Start by marking “I Love Dirt!: 52 Activities to Help You and Your Kids Discover the Wonders of Nature” as Want to Read:

I Love Dirt! presents 52 open-ended activities to help you engage your child in the outdoors. No matter what your location—from a small patch of green in the city to the wide-open meadows of the country—each activity is meant to promote exploration, stimulate imagination, and heighten a child's sense of wonder.

To learn more about the author, Jennifer Ward, visit her websi
Published May 13th 2008 by Roost Books

To ask other readers questions about I Love Dirt!, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about I Love Dirt!

Irmak
Jan 04, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kütüphanem
Doğayla iç içe büyüyen çocuklar yetiştirmek istiyorsanız içerisindeki etkinliklerin faydalı bir rehber olacağını düşünüyorum.

Bir çoğu birbirine benzer etkinlikler olsa da içlerinde gerçekten çok hoşuma giden etkinlikler de vardı.
Kellie
Aug 29, 2010 rated it really liked it
Shelves: parenting, outdoors
Many of these activities may seem obvious to science teachers and those who have spent a lot of time outdoors, but this book was really helpful to me as a mom who doesn't have much knowledge of such things myself but wants to encourage reverence/respect for nature in my kids. I thought the activities presented here were the best I have found - very simple and straight forward, requiring no outside materials, and many would be interesting to both my third grader and my preschooler. One example: g ...more
Dree
Jul 26, 2011 rated it did not like it
This is one odd little book. If I had bought this book I would have been so upset.

I'm not entirely clear on who the audience is. The subtitle says "your kids"--but the activities are for toddlers. At the end of each activity it tells you its supposed benefits--"Stimulates imagination and relaxation".

However, these activities are things kids do on their own. Looking for spiderwebs, counting ladybugs, watching the clouds, looking for bird nests. Kids don't need to be led to these activities. Kids
Kandice
Jul 05, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: child-rearing
I love nature and tend to spend a great deal of time outdoors. Heck, I'm scrambling to write this review before I am on the dark side of the internet moon while camping later today.

This summer, some friends and I put together a little "nature club" for our kids (ages 1-6). I picked up this little book from the library hoping it would spark some ideas and activities for our little ones. Unfortunately, I wasn't inspired because I think most of the 52 activities have been done naturally with our k
Sarah (Workaday Reads)
Mar 16, 2011 rated it it was ok
Shelves: read-in-2011
As the title suggests, this books provides 52 project ideas to introduce children to nature.

The description does mention the projects are "open-ended", but to me, I found them too vague. The projects included things like searching for rocks of varying shapes and sizes; puddle splashing; and stargazing. These are all worthwhile activites, however I was expecting more detailed projects.

This would be a good book for families who don't get outside much, and want to start with basic activities. It wo
Nichole
May 20, 2011 rated it it was amazing
A must own for parents! This book is broken down, by season, into short activities with fun facts about animals/insects/weather with each activity. As I was reading I noticed how many things children just do naturally but that as an adult I forget or overlook. The book reminded me how simple it is to discover and observe nature and to appreciate all of the wonder that surrounds us each day! I will definitely keep this book on hand as a reminder that there never has to be a dull moment when you'r ...more
Nov 25, 2008 rated it it was amazing
the only thing I don't like about this book is how it tells what specific skills your child is "supposed" to be learning with each activity, for example: "stimulates observation skills and awareness of and curiosity about the living world". it feels like this was added by an editor to satisfy all the baby einstein parents, when the whole message of the book is to allow your child to enjoy and discover nature in a joyful way, not to satisfy some lesson plan.
Tudor Ciocarlie
Aug 17, 2015 rated it really liked it
Some great activities in here.
Kristen Gebbia
Feb 26, 2018 rated it did not like it
Save your time. The whole book can be boiled down to this: "Go outside and look around." Or, alternatively: "Let your kids do what kids do naturally when you don't allow them to sit in front of electronics all day."

