Start by marking “Santeria: The Religion: Faith, Rites, Magic” as Want to Read:
Santeria: The Religion: Faith, Rites, Magic

Santeria: The Religion: Faith, Rites, Magic

When the Yoruba of West Africa were brought to Cuba as slaves, they preserved their religious heritage by disguising their gods as Catholic saints and worshiping them in secret. The resulting religion is Santer�a, a blend of primitive magic and Catholicism now practiced by an estimated five million Hispanic Americans. Blending informed study with her personal experience, G ...more
Published September 1st 2002 by Llewellyn Publications (first published 1989)

To ask other readers questions about Santeria, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Santeria

Start your review of Santeria: The Religion: Faith, Rites, Magic
cookielover
No está mal como introducción al tema. Tiene mucha información sobre sus prácticas y orígenes, aunque no siempre es correcta. Lo peor del libro es lo terrible que se hace leerlo en español por los constantes errores de traducción y faltas de ortografía, se nota que no pasó por revisión. El español usado suena muy artificial y es difícil meterse completamente en el libro cuando en cada página te encuentras un puñado de incorrecciones.
Sasha
Jul 14, 2020 rated it liked it
Very informative, it was a basically reading a textbook. I'm more happy that I was able to learn about a religion that has been so secretive and distant.
Alexandra Zapata
Aug 22, 2018 rated it really liked it
Muy Informativo, pero la edición en español que leí tiene demasiados errores ortográficos, imperdonables.
Tertsea Asor
Sep 20, 2019 rated it really liked it
3.76
Kevin
Apr 15, 2010 rated it it was ok
The Good: A wide range of topics are covered. As with many introductory books, this is extremely good for people new to the religion, who really have no starting point yet. Unlike most other introductory books, though, it covers important areas such as eggun and even talks about things most people wouldn’t even think to ask about, such as what happens when a santero dies.

The Bad: Sometimes, it gets a little too diverse. I appreciate that the author was trying to expose the reader to many of th
M
Nov 15, 2014 rated it really liked it
As someone who has hovered on the outskirts of the Religion for so long, I loved this book. I found it almost by accident, and I was so happy that it was available in my library system. It is smart, well-written, and informative in so many ways.

My major complaint is that some of the orishas are not given the attention that they deserve. I know why this is, the book explains why so much information isn't actually available in the first place -- it's kept hidden, away from prying eyes, discussed a
Heka
Jan 26, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was my first encounter with Santeria and I really enjoyed this book. I feel like the author does an excellent job of explaining the cultural mindset and reasoning around many of Santeria's concepts and practices. If nothing else, she does a good job of delving into and explaining some uncomfortable topics and stereotypes. In the months after finishing this book, I often found myself thinking back to and mulling it over. There is certainly a lot to learn here and I've discovered that I'm qui ...more
Delphina
It is filled with fundamentals about the religion and includes personal anecdotes. It was a slow read for me as the material is informative but not gripping. However, I'm glad I stuck with it because it gave me a solid beginners' grasp of knowledge about this religion. Before I read this book, I only had a rough notion of animal sacrifice and possible connections with Catholicism. I'm confident that I can have an informed conversation about this subject now.
Carolina Nazario
Dec 28, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I found this book very informative, but I feel it would be better suited for someone who is in this religion and wants to learn more about it. This book covers everything you would need to know. The chapter that affected me most was the last chapter. It was a bang type of ending and I liked hearing of the authors own experience. It made me feel like she is actually is apart of this religion and not just someone that writes a book based on other books. You know, it made her seem real.
Lisa James
Mar 06, 2011 rated it it was amazing
I love comparative religions, & this was a totally fascinating look into Santeria, which combines aspects of African magic & Catholic beliefs. To make it even more interesting, there are black & white photos to illustrate these teachings.

HIGHLY recommended to those who will appreciate the anthropology aspects, as well as the religious & spiritual & magickal aspects.
Victoria
Oct 10, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: informational
I loved the way Migene put this book together. Santeria can be hard to follow with all it's elements but her format was easy to follow and very informative. Her references were concise and honest. Good reference book if dealing with anything in this area.
Elizabeth
i'm currently reading it son
Danny
Feb 02, 2011 rated it liked it
If you want to learn about Santeria...
Sandy
Jul 21, 2009 rated it liked it
Shelves: religion-myth
This book is my "bible" to understanding Santeria. I know who "my" god is and why havock is reeked on me sometimes!
Carolina
Nov 02, 2007 rated it liked it
It's a decent, though dense, overview if you are interested in the topic.
S.
Dec 21, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Was alright..
Josh
Mar 23, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: spirituality
Good introductory to the religion.
Anita Acuna

• Quantum Gravity: Reasoning with New Physics
  • Nikola Tesla: Imagination and the Man That Invented the 20th Century
  • Black Holes: The Reith Lectures
  • Leonardo da Vinci: A Life From Beginning to End
  • QUANTUM PHYSICS for Beginners in 90 Minutes without Math: All the major ideas of quantum mechanics, from quanta to entanglement, in simple language
  • Subconscious Mind Power: How to Use the Hidden Power of Your Subconscious Mind
  • Abraham Lincoln: A Life From Beginning to End
  • Quantum Incident (Quantum, #0.5)
  • Dialogue: The Art of Verbal Action for Page, Stage, and Screen
  • A Complete Guide to the Tarot
  • Blackthorn's Botanical Magic: The Green Witch’s Guide to Essential Oils for Spellcraft, Ritual  Healing
  • Angels in the Mist (The Z-Tech Chronicles Book 1)
  • Write the Perfect Read: Make Readers Happy While Propelling Them to the Last Page - The Fiction Edition
  • The Beginner's Guide to Alchemy: Practical Lessons and Exercises to Enhance Your Life
Migene González-Wippler es una autora puertorriqueña de temas como la Wicca y una líder experta en la religión afro-caribeña de la santería. González-Wippler nació en Puerto Rico y tiene grados de psicología y antropología de la Universidad de Puerto Rico y de la Universidad de Columbia.

News & Interviews