Start by marking “Macrowikinomics: Rebooting Business and the World” as Want to Read:
Macrowikinomics: Rebooting Business and the World

Macrowikinomics: Rebooting Business and the World

In their 2007 bestseller, Wikinomics Don Tapscott and Anthony Williams showed the world how mass collaboration was changing the way businesses communicate, create value, and compete in the new global marketplace. Now, in the wake of the global financial crisis, the principles of wikinomics have become more powerful than ever.

Many of the institutions that have served us w
Published September 28th 2010 by Portfolio (first published September 1st 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Macrowikinomics, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Macrowikinomics

Ben Babcock
Full disclosure: I received this book in a Goodreads First Reads giveaway. Loves me the free books.

In Wikinomics, Don Tapscott and Anthony D. Williams argue that the Internet has irrevocably altered the way corporations and businesses will interact and develop new products and services. The proprietary, closed models of research and design are obsolete and must be replaced by mass collaboration with outside talent. Companies that do not embrace this new ethic of economics, the eponymous wikinomi
MsSmartiePants ...like the candy...
So far, it's a fantasy tale about what is the future of the planet. Really? Can predict the future, huh? I am slogging through, hoping that the rose-colored glasses come off and they will provide some great insights. Hope I'm not disappointed.

Disappointed......sooooo disappointed. Rambling on and on about what they believe the future could/should be, now that the internet is here and equalizing all of the citizens of the planet into a one world, green, clean, non-religious, non-discriminatory pl
Prescott
Nov 28, 2010 rated it it was ok
Having heard a number of eye-opening interviews with Don Tapscott, I was utterly disappointed by this book. The subject matter is interesting and ultimately highly important, but struggles to shine beneath the stodgy language and over-explanations of the book's prose.

Clearly, the audience of this book is the layman, who has been living in the 1950s since, well, the 1950s. For a tech-savvy, future-focused reader like myself, there was hardly anything I hadn't heard before.

Strangely, while the b
Cristina
Jun 27, 2012 rated it it was ok
arguements are sound, examples are valid ... but i'm torn. this book seems too 'hopeful' - or i'm just jaded. right now it's a collection of good ideas (or ideals?) but i truly can't see the future this book envisions coming about any time soon.
Harald Katzenschläger
A must read when you want to know more about collaborative innovation
Dave Burns
Feb 26, 2012 marked it as to-read
Shelves: library
Just getting started.
Luis Orozco
Oct 13, 2012 rated it liked it
I liked the ideasresented in the book, but having read it a number of years after its release, I find it somehow too optimistic and extremely repetitive.
Tom Andrus
Dec 01, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book made me glad to be alive at this time.
SVEN
Sep 06, 2017 rated it it was ok
I read it in 2017 and that may have been 10 years too late for any of it to be insightful. The utopian vision of shared everything leading to prosperity has since been proven equally dangerous as attractive.
Supratim
Jul 13, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: non-fiction, business
Review to come soon! :)
May Ling
Mar 06, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: economics, future
For whatever criticisms these authors might obtain, I do think this book is quite great as was their previously written effort in 2006. The world is changing and these two are screaming about it at the top of their lungs in a way that is quite thoughtful.

(P. 68 and weaved throughout the book)Their example of Linux as a fully volunteer organization is quite well constructed. I am hoping to build on it in my writing efforts on the topic.

(P. 368 Is online collaboration killing privacy) This is a r
Daria Steigman
Dec 17, 2015 rated it it was amazing
The world has changed, but has your business? The premise of Macrowikinomics: Rebooting Business and the World is that we need to embrace our interconnectedness and harness the power of technology and the social Web to tackle big problems and grow 21st-century businesses:

Wikinomics has gone beyond a business or a technology trend to become a more encompassing societal shift… Wikinomics, defined as the art and science of mass collaboration in business, becomes macrowikinomics: the application of
Soundview Executive Book Summaries
Macrowikinomics: Rebooting Business and the World by Don Tapscott was chosen by Soundview Executive Book Summaries as one of the Top 30 Business Books of 2011.

THE SOUNDVIEW REVIEW:

Macrowikinomics is a follow-up to the authors' 2006 breakthrough title Wikinomics: How Mass Collaboration Changes Everything. Macrowikinomics is a natural successor to the ideas first explored in Wikinomics. If executives spent even a few moments with the original title, the sequel is a must-read.

