Start by marking “Sacred Trust (Er Trilogy, #1)” as Want to Read:
Sacred Trust (Er Trilogy, #1)

Sacred Trust (ER Trilogy #1)

really liked it 4.0  ·  Rating details ·  292 Ratings  ·  27 Reviews
Fast-paced ER drama! Emergency room surgeon Lukas Bower decides to leave the city for a small-town hospital. When he crosses a difficult ER chief, Bower's integrity -- so important in the operating room -- may cost him his job.
Published October 1st 1999 by Bethany House Publishers (first published 1999)

To ask other readers questions about Sacred Trust, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Sacred Trust

Lynn Spencer
B- so 3.5 stars This is one of Hannah Alexander's early novels and while it's a little rough around the edges, one can definitely see the promise of some of her later medical romances. This book, first in a trilogy, is light on the romance, though one can definitely see the stage being set.

Dr. Lukas Bower, the new ER doc in a small-town Missouri hospital, is devoted to God and tries hard to do the right thing. This brings him into conflict with some at the hospital who play politics - including
Doranne Long
Mar 03, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I loved reading the first of this ER Trilogy, with the fast-paced life of working in an emergency room, with the challenges of being a Christian. I appreciate that this husband/wife writing team includes an ER doctor.
Aug 27, 2011 rated it really liked it
This Christian medical thriller is very realistically written (one of the authors is an M.D.) and probably will win readers over by not being overly preachy. A new doctor, Luke Bower, is hired to work in a small town hospital's ER full-time and discovers the typical small town mindset (distrust of strangers) as well as some unsettling secrets about the townspeople.

His love interest is local doctor Mercy Richmond, whose mother is a wealthy benefactress of the hospital where he works. The book tou
Jun 08, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery

Hannah Alexander is superb at pulling me into the drama she creates in her novels…

The characters are as realistic as any that I’ve read… and they deal with real-life issues, such as child abuse, alcoholism, broken marriages, and work-related issues – and of course their immediate concerns of life and death situation in the emergency room!

There are lots of technical terms, but nothing that I couldn’t figure out. Once you start reading Hannah’s novels, you get much more comfortable with the techni
Mar 10, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
"Sacred Trust" is a Christian suspense novel with some romance. This novel is the first in a series, but the issues in the book were wrapped up enough that it can be read as a stand alone.

The characters were interesting, complex, and acted realistically. The various characters dealt with real issues (like "office" politics, child abuse, alcoholism, the damage caused by gossip, children dealing with their parent's broken marriages, and more).

The medical scenes were plentiful. While the technical
Lori Henrich
Mar 22, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Lukas Bower is the new ER doctor at Knoll Community Hospital. He is happy to be there, but not everyone is thrilled to have him there. Dr. Jarvis George is not happy and wants to find a way to make sure he leaves as quickly as possible. Ivy is a big financial supporter of the hospital, and when she arrives in the emergency room with her dying mother, she butts heads with Lukas when he wants to honor the DNR paperwork and Ivy doesn't. Dr. George preys on Ivy's grief to get her to help him get rid ...more
Dec 28, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Sacred Trust
Book 1

This book focused a a doctor, Lucas, who is new to the hospital in Missouri. He is the first full time ER doctor and is met with a lot of animosity throughout the book. There are a lot of various stories and various points of view written in this story. They include:

A doctor who doesn't have custody of her daughter
A little girl who is afraid of her father
An old man who wants to die
A young man who is very obese but doesn't want to ask for help
A young man who's looking for drugs
Jul 13, 2009 rated it liked it
This was a good story about a new ER doctor in a small town. I could relate to some of the small town situations. I was happy about the main character's integrity and convictions, but sometimes the way they were presented halted the flow. I'm not really sure how to explain what I mean by that.

