Start by marking “Light from Heaven (Mitford Years, #9)” as Want to Read:
Light from Heaven (Mitford Years, #9)

Light from Heaven

(Mitford Years #9)

It's never too late.

Father Tim Kavanagh has been asked to "come up higher" more than once. But he's never been asked to do the impossible-until now. The retired Episcopal priest takes on the revival of a mountain church that's been closed for forty years. Meanwhile, in Mitford, he's sent on a hunt for hidden treasure, and two beloved friends are called to come up higher.
Published October 31st 2006 by G.P. Putnam's Sons (first published 2005)

To ask other readers questions about Light from Heaven, please sign up.
Norma I'm sorry, but the book "In the company of others" tells about his second trip to Ireland! In it he refers to the trip made to Ireland with his cousin…moreI'm sorry, but the book "In the company of others" tells about his second trip to Ireland! In it he refers to the trip made to Ireland with his cousin and his cousin's wife made 10 years earlier. That is the one that I am trying to find!(less)
This question contains spoilers… (view spoiler)
Kathleen Daly It is explained in the next book.

Joy Gerbode
Feb 05, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Wow ... a new favorite poet (Wordsworth) and many new favorite moments. I absolutely LOVED this book (even more than some of the others) and I don't think I read it with the rest of the series many years ago. The wonders of God's love, the blessings of the Lenten season, all these have come home to me as "new" truths ... though I've known them for years. I feel a spiritual renewal beginning to work in my own life, and I'm loving it!
Gwen
Jan 09, 2013 rated it really liked it
This is the last book in this series. I am so very happy that I chose this book to end the year and begin the new one with. It was like being with a trusted friend. All of the characters in this series have been so very interesting and even over a period of a few years, you don't forget them. (Even if you can't remember where you put the car keys.) As I was nearing the end of the book, a friend called, or maybe I called her. She was in her car, driving in northern Michigan where she lives. She c ...more
Ellen Trautner
Oct 09, 2017 rated it really liked it
According to the inside flap, this was the last book in the Mitford series. Apparently the Father Tim series (I've read the one where he goes to his hometown, and the trip to Ireland) both happen after this book. Also I've already read Come Rain or Come Shine, which happens after this book, and I thought it was a Mitford book? Reading them out of order doesn't take away from my enjoyment of them, but probably would've been helpful in keeping track of who's alive and who's dead when, and the stat ...more
Linda Klager
Jun 13, 2018 rated it really liked it
A very detailed book of the life of Father Timothy Kavanagh. He led a really full life serving the people at his church and community. There is a lot of good advice, poetry, and Scripture in this book. Father Tim respected people and showed them Jesus' compassion.
Cindy
Mar 12, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: tbr-challenge
Lovely, warm story with characters that are like family - this is another excellent installment in the Mitford series. Just right for reading around the Easter season (or any time really). The story begins just before Easter when Father Tim is asked to get a small country church restarted. Tim and Cynthia are living on Meadowgate farm while the owners are away for a year when he's asked to be vicar at Holy Trinity, a small church tucked on the mountainside. There are new characters (Miss Agnes a ...more
Ariane
Jan 14, 2019 rated it liked it
Another solid in the Mitford series. Great for relaxing and exiting from the scary real world. A lot of God talk so for atheists to enjoy---you have to be able to let that stuff waft over. But if you believe in the goodness of people or Need to believe in the goodness of people, it's a comforting read.
Britt Lovelady
Apr 09, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Anyone who likes the Mitford series
Shelves: fiction
The final book in the Mitford series was definitely the best. It was what I’d come to expect from Karon: good people you’d like to know from a small town going about their daily lives. This book found Father Tim and Cynthia living at Meadowgate Farm. His friend, Stuart, appointed him to be vicar of a small out-of-the-way church and allows him to meet several new people from that church. Heaven ends the series nicely, with Dooley taking Father Tim’s last name and finding out that he has inherited ...more
Melinda
Aug 27, 2012 rated it really liked it
Knowing that this was the final book in the Mitford series, I was curious to discover how Karon would choose to conclude it. I thought that another change of setting for the Kavanaghs, Meadowgate Farms, as well as new, lively characters, the patrons of Holy Trinity, really refreshed the story. Father Tim's experiences there highlighted the infinite good that can come to those who choose to change their lives for the better. I enjoyed becoming acquainted with Agnes and Clarence Merton, the Mckinn ...more
Joyce
Jul 31, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fiction
Public library copy. This is #9 in the Mitford series, which I love, about the year Father Tim and Cynthia spent 'farm-sitting'.