One idea (out of 52) that I did like: naming the full moons after something significant/traditional you do as a family that month.
Sahar Pirmoradian
Apr 06, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: education
This book contains simple and clear instructions for parents or caregivers to enhance the awareness and understanding of the kids about the nature around them by asking engaging questions. It is divided to various chapters on trees, birds, leaves, ..., providing hints on what questions we could ask our kids to enhance their curiosity and attention about a particular phenomenon. For example, when it comes to birds, we can ask our kids to pay attention to the size of the birds, the differences bet ...more
Madison
Nov 30, 2015 rated it liked it
I picked this up seeking inspiration for getting myself and my children into nature. The book is divided into seasonal activities that introduce a variety of topics. Some of the ideas are impractical for California, but for the most part there are great ideas to spring from. This book is aimed for younger children with parent direction.
susie
Jul 22, 2007 added it  ·  (Review from the author)
The first of a series of books written by Jennifer Ward and illustrated by me, aiming to inspire families to spend more time in nature & the outdoors. The second book (Let's Go Outside) is due out later this year.
Jan 10, 2017 rated it really liked it
This is a nice book for parents who want ideas and suggestions for spending time in nature with their kids. Learning made fun.
Sorento62
I Love Dirt! would be a great book for a teacher or kid's group leader who wants to lead kids in semi-structured outdoor activities. But what's really important is just to spend time outside. And generally, the more unstructured or child-led that time is, the better.
The book does encourage going outside, observing something, and giving a mini science lesson based on what you and the child you are with have observed. This is good as far as it goes, but again, I think what's even better to strive
Colleen
Jan 14, 2019 rated it really liked it
Activity ideas separated by season. I think this book would be best with 6-9 year olds. The activities are easy, not much prep, if any, required so I would consider it open and go. A lot of them are things some kids may naturally do in nature if they're used to being outside (which a lot of kids aren't these days so they might need more adult guidance which this book provides) but it's nice to have for when your mind goes blank and the question prompts keep the discussion going.
Semra
Dec 12, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Tanıtım bülteninde yazdığı üzere 4-8 yaş arası çocuklara doğa deneyimi kazandırmak amacıyla hazırlanmış ve bence amacına ulaşmış bir kaynak. Okurken basit izlenimi verse de farkında olmadan ebeveyni de bilgilendiriyor ve farkındalık oluşturuyor. Doğa deneyimleri edinmek için iyi bir başlangıç kaynağı. Öncesinde; Doğadaki Son Çocuk isimli eseri okumanızı öneririm.
Carrie Froese
Sep 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This is a great book for parents and educators of young children. Great ideas organized by season to get kids out and active in nature. Foreward by Richard Louv, author of Last Child in the Woods. My nephew and his partner are celebrating their son's first birthday in October. They are getting this book :)
April
Apr 13, 2018 rated it really liked it
Cute little book that gives you easy ideas on getting outside and exploring with your kids. It is divided into seasons. There are ideas, discussion questions and answers. More geared toward using toddlers.
Erica
Mar 09, 2018 rated it it was ok
I thought I was going to get ideas from this other than- Take your kid outside and hike. We already do this. We already talk about everything we are seeing and play with all the dirt, leaves, and trees.
Ellen Kehs
Feb 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This would be a great book to own and pull out for a weekly activity. The activities are short, give probing questions. This would be great for those days when the kids are bored.
Jun 18, 2017 rated it liked it
Any old science class or farm school has this stuff covered.
Lisa
Shelves: 2018
52 Easy outdoor activities for kids
Carole
Jul 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Great ideas for infusing nature inquiry into each day.
Calley Boucaud
Mar 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Lots of great ideas to get you and your child(ren) exploring nature.
Tracy
Jul 14, 2017 rated it really liked it
Quick and straightforward read with lots of great and realistic ideas for enjoying nature with your little ones. I was able to make a list of things to try.
Annette
I've always been interested in nature, environmental education, and place-based learning. I've even co-authored an article called Geocaching with Kids in Taproot: Journal for Education in the Outdoors, so I was thrilled to receive a LibraryThing Early Reviewer copy of "I Love Dirt: 42 activities to help you & your kids discover the wonders of nature". In her introduction, Jennifer Ward calls on parents, educators, and caregivers to spend time outdoors in nature.[return][return]When I was gro ...more
Kristen Iworsky
Feb 12, 2017 rated it liked it
Very simple activities to do with children probably around 2-5 years old.
Stephanie
Aug 11, 2013 rated it did not like it
Shelves: nature
Really really quick read. Picked it up from the library today and read through it in one sitting. It could be summed up by saying, "go outside. Look around you: what do you hear, smell, see. Okay now play." I'm thankful this is a library book because there was just nothing new or creative.

I'm surprised to say that I found this surprisingly depressing. We are so out of touch that parents need to read a book like this to know what to do with their children outside. We don't need to say, "what do y
Brian
May 08, 2008 rated it liked it
Just got this as an Early Reviewer (on a different site, ahem). I'm not sure if this was intentional, but the book was not the whole book, it only had 15 of the 52 outdoor activities to do with your kids. I can't say I was too excited about the ones that were included. My kids are 4 and 1, and we have managed to keep them, in large part, away from the TV, and so they already love to play outside. Yesterday it was rainy most of the day, so we put on the rainboots and headed out for some good pudd ...more
  • Sharing Nature with Children: The Classic Parents' & Teachers' Nature Awareness Guidebook
  • The Creative Family: How to Encourage Imagination and Nurture Family Connections
  • Roots, Shoots, Buckets  Boots: Gardening Together with Children
  • All Year Round: Calendar of Celebrations, A
  • First Art: Art Experiences for Toddlers and Twos
  • Playful Learning: Develop Your Child's Sense of Joy and Wonder
  • Fifteen Minutes Outside: 365 Ways to Get Out of the House and Connect with Your Kids
  • The Case For Make Believe: Saving Play in a Commercialized World
  • Creative Play for Your Toddler: Steiner Waldorf Expertise and Toy Projects for 2 - 4s
  • Heaven on Earth: A Handbook for Parents of Young Children
  • Beyond the Rainbow Bridge: Nurturing Our Children from Birth to Seven
  • Fifty Dangerous Things (You Should Let Your Children Do)
  • Seven Times the Sun: Guiding Your Child Through the Rhythms of the Day
  • Power of Play: How Spontaneous, Imaginative Activities Lead to Happier, Healthier Children
  • Respectful Parents, Respectful Kids: 7 Keys to Turn Family Conflict into Cooperation
  • Living Simply with Children: A Voluntary Simplicity Guide for Moms, Dads, and Kids Who Want to Reclaim the Bliss of Childhood and the Joy of Parenting
  • Above All, Be Kind: Raising a Humane Child in Challenging Times