Start by marking “Towards Zero” as Want to Read:
Towards Zero

Towards Zero (Superintendent Battle #5)

3.85  ·  Rating details ·  10,078 Ratings  ·  657 Reviews
Lady Tresselian invites several guests to stay at her seaside house at Gull’s Point. Against her better judgment, she has allowed her late husband’s ward, handsome tennis ace Neville Strange, and his wife Kay to come at the same time as Neville’s ex-wife Audrey. Other guests include Mary, Lady Tresselian’s companion; Ted, Kay’s ever-present friend; Thomas, a family friend ...more
Audio CD, Abridged, 2 pages
Published February 4th 2010 by BBC Physical Audio (first published June 1944)

To ask other readers questions about Towards Zero, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Towards Zero

BrokenTune
Jul 18, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: reviewed
‘I like a good detective story,’ he said. ‘But, you know, they begin in the wrong place! They begin with the murder. But the murder is the end. The story begins long before that– years before sometimes– with all the causes and events that bring certain people to a certain place at a certain time on a certain day.

What makes a good detective story? Suspense? Atmosphere? An outrageous plot? Memorable characters? Twists?

As with many others of Christie's stories, Towards Zero relies on a set of chara
Luffy
It's been some time since a murder mystery has imposed on my mind so heavily. Even when this mystery had all its clothes on, you could guess the promise it contained. I kept thinking, and the question and the curiosity, the suspense and the wonder, they kept occupying my mind. As the pages flew by, the time to say goodbye to Inspector Battle came too soon. At least Miss Marple starred in 13 of her books. Poor Battle was shunted aside in the public's stampede for Poirot.

I guessed wrongly regard
James
I'm breaking all the rules here. I had been reading my way through the Agatha Christie canon book-by-book in chronological order. Generally I was managing to get through a couple, or more, books per year. Suddenly – and very generously – my parents bought me a copy of Towards Zero for Christmas. As the fifth of the Superintendent Battle books – and the thirty-fourth published Christie novel – it was going to take me a while to get to. In fact, based on my current reading pace somewhere between 1 ...more
Nandakishore Varma
Even though most mysteries start with a murder, actually it is the end - culmination of a lot of events at a common point. Or so says one of the characters in this novel.

This is the theme of this book - events moving towards a murder: towards zero.

That it starts with a murder is of no matter. By the time one finishes the book, one will understand the appropriateness of the title.

This book features my favourite Christie policeman, Superintendent Battle.
Md. Fuad Fidah
Nov 05, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
আগাথা করিষটিকে রহসযের রাণি বলে, ভুল বলে। বলা উচিত রহসযের মহারানী। উনার একটা একটা বই পড়ি আর ভাবি এই বার ঠিকমতই আনদাজ করতে পেরেছি। তারপরই উনি দেখান কাঁচকলা, ঘটনা এমনসব দিকে যায় যে মাথা ঘুরতে থাকে।
সাধারণসব মারডার মিষটরীর দিক হয় খুন থেকে খুনি বের করার দিকে। আগাথার অনেক বইতেও তাই। পরথমে কিছু চরিতরের পরিচয়, এরপর একটা খুন। এরপর ডিটেকটিভ এসে খুনিকে বের করার ফনদি ফিকির করেন। অনেক বই এরকম হলেও এটা না। এটা পুরাই অনয ধরনের।
বইটাতে আসলে একটা খুন না, কয়েকটা খুন আছে। সবচেয়ে মজার বযাপার হল শেষ খুনটা খুন না, কি?
Sophie Hannah
Mar 10, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Brilliant. Elegant and spare like The Body in the Library. No Poirot or Marple, and I did slightly miss them - Superintendent Battle doesn't work as well for me - but is still one of Agatha's best, most well-plotted stories.
Veronique
Jun 13, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
4.5

What a devilish book this is!

It is no secret that Agatha Christie is one of my favourite authors, and in this novel, she truly excels. Slowly, inexorably, all the pieces of the chess, or mystery, are put in place awaiting the final scene - the murder - but things are of course not what they appear. The tension grows while all these characters meet, cross and finally come together. No Poirot present, although mentioned, but a very competent Superintendent Battle.