While there were a few rough edges to this house-sitting setup, the story rang as true as ever for the Kavanagh clan. My favorites in this edition are Sammy Barlowe, his brother Dooley, and JC the Mitford Muse editor. There are many new characters in this book, many of whom are quite interesting, and it is jam packed with activity. More than one chapter produced tears.
Joy
Apr 05, 2009 rated it it was amazing
This is the last in a series of books about the life of priest in a small town--Mitford. I love the relaxing reassuring tone of these books. I come away uplifted and edified as well as entertained. The characters are my age, facing some of the same problems and joys I face. The values are my values. Prayer is a daily part of Father Kavanagh's life and when he is really serious about something he prays "the prayer that never fails"--Thy will not mine be done. What's not to like? There are a few I ...more
Krystal
Feb 17, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2009-books
Ahh!! I had forgotten how much I love Father Tim and the town of Mitford! The only problem was it has been some time sice I read the other books in the series that there were a few characters/events I could not quite remember clearly. I think I'll have to go back and reread them!! :-) I'm just sad that this is the last book in the series. I feel like I've lost some good friends. That's always the mark of a great book for me!
Hank Pharis
Jul 09, 2015 rated it really liked it
This may be the best of the 8 books in this series that I have read thus far. I think the reason this series is so popular is that it portrays life more like it ought to be. Mitford is not a perfect place and none of the characters are perfect. However things are so much better than they usually are that they touch our longings for this life to be better than it normally is.
Going
Oct 12, 2010 rated it it was ok
Oh my goodness! I finally finished this book! I had to drag myself through this one. I'm not sure what happened to Jan with this book. I couldn't keep up with all the characters, I didn't care at all about most of the characters. I'm not sure why this one was so different than her other books, but I was just not into this book at all.
Barbara
Jan 29, 2009 rated it it was amazing
I have read all of the Mitford books and although they will never be considered "great" literature, I find them a refreshing read harking back to a simpler time and good down-to-earth people. Sort of makes you wish it could realy be that way.
Kristen
May 09, 2017 rated it liked it
This book in the series seemed rather fast paced and hard to follow at times as it sped through the year at Holy Trinity. I wish more of the day to day life at Meadowgate could have been explored. Perhaps this would have suited two books.
Stephanie
Sep 13, 2008 rated it really liked it
This book is the latest from The Mitford Series. I love these books. I love the characters and the friendly "Mayberry" feel of the town. I love to get lost in the daily goings-on of the simple yet spiritual life of Father Cavanaugh.
Nicole
Dec 12, 2011 rated it it was amazing
When I read this, we believed it was the last Mitford novel (thank goodness she changed her mind and has allowed us to visit in Mitford again!). I savored each and every word and took the journey with Father Tim. The whole series is a must read!
Agnes
Jun 28, 2017 rated it really liked it
An enjoyable read. After reading thrillers and mysteries I need to read something not so heart-pumping. Jan Karon writes picturesque, detailed, humorous stories.
Mar 15, 2009 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-in-the-past
As Christian Fiction goes, I really liked this series. Jan Karon creates a town were life seems simpler, people seem friendlier. Every time I read one, it made me long for the same in my life.
Shirlyn
Aug 10, 2009 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I liked whole series, but this one dragged a bit.
Janice
Oct 16, 2012 rated it it was ok
For me this last (?) book in the series was a disappointment.
Kimberly
Aug 25, 2008 rated it it was ok
The last of the Mitford series. Was ok. Not as good as the others. Maybe it's a good thing this series is ending.
Rosanne
Dec 30, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: gentle-reads
I enjoy these books, and I am excited to read Jan Karon's latest book.
E.A. Lawrence
Nov 26, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Another beautiful entry in the Mitford saga filled with love, loss, abiding faith, and forgiveness. And lots of food.
Winter Sophia Rose
Dec 14, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Adventure, Love, Laughter, Tears & Fulfilling! An Excellent Light & Peaceful Series! I Loved It...Book After Book After Book!
Kirsten

