Start by marking “The Complete Peanuts, Vol. 14: 1977-1978” as Want to Read:
The Complete Peanuts, Vol. 14: 1977-1978

The Complete Peanuts, Vol. 14: 1977-1978 (The Complete Peanuts #14)

4.44  ·  Rating details ·  401 Ratings  ·  28 Reviews

As the 1970s wind down, the last two recurring Peanuts characters have fallen into place: Snoopy’s brother Spike and the youngest Van Pelt sibling,
Rerun. But that doesn’t mean Schulz’s creativity has diminished; in fact, this volume features an amazing profusion of hilariously distinctive new one-
(or two-) shot characters!

For instance, in an epic five-week sequence, when

Published September 27th 2010 by Fantagraphics (first published September 8th 2010)

To ask other readers questions about The Complete Peanuts, Vol. 14, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Complete Peanuts, Vol. 14

Kevin Hogan
Aug 10, 2017 rated it really liked it
Solid work.

Linus, Woodstock, and Snoopy all get into a fight with World War II (the cat next door). Snoopy is a helicopter. Woodstock's bird friends are named (Bill, Conrad, Olivier). Truffles makes another appearance. Cristo wraps Snoopy's doghouse. We are introduced to Eudora (who Sally meets at camp) and Molly Volley (Snoopy's hyper-aggressive mixed-doubles tennis partner). Snoopy is the Cheshire Beagle and gets stuck that way. Sally reads a report to her class about Santa and his rain gear.
Heather
Aug 23, 2011 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Peanuts fans, pop culture aficionados
Starting to play a little too much into the times for me to think it the ultimate in comic expression. There is a LOT of material about jogging, tennis—even a week with Snoopy dressed as John Travolta and doing disco! Some great obscure characters happen by, like Truffles (introduced in the last book) and Eudora. Molly Volley and Crybaby Booby are colorful tennis players Snoopy encounters in tournament. Sadly, there is one joke that gets overused in this volume—the cat next door swiping a patter ...more
Łukasz Sidorkiewicz
Dec 25, 2017 rated it really liked it
Rok 77' to w mojej ocenie spadek formy. Ale w 78' Schulz powraca do życia! Chociażby dla kibicowania Peppermint Patty w potyczkach z systemem szkolnym (jak ona zdawała?) czy cierpliwości Schroedera do Lucy... No i trzeba przeczytać kolejny tom, żeby dowiedzieć się co to za ruda dupka, w której kocha się Charlie Brown xD Fistaszki to prawdziwa szkoła życia!
Brent
Dec 31, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: peanuts
After a fairly grueling, post holiday work week it was nice to get a few Peanuts strips in before bed.

Perhaps this volume doesn't reflect Mr. Schulz's best work, but as a part of the entire Peanuts oeovre, I am no less amazed!
Andrew
Mar 18, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: comics
Well past its 1950's and 1960's peak. But still charming.
Todd Glaeser
Jan 02, 2018 rated it really liked it
Classic Peanuts. (And now that the books have reached the late 70's, I find that I remember reading some of them from the original newspaper printing rather than the Fawcett paperbacks.)
Rick
Nov 02, 2010 rated it liked it
Shelves: comics
This is the fourteenth volume in the series, with approximately eleven more to come. It’s the first one with a strong indication of waning creativity, where cuteness overtakes cleverness, where originality gives way to routine. To put that in context, the strip is 27 and 28 years old at this point. “Saturday Night Live” fell into bad habits of self-mimicry and outright repetition some time during its first season and then minted that as its formula going forward. Brilliant at times, but far more ...more
Kelly
Jun 17, 2017 rated it really liked it
Cheshire Beagle. Peppermint Patty loves Chuck. And Snoopy almost gets married.
Rugg Ruggedo
Jan 01, 2014 rated it it was amazing
The intro to this volume is done by Alex Baldwin,comparing Schulz to Twain, but still being happy it was Shulz who did Peanuts not Twain.
My favorite thing in 77-78 was the creation of Sally
s friend Eudora. They meet at summer camp and then Eudora moves near by. Later Linus gives his blanket to Eudora because "she smile at me". Sally isnt happy, especially when she calls him her sweet baboo! The blanket ends up with the cat next door and a huge fight developes for possession. It turns out Woodst
Scott
Nov 29, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Another great Peanuts collection - this period features lots of Sally, who's become one of the funnier characters, for my money - also lots of Peppermint Patty, though maybe a little less than the preceding two year run, when she was really sort of dominant. Also lots of recycling of Lucy's unrequited love for Schroeder, and another reappearance of Pigpen - for one strip again, but that's a lot more than we've come to expect. Either Schulz was feeling guilty about writing him out of the strip, o ...more
Mike Jensen
Feb 08, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Schulz begins his mature phase with these strips. They may not be as laugh-aloud funny as in the past, but they are wise and knowing about human nature, eliciting a knowing smile, while at the same time going deeper into fantasy with Snoopy playing helicopter and, apparently, actually leaving the ground. Snoopy is the id unleashed, after all. He also becomes a scoutmaster for a flock of birds, again making wise strips about HUMAN nature. The balance between the id and responsibility is very inte ...more
Linda
Dec 17, 2016 rated it it was amazing
It's fun to look at the years and see how they parallel one's life. This book covers my last two years in college and my first foray into my professional life. While I was doing that: Snoopy was working on his tennis career, honing his wilderness leadership skills with his troop of little birds; Sally went to camp and made a new friend of Eudora, kept up a running commentary with her school building; good ol' Charlie Brown continues to try and win a baseball game, kick a football, find the meani ...more
J.V. Seem
Mar 14, 2011 rated it really liked it
Another wonderful Peanuts collection!

