Start by marking “ZooBorns!: Zoo Babies from Around the World” as Want to Read:
ZooBorns!: Zoo Babies from Around the World

ZooBorns!: Zoo Babies from Around the World

4.11  ·  Rating details ·  245 Ratings  ·  54 Reviews

A Simon & Schuster eBook
Published October 19th 2010 by Beach Lane Books (first published September 1st 2010)

To ask other readers questions about ZooBorns!, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about ZooBorns!

Kathryn
Aug 10, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: anyone who loves cute animal babies!
When I found this book on the new books shelf, I had to catch myself before uttering a loud squeal that would have certainly garnered me a few "shusshes!" But, come on, how cute is that bengal tiger cub on the cover!? ;-) And if even the sternest of librarians looked at the fifteen little pictures on the back cover (everything from baby hippos to baby foxes), I imagine their heart would melt, too.

The photographs in this book are darling!!! I think my favorites are the baby elephant playing with
Ann
This is an adorable collection of photographs of various baby animals -- from tigers to hyenas, aardvarks and fennec foxes. The minimal text that accompanies each photo is nice, giving the animals' name (in most cases) and their species (very cool for kids - or adults - interested in animals as some of the creatures herein are not those typically focused on).

The photographs are quite good and almost more "portrait-esque" while still focusing on the specific creatureality (a term coined by the fa
Danielle Rapoli
Summary/Review: This book is a great source of information for younger children, especially in kindergarten or first grade. The books uses picture of real baby animals and on the same pages the babies introduce themselves with both their species and name. The give a sentence or two about themselves and students can look at the pictures to see differences and similarities among them. Additionally, the back of the book gives extra information on the species for readers who want to learn more. As a ...more
Peacegal
Jan 07, 2011 rated it liked it
There must be a new book genre called “AWW!”, because my library has been getting in tons of books like this. Zooborns is basically just a chance to show off large color photographs of wild animal babies, from the instantly recognizable to the more exotic. Fans of the sort of adorable photography featured on Cute Overload will no doubt want to get their paws on this.

Really, the authors could have included some more facts about the animals within the main text instead of silly filler. A three-pa
Avery Maxwell
Jan 20, 2013 rated it really liked it
ZooBorns is an adorable book. My favorite part about this book is the fact that all of the pictures are of different animals that one might not see in a typical zoo. For example, I have never seen a pygmy hippo in a zoo around Western Washington, especially a baby hippo. I also liked the fact that the authors named all of the animals in the book because it could create a meaningful connection between the text and the children reading it. The pictures were also adorable, at the perfect angles, th ...more
Laura McLoughlin
Feb 10, 2017 rated it really liked it
Sometimes what you need in life is a board book full of adorable baby animals. I'm not sure if the fennic fox, the pygmy hippo, or the ocolot is the cutest!
Sarah (Workaday Reads)
ZooBorns is a picture book featuring baby animals from zoos around the world. Each page has an adorable baby, along with a little blurb about.

My son loves animals. As soon as I saw this book, I had to pick it up. He loves going through it. And of course, his favourite picture is the baby elephant on page 1.