Wikinomics studied the
Leonidas Kaplan
Oct 11, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Summary: An intuitive thesis on the necessity for transparency, openness and collaboration for the quickly evolving internet-centric society. Using various real-world companies and organizations that have already employed the concepts.

MacroWikinomics proposes a new frontier into developing a successful business, as well as, correcting many of humanities current lagging elements such as 3rd-world violence, pollution, and energy demand, among countless other examples.

Review: Expand your perspecti
1.1
Jan 13, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: first-reads
Won this one. Thanks to the giveaways, being kind to me lately and all. This tome will get a second life as home defense tool or even better as part of a chair made entirely from books.

Firstly, for everyone complaining about language and usage issues in this book, the generally dry (I wouldn't say stale, per se*) style and repetitiousness: it's a business book written by business people and all the jacket blurbs are from CEOs. So, really, there are characteristics of this book that shouldn't sur
Jari Pirhonen
This is a great continuation to Wikinomics, which presented five principles for organizations and individuals to succeed in new, changed/changing world: collaboration, openness, sharing, integrity and interdependence. The authors present breathtaking variety of examples, where Wikinomics principles has been put in to the work. Examples include not only business world, but also efforts to help people, environment and the world. The book covers current challenges and possible future of financial s ...more
Paul Miller
I heard the author give a great 1-hour lecture on the topic at a conference... a better lecture than a full book. The concept is certainly very real - how collaborative innovation is changing the world. My issue was in an attempt to demonstrate how the approach is touching so many fields, the author never really probes thoughtfully into any one topic, leaving lots of unanswered questions.

For example, in the chapter on government, he describes Obama using an open site to gather priorities for th
Silas White
Nov 01, 2012 rated it really liked it
This book comprehensively tackles an important subject. I understand some readers feel it's been expressed better elsewhere, such as in Wikinomics, but I had to skip to this one as Wikinomics seems a bit dated. I plan to go back to it now, though -- I expect to find some repetition. But there is also plenty of repetition and long-windedness *within* Macrowikinomics. I'm sure it easily could've been at least 100 pages lighter by cutting down on redundancy and repetition alone. The "it's all about ...more
Richard Gombert
Jan 10, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audio, 2011
This is an interesting book and well worth the read.

Downsides:
Authors are very, very repetitious. It reads like they wrote each chapter as a separate paper. In most of the chapters they spend a good few pages telling us the same thing over again (do they get paid by-the-word?).
Authors do not practice what they preach. For a book about internet collaboration and the new global enterprise, the is a surprising lack of wiki, collaboration tools on the website. I'd at least expect to find a web pag
Sujata Sahni
This is a time for Renewal and Transformation and not for Tinkering. This is not just a global financial crises but a crises for globalization. The old industrial models of education, media, healthcare, energy, finance and government that were broken are now getting a rebirth through fresh thinking and new approaches which represent a mixture of promise and peril. The new age of Networked Intelligence is killing the "plan and push" mentality. Organizations can succeed and even thrive in this new ...more
Gabriel Alan
Part economic soothsaying, part state of the union for mass collaboration, Macrowikinomics is a reasonable overview of, and partial blueprint for, bringing the attributes of openness, transparency and participation to social and political structures. Although it addresses critics like Jaron Lanier (author of ‘You Are Not A Gadget: A Manifesto’), the book still does not offer much insight into the politics and pitfalls of large-scale open-source projects, something that may have tempered the extr ...more
Neelesh Marik
Jul 30, 2012 rated it it was amazing
This book easily falls in the category where the value you can derive from reading it is far, far higher than the cost of procuring it. Any leader in the digital age (or follower, for that matter) cannot afford to not read it.

The five principles of macrowikinomics: collaboration, openness, sharing, integrity and interdependence are turning virtually every domain of human endeavor inside out.

For a birds eye view visit macrowikinomics.com and watch this video.
Erik
Apr 15, 2012 rated it did not like it
This book is less a look at the macro-economic effects of 'wikinomics' and more a work of futurism, contemplating how great life will be after everything embraces the concept. Reminds me of The Singularity Is Near in its pollyannish optimism. The Singularity, however, takes a much deeper and systematic approach to thinking about future events, while MacroWikinomics almost always provides the most simple, straightforward take on how macrowikinomics could solve each of the world's major problems.
Ivo Fernandes
Mar 15, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: tech, favorites
This book is like a continuation of the Wikinomics.