This is definitely one of her
Amorfna
Jul 26, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: books-i-own
Ono kad se poklopi slobodna nedelja, prazan splav, ladno pivo s limunom i odlična knjiga.
Sasvim pristojan letnji dan u Beogradu.

Da stvar bude neobičnija, jedna napomena vezana isključivo za ovo jeftino izdanje uz Blic Ženu,
Prevod opet Liber Novus ( s kojima već vodih rat ovde zbog očajnih prevoda). Ovaj put prevodilac potpisan i prevod mnogo kvalitetniji nego u prethodnim izdanjima.

Sve ide na bolje.
Suvi
Re-read 23.09.2017 From 4 to 5 stars.

None of the books I'm currently reading have been drawing me in during the past few days, making me watch movies and Buzzfeed Unsolved instead, so I felt like continuing my little project of re-reading a few of my favorite Christies.

Towards Zero is a bit different with Superintendent Battle as the main crime solver (mind you, influenced by Poirot's methods), and although he comes across as a bit bland with no distinct personality, the case itself is excellent
Emma 1
I loved Towards Zero. It was such a page turner and the title gives the novel a feeling a movement and destination. I loved the detail that was given to the back story to the murder and the anticipation of who was going to be murdered, due to the delay of the actual murder. I thought this was an excellent novel structure.

I found the structure of this novel interesting and wonder if anyone reading it guessed the murderer or worked it out? I found there were very little clues in this novel. I fou
Eustacia Tan
Nov 12, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: owned
I love Agatha Christie, really love her. And you know, Towards Zero is really different from her other books, in a good way. It sort of stars Superintendent Battle as our lead detective, and has a very unique sort of murders.

You see, Towards Zero postulates (that's a word that should be used more often) that a murder begins before someone dies. After all, it starts when someone decides to kill. And so, a murder occurs, and it's not as simple as it seems. There is Mr Strange, his first wife Audre
Jaksen
Sep 14, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Did you ever notice if you're channel-surfing on TV and you pause in the middle of a CSI or Law and Order type show that people are just talking-talking-talking? Around a desk. Walking down a corridor. Standing in a police garage or the morgue. They TALK. And talk, and move and talk some more, always explaining something to someone about something they've discovered or guessed or figured out. The writers try to make all this TALK interesting by having the actors move and use different locations, ...more
Ramya (Idea Smith)
Towards Zero could be called a classic whodunit - a murder mystery, multiple suspects each with the motive and the means. Agatha Christie's charming manner of introducing her characters and defining them with their individual quirks engages the reader. The setup of the plot seemed a little obvious. Midway through, I was already constructing situations in my head over which character would be murdered in order to deliver the maximum tension, so crucial to a book of this genre.The case analysis, c ...more
Tushi
Apr 12, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-2017
কিছু কিছু গলপ আছে সময়ের অভাবে অরধেক পড়ে রাখলে সব সময় মাথায় ঐ কাহিনী ঘুরতে থাকে । যেন নিজের অজানতেই নিজেই নিজেকে তাগাদা দিচছি বইটা পড়ার জনয । এটার বেলাও এমন হয়েছে ।
পরথম থেকেই যেন কিছু একটা হবে , কিছু একটা হবে বলা হচছিল । কি হবে মাথায় ঘোরা শুরু করছিল পরথম থেকেই । আসলে এটাও কখনো ভাবি নাই সব সময় গোয়েনদা কাহিনী শুরু হয় খুন দিয়ে কিনতু শুরু হওয়া উচিত খুন করার যে ছকটা তৈরি হয় সেখান থেকে ।
এই গলপেও পরথম থেকেই একটা ঠানডা মাথার খুনির কথার বলা হয়েছে । অথচ কি সুনদর ! এবারও আগাথা করিসটি কিছু সূতর দিলেও পাঠকদে
محمد عبداللطيف
قصة متوسطة المستوي

