Start by marking “Remains Silent” as Want to Read:
Remains Silent

Remains Silent (Jake Rosen & Manny Manfreda #1)

3.29  ·  Rating details ·  402 Ratings  ·  50 Reviews
In their debut novel, former New York City chief medical examiner Michael Baden and CNN legal commentator Linda Kinney spin an arresting forensic thriller about a mysterious murder that won't go away. The novel features type-A lawyer Philomena "Manny" Manfreda and laid-back deputy chief medical examiner Dr. Jake Rosen.
Audio, 0 pages
Published September 28th 2005 by Books on Tape, Incorporated (first published August 16th 2005)

Sara
Aug 08, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: people who watch Forensic Files on TruTV
This is the first book written by these authors, so the quality leaves a little bit to be desired. But that didn't stop me from not being able to put it down! I love murder mysteries and forensics, so I thoroughly enjoyed it. It is an entertaining fast read as long as you don't take it too seriously. I recommend it.
Linda
Jul 26, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery-crime
When a trio of skeletons are unearthed at the construction site of a shopping mall, NYC medical examiner Jake Rosen is called to the scene in hopes that he'll label the remains as too ancient for legal action. Of course that doesn't happen, despite specific threats from the developers. When the bodies are found to be former mental patients at a nearby mental hospital, Jake calls attorney Manny Manfreda to help relatives decide if a lawsuit is in order. Jake and Manny are soon swept into an inves ...more
Bethany
Apr 16, 2009 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
I would give this a solid 3.5 stars. It's a fast, page-turner mystery. I found the case fascinating and stayed up until 1 am reading "just one more" page. The book has an emphasis on forensic science w/o getting gory or technical. The ending is okay. It's 99% clean.
Victoria Trailcamgal
Love it!!!

Awesome book.. Fast paced .. I love the forensics aspect as I am a big fan of Patricia Cornwell... Loved the characters..
Susannah Carleton
Interesting characters and story, but the plotting and pacing plod in spots.
Rhys I
Mar 02, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book is very good in my opinion, with very good plot development and character development which makes the book seem very realistic. Over the course of the book you will learn many new things about various characters and the overall mystery of the book.
Rupal Gadkar
I remember the stylish lawyer and her accomplice working on a forensic mission. Philomena is a stylish lawyer that has a dog mycroft. I read this book years back and I dont remember the story as well.
Doug
Apr 28, 2009 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Even taking into account that this was the first novel for the team of Baden and his wife, I had to struggle to finish the book. The characters are no doubt taken out of the daily experiences of the authors, but there is a forcible injection of romance/sexual tension that doesn't go deep enough into the characters, leaving them a bit lumpy and unconvincing.

I won't go into plot, but having read some of the non-fiction work of Baden already, the story seemed a little simple. Clue A leads to B, le
SallyHP
May 02, 2010 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This book had a lot of potential, and I read it mainly because it sounded like it could really be along the lines of the Kay Scarpetta books.

I guess the word that could really describe this would be 'unsophisticated'. It was almost as if you were reading the pitch for this book and not the actual book. The rough outline. The character development was pretty lazy, and there was no real build-up...the portions that were supposed to leave you breathless barely registered a change in heart-rate.