I love the good ol' features of Charlie Brown and the football, of "five cents please", Sally's conversations with school and Peppermint Patty's troubles with it, not to mention the antics of Snoopy and Woodstock and all the other adventures the gang gets up to.

A newer feature is the artistic claw-slashes of the cat next door, always brought on by Snoopy's taunts. Always witty and to the point.

I still think the strips from the early seveties were the best one
Fizzgig76
Sep 13, 2010 rated it it was ok
Charlie Brown runs from the EPA, Snoopy teams up with Molly Volley, and Peppermint Patty tries to fight her sleeping problem. Peanuts has reached it rut. It has become very Snoopy-centric at this point and many of the other minor characters don't show up in the two year stretch. Schulz also continues his string of having the dailies usually tie together for a week or two weeks at a time. This works in the context of the collections but as individual strips the jokes can be few and far between.
Tammy
Jan 08, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: comics
When these comics first came out I was around 7 years old, and even though the Peanuts gang were in elementary school with me the comics had been published since 1950. It's amazing to me now, how much I relate to them as an adult as well. Snoopy is still my favorite.

Matti Karjalainen
Vuodet 1977-1978 eivät olleet Tenavien kannalta mitenkään ikimuistoisia, vaan pikemminkin sellaista perusvarmaa suorittamista. Nerokkaita oivalluksia mahtuu edelleen mukaan, mutta mitäänsanomattomia strippejä (mm. Ressun ja naapurin hirviökissan välinen vuoropuhelu) on joukossa entistä enemmän.
Jennifer Campaniolo
Jan 03, 2013 rated it really liked it
I love how these strips speak to me as an adult almost (or more) than they did when I read them as a child. Who knew Snoopy was familiar with the work of environmental artist Christo (who wraps the doghouse?) Great stuff.
Erik
Nov 22, 2016 rated it liked it
Continuing from the previous volume, the focus here is still primarily on Snoopy and Peppermint Patty. Some repeats in jokes, but mostly it's good.
Greg Brozeit
Dec 24, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: peanuts
Another strong collection. Especially liked the strips when scout leader Snoopy takes Woodstock and his friends Conrad, Bill and Olivier on hikes. Snoopy as a helicopter was also funny.
Matthew Gilbert
May 20, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Loved it. Sweet, funny and just awesomely Peanuts!
Rebecca
Oct 01, 2010 rated it really liked it
By this time the characters are well established and they do all the things we associate them with.
Naomi Simon
May 21, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: joshua
This book is about the peanuts gang in 1977-1978
Brian
Jul 03, 2012 rated it liked it
This was a very very quick read, I read it during my lunch hour. Compared to the other Peanuts books, it wasn't my favorite, but overall, I enjoyed this a lot. Some of the subplots made me chuckle.
Denicemarcell
Aug 28, 2010 marked it as to-read
february 8th, 2011 didn't think it possible but i may have overdosed on Peanuts. or it could be i prefer the earlier years.
Greg Allan Holcomb
Sep 09, 2010 rated it really liked it
Shelves: books-i-own
I can't believe that an Actor wrote one of the better introductions in this series.

Snoopy Helicopter appearance.
Lee Anne
Oct 05, 2012 rated it really liked it
This one has lots of tennis, so of course I loved it. It's fun to finally reach references that I may actually remember.
Ashley
  • She Started It!
  • Eight Yards Down and Out: A FoxTrot Collection
  • The Bloom County Library, Vol. 3: 1984-1986
  • Night of the Crash-Test Dummies
  • Popeye, Vol. 2: Well Blow Me Down!
Charles Monroe Schulz was an American cartoonist, whose comic strip Peanuts proved one of the most popular and influential in the history of the medium, and is still widely reprinted on a daily basis.

Schulz's first regular cartoons, Li'l Folks, were published from 1947 to 1950 by the St. Paul Pioneer Press; he first used the name Charlie Brown for a character there, although he applied the name in
More about Charles M. Schulz

The Complete Peanuts (1 - 10 of 26 books)
  • The Complete Peanuts, Vol. 1: 1950-1952
  • The Complete Peanuts, Vol. 8: 1965-1966
  • The Complete Peanuts, Vol. 9: 1967-1968
  • The Complete Peanuts, Vol. 10: 1969–1970
“Why me, lord? Don't answer that!” 29 likes
“One moment, please... We interrupt our regular program to bring you this special bulletin: It's a nice day outside.” 22 likes