Start by marking “Liar's Poker” as Want to Read:
Liar's Poker

Liar's Poker

(Liar's Poker #1)

4.15  ·  Rating details ·  68,800 ratings  ·  1,971 reviews
The time was the 1980s. The place was Wall Street. The game was called Liar’s Poker.

Michael Lewis was fresh out of Princeton and the London School of Economics when he landed a job at Salomon Brothers, one of Wall Street’s premier investment firms. During the next three years, Lewis rose from callow trainee to bond salesman, raking in millions for the firm and cashing in
Published March 15th 2010 by W. W. Norton Company (first published 1989)

·  68,800 ratings  ·  1,971 reviews

Petra X
Apr 15, 2012 rated it really liked it
Update On Tuesday, March 1, 2016, I got a call, my banker (view spoiler) resigned from Morgan Stanley. He said they wanted to put the commission and charges clients pay up too much and that it has become Corruption Central. He says he'll phone me when he finds a new company. Does anything change?

My son who is in his last year at law school has a job already with Goldman Sachs. Is he going to becom
Lobstergirl
21 years after publication, Liar's Poker feels both relevant and ancient. Relevant because it seems the Big Swinging Dicks of Wall Street are ever with us; ancient because of references to things like WATS lines and the lionizing of Salomon Brothers trader John Meriwether, whose Long-Term Capital Management would spectacularly implode in 1998, and Michael Milken, who apparently had not yet been indicted when the book went to press but got a 10-year prison sentence for securities violations.

Lewis
Rajat Ubhaykar
Jan 02, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Atlas Shrugged for the philistine. It's subtle glorification of the greedy, underneath a veneer of hilarious sarcasm and grudging respect is the stuff financial Bibles are made of.

An interesting slice of financial history is captured succinctly, more precisely the development of Collaterized Mortgage Obligations in the 80's which also has direct relevance to the recent U.S housing crisis.

If you wish to get everything you can out of this book, get your Finance 101 straight. It'll be a lot more fu
Steven
Mar 25, 2007 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
pp 83 is a discussion of S&L's failure in the US.
pp 136 is the best explanation of CMO's I've ever read.

Great read. Initially loaned to me by a coworker. I went out and bought it shortly thereafter.

A former art student winds up becoming a bond salesman for Salomon Brothers in the mid 1980's. He sees a lot, and describes it vividly. Chernobyl. The October Crash of 1987. Gutfreund and Meriwether quibbling over how much to bet in one hand of the title game.

He introduces some terms to the lexico
Ruben
Jan 26, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book surprised me. I read and enjoyed Lewis' Moneyball a while back, and thought I was getting another journalistic account, this time of a crazy moment in corporate culture. Instead, it's very much a memoir of that world. And I didn't care for it at first, since the group of people he writes about are so spectacularly awful. He brings a certain world of investment banking trainees home to you, and I wanted nothing to do with it. If that was the whole book, I don't think I could take it. So ...more
Walter Spence
May 19, 2016 rated it it was amazing
In 2007, super investor Warren Buffett of Berkshire Hathaway made a bet with some of the people over at the Protege Partners hedge fund. He wagered that over a period of ten years the S&P 500 (a passive index) would outperform a group of five hedge funds* handpicked by Protege, with the loser donating one million dollars to the charity of the winner's choice.

(*Hedge Fund: A limited partnership of investors that uses high risk methods, such as investing with borrowed money, in hopes of realiz
Riku Sayuj
Aug 31, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Riku by: Puneet Raheja
First book of this type I truly enjoyed. Thank you Lewis for opening up a new field of book to explore.
Mike
Jan 08, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: economics
I'm a little torn by this book. It's well written, it's funny in places, some of Michael Lewis' observations are very astute and I'm sure that on some level this is an excellent commentary on the downfall of a once great company. Lewis was a trainee bond trader at Salomon Brothers when that firm was the most profitable on Wall St. He did very well out of his time there, and his analysis both here and in another of his works, The Big Short, pinpoints several of the problems that society has, or s ...more
Kate
Why am I languishing here, making approximately $0 dollars as a librarian? Why was I not a Wall Street investment banker?! These guys were having all the fun. In his introduction to the Big Short, Lewis writes that he was dismayed people took Liar's Poker not as a cautionary tale, but as a how-to manual for their careers. But I can totally understand why! He makes the trading floor sound like the place to be, the absolute center of the universe.