I will admit to loving the book too. Since my son just wants to look at the pictures, I sat down with it by myself and read through each of the blurbs. The back few pages as more information a
Asho
I picked up this book at the library because I figured my 1 year-old would enjoy looking at the big pictures of cute baby animal faces, and I was right. He wanted to drag this all around the house with him (since he doesn't walk yet, though, I had to put the kibosh on that; crawling+library books don't mix). I wish there was a bit more of a story or more non-fiction content about the animals. There is some more detailed info about each animal at the end, which an older child might have patience ...more
Christyn
Okay, this book get's 4 stars simply because of the cuteness factor - it's adorable! I mean pictures of baby animals are about as cute as it gets. Each picture is accompanied by a few sentences introducing the animal by name (in most case) and species. The text with the picture's are simple and large allowing for easy reading for kids (or if they can't read yet, for their parents to read to them). There are also some interesting facts about each specific animal in the back of the book. Overall, ...more
Sam
Mar 27, 2013 rated it really liked it
Just as cute as the version I read about a week ago, but not nearly as informative. Much less info, and for a younger age (even more so than the other). Not a complaint, though, as it is obviously a children's book. And the first animal pictured was our own Beco the elephant, from The Columbus Zoo and Aquarium. I've had the pleasure of watching him grow up in person.
jacky
Feb 22, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: lib-lew, board-books
Learned William could identify and say "Elephant" with this book. I just shared the pictures and animals names with them. Both kids found it interesting. Many of the animals Natalie didn't know, so she couldn't possibly guess from the baby pictures. She did enjoy guessing though. And, I thought it funny she said the hyena was a cat, when the text says they are closely related to cats.
Mary Ann
Utterly adorable photographs of newborn animals will bring “ooohs” and “ahhs,” but the clear text provides interesting information on animals ranging from an asian elephant to the tawny frogmouth (a bird with a very large mouth). “They call me Radar Ears, and I'm a fennec fox. My big ears help me hear yummy insects crawling across the sand.”
Jul 07, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: nonfiction, kidlit
More than just cute pictures: this introduces youngsters to some unusual and endangered animals such as a Fennec Fox, Ocelot, and Okapi. Extra information about each species in the back matter explains the level of threat, the zoo where the baby was born, and engaging details that make each special.
Feb 04, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Adorable photographs of zoo babies are visible with each turn of the page. An easy to understand paragraph with the animal's name, species and a few facts about them accompanies the amazing photos.

For older children (or caregivers!) there are a few pages in the back that tells the reader a little bit more about each animal featured.
Mary
Aug 26, 2011 rated it it was ok
The baby animals are cute, which is a given. The text was too cutesy for me. I think the book could have benefitted from including actual information about the animals within the "story" instead of tucked away in tiny blurbs at the back of the book.
Bridget R. Wilson
What I thought: Simple text and gorgeous photos introduce young readers and listeners to baby zoo animals. I can't wait to use this in my zoo story time. My favorite photos are pygmy hippo and wombat.

Story Time Themes: Zoo, Baby Animals

Karen Arendt
Oct 12, 2012 rated it really liked it
This book is great for oohs and aaahs. Each two page spread introduces one baby animal and provides one or two interesting facts about itself. This would be a great way to introduce an animal unit or animal research. Great for K-2.
Julie
Sep 08, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: board-books
This book gets five stars for causing my family to gather around it, simultaneously shouting, "Awwwww! Look at that one! AWWWWWW!" Plus also for teaching me a few new animals, and how they're all adorable. And now my 2-year-old keeps saying, "Oh my goodness!"
Megan
Nov 22, 2010 rated it really liked it
Pictures of baby animals--some cute, some...not so cute.
Sherree
Jan 01, 2013 rated it it was amazing
i found this book at the library, and my 18 month old daughter loves it. i think we've read it at least 50 times. i may have to find one to buy.
Natalie
Dec 22, 2010 rated it really liked it
Squeeee!
Sparrow12
May 31, 2016 rated it really liked it
great pictures
Gina
Dec 14, 2010 rated it really liked it
Emma loves pictures of baby animals so this book was a big hit.
Madeline
May 01, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Adorable! I love baby animals.
Thia
Dec 03, 2010 added it
Shelves: school-visit
cute baby animals, nonfiction
Carrie H
Jul 01, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sylvie
We love this book, not only for the beautiful, baby-stare worthy pictures, but also because one of the featured animals is from our local zoo!
Kathy
Jul 20, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children
Jim gave each animal a different voice when he read this to Jared. He loved it!
Heather
Apr 16, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: qp-2012
Adorable picture book for younger readers.
carissa
Recommended Ages: grades K - 2

Photos and information about Zoo Babies from around the world. Each picture is paired with a short, first-person bio of the baby animal. Great info for younger kids.
Kathryn
Feb 02, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: young-readers
Cuteness overload - in a mostly good way.
  • Bird Talk: What Birds Are Saying and Why
  • Panda Kindergarten
  • Winter's Tail: How One Little Dolphin Learned to Swim Again
  • Kate & Pippin: An Unlikely Love Story
  • ZooZical
Andrew Bleiman is a lifelong animal nerd who serves on the Auxiliary Boards of the Lincoln Park Zoo and Shedd Aquarium in Chicago. In his day job he develops new media strategy for the Bradford Group.
More about Andrew Bleiman...

“Connecticut’s Beardsley Zoo” 0 likes