أكثر ما يضايقني فيما يماثل هذه القصة البوليسية هي إصرار المؤلف دائما علي إعطاء القارئ معلومات منقوصة لا تجعله قادر علي التوصل إلي شخصية القاتل و يقوم بإخفاء معلومات معيتة و مقصودة لجعله تائها طوال الوقت ، وهذا نوع من الإستسهال الشديد و لا يوجد فيه أي إبداع أو إبتكار ، في حين أن الكاتب المتمكن فعلا يقوم بإعطاء القارئ كل المعلومات الممكنة و مع ذلك يجعله غير قادر علي التوصل إلي حل اللغز
Lewerentz
Sep 03, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Je ne connaissais que l'adaptation ITV qui introduit Miss Marple et était curieuse de lire l'original.
قارِئـة
Mar 15, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
القصص البوليسية..القصص البوليسية دائما تبدأ بداية خاطئة، انها تبدأ بجريمة القتل في حين أن جريمة القتل هي النهاية أما بداية الأحداث التي تسوق اناسا معينين الى مكان معين في ساعة معينة من يوم معين...
تبدأ الكاتبة روايتها المليئة بالأشخاص والعلاقات المتشابكة بمجموعة من المشاهد تعرفنا بشخصيات القصة..فكلا منهم يعيش حياة مختلفة لا تربط بينهم أي صلة لتشاء الأقدار و الظروف أن تجمعهم في مكان واحد وهو قصر الليدي كاميللا (المجني عليها)..ثم تنتقل بنا أجاثا الى احد المستشفيات ونرى السيد ماكويرتر الذي حاول الان
rachel • typed truths
This is the third Agatha Christie novel I've picked up... and the third I've enjoyed! While Towards Zero was certainly lacking the edge-of-your-seat levels of suspense that made her And Then There Were None so fantastic, it still had its merits and was worth the read. It was more in tune with Murder on the Orient Express in the sense that the book built up until a jaw-dropping finale, but lacked the certain addictive spark for the better part of the story.

The concept of this book was brilliant,
Ardy Damar
Nov 01, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Kathy
Apr 03, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Though this book is not long in page numbers, it is drawn out as if one is plowing through a hard field. I got to thinking, boy, she is still bitter about her divorce but then looked up the dates. Divorced 1928, this book 1944. So that wasn't it. This was the final Superintendent Battle book, a series of just 5 books that had started in 1925. I had not read one of these before, so now I have had my Battle.

I shall not spoil book for others, so here it is briefly--The cast of characters is slowly
Wigati Ambar Pertiwi
3/5 stars

"Pembunuhan itu sendiri merupakan akhir dari ceritanya. Itulah Titik Nol-nya."
(p. 275)

Kirain pembunuhan disini gara2 masalah warisan, ternyata gak se-sepele itu. Bahkan pembunuhan ini terjadi sudah direncanakan jauh2 hari sebelumnya.

Pelajarannya:
- jangan meninggalkan terlalu banyak barang bukti di TKP pembunuhan, walaupun memudahkan polisi, justru itu menimbulkan kecurigaan. Haha

Eeva
Nov 17, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
BAZILLION STARS!
Gypsi
In this excellent mystery, Christie creates a complicated and tangled mystery with a satisfying and surprising ending.
Esraa
Jan 16, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
عُرفت السيدة اجاثا ببراعتها في إخفائِها لحقيقة القاتل كانت هذهِ أول رواية أقرأها لهذه السيدة العجوز التي تميزت بدهائها في تسطير رواياتِها البوليسية ، رغم انني كنت أعلم منذ زمن انها أفضل روائية في العالم إلى أني لم ابداء بفتح الباب الذي يجعلني اغوص في اعماق مخيلتها العجيبه
أما الآن ففتحت الباب بمفتاح "ساعة الصفر" قد تكون بعض أحداثها عاديه نوعاً ما ولكني استمتعت جداً بها ، احسست وكأني اشاهد فلماً سنمائياً ، عند قرائتي لم أشعر بثقل الوقت كدت أن أنهيها في جلسة واحده لولا انشغالي بأُمور أهم..
أُحب ال
Mónica Silva
Nov 29, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Opinião no blog http://howtoliveathousandlives.blospo...

Ligeiramente distinto das restantes obras de Agatha Christie, esta assenta na ideia que um homicídio não começa quando alguém morre, mas sim quando alguém decide matar. Por este motivo, as mortes nesta estória não são imediatas, existindo um longo período de introdução de personagens e caracterização das relações entre si.