He's also got a real knack for explaining somethin
Kirk
Aug 18, 2014 rated it it was ok
Shelves: nonfiction
Probably the least interesting thing by Michael Lewis that I've read. Billed as an expose of Wall Street greed, I found it more to be a story of incompetent management and political infighting by conceited executives who found themselves successful by being in the right place at the right time, but think themselves as geniuses.

Some of this reminded me a lot of my father's stories of the politics at his former law practice. Why anyone would want to work in a place with so much backstabbing and v
Brian
Jul 13, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
To write a non-fictional portrayal of your life during your 20s is not an easy task. To do this while still in your 20s, to have it be your first book, and to have the story revolve around bond trading / Wall Street - and not have the book be as dry as it sounds - seems an almost cruel undertaking. But Lewis managed to do this. Despite what would seem to be the worst idea for a first book, Lewis keeps the reader interested and turning pages, even with a cast of execrable people that are only mad ...more
Peter Mcloughlin
Couldn't get into this one. Too much testosterone and greed to really be of interest. I wouldn't want to be in these people's company and find little of interest in their subculture, unfortunately, it is a very powerful group.
Wesley
Nov 04, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Liar's Poker tells the story of Michael Lewis and his career on Wall Street during the eighties. In those days, it was almost like the wild west with people throwing money around. Then, the loss of massive sums of money (one hundred million and over) was something that was laughable and easily disregarded. Now, losing that amount of money would yield either a huge embarassment or an instantaeneous firing. Througout the book, Michael Lewis describes to macho-nature of the financial world by using ...more
Lucas
Jan 20, 2017 rated it liked it
Đọc Lewis thì khỏi phải nói rồi, rất thỏa mãn ở khía cạnh giải trí. Đây có lẽ là một trong những quyển thú vị ngôn ngữ nhất về phố Wall (đọc là: buồn cười) mà tôi đọc được. Nếu Flash Boys hơi nặng tính kỹ thuật và chỉ trích, The Undoing Project thiên về tính lịch sử và thán phục thì Liar’s Poker, đúng như cái tên, nghiêng về những trò mánh khóe và lừa bịp (The Big ShortMoneyball thì tôi mới chỉ xem phim, chưa đọc sách).

Với những kinh nghiệm ít ỏi của tôi khi còn “ở bên trong” thị trường chứ
Beth
Jun 05, 2014 rated it really liked it
I think that Michael Lewis is a superb writer. He takes a complex topic, such as mortgage-backed securities, and explains them so that your every(wo)man can understand them. He is also a great observer of human character, and he writes about people with great aplomb. I feel as if I personally know his characters. While the subject matter of investment banking in the 1980s is filled with blind greed, leaving the reader disgusted, Lewis manages to make this book a fabulous read.
David
Sep 16, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: big-white-square
I'll always be poor because so much of this makes absolutely no sense. I can't understand the motivation of these people to invent a new ... what is it? Something about mortgages? And whilst doing that they made the huge mistake of not also inventing junk bonds! The idiots! It all sounds so exhausting. And unnecessary?

