Start by marking “No One Is Illegal: Fighting Racism and State Violence on the U.S.-Mexico Border” as Want to Read:
No One Is Illegal: Fighting Racism and State Violence on the U.S.-Mexico Border

No One Is Illegal: Fighting Racism and State Violence on the U.S.-Mexico Border

No One Is Illegal debunks the leading ideas behind the often violent right-wing backlash against immigrants.

Countering the chorus of anti-immigrant voices, Mike Davis and Justin Akers Chacón expose the racism of anti-immigration vigilantes and put a human face on the immigrants who risk their lives to cross the border to work in the United States.

Davis and Akers Chacón cha
Published April 1st 2006 by Haymarket Books

To ask other readers questions about No One Is Illegal, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about No One Is Illegal

Eric
Mar 11, 2008 rated it liked it
Reflecting on my time in the ISO, this is one of the few Haymarket books I read that is worth slightly more than the paper it is printed on. Even so, after Mike Davis' section on the history of vigilantism in California, the rest of the book is the typically party-linish fluff that you could hear from the mouth of any ISO apparatchik. That Justin Akers Chacon wrote the second half of this book is irrelevant, it could have been any member who has been around the organization long enough for the p ...more
Chelsea
Jul 24, 2008 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: people who enjoy researching both sides of the issues
Recommended to Chelsea by: Melissa Wojnaroski
I have learned SO MUCH about the history of our immigration laws as well as how all different kinds of immigrants have been treated since the birth of the United States. As I'm trying to shape my own views on the whole immigration issue that has been circling the main stream media lately this book has really helped me understand where the issues are coming from, the history behind them. I've always heard that the knowledge of history helps an individual keep from repeating the bad parts. Maybe i ...more
David
May 07, 2007 rated it liked it
I'd say 3.5 stars, mainly because I felt that many parts of the book were too brief, and that, overall, the tone, though justifiably outraged, just didn't seem "scholarly." To be honest, my feelings on this matter are conflicted and complicated, but I"ll just leave it at that.
Fei
Jul 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Excellent accessible background on the forces that led to US foreign intervention and destabilization of economies in the global south + capitalism driving the migration of people into US as cheap undocumented labor. Ties together capitalism, immigration and labor systems and overlays the racist white supremacist violence that has always plagued the country, which uses immigrants as scapegoats pitted against white working class
Kimberly
Nov 16, 2011 rated it liked it
Immigration law and deportation have been crafted and implemented over the years not to streamline citizenship or stop immigration but to permanently fragment the working class. The comprehensive appropriation of the state apparatus of immigration control by capital has created the “illegal” worker, and entirely artificial construction whose sole purpose is to deprive the international “American” working class of its democratic rights.
p 199