De igual modo, esta obra é protagonizada pelo inspetor-chefe Battle, apesar de existirem algumas referências ao genial H
Evangelia
Αλλάζεις συνεχώς τους ύποπτους στο μυαλό σου, όπως και σε κάθε βιβλίο της Agatha. Το συγκεκριμένο όμως, είχε μια ιδιομορφία την οποία δε θα γράψω για να μην κάνω σποιλερ σε αυτός που δεν τ έχουν διαβάσει. Ήταν καλό, σε κρατούσε σε αγωνία κι έψαχνες συνεχώς για στοιχεία. Παρ' όλα αυτά, κατ' εμέ δεν είναι και από τα καλύτερα της, αξίζει όμως να διαβαστεί.
Richard
Jun 14, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-15, mystery
This is, I think, a better written Christie than many of her other books, but the ending is complete nonsense (AND yet I still mostly figured it out!). Pleasant diversion, yes. Compelling mystery, not so much.
Hind Riyadh
Feb 26, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
أجاثا كريستي العبقرية
صديقتي الصدوقة التي تخرجني دائما من اي سقم أو ملل أشعر فيه!
Aly
Oct 17, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
July 2016: My first re-read of this book, and I think it remains my favourite Christie to date. Nothing more to say. Also, third book of the booktubeathon complete!
Nanosynergy
Book #5 in the Superintendent Battle series - who generally plays a minor role in most books he is in but is still a fun Christie character. A husband arranges for both his wife and ex-wife to finally meet at the annual visit to the elderly widow who is like a mother to him. Then the widow is murdered...

Agatha Christie L...: March 2014 - Towards Zero 58 164 Jan 01, 2016 04:10AM
Goodreads Librari...: Edit page not working... 5 31 Apr 16, 2012 07:25AM
  • The Scoop and Behind the Screen
  • The Benevent Treasure (Miss Silver, #26)
  • Death and the Dancing Footman (Roderick Alleyn, #11)
  • Busman's Honeymoon (Lord Peter Wimsey, #13)
  • Pearls Before Swine (Albert Campion Mystery #12)

More about Agatha Christie...

Superintendent Battle (5 books)
  • The Secret of Chimneys (Superintendent Battle, #1)
  • The Seven Dials Mystery (Superintendent Battle, #2)
  • Cards on the Table (Hercule Poirot #15)
  • Murder Is Easy  (Superintendent Battle, #4)

Mystery & Thrillers Deals

• Lost and Found (Rock Harbor Search and Rescue #2)
    $2.99 $0.99
  • Light Before Day
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Hold Still (Jocelyn Rush, #1)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • Still Waters (Sandhamn, #1)
    $4.99 $2.00
  • Into the Light (The Light, #1)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • Burning Man (Gideon and Sirius, #1)
  • Disturbed
  • Cold Black Earth
    $3.99 $0.99
  • The Drowned Girls (Angie Pallorino, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Guardians of the Night (Gideon and Sirius, #2)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • The Man With the Golden Gun (James Bond, #13)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Beyond Belief (Emily Castles Mysteries)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • A Reason to Live (A Marty Singer Mystery Book 1)
  • The Memory Child
    $3.49 $0.99
  • Finding Emma (Finding Emma Series Book 1)
    $4.49 $1.99
  • The Lion, the Lamb, the Hunted
    $4.49 $1.99
  • The Lucky Ones
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Red Gold (Night Soldiers, #5)
  • A Small Indiscretion
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Allegedly
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Octopussy and the Living Daylights (James Bond, #14)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Dragon Bones (Red Princess, #3)
    $12.99 $1.99
  • Flee (Codename: Chandler #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Snow Garden
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Hallowed Bones (Sarah Booth Delaney #5)
    $7.99 $0.99
  • This Body of Death (Inspector Lynley #16)
    $7.49 $1.99
  • While the Savage Sleeps
  • The Technologists
    $12.99 $1.99
“When you read the account of a murder - or, say, a fiction story based on murder - you usually begin with the murder itself. That's all wrong. The murder begins a long time beforehand. A murder is the culmination of a lot of different circumstances, all converging at a given moment at a given point. People are brought into it from different parts of the globe and for unforeseen reasons. [...] The murder itself is the end of the story. It's Zero Hour.”

He paused.

“It's Zero Hour now.”
18 likes
“I suppose, like most young people nowadays, boredom is what you dread most in the world, and yet, I can assure you, there are worse things.” 3 likes