The ending wasn't very satisfying to me. It wasn't bad, but I felt like I was on a good (sometimes intense) ride for over 300 pages, and then it ended abruptly. I wanted more information about the character
Feb 08, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Great characters and ER action. Dr. Bower moves to Knolls, MO. to work in a new environment. He works with Dr. George, a doctor that doesn't follow protocol, meets Dr. Mercy's family under difficult circumstances, helps a brother and sister adjust to a new healthier lifestyle to save their lives, and is also trying to help Dr. Mercy get her daughter back under difficult circumstances. The plots are deep and exciting and as always I couldn't wait to read the ending!!
Apr 10, 2008 rated it liked it
Recommended to Amy by: Erin
Shelves: christian
1st in a series, Christian medical fiction. A little long-winded on the medical terms (I know... its medical fiction, what did I expect? duh!) still a good story; I plan on reading the others in the series.
Angela Dueck
Jul 30, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: medical
This book drew me in, although some of the medical jargon went over my head. Even though I couldn't always understand the words that were being used as they were medical terms, I was still able to follow the story and understand, for the most part, what was going on.
Jun 12, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: z-read-2014
Christian medical suspense--first in ER Trilogy
Mar 27, 2016 rated it liked it
So many good characters. Sometimes I got a little tangled up in the medicalese, and some of the characters' anger issues were pretty intense. Not a bad little read.
Sep 16, 2014 rated it really liked it
Christian medical suspense thriller. Exciting characters, like ER the tv show.
Annette Payne
Apr 14, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Very inspiring. Well written and really got you into the characters lives - would love to see a sequel
May 13, 2009 rated it did not like it
Recommends it for: No one
I usually try to finish what I start, but this was going nowhere. I did not finish, and I don't think that I missed anything!
Feb 20, 2012 rated it did not like it
Shelves: 2013
Didn't even finish it... I just was not enjoying it at all.

Feb 23, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: cozy-mystery
If you like ER, you will love this fast paced story which finds a Christian doctor faced with those in dire need as well as the unscrupulous.
Jan 10, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Kept me entertained and wanting to finish. Now I cannot remember the characters.
Sep 13, 2012 rated it really liked it
This was a good read. I enjoyed the characters. I didn't realize that it was a series, which makes sense, since there was not a great deal of closure at the end of the book.
Feb 11, 2015 added it
Shelves: book-collector
Interesting book. Fast paced and easy to read. Definitely predictable though.
Anna Mccoy
May 28, 2013 rated it it was amazing
This was a great book! very intense at times! I really enjoyed!
Oct 24, 2007 rated it really liked it
This series is really good.
look for another one by this author (duo)
Dec 25, 2014 rated it really liked it
Apr 15, 2013
Jan 01, 2013
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
  • The Hidden
  • Riptide (The Julesburg Mysteries #2)
  • Dread Champion
  • Fear No Evil
  • Trial by Fire (Newpointe 911 #4)
  • Sins of the Fathers
  • A Ship Possessed (J.D. Stanton #1)
  • The Splitting Storm (The Storm Series #2)
  • Fatal Harvest (Haven #1)
  • A Shred of Evidence (Seaport Suspense #1)
  • Deadfall
  • Chop Shop (Bug Man, #2)
  • Forget Me Not
  • The Chairman

HANNAH ALEXANDER is the pen name for the husband-and-wife writing team of Mel and Cheryl Hodde, who began collaborating on their first blind date. Cheryl is the wordsmith, and Mel is the medical expert who helps her with the medical plotlines and edits everything she writes.
More about Hannah Alexander...

ER Trilogy (3 books)
  • Solemn Oath (Er Trilogy, #2)
  • Silent Pledge (Er Trilogy, #3)

Fiction Deals

• Finding Rebecca
    $5.49 $1.99
  • The Baker's Daughter
    $11.99 $1.99
  • Angus, Thongs and Full-Frontal Snogging (Confessions of Georgia Nicolson)
    $2.99 $0.99
  • Vanessa and Her Sister
    $13.99 $2.99
  • The King's Mistress
    $11.99 $1.99
  • Midnight Sun (The Northern Lights Series, No 3)
    $9.99 $1.99
  • The Cement Garden (Ian McEwan Series Book 2)
    $8.99 $2.99
  • The Book of Love: Poems of Ecstasy and Longing
    $8.24 $1.99
  • Under the Wide and Starry Sky
  • Illuminations: A Novel of Hildegard von Bingen
    $14.95 $1.99
  • The Cove
    $7.49 $1.99
  • The Secret Healer (The Secret Healer #1)
    $3.49 $0.99