Start by marking “Hide and Seek” as Want to Read:

Published August 1st 2010 by Peachtree Publishers

Start your review of Hide and Seek
Ms. Yingling
Feb 23, 2012 rated it really liked it
Chase's mother and stepfather run a small motel and bait shop in Arizona near the White Mountains. He's tired of having to help with it, so enjoys getting out on his bike to do some geocaching with his GPS. When he finds a note in one of the boxes, it leads him to Sam and Jack, who are living with their father in a tent in the wilderness and struggling to have enough food. The more he gets to know the boys, the more suspicious he becomes that something isn't right with their situation. He looks ...more
Cory R
Nov 04, 2010 rated it it was ok
Hide and Seek wasn't a very good book. The plot with the geocache and the missing children was alright, but most of the main characters, like Chase and his dog named Dexter, were cheesy and didn't really seem real. The setting, in Arizona, was fine, but the whole situation Chase seemed to be far fetched. I wouldn't recommend this to anyone my age, but someone a little younger might like it except for the fact that it might be a little long for their age.
Eric Burns
Jan 18, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: geocaching
The points of view in the book are very realistic. The plot does a very good job of introducing readers to the activity of Geocaching. It also shows the dilemmas we all face when dealing with a serious matter and the potential consequences. In the end, Chase (the main character) does the right things. Everyone who reads the book would probably agree that that there might have been better ways he could have gone about it. However, it is going down that path that teaches readers the lesson about g ...more
Madison
Oct 03, 2014 rated it it was amazing
This book was great! It was exactly what I was looking for in a book. I didn't want it to end, the ending was really sad how he had to leave them and named a geocache after them. If you are into some crime and mystery you would love it. The whole entire book was so exciting and secretive. Its amazing!!
Lynn
Mar 30, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: juvenile-nf
Chase may be envied by other children of divorce because his parents get along, and considers that he has two dads. Both play a part in his upbringing, so he is shocked to find two boys in the woods who say they are 'camping' with their father. The realistic plot is believable, but is it too predictable? I wonder at what point most youngsters would tell their parents. We know his GPS will be a factor, and that at a critical point, the batteries will fail. This foreshadowing and suspense kept me ...more
Kim Burean
Dec 19, 2011 rated it really liked it
Chase takes his new GPS out geocaching. In a cache he finds a note that says, "We need food." He spies two boys and befriends them. He has suspicions that their dad may have kidnapped them. He doesn't tell anyone, but tries to intervene on his own.

This is an exciting book about a boy who is trying to do the right thing. He wants to handle the situation by himself, but the whole time I was screaming at him in my head to tell his parents and get help.
Erin
Nice solid story that does a good job highlighting the struggles of a young boy as he tries to become an adult. The drama is relatively plausible and doesn't feel contrived for the sake of drama.

The story also deals with the issue of a noncustodial parent kidnapping his children without dwelling on the reasons behind the action so be prepared to discuss the topic with younger readers.

Overall good book.
Callie
Sep 05, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I really liked this book. The story flowed and I liked the part where the boy is stuck in the desert and he finds a circle k. Circle k actually had a commercial where these guys where walking from a the parking lot into the store and where totally over exaggerating the heat. They where making it sound like they where stuck in the desert. Anyways I thought this was a really good book. It had lots of suspense and I liked how the main character was young. I give it a five.
Katie Nelson
Sep 22, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I loved this book. it is very interesting, adventurous, and mysterious. It is about a boy that loves geocaching and goes one day and finds 2 boys that need help because they got kidnapped from their dad. Every day they go secretly to meet the boy and his dog and he gives them food. Then one day the dad finds out that the boy has been coming and tries to shoot him. The boy has to find out how to sneak away and get home when he is two hours away at midnight in a forest with no location available.
Josh Newhouse
Jun 30, 2010 rated it really liked it
Exciting entertaining preposterous but enjoyable. Beginning started a little slow, until they explained what geocaching was, and at times it did feel like a commercial for gpses... I think that it would be an enjoyable read for upper elem or maybe middle... Better than its generic cover would indicate.
Nicholas Teeple
Jan 28, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I really enjoyed reading this book. This book kept me reading because of the mysterious plot and the outcast characters in it. I liked how the setting was described and how it made the forest seem like a much cooler place than it really is in my opinion. Overall, I rated this book a 5/5 stars because of how well written it was and how it twists in obscure ways.
Kim Gontarz
Feb 08, 2016 added it
Shelves: adventure
Chase is excited to be able to Geocache but then finds a strange message on a log. What does it mean? WE NEED FOOD Who is this and why are they leaving messages? Can Chase help them or is he going to be in over his head?
Elaine
Jul 06, 2017 rated it it was ok
Shelves: 5th-grade
Disappointing. Wondering if kids might be less critical.
Geocaching. Missing children? Had a lot of possibilities to be a capture you high adventure story. Characters did not come to life and adventure became unbelievable.
Suzan Jackson
Our entire family LOVED this new middle-grade novel about a geocaching mystery. Read my full review at:

Andrew
Sep 17, 2013 rated it it was amazing
It is really exciting and funny but sad at the same time.
Nicole
Mar 24, 2014 rated it liked it
The beginning dragged a little but the middle got very exciting. Recommend this book to anyone that wants to read a middle grade adventure story.
Trevor
Mar 30, 2014 rated it it was amazing
good so far i wonder if the have any other book like it by the same author.
Grant
Feb 27, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: 5-6 graders
I loved this book. Perfect for someone who loves adventure with a little bit of mystery mixed in! I like how he never gave up on trying to save those kids! Overall this was a great book!
Jolie
Knitwit
Feb 13, 2016 rated it really liked it
Dolores
Mar 12, 2016 rated it really liked it
A real page-turner. I zipped through this one in no time. Part mystery, part adventure, this is a great boy book--but girls will enjoy it too.
Karen
This will be a surprise!
lilylovespjo
Feb 28, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Interesting! I kept wanting to read on!
Stephen Gallup
Aug 01, 2018 rated it liked it
Over summer vacation I've brought home a lot of library books for my 11-year-old. Most do not engage him, but this one did. Every day while he was reading it he talked about "geocaching." He explained that concept to me, and sounded ready to try it out himself. Then he said I ought to read the book. So I did.

Geocaching, the activity in which someone leaves a container full of odds and ends in a hidden location and other people use GPS devices to find it, seems to be a metaphor for the real story
Chelby
Dec 13, 2018 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: 5th-6th graders
Recommended to Chelby by: Read it in my 5th grade class
Ok, so I remember reading this book when I was in the 5th grade. I absolutely loved it. The adventure, the detail, the suspense, everything about it I loved. I am currently in 8th grade now and I needed a book to read for my English class. I saw this book and wanted to read it, remembering how much I enjoyed it. With more advanced reading skills, I realized that the things in this book that happened are not realistic. Don't get me wrong, it's a good book, but some of the things that happen would ...more
Jan
Feb 01, 2019 rated it liked it
Fourteen-year-old Chase lives with his mother, stepfather, and two siblings in the high country of Arizona, where they rent cabins and run a convenience store—both tourist-driven business that aren't doing very well. The family is considering a move back to Phoenix, where Chase's father lives and there are better opportunities both for parents and children. Chase, however, loves the high country and doesn't want to leave. In particular, he loves geocaching, a sort of a treasure-hunting game invo ...more
Bethany
Nov 06, 2018 rated it really liked it
Recommended by a student. Exciting realistic fiction -- protagonist Chase finds a mysterious message in a geocache book and tries to unravel the mystery before time runs out. Family drama, wilderness exploration, and enticing details about geocaching (plus info in the afterword about how to get started) are all great hooks to keep kids reading. Good story for kids who like mystery/adventure.
Claire Klassen
Sep 22, 2017 rated it liked it
A perfect read for my middle school students with just the right mix of mystery and adventure.
Alysia
May 10, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: kids, 2018
This book was ok for me. My 5th graders seemed to really enjoy it though! It kept them in suspense and it was definitely a good read aloud book.
Teresa
« previous 1 3 next »

• Zach's Lie (Zach's Lie, #1)
  • The Unteachables
  • They Said It Would Be Fun: A Hilarious Journey Learning to Hike the NH 48
  • The Miscalculations of Lightning Girl
  • Merci Suárez Changes Gears
  • Belly Up (FunJungle, #1)
  • House Arrest (House Arrest, #1)
  • Harbor Me
  • Running Out of Time
  • The Secret Within
  • The Man Who Loved Clowns
  • Double Identity
  • Forty Autumns: A Family's Story of Courage and Survival on Both Sides of the Berlin Wall
  • Orbiting Jupiter
Katy Grant grew up in Tennessee and decided at age eight she wanted to be a writer after reading a biography of Louisa May Alcott. (But for some strange reason she never got around to reading Little Women until she was an adult.) For many years she taught composition and creative writing courses at university and community colleges. She currently lives in Arizona with her husband Eric and enjoys s ...more