Start by marking “Dark War (Matt Richter, #3)” as Want to Read:
Blank 133x176
Dark War

Tim Waggoner

Dark War (Matt Richter #3)

4.01  ·  Rating details ·  453 Ratings  ·  32 Reviews
Meet Matt Richter. Zombie. PI.

From his arrival at Nekropolis, Matt has found himself embroiled in disputes with the city's vampire lords, shapeshifters, golems and other monstrosities.

Nothing has prepared him for the Dark War.

File Under: Urban Fantasy [ Turf | Fang Gangs | Endurance | Dead Streets ]

From the Paperback edition.
Published December 1st 2010 by Angry Robot (first published January 1st 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Dark War, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Dark War

Nikki
It took me a while to get into this series, but now I'm sure I'll be following it to its conclusion -- which I certainly hope this book wasn't, with that ending. It's opening out more and more from a simple story of a PI whose gimmick is that he's a zombie: he just saved the underworld for the third time and there's no way he's getting out of the spotlight now. Besides, his wife's bearing twins.

The writing improves throughout the three books, or at least I didn't notice as many things that jarre
Stacey
Jul 15, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I received this book via Goodreads First Reads.

This review is TERRIBLY late but here goes…I have enjoyed this series very much – I purchased Nekropolis and Dead Streets on my Sony Reader (am I the only person who doesn’t have a Kindle – grr!) because I won the third book!

I thoroughly enjoy Matt Richter and the undead detective/underworld idea. I believe that this book would be fine if read alone but I highly recommend reading the books in order – you miss out on sooo much if you don’t!

I do not
Bailey Meeker
Jul 15, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: first-reads
I received this book through a firstreads giveaway.

This is an amazing series thus far, and I eagerly await the next installment. I have been a fan of Simon R Green for a bit over a year now, and so I was very excited to get a free copy of this book, which seemed very like The Nightside. I immediately bought the Kindle versions of the two previous Matt Richter books, which are fairly inexpensive. These are also excellent, although they feel like displaced Green novels. This one is entirely uniqu
Jason
Feb 25, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: e-books, read-2017
3.5 Stars

Dark War (Matt Richter #3) by Tim Waggoner is the conclusion to the Matt Ritcher series. What could be better than a mystery series led by a detective named Matt Ritcher? How about a story that also includes pretty much every urban fantasy supernatural creature imagined? Hey, why not have the protagonist be an undead...zombie? Make it all fit together by taking place in a world adjacent to our own... This is the making of fun stuff.

This really is a dream series for urban fantasy lovers
Erin Channell
Jul 15, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: my-library
Received a free copy via Goodreads First reads.

I've really enjoyed this series (picked up #1 & #2 because I won #3 :)). It's a unique concept for a series, both from a setting as well as character standpoint. I highly recommend reading the books in order to get the full impact of the story.

Without giving too much away about the series, this book follows Matt (main character) as he once again tries to save the world and remain in one piece. It's been entertaining to see his development as a
Beki
Jul 24, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
zombies, demons, alternative dimentions, magic and action. i relly like this series, this is the third book. not one of my top 20 books to read, but something different to what you would normally expect.
Karissa
Oct 02, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

This is the third book in the Matt Richter series by Waggoner. I really continue to enjoy this series and was sad to see that this was the last book released in this series (most likely because of Angry Robot publishing shutting down).

After solving a particularly strange case in an alternate dimension, Matt and Devona end up joining up with a new character named Shamika and trying to unravel the mystery behind a whole bunch of magic users who have gone missing.