And then there's people who are always going to be so successful cos they're mavericks and do the opposite of what everyone else does ... and then there's people who are always go
Anand Iyer
Aug 15, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: business, finance
An honest attempt on the life of a bond trader: not the philosophy, nor the routine struggles but the very aspects of inside baseball, juicy gossips and harsh realities. It's not hard to see how careers were made in the 80s in a firm whose rise and fall happened in that decade. It never directly tells you anything other than office politics, but powerful tangents an average human can draw are insightful for an investment banking career.
Arvind
Feb 21, 2018 rated it did not like it
This was my 7th book by the author and I have loved all his earlier books. Even I was surprised how much I disliked this one.
Unlike the other books, this was a memoir of the author's days from investment banking. Remember U.S. Investment bankers ? The guys who paid themselves fat bonuses after the govt bailout in 2008. The guys who broke every barrier of greed in their insane lust for profits. This is about how one of the biggest investment banking firms "Salomon Brothers" worked in the 1980s.
So
Kathrin Passig
Dieses Buch handelt fast ausschließlich von Dingen, die mich noch nie interessiert haben, und ich fand es mit Ausnahme einiger weniger Abschnitte bildend und lustig. (Bildend = man lernt in erster Linie was über Firmenkultur; über die spezifischen Wall-Street-Angelegenheiten nur nebenbei.) Es ist nicht ganz so super wie "Flash Boys" oder "The Undoing Project" vom selben Autor, aber immer noch sehr gut. Ich muss noch mehr von ihm lesen, um vielleicht eines Tages herauszufinden, wie man so was mac ...more
Thijs Niks
Aug 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Eerie to read the 1980s description of the 2000s financial crisis. Everything old is new again. And Lewis is just an incredible non-fiction writer, weaving anecdotes with explanations.
Mike Moore
May 30, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Everyone
Recommended to Mike by: It's amazing to me that this wasn't required reading in my education. A gross oversight
Shelves: business
For people who want to understand the peculiar failure modes of capitalism that have been illustrated by the bubbles, crashes, and bailouts of the past decade, Liar's Poker is required reading. Not that it provides solutions to the problems (far from it), but it illustrates the problem space perhaps better than any other book I know.

It does this by means of a sympathetic, yet introspective, portrayal of the vicious, base-natured villainy that is Wall Street Corporate culture. There is little roo
Deepak
Apr 16, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Ironically (you will understand why once you read the book), this was one of the suggested readings when I was interning with Goldman Sachs.

The book captures the experiences of Michael Lewis as a Salomon bond salesman. But what it includes in more excruciating detail is "the" truth about the glorified Wall Street (using this phrase in a rather generic sense to include markets in other locations as well), and the rise and fall of one of its inhabitants, Salomon Brothers, in the 1970s and 80s.

To
Frank Stein
Jun 09, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A brilliant and funny memoir of life on Wall Street in the 1980s. Michael Lewis shows exactly how craven and self-serving his firm, Salomon Brothers, had become by the time of his arrival in 1985. Previously a backwater, Jewish-led, bond trading firm, Salomon rode the wave of leverage in the Reagan era to become the most profitable investment bank in the world. Yet part of that success came from keeping good deals on its own books and passing bad bets to its customers. Lewis describes his first ...more
Flavio
Dec 24, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Liar's Poker is a book about the days that Michael Lewis spent at Solomon Brothers as a Bond broker during the bond boom that took place starting in the 80's. The book is really entertaining and at the same time very informative. The book can be grouped into a few sections, that have very distinct focuses. The first is about the rise to prominence of Louie Ranieri to the head of the mortgage bond trading desk and his subsequent fall. The second is about Lewis' own experience in the London office ...more
TarasProkopyuk
Сначала меня долгое время терзали сомнения читать ли эту книгу, а точнее данного автора или нет. Почему то несколько обзоров о этой книге вместе с интуицией подсказывали воздержатся от прочтения. Сложилось впечатление, что многие больше полюбили не саму книгу, а автора с его весьма хорошо подвешенным языком и контрастными метафорами. Жаль, но я в большинстве опасений ошибался...

