Start by marking “The Living Text of the Gospels” as Want to Read:
The Living Text of the Gospels

The Living Text of the Gospels

4.12  ·  Rating details ·  17 Ratings  ·  6 Reviews
The Living Text of the Gospels represents an important new departure in Gospel studies and textual criticism. David Parker offers a way of reading the Gospels which treats seriously the fact that they first existed as manuscripts. Through an analysis of the different forms of a number of key passages, he demonstrates that the Gospels cannot be properly understood as texts ...more
Published December 10th 2005 by Cambridge University Press (first published August 7th 1997)

To ask other readers questions about The Living Text of the Gospels, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Living Text of the Gospels

Ben Reynolds
Mar 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This is essential reading for anyone interested in the text of the New Testament. Parker does an outstanding job of challenging long held assumptions about textual criticism and opens up new ways of understanding and appreciating the diversity of readings found within the manuscript tradition.
Laura Robinson
Apr 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This made me despair of source and redaction criticism and rethink my research trajectories and all the decisions I have made up to this point as a scholar, but I still loved it.
Christine Sunderland
A highly technical and scholarly work and probably too difficult for me, but having said that, I found this material perfect background for writing my current novel-in-progress about the first century documents of Early Christianity, the problems of knowing versus probablilty, of history versus the past, of how to evaluate the New Testament writings of Paul, Matthew, Mark, Luke, John. In essence, D.C. Parker posits that these documents, of which the oldest copies date to 195 AD, tell the story o ...more
Dennis Podryadchikov
By giving a detailed description of certain textual problems, the author emphasizes the variety of Texts which reflects approaches of different church traditions. The author thinks that the ultimate cause of this textual variety is the work of the Holy Spirit. This interesting in itself claim seem to try to connect academics and spirituality, which is an unexpected move.
Tim Bomgardner
Apr 04, 2016 rated it really liked it
An excellent treatment of implications of textual criticism. It challenged my views and inspired my view of a faith community's relationship with Scripture.
Mar 22, 2017 rated it liked it
Being new to textual criticism, I think this was a good introduction. However, now I'm left with so many questions regarding the doctrine of the word that I can't say I loved reading it. It has definitely impacted my thinking; time will tell how I am able to use this information.
Ben