Start by marking “Writer's Inc” as Want to Read:
Writer's Inc

Writer's Inc

3.94  ·  Rating details ·  321 Ratings  ·  16 Reviews
It's a handbook...and much more!

Writers INC is, first and foremost, a complete writing handbook covering everything from writing paragraphs to writing research papers, from taking notes to taking essay tests, from writing with style to writing in the real world. No matter what type of information or help you need--guidelines, samples, rules, or friendly advice--you'll find
Published February 16th 2000 by Great Source Education Group (first published August 1st 1984)

To ask other readers questions about Writer's Inc, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Writer's Inc

minervasowl
Mar 21, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Sure it has funny little pictures that make it look like it is written for elementary school students, but the examples are wonderfully clear and silly enough so that you remember the rules. I have had and used this book for many years.

Forget all of those stuffy grammar and punctuation handbooks so often handed out in high school and college composition classes. *This* is the handbook you need.
Skinnypeterm
Jan 17, 2010 rated it really liked it
I used this writing handbook in high school as was required. Still a useful guide when I need to get back to the basics in my writing.
jacky
I've used this book to help teach writing, but don't hand it out as a textbook. I've also used it through Sylvan.

What makes them excellent is that these books break down writing into simple parts and use a lot of examples. The way the pages are formated with bold, graphics, and such also make them easy to use and not as intimidating as say Warriener's. They contain both grammar and direction on different types of writing.
Jessie
Jul 04, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This resourceful book has helped me through high school and college. I'm hanging on to it after all these years because it's a great reference to go back to for information.
Sydney Parker
Mar 03, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I loved this book when I was a kid!
Nhu Luong
Jan 27, 2014 rated it liked it
I think this book was written mainly for high school students due to its content and format. It is well-organized, clear and easy to read. It supplements students' writing skills with outlines of a certain type of essay ( persuasive essay ,business letter, research paper, response to literature, etc. ). However, I find this book to be dull and not very specific. All the rubrics are almost the same for different types of essay. Therefore, I would recommend this book to a freshman or a sophomore b ...more
Andy
Mar 25, 2008 rated it it was amazing
The plasticized cover of the ugly yellow old '89 version resists both Sprite and being hucked across the room in rage.

But keep it handy and you will never be confused by a gerand, present participle or proper apostrification of either its or it's. At least for the next 30 minutes...
David
Jan 15, 2008 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
This was my writing guide/grammar book in high school, which I never actually used at the time. I think I actually stole this copy from the "newsroom" of the Pow Wow, my school newspaper.
Kelli
Jan 07, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: reference
This is a great english resource. I still use it, even though I bought it early in high school.
Karen Stoquert watson
I have my original yellow Writers Inc book from 11th grade and still pull and still pull it out to use it. Bought our daughter this one for her to use.
Ist 605
Rather than being geared towards one field, Writers Inc. is a wonderful reference to turn to for any type of writing. I wish I would have known about this source in undergrad! -Corey
Lucius
Feb 17, 2011 added it
Useful for writing back when I didn't have the Internet.
Erika Nerdypants
Excellent handbook on writing skills. Very well organized so that you can find what you are looking for quickly, and the point form it uses was very user friendly.
Dawn
Jan 07, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book was everything to me in high school.
Shavonne
Oct 01, 2014 rated it it was ok
This is good
Runa
Apr 07, 2007 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: writers
Shelves: runasbooks
great reference for writers, required for many english classes
Ivy
Aug 31, 2015
Morgan
Mar 15, 2011
  • A Pocket Style Manual
  • Writing Science Fiction & Fantasy (Writing Series)
  • The Elements of Grammar
  • Thuggin In Miami (The Family Is Made : Part 1)
  • World-Building
  • Time Travel
  • Writing on Both Sides of the Brain: Breakthrough Techniques for People Who Write
  • Setting: How to Create and Sustain a Sharp Sense of Time and Place in Your Fiction
  • The Writer's Guide to Character Traits: Includes Profiles of Human Behaviors and Personality Types
  • The Elements of Editing
  • Painless Grammar (Painless Series)
  • How to Write a Damn Good Novel, II: Advanced Techniques For Dramatic Storytelling
  • Telling Lies for Fun & Profit: A Manual for Fiction Writers
  • What If? Writing Exercises for Fiction Writers
  • The Little Red Writing Book: 20 Powerful Principles of Structure, Style, and Readability
  • 501 Spanish Verbs: Fully Conjugated in All the Tenses in a New Easy-To-Learn Format Alphabetically Arranged
  • The Writer's Complete Fantasy Reference: An Indispensable Compendium of Myth and Magic
  • Creating Character Emotions