I’ll admit straight up: I haven’t read any other book by this author before. Meaning, I haven’t read any of the previous eight books in this series. I think that was both good and bad for me. How so?

Bad because I was jumping into the conclusion of a story I hadn’t followed since the beginning. Many characters appeared briefly, apparently having larger parts earlier in the series, but I didn’t connect with them emotionally since I didn’t follow their advent
Cathy
Book 9. Sometimes I get so tired of reading teen books with my kids, where characters are hacking up monsters - or each other - that it's good to read a book of kindness. I think of this series as a series of kindnesses, and they are as soothing as a cup of hot tea. Yes, I know that courage is an important virtue, ("the virtue without which, there would be no other virtues"), but kindness is a virtue, too.

Although I knew it was coming, having read the series before, years ago, I cried at the dea
Carol
Nov 10, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Second Read: It's been so many years since reading the Mitford Years by Jan Karon. I absolutely love them, and re-reading a few of them has been really calming where a lot of the murder mysteries are anything but calming. Father Tim and his wife Cynthia are retired and are suffering from boredom. Stewart, Tim's "Boss" has told him that they have an assignment coming for him. They are very much looking forward to something new. Wow ... a new favorite poet (Wordsworth) and many new favorite moment ...more
Chris
Nov 22, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: jan-karon
THIS SUMMARY/REVIEW WAS COPIED FROM OTHER SOURCES AND IS USED ONLY AS A REMINDER OF WHAT THE BOOK WAS ABOUT FOR MY PERSONAL INTEREST. ANY PERSONAL NOTATIONS ARE FOR MY RECOLLECTION ONLY
Madison Mega-Mara...: #137 - Light from Heaven 1 1 Sep 07, 2017 10:58AM
Who shows up 1 3 Jan 24, 2016 03:21PM
  • Almost Friends (Harmony, #6)
  • Miss Julia Stands Her Ground (Miss Julia, #7)
  • The Ladies of Covington Send Their Love (Ladies of Covington, #1)
  • The Yada Yada Prayer Group Gets Caught (The Yada Yada Prayer Group #5)
  • A Can of Peas
  • Changes at Fairacre (Fairacre, #18)
  • The Lumby Lines (Lumby Series Book 1)
  • Dearest Dorothy, Help! I've Lost Myself!  (Dearest Dorothy, #3)
  • Home for the Holidays (Tales From Grace Chapel Inn, #7)
Born Janice Meredith Wilson in 1937, Jan Karon was raised on a farm near Lenoir, North Carolina. Karon knew at a very early age that she wanted to be a writer. She penned her first novel when she was 10 years old, the same year she won a short-story contest organized by the local high school. Karon married as a teenager and had a daughter, Candace.

At 18, Karon began working as a receptionist for

Mitford Years (1 - 10 of 14 books)
  • At Home in Mitford (Mitford Years, #1)
  • A Light in the Window (Mitford Years, #2)
  • These High, Green Hills (Mitford Years, #3)
  • Out to Canaan (Mitford Years, #4)
  • A New Song (Mitford Years, #5)
  • A Common Life: The Wedding Story (Mitford Years, #6)
  • In This Mountain (Mitford Years, #7)
  • Shepherds Abiding (Mitford Years, #8)
  • Home to Holly Springs (Mitford Years, #10)
  • In the Company of Others (Mitford Years, #11)
“If thou indeed derive thy light from Heaven, Then, to the measure of that heaven-born light, Shine, Poet! In thy place, and be content. . . —WILLIAM WORDSWORTH” 5 likes
“There are three stages in the work of God: impossible, difficult, done.” 5 likes