Don Tapscott can really lose himself in dives into the future, in this book he presents the theory of how companies should default to open and to practices that enable collaboration with their customers, with their competitors, or even with the entire world, try to predict what the competitive advantages they will get for following this principles, and then show a large number of companies that are putting this theories into practice.
Marcia
Jan 17, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: first-reads
This is a fascinating, erudite yet readable, book about the state of world economics. The authors give plenty of examples to explain complicated economic theories and practices. Basically, their premise is that the trickle-down theory previously applied to economics, religion, education, and other facets of culture does not work well today. The internet has opened the possibility of lateral information called "collaborative communities".
Justine
Sep 24, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: academic
Another good read. This 2010 book serves as a strong wake up call to all organisations to update the way they ought to work - i.e. to embrace the five principles of networked intelligence - collaboration, openness, sharing, integrity, and interdependence - and to reap rewards from social innovation.

In particular, Tapscott and Williams dish out analysis/advice for key areas of green technology, education/learning, healthcare, media and government.
Vincent
Jul 09, 2016 rated it did not like it
Shelves: business
This book isn't helpful to businessmen, either with its examples of its specific advice. It gives example of organizations working with people from the outside, and soliciting volunteers, but it doesn't explain how the companies exactly did that. I was expecting this book to be on par with other great business books like "Good to Great" and "Blue Ocean Strategy". I was utterly disappointed. I feel cheated on both time and money.
Scott
Jan 22, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Fascinating read about wikinomics

This is a long but fascinating read on the power of wikinomics and its impacts on modern society.

I highly recommend this book for the modern leader to read and embrace. The world has changed, and will continue to change, and ignorance and avoidance are not the answer.

Potentially, given the content of the book and he sometimes repetitive nature, you can either skip or skim sections.

Overall, a great read and a great topic to explore.
Mary
Mar 01, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: first-reads
I received a free copy of this book from the Goodreads First Reads program. Thank you to Don Tapscott and the First Reads for the opportunity to read this wonderful book.

This was a great book about how innovation can be spurred through collaboration. I enjoyed the references to small business, as that is an important catalyst for innovation.

Rajat Acharya
Nov 20, 2012 rated it it was amazing
A book that talks about the overall economic situation and creates great connections accross sectors to prove that by solving one problem, you could fix another. You do not have to be into economics to read this book. Any Science, Math, Media etc geek will also enjoy this book!

• The Mesh: Why the Future of Business Is Sharing
  • Open Leadership
  • The Penguin and the Leviathan: The Triumph of Cooperation Over Self-Interest
  • Remix: Making Art and Commerce Thrive in the Hybrid Economy
  • Borrowing Brilliance: The Six Steps to Business Innovation by Building on the Ideas of Others
  • The End of the Free Market: Who Wins the War Between States and Corporations?
  • Brilliant, Crazy, Cocky: How the Top 1% of Entrepreneurs Profit from Global Chaos
  • The $10 Trillion Prize: Captivating the Newly Affluent in China and India
  • The Power of Pull: How Small Moves, Smartly Made, Can Set Big Things in Motion
  • I Live in the Future & Here's How It Works: Why Your World, Work, and Brain Are Being Creatively Disrupted
  • Seizing the White Space: Growth and Renewal Through Business Model Innovation
  • The New Capitalist Manifesto: Building a Disruptively Better Business
  • Nexus: Small Worlds and the Groundbreaking Theory of Networks
  • Grouped: How Small Groups of Friends Are the Key to Influence on the Social Web
  • The Flight of the Creative Class: The New Global Competition for Talent
  • Jobs to be Done: Theory to Practice
  • Humans Are Underrated: Proving Your Value in the Age of Brilliant Technology
  • A Fine Line: How Design Strategies Are Shaping the Future of Business
Don is one of the world’s leading authorities on innovation, media, and the economic and social impact of technology and advises business and government leaders around the world.

In 2011 Don was named one of the world's most influential management thinkers by Thinkers50. He has authored or co-authored 14 widely read books including the 1992 best seller Paradigm Shift. His 1995 hit Digital Economyc