thoroughly enjoy the Karla vs Carol Danvers battle for the mantel of Ms. Marvel. This ended up being on of my favorite volumes in this run of Ms. Marvel, despite a few flaws.

What flaws? Well, Danvers death and rebirth was oddly written. Of course no reader actually believed she was dead, but the way the story was told going forward and backward in time over the past book or so was a little odd and made parts of it hard to follow. This was also one
Tym
Sep 16, 2015 rated it really liked it
This volume had some pretty cool ideas that weren’t delved into deep enough in my opinion. The art, while pretty, was not actually good it was very hard to tell various characters apart esp. Carol and Karla
Alice
Oct 31, 2015 rated it really liked it
This story I cool even if I'm not sure what the heck is going on! There are so many version of Ms Marvel! It's fun though with lots of action.

Really like the art in this one too. Even if Karla is also suffering with the costume up the bum crack issue!
Edward Davies
Mar 15, 2017 rated it really liked it
This was another quick read with some awesome artwork, but talk about confusing. There's a one-liner explanation that the Storyteller project was responsible for the multiple Carol's, but I don't remember that part of the story on the previous volume - maybe it wasn't ever mentioned. Still, fans of Danvers will enjoy seeing Karla Sofen continue to play the Ms Marvel role in her place, and be glad when balance is finally restored. ...more
Terry Murphy
May 31, 2019 rated it did not like it
Sweet fancy Moses.

The story is so airless and tepid that you'd imagine that it was written by a classroom of 11 year-olds as an after-school detention assignment.

The pencils are no better. While buxom blondes abound if you read comicbooks, the way that Carol and Karla are drawn is so perversely deformed that I feel guilty reading this in front of my girlfriend.

Don't. Seriously...just, don't.
Adam Graham
Dec 31, 2018 rated it really liked it
This is the War of the Marvels featuring an epic battle between Carol Danvers and Karla Sofen for who will be the one and only Ms. Marvel.

The battle between Carol and Karla is epic. The action is intense with each using their power. Carol's a warrior with skills and grit that Karla just doesn't possess, but Karla's advantage is that she's just a ruthless psychopath. Both maintain a line of talking smack that would make most wrestler bow before them and declare in Wayne World'seque fashion, "We
Esosa
Jun 19, 2018 rated it it was ok
So far all my encounters of Ms. Marvel involve her fighting some alternate version of herself and doing very little "super heroing".

This story line was a little confusing but the art work was great.
Shane
Feb 10, 2019 rated it liked it
Got a little surreal there with the "storyteller babies" changing reality. Seems like they should have given an update on those babies since they're so powerful. ...more
Lisa
Apr 23, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
4 1/2 This book was complicated but oh so much fun!! Where do we go from here? One more volume to go.
Jdetrick
More of the same that Brian Reed has been doing with this title.
Jen
Feb 21, 2019 rated it liked it
This one would have been more fun if it weren't so messy and hurried to clean up the "multiple Marvel" mess. ...more
A. Nixon
Some days I'm frustrated by my own lack of comic book knowledge because I come across volumes like this which I should probably enjoy -- but I'm left confused because I don't have the background and, I think, they tend to rely too much on me having that background.

That said, there really isn't much plot in this one. It's just one long fight-scene between Marvel and Marvel and... Yeah, that gets old. What there is of plot is maybe 6 pages, I think.

I was disappointed with this volume, honestly.
Pturingan
Jul 21, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: comics, superhero
They've been building up to this confrontation for a while and now they deliver on a great story. It's fast-paced, fun and very entertaining. I came away with an appreciation for Moonstone as a character and hope we haven't seen the last of her.

I was not a fan though of the alternating art styles here. I really liked the manga style art in some issues (I presume these were the ones drawn by Sana Takeda) but I really disliked the art in the alt issues.
K
Mar 30, 2013 rated it liked it
Probably my favorite Ms. Marvel trade to date. Part of the identity struggle felt like a rehash from earlier volumes, the dialogue was awful, and the art, while technically sound, bordered on the ridiculous at times. Still, the plot moved, there was plenty of action, and the characters felt somewhat realistic.
Melissa
Jan 28, 2017 rated it really liked it
Read as single issues
Sharon
Apr 16, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: comics
The art is pretty good but the story arc completely mystifies me. I think I'll stick with DeConnick's runs on Captain Marvel for my future reading. ...more
Hilary
Apr 23, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: graphic-novels
Everything about her storyline is always nuts. I'd love to read a couple books where we just follow Carol doing regular super hero stuff. ...more
Gab
May 23, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: graphic-novels
Loved it. It was really good seeing Carol again. She really is a superhero. Still no sympathy for Karla.
Angela
Jun 09, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
4 stars for the artwork, story just an excuse to bring back Ms Marvel.
James Dunphy
Jan 21, 2013 rated it liked it
Probably the best I've ever read of Ms. Marvel. I guess that's good? Eh. ...more
Beaugan Gama

• Dark Reign: The Underside
  • Avengers By Brian Michael Bendis, Vol. 1
  • Captain Marvel, Volume 3: Alis Volat Propriis
  • Dark Reign: Mister Negative
Librarian Note: There is more than one author in the GoodReads database with this name. See this thread for more information. ...more

Ms. Marvel (2006) (Collected Editions) (9 books)
  • Ms. Marvel, Volume 1: Best of the Best