Start by marking “The Obsession” as Want to Read:
The Obsession

The Obsession

As a senior-year art student at a Santa Barbara university, Tristan is caught in a mental prison of his own making. Sexually repressed and emotionally abused by an oppressive mother, his preference for men leads him into sexual addiction. Then a new roommate appears in his dorm - Collin, a stunning psychology major from class he's fantasized about since the start of the sc ...more
ebook, 1st Edition, 236 pages
Published March 15th 2010 by eXtasy Books

To ask other readers questions about The Obsession, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Obsession

Ayanna
"A Santa Barbara university," eh? Which "Santa Barbara university" would that be, now?

And is it just me or is the nipple placement reaaally weird?

after attempting to read it
This almost reads like someone who has no idea what "real university" looks like. Either that or they generalized it so much all of the specific nouns got lost in generalization.
Edit: no, definitely has no idea what a "real" university is like. see below

The reason this is a big problem is because I go to "a Santa Barbara uni
Christie Gordon
Mar 14, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)  ·  review of another edition
The Obsession received a 4.25 from Book Wenches:
Snippets:
"Christie Gordon’s novel The Obsession tells a story of first love, betrayal, and the struggle of a young man to overcome an addiction triggered by a lifetime of abuse. I found this story to be both interesting and sad. The narrative drew me in very quickly, and I stayed glued to the pages in fascinated horror until the end."

"The interaction between the boys feels pretty natural, not forced or stilted, and I thought that Ms. Gordon did a g
Lily
Sep 03, 2012 rated it it was ok
This has certainly been an unusual read for me - with some aspects well executed, while others not so much. Ultimately, what made me appreciate the book was Tristan's emotional development and good characterisation. The romance dimension was not rendered believable to me because Collin always played the role of detached therapist, never that of participant in a loving relationship.

Which brings me to the main and highly problematic issue - (view spoiler)
Betryal
Mar 14, 2010 rated it it was amazing
The Obsession triggers around one of the characters but I really don't want to spoil anything by telling the who, how and what of it so I'll just keep it at a 'no spoiler' level if yeah don't mind.

Dealings of love lost, love gained, overcoming insecurities and betrayal. Loads of heart ripping drama. Trust is the key factor but unforeseen events has shattered and fractured that trust between these two men. Do they get that back? Find out.

I'd made comments as you might have noted when I updated
Tangled0
Aug 22, 2011 rated it it was amazing
What can I say? Dark, disturbing, powerful. Truly one of a kind. I wanted to throw the book halfway across the room sometimes. It pulled at me till the very end. I haven't been moved like this by very many books but if you're up for a roller-coaster of ride, angst and a dark love story, this is the book for you. I guarantee you will be thinking about it for days afterwards
Cherie Jones
Jun 09, 2019 rated it liked it
Cris
Feb 07, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: m-m, smut, lgbtq
I think this is the first time I’ve ever said this- there is an uncomfortable amount of sex in this book. Now, there’s a reason for it. A totally legit canon reason, even! But it was just… a bit too much for me personally. Definitely could’ve done with some fade to blacks in this one. Still, it’s an interesting concept. There were a couple of “surprises” that I saw coming a mile away, but given the number of hints we’re shown, that might have been intentional. This is well written and emotional- ...more
Pia Veleno
Jun 02, 2011 marked it as nfm
I'm okay with the vast amount of sex and masturbation in the story. I knew that was coming. I surrendered because I could see where the plot was heading, and really didn't want to see that happen. I'm not a fan of mental manipulation in the disguise of love, and because I expect the couple to have an HEA, I didn't want to read that forgiveness.

I will admit this was recommended to me by a couple of readers, so it's not down and out, but instead back in the maybe some day folder. I expect to retur
Rob
Sep 23, 2012 rated it it was ok
Shelves: m-m
Amber
Jul 26, 2014 rated it it was ok
This just wasn't my cup of tea. Tristan was an interesting character but he was so vulnerable, fragile, and naive. When paired up with Collin it made the story kind of sickening to read for me. It was really easy to spot how Collin was using him through out the book. There were several place that just icked me out when I knew what Collin was doing. For me Collin just didn't seem to show or give off any love for Tristan so the big end just didn't do alot to redeem him to me. Also the premise was ...more
Apr 21, 2014 rated it liked it
I don't know what to say about this book except that, while I was totally engrossed in it, I didn't like the ending. It was too neat and tidy. I thought that what Collin did to Tristan was unconscionable and cannot be forgiven, not to mention unethical. That said, I just loved Tristan. He was fragile and vulnerable, and he broke my heart. I wanted to wrap him up in a bear hug and never let him go.
Tamela
I'm having a problem with this one because I think that Collin acted like a total sh*t. So I was going to give the story a lower score, but to tell the truth, the story was good and I loved and felt sorry for Tristan.

I'm glad he got what he wanted in the end, I just hope Collin deserves him :)

Lily
From the looks of it I'm definitely in the minority but I simply did not enjoy this book. I couldn't stand Collin at all which made it extremely difficult to care about his relationship with Tyler. Even his "sacrifice" at the end couldn't turn this one around for me. I'm going with a 2 star rating because I did like Tyler and his condition made this an interesting story.
Anna
Tami
Aug 19, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: m-m
Well, Collin redeemed himself in the end. Love these guys.
Notaim
May 12, 2010 added it
amazing...truly a masterpiece
Amy
Feb 20, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: own-them
I think the end of this book was the best part. I loved how Tristan changed and really came out of his shell throughout this story, I think thats what did it for me.
L'marie
Jul 15, 2010
Leo
Nov 01, 2012
« previous 1 3 next »
Christie Gordon writes and draws among the beautiful sunsets and red rocks of Arizona. She lives with a menagerie of pets and children who make sure her life never has a dull moment. Her love of Japanese anime and rock music frequently becomes her muse for the stories of male/male love she adores writing. For information on her and her work, please visit her website at: www.christiegordon.com

To fr