This series continues to remind m
Amy
Jun 26, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was such an amazing "conclusion." I say that, because at the time, it was. However, being a Graphic Audio fan, I know that they recently released a sequel short story after this book. I can't wait to listen to it.
Heath Böddie
Apr 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was a really good book! Good series! I’m hoping the author finds a new publisher, and soon! Or self publishes.
Amanda Copeland
Jul 19, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: first-reads
If you've ever found yourself wondering what it would be like to live as a Zombie Detective in an alternate universe ruled by Darkfolk Lords and monsters, then this is the book for you! Dark War, by Tim Waggoner, is the third book in this action-packed, Urban Fantasy series featuring "Matt Richter. Private Eye. Zombie" as the chief character and narrator. Richter is supported through his journeys by an all-star cast that consists of his wife, Devona, a Human-Vampire half mix, a seemingly young w ...more
Michelle
Dec 29, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Love it to bits and pieces! Extremely entertaining and fun! Love it, especially the ending! I want to read the fourth book now! "squeals"
Nina (Death, Books, and Tea)
ALL THE LOVE!!!
Review: After falling to pieces and getting thorough all of that, Matt Richter really just wants to settle down with half-vampire girlfriend Devona. But, this being Nekropolis. That’s really unlikely. After sorting stuff out in parallel world, he goes home to find even more problems. The Arcane (witches and wizards) are blaming the Demonfolk for recent Arcane disappearances. The Demonfolk aren’t happy and a war threatens to break out. But there’s something else bugging Matt…
Ami
Tarl
Dec 25, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: paranormal
Out of the three books, I found the third to be the weakest of the three. By now the characters are established, things are going along swimmingly, and all should be good...right?
Unfortunatly no.
Though still chalk full of little Easter eggs, witty dialogue, and a really good joke here or there, the general story just doesn't come across as interesting as the last two books. It's not that bad of a read, and I still enjoyed the story, but as far as something that will keep you on the edge of your
Yvensong
In compliance with FTC guidelines: I received the book for free through Goodreads First Reads.

Very entertaining, dark, witty, and well-paced novel following the exploits of Matt Richter, a private detective who happens to be the only self-willed zombie in Nekropolis. Alongside him are three other interesting characters: his love and partner, Devona, a half-human, half-vampire woman, Varney, a full-blood vampire, and Shamika, who is a new character in this series.

The world-building continues to b
Rick
Jan 11, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I like Waggoner's Nekropolis series and this, the third in the series, doesn't disappoint as Matt Richter, Waggoner's Zombie detective continues to solve the problems of this dark realm.
These easy reading novels are a good mix of fantasy, humour and detective noir and Waggoner's strange characters are well realised and the plots complex enough to hold your attention all the way through. For a light hearted read for those who like something a little on the weird side I thoroughly recommend this a
Udi Moshe
Dec 05, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Do you like a good thriller? Do you like surprising plot turns? Do you like a book that keeps you guessing till the end? DO YOU LIKE ZOMBIES?! Then this is definitely the series for you, Matt Richter, zombie PI is a brilliantly written character filled with self humor and a sharp mind (as well as a few discomposing body parts) that solves mysteries and saves the world in a fun and thrilling way. The fact that the story takes place in a city of undead and mythical beings adds a whole new level to ...more
Penny Noble
Jul 02, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: first-reads
I was reluctant to start this series, as I tend not to like books about zombies, but I am so glad I did! This third book in the series, which I received as part of the goodreads giveaway, lives up to the standard set by the first two. It is humorous, has plenty of action, and, of course, has the requisite mystery. But do be aware that it is a little dark. Don't, however, let that drive you away, either. Do yourself a favor and read this series. You won't regret it; I didn't.
Clay Rylee
May 13, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoyed the third instalment to this series and I really hope that Tim Waggoner write more books set in Necropolis. This book kept me reading eagerly as the first two books did and I had a lot of fun with it. I highly recomend this series for anyone who loves Urban fantasy and is looking for something quirky as refreshing.
Brenda
Jan 08, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Enjoyed this installment