I h
Juanita
Jan 31, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Another good book. It's a crime fiction about the findings of graves or should I say a mixture of several people's skeletal bones buried in a field. The mystery is who put them there, why and when. A construction company building a Mall near the Catskill Mountains discovered the bones while digging. There was a halt put to the construction until the area was investigated. Someone was not pleased to have this horrid secret discovered. I love to read crime and mystery in the smae story.In small p ...more
Foxy Grandma
This book takes the gruesome forensic details we see on CSI and Bones and combines it with the lawyers from Law and Order, throws in the main character attraction for each other and makes a decent read. Jake Rosen, a medical examiner is called in to examine a skeleton found in a site for a new mall. The family of said “skeleton”(who disappeared from a mental hospital) calls in Manny Manfreda, attorney, to help tie up loose ends. Simple, till evidence disappears, clients drop cases, threats pile ...more
Dick Edwards
Jan 27, 2011 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
This extremely thin book is disappointing in that it degenerates into the old “blame the mean old U.S. government for running cruel and illegal experiments on human beings” plot gimmick. There was a decent plot twist at the end in that Jake’s (Baden’s) best friend Pete was involved in the experiments, and that Pete’s daughter Elizabeth was, too, and actually killed (by poison) her father. The dialogue was pedestrian, and the female protagonist (Manny) was given to italicized thoughts interjected ...more
Ernest
Dec 01, 2011 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
While there is a decent mystery within this volume, I found it unfortunately buried amongst heavy handed writing, thin characterisation, too many plot elements and a wealth of detail about the medical/forensic process. The medical/forensic details were well detailed and clearly came about through professional knowledge and experience. There were one or two nice twists in the tail, but overall the book did not have the sophistication or polish to combine all the elements into a great book.
Naomi Blackburn
Jul 08, 2011 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I must say that I was really disappointed in Baden's fictional work. I would have expected more from this book, given his writing in his non-fictional books, plus I really enjoy seeing him interviewed and such on news programs, etc. This book was really weak and amateurish though...I really had to choke it down. If I didn't need it for a challenge and it wasn't only 196 pages, I probably would have stopped reading it.
☮Karen
Feb 15, 2009 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
The debut novel written by a married couple, he a forensics expert and she a civil rights attorney, about, guess what? A forensics expert and a civil rights attorney trying to figure out the story on several bodies found in a pauper's grave, while they are falling for each other. Kind of an amateur writing attempt about these amateur sleuths, but still some good story lines. Kind of "hokey" overall.
Lori
Nov 08, 2014 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
The forensic portions were interesting, but otherwise a very hokey novel. Contrived dialogue to indicate romantic tension, trying to be a certain type of medical/forensic mystery and thriller book (that I guess I don't find all that interesting). Twists were obvious, characters not all that believable - especially the wisecracking and beautiful woman attorney. Ugh.
Darilyn DeMaria
Jun 02, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I loved it! True crime, gruesome but real and incredibly addicting. Great read. I was interested after I heard about it on (what was) CourtTV. Thought I'd try it and I was totally involved! Could not read before bedtime because some descriptions stuck with me and my imagination...
Danielle
Mar 01, 2011 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed the plot and mystery. It was very interesting and very suspenseful. I didn't really warm to either of the main characters and thought the abrupt resolution at the end was a bit off kilter. Overall, this was a fun read, but not amazing.
Chriser123 Dittman
FUN - This is a easy mystery book. It is written by a couple and is about a couple of sleuths. One is a pathologist and the other is a lawyer. It passes the time when I don't want to read anything deep.
Antonia
I enjoyed the plot of this story. A good who-done-it. Quick read. For some reason, I had some difficulty remembering the different character's names. I also like that it took place in the "Catskills."
Melanie
Mar 31, 2011 rated it did not like it
Don't waste time on this husband and wife writing team despite the glowing jacket blurbs. Trite, contrived, unbelievable, cliched...
Heather
May 10, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great book! A lot of strings came together at the end. Had some humor included, which is always nice!
Jessica
There's a good story, good set-up in this book if you get past the silly dialogue and pretty ridiculous main female character. Relatively clean, easy murder-mystery read.
Katie Lynn
pretty much what you expect from a murder mystery. Didn't love it; didn't hate it. Wouldn't recommend or dissuade from reading it. How is THAT for a nondescript "What did you think?"
Daniel Meltzer
Aug 20, 2007 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
pretty funny book.
Nicole
Sep 28, 2010 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
this book just sucked ass by the time i got halfway through it. i didnt bother finishing it
Ninamarie
Feb 03, 2016 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: detective
Lightweight forensic/murder mystery with a dash of Saks Fifth Avenue
Stephen
Jul 26, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I liked it, well written with a good story.
Randomboredom
This was a good book. It was easy to read, and took no time to get through it but it was enjoyable.
  • One Drop of Blood (Kel McKelvey, #1)
  • Rock Bottom
  • Criminal Psychology And Personality Profiling (Forensics: The Science Of Crime Solving)
  • Hush
  • Devil's Waltz / Bad Love (Alex Delaware, #7-8)
  • Scavenger
  • Dead Secret (Diane Fallon Forensic Investigation, #3)
  • Seducing Mr. Right
  • Slipknot (Jane Bunker Mystery #1)
  • Front of the Class: How Tourette Syndrome Made Me the Teacher I Never Had
  • Gruel and Unusual Punishment (Pennsylvania Dutch Mystery, #10)
  • Mozart and the Whale: An Asperger's Love Story
  • Stiff News (Inspector Sloan #17)
  • In the Name of Science: A History of Secret Programs, Medical Research, and Human Experimentation
  • Guilty by Reason of Insanity: A Psychiatrist Explores the Minds of Killers
  • Asylum Denied: A Refugee's Struggle for Safety in America
  • All My Sins remembered
  • The 37th Hour (Sarah Pribek #1)
Michael M. Baden is a physician and board-certified forensic pathologist known for his work investigating high-profile deaths and as a host of HBO's Autopsy. He is also the Forensic Science Contributor for Fox News Channel. ~ Wikipedia
More about Michael Baden...

Jake Rosen & Manny Manfreda (2 books)
  • Skeleton Justice (Jake Rosen & Manny Manfreda  #2)