Start by marking “The Snow Leopard” as Want to Read:
The Snow Leopard

The Snow Leopard

4.14  ·  Rating details ·  113 Ratings  ·  24 Reviews
From the beginning of time, high above the hidden valley, Snow Leopard has sung the stars to life, the sun to rise and the moon to wax and wane. She has woven words of protection to keep the hidden valley safe from the world and as she sings, a child lies dreaming the song down in the valley beneath. But time is passing, and Snow Leopard needs to find a singer who will fol ...more
Published September 28th 2007 by Frances Lincoln Children's Bks

To ask other readers questions about The Snow Leopard, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Snow Leopard

Carmen
Dec 06, 2015 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Kids; Parents
From the beginning of time, out of silence, Snow Leopard sang the stars to life, the sun to rise and the moon to wax and wane. High above the hidden valley, her song clothed the world in white and built a crackling fortress of snow, buttressed with ice, to keep all things safe and secret.

The main draw to this book is the absolutely gorgeous pictures by Jackie Morris. She will leave you breathless with her beautiful paintings.

The story is about a mystical snow leopard who eventually chooses a suc
Kayla
Apr 23, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children-books
This book personifies purity, and natural beauty. Reading this gorgeous story book left me with chills. It is these kinds of nature themed stories that I lapped up as a child. Absolutely stunning illustrations, and beautifully put together verse. A stunningly spell binding story, I loved it, can you tell?
Edward Sullivan
Feb 05, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
A stunningly illustrated fantasy.
Andrew
Jul 07, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: childrens
Such luxuriant imagery, tinged by sadness born not merely out of loneliness; a narrative of solitariness tinged by the careless ravages of man; the triste of the watchful, the caring.

But the gorgeous watercolours are not matched by the text, where poetry might have suited better.
Amy Carr
Aug 08, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-book
A beautiful myth set against the backdrop of the Himalayan mountains...the lyrical text and story almost read like a lullaby. The illustrations are bold and beautiful. I loved the story that celebrates the animals and landscapes in this world that inspire and uplift and reminds us that as stewards as the earth, if do not protect what is around us, then we will lose what is precious and beautiful.
Barbara
Jan 19, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This book tells the story of a hidden valley deep in the Himalayas and the snow leopard that protects it. The snow leopard is growing old and needs to find a successor. Will she succeed?

As always with Jackie Morris, the pictures are stunningly beautiful. The story is good too, but isn't quite up to the level of the pictures.
Apr 01, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: children 3 to 5 and still-magical adults
This is a wonderful, beautiful book for little kids, perhaps 3 to 5. It is set in a high, mountainous Asian land, so I'm guessing Nepal or Tibet? It is lovely in all ways, and I sent away for my own copy immediately upon finishing!
Karen
What a cover! Absolutely breathtaking, as is the backcover and inside art. The story, about a magical valley of special souls guarded over by a snow leopard spirit, is unfortunately weak - trying for nature-inspired myth and not quite reaching the mark.
Robert
May 30, 2012 rated it it was amazing
A mysterious and sophisticated story of the mystical Himalayan Snow Leopard in search of it's human successor. Absolutely marvelous illustrations, beautiful in execution and breathtaking in imagery. Another example of a Caldecott Award snub.
Gina
Dec 05, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: animals, picture-book
Gorgeous illustrations and mystical prose weave a spell for the lucky child who picks up this picture book. Told as a fable, the Snow Leopard is a spirit animal that protects her part of the world until she finds a dreaming child.
Attila
Mar 31, 2015 rated it it was amazing
A beautiful book about a snow leopard spirit watching over a valley and its people.
Susana
Sep 27, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
No sé si fue la traducción, pero creo que la narrativa se queda corta a comparación de la impactante belleza de las imágenes. Es una pena que no estén a la misma altura.
Megan
Ages 4 to 8
Skip
Mar 29, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: childrens
A gorgeously illustrated book about a snow leopard in a Tibetan valley. Unfortunately, the plot made little sense to me.
Faith Lackey
Sep 26, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
Magical, lyrical, bittersweet, and lovely. Teens and adults will appreciate the brilliant artwork and the moving story.
Lizanne Whitlow
Gorgeously illustrated.

Merged review:

Gorgeously illustrated; a beautiful story.
Jess Gill
extrodinary illustrations and beautiful prose make this book about the rarely seen, mysterious snow leopard one which adults and children will enjoy.
Chandra
Mar 20, 2013 marked it as youngster-reads
wonderful.
Stefanie
Jan 06, 2016 rated it it was amazing
What a special book. I look forward to sharing this with my own child some day.
Kate
Nov 08, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
Stunning artwork by Jackie Morris and beautiful words. I adore snow leopards and this for me just enhances why I find them so breathtaking. I will be reading more of Jackie Morris' work.
Mic
May 04, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: children-s
Beautiful imagery.
Bree
May 21, 2012 rated it did not like it
Notes::
Not what I thought.
Weird story about leopard spirit and environmentalism.
Xavier
Jul 25, 2008
Karen
Jun 02, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
INCREDIBLE ILLUSTRATIONS, I love all of her art work.
Ellie
Oct 04, 2017
Judith
Jun 23, 2013
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Jackie Morris lives in a small house on the Welsh coast. She wanted to be an artist from the earliest she could remember. After studying art at Hereford and Bath Academy she went on to illustrate for magazines and newspapers. She began her first book for children the week after her first child, Thomas was born and has gone on to illustrate and write many books.
More about Jackie Morris...