I am still comparing these to the Nightside series, but I find that the universe's although similar, have enough differences to be entertaining. It does kind of end with an interesting cliffhanger and I would love to see what happens next!
Daniel
Oct 14, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The third in the Matt Richtor novels. I must admit he has become a guilty pleasure for me. Nekroplis and all the "people" in it are great fun and the tongue and cheek noir detective novel is just fun. Not great but very fun.
VampAmber
So not fair that this is apparently the end of the series. He did that mega-cliffhanger on purpose, I just know it! Gyah! But yeah, an amazing book all around, possibly-never-to-be-resolved-cliffhanger included. I just absolutely adore this series, and loved every page of each book.
Nancy
Sep 23, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A fun read. Don't expect any movies to be made out of this series but expect to be entertained but a zombie detective and the alternate reality he now lives in.
Lisa Keipp
Jul 26, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
No, no, no, no, no. You don't cliff hang a book like that! ARG! Ok, finish writing the next one already!
Teresa Johnson
Sep 30, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I love these books!!
Yc
This is a really great book-interesting,funny,and easy and fast read!
Berrendsci
Oct 23, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I like this series, even missing the 2nd book, the world is cohesive and interesting. It is gritty and dark without being depressing...and I am still into clever zombies.
Donna Fowler
Oct 11, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I have liked every book in this series and cannot pick out one any better or worse than the others. They are page turners and hated to see it end.
Lando
Jun 04, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good series. The characters became likeable and better developed by the end. Would enjoy and buy another book.
Lichelle Kanta
May 23, 2017
  • Evil Dark (Occult Crimes Unit Investigation, #2)
  • Knight Moves (Black Knight Chronicles, #3)
  • Dead Mann Walking (Hessius Mann #1)
  • The Invoker (Lawson the Fixer #2)
  • X-Rated Bloodsuckers (Felix Gomez, #2)
  • Animal Instinct (Duncan Andrews Thrillers, #2)
  • The Silent Army (Revivors, #2)
  • The Skinwalker Conspiracies (Dead Eye #2)
  • Crossed (Void City, #3)
  • Extreme Zombies
  • Dead Matter (Simon Canderous, #3)
  • Eye Spy (Eye Spy, #1)
  • By the Blood of Heroes (The Great Undead War, #1)
  • Dark Road Rising (Vampire Files, #12)
  • The Midnight Mayor (Matthew Swift, #2)
  • Blood Blade (Skinners, #1)
Tim Waggoner has published over forty novels and four short story collections, and his articles on writing have appeared in Writer’s Digest and Writers’ Journal, among others. He's won the Bram Stoker Award and has been a finalist for both the Shirley Jackson Award and the Scribe Award. He teaches creative writing at Sinclair Community College in Dayton, Ohio. Visit him on the web at www.timwaggon ...more
More about Tim Waggoner

Matt Richter (3 books)
  • Necropolis (Matt Richter #1)
  • Dead Streets (Matt Richter #2)

Fantasy & Science Fiction Deals

• The Lathe of Heaven
    $7.99 $3.99
  • Lumière (The Illumination Paradox, #1)
  • Sense and Sensibility and Sea Monsters
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Pride and Prejudice and Zombies
    $9.99 $1.99
  • King of Thieves
  • Area 51 (Area 51, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Earth Strike (Star Carrier, #1)
    $3.49 $0.99
  • Parable of the Sower (Earthseed)
    $17.99 $2.99
  • The Mission (Area 51, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Mongoliad (The Mongoliad Cycle Book 1)
  • The Fourteenth Goldfish
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Extinction Point (Extinction Point, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Fate of Perfection (Finding Paradise #1)
    $4.99 $2.00
  • Gates of Thread and Stone (Gates of Thread and Stone #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Earth & Sky (Earth & Sky, #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • The Sphinx (Area 51, #4)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Atopia Chronicles (Atopia, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Rewinder (Rewinder Series Book 1)
  • Master of Formalities
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Grail (Area 51, #5)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Falconer (The Falconer, #1)
    $7.99 $0.99
  • The Eighth Guardian (Annum Guard, #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Deviants (Dust Chronicles #1)
    $4.49 $1.99
  • Excalibur (Area 51, #6)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Into the Black (Odyssey One, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Fate of Devotion (Finding Paradise, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Points of Impact (Frontlines #6)
    $4.99 $2.49
  • The Shadows (The Fianna Trilogy, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Dystopia Chronicles (Atopia, #2)
  • The Guardian Herd: Starfire
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Infinite (Gates of Thread and Stone #2)
  • Once Was a Time
    $4.99 $0.99
  • The Truth (Area 51, #7)
  • The Bird Eater
  • Ruined
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Exo (Exo #1)
    $10.99 $1.99
  • Nosferatu (Area 51, #8)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Poor Man's Fight (Poor Man's Fight, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Abby in Wonderland (Whatever After, #10.5)
    $10.99 $1.99
  • The Palace Job (Rogues of the Republic #1)
  • Slaughterhouse-Five
    $6.99 $1.99
  • The Oddfits
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Imago (Xenogenesis, #3)
    $6.99 $1.99