Книга получилась не только информативной, но и невероятно захватывающей. Описанная изнанка жизни воротил с Уолл-Стрит,
Text Addict
The last line is probably the funniest/most ironic line I've read all year.
Arjun Mishra
Aug 07, 2011 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: economics
I was hoping for a better book from Michael Lewis. I read The Big Short: Inside the Doomsday Machine before reading this, so my expectations might have been biased, but I was hoping for something that did more than illuminate some scandalous activity. It was minor league in that it attempted to illustrate some central characters in Solomon Brothers. Lewis does much better in making his characters palpable in The Big Short.

He touched upon this a couple times, but he never entirely pounced upon th
Joshua Stein
Jul 24, 2014 rated it liked it
Lewis is a phenomenal writer, and it's important to keep in mind that this is his first book. The writing is strong, but not technically as well-developed as his later work (Blindside and Moneyball) but it has something that is often a feature of "first works" in a writer's career. It is deeply personal, and Lewis's Liar's Poker has more of Michael Lewis in it than the other books by a fairly substantial margin.

I really enjoy the book, and think that the personal elements of the storytelling are
Nitesh Kanthaliya
Apr 17, 2016 rated it really liked it
A great book which shows first hand experience of a trainee when he enters the bond market when it was at its peak. It showcases the care (pun intended) that Salomon Brothers and like took of their clients. A person with a portfolio of less than 100M is a scapegoat and guinea pig for the trainee's On the Job training. The fat paychecks that the bond traders and bond salesmen draw for duping the clients basis the fact that they know a little more than the clients is quite hilarious. However, in d ...more
Matt
Dec 04, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was a fascinating book to be reading in the midst of the biggest financial crisis of the past 75 years. Liar's Poker records the author's experience as a bonds trader for Solomon Brothers, at the height of the 80's trading explosion - an accurate, and frightening, account of the ludicrous nature of the whole industry. Perhaps the most shocking aspect of the book is the attitude of the traders: to make money at any cost, regardless of the consequences. In this world, it was perfectly accepta ...more
Group aja: PokerQiu 1 1 Mar 14, 2019 05:15AM

• Den of Thieves
  • When Genius Failed: The Rise and Fall of Long-Term Capital Management
  • Monkey Business: Swinging Through the Wall Street Jungle
  • Barbarians at the Gate: The Fall of RJR Nabisco
  • The Predators' Ball: The Inside Story of Drexel Burnham and the Rise of the Junk Bond Raiders
  • Traders, Guns & Money: Knowns and Unknowns in the Dazzling World of Derivatives
  • Fool's Gold
  • More Money Than God: Hedge Funds and the Making of a New Elite
  • My Life as a Quant: Reflections on Physics and Finance
  • Lords of Finance: The Bankers Who Broke the World
  • House of Cards: A Tale of Hubris and Wretched Excess on Wall Street
  • Conspiracy of Fools
  • The Greatest Trade Ever: The Behind-the-Scenes Story of How John Paulson Defied Wall Street and Made Financial History
  • Too Big to Fail: The Inside Story of How Wall Street and Washington Fought to Save the Financial System from Crisis — and Themselves
  • Devil Take the Hindmost: A History of Financial Speculation
  • The Smartest Guys in the Room: The Amazing Rise and Scandalous Fall of Enron
  • Fiasco: The Inside Story of a Wall Street Trader
  • The Quants: How a New Breed of Math Whizzes Conquered Wall Street and Nearly Destroyed It
Michael Lewis, the best-selling author of Liar’s Poker, The Money Culture, The New New Thing, Moneyball, The Blind Side, Panic, Home Game, The Big Short, and Boomerang, among other works, lives in Berkeley, California, with his wife and three children.

Liar's Poker (2 books)
  • The Big Short: Inside the Doomsday Machine
“Those who know don't tell and those who tell don't know.” 150 likes
“The men on the trading floor may not have been to school, but they have Ph.D.’s in man’s ignorance.” 72 likes