Their main goal is not to “protect” the physical borders
Don
Nov 21, 2010 rated it liked it
Mixture of informative social history of the US south west and its class struggles over immigration and rather strident agit-prop. Read it over a week when I was due to watch, and provide comment as a discusaant, a screen of 'Welcome to Shelbyville'. Helped me to clarify throughts on the whole 'US as a country built by migrants' bit - which is obviously true by terribly soft focus, rose-tinted stuff.
Jes
Dec 15, 2014 rated it did not like it
I actually couldn't finish reading this. I read 50 pages in and despite the fact that this is a subject I'm very interested in and fully support, I couldn't take all the incendiary vocabulary. I wanted to read the facts and decide for myself how I felt about the situation. Instead, I was guided from the get-go into thinking lawmakers were monsters. I didn't appreciate that. Lots of good information, but again, the diction just turned me off.
Mary
Mar 02, 2012 rated it really liked it
This book is extremely informative on the history of immigration. I enjoyed how the book was split into sections and also the authors' objectivity. It isn't extremely detailed but it does give a great overview of all of the issues. The ending could be a bit controversial when they suggest that socialism is the only way to end immigration issues and racism, but it didn't override the purpose of the book. I highly recommend this book!
Liam Hanlon
Aug 12, 2011 is currently reading it
Have read about half so far. Is interesting to find out about the history of white vigilantism against migrant workers who dared to organise themselves in the early US west coast days through to current day fascist groups putting the lives of immigrants at risks, immigrants who have come to the US thanks to the pursuit of neoliberal policies from their governments pushed by the US government.
Dan Sharber
amazing easy to read book about the history of immigrant struggles. it was amazing to me how a certain group would be vilified at one point only to be embraced later when another group was hated. this happened wit the chinese, japanese, filipino etc etc etc...
Sara-Maria Sorentino
four stars just cause i like mike davis.
Mike
Mar 10, 2011 rated it really liked it
Very good book that illustrates past battles over immigration as well as the current ones and situates them within their proper economic context.
David Martin
Apr 08, 2012 rated it really liked it
Perfect book if u need to reference immigration issues. This books also points u in the right direction for many other topics. All around good read.
John
Jan 21, 2008 rated it liked it
Very interesting contribution to the debate on immigration. Essential for anyone who does not see the debate as black and white. Very quick read, entertaing and extremely informative.
Kate
Feb 15, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
Very engrossing text on the history of migrant workers and their role in creating America, the revulsion, racism and injustices they endured. The main focus is on Mexicans who found after the Mexican American War found that the border had move hundreds of miles south of them, and while now within the boundaries of the United States were stripped of all rights, their properties confiscated, driven off their land and had laws passed that stripped them of all rights to any justice or citizenship.
Wh
Carl
Jun 21, 2018 rated it liked it
In no way was this book a bad book. The authors have a progressive bias; Davis and Chacon used to book to argue, as the title suggests, that no one is illegal. The book was also used to argue for a borderless nation: capitalism needs and wants borders whereas the working class doesn't and suffers because of it. The authors also demonstrate how immigration and the rapid militarization of the border isn't just a Republican issue. Both Democrats and Republicans militarized the border fully aware of ...more
Gowdy Cannon
Aug 01, 2018 rated it really liked it
The title of this book sounds like a superficial liberal platitude but this book has a ton of history and research and citations and only a small part of it is about the present (and even then, it was written 12 year ago now - if it were written today, given the state of American immigration politics, I'm sure it would be three times as long). It definitely has an agenda and little nuance on big points, but history has been written by the winners for so long it was nice to read this perspective. ...more
Dan
May 30, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A great dive into the roles that (some) unions, nativists, agribusiness, small business owners, and politicians on both sides of the aisle have played in the construction and perpetuation on the anti-immigrant border-focused fear-mongering that has existed throughout our nation's history. Strong on data and facts to back up all its major points, it focuses most heavily on the history of agricultural fieldwork in California, and to a lesser extent across the entire border to Texas. In a Trump wor ...more
Nina
Sep 02, 2017 rated it really liked it
A bit outdated if you're following the current immigration fight, but interesting book overall - especially as an overview to the history of anti-immigrant sentiment in the United States. I personally felt like the author was a bit dogmatic on his views of socialism and communism, but feel like I learned a lot about immigration issues regardless.
Hannah
Aug 07, 2017 rated it really liked it
learned a lot from this, wrote tons down. part one seemed a little out of place, at least for the beginning of the book.
Steph
Feb 26, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Would recommend to the following groups: People who support a border wall, Trump supporters who "aren't racist", liberals who are surprised Trump won, liberals surprised at anti-immigrant and racist sentiments, people interested in labour movements, people interested in learning more about immigration, " pro-lifers" who advocate more border control

A great book that details the history of anti-immigrant sentiment in the U.S., while going into ideas of borders and some of the history of the labour
C.B. Daring
Kris
Jan 08, 2017
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
  • Occupied America: A History of Chicanos
  • Illegal People: How Globalization Creates Migration and Criminalizes Immigrants
  • Black Liberation and Socialism
  • Disposable Domestics: Immigrant Women Workers in the Global Economy
  • The Case for Socialism
  • Mexican Enough: My Life between the Borderlines
  • On Being Included: Racism and Diversity in Institutional Life
  • Translation Nation: Defining a New American Identity in the Spanish-Speaking United States
  • The Revolutionary Ideas of Karl Marx
  • They Take Our Jobs!: And 20 Other Myths about Immigration
  • The Woman in the Zoot Suit: Gender, Nationalism, and the Cultural Politics of Memory
  • Chicana Lesbians: The Girls Our Mothers Warned Us About
Justin Akers Chacón is a professor of U.S. History and Chicano Studies in San Diego, California.