Start by marking “Girl In A Red Tunic” as Want to Read:
Girl In A Red Tunic

Girl In A Red Tunic

(Hawkenlye Mysteries #8)

really liked it 4.00  ·  Rating details ·  275 ratings  ·  19 reviews
Richard the Lionheart is still being held hostage after his crusade and his people made paupers by paying the ransom. The Abbess Helewise is struggling to keep the abbey going through a cold, brutal winter fending off starvation of her nuns and the local people. And then a much-loved person returns to her after nearly twenty years in desperate need of help. Her son. He cla ...more
Published November 7th 2005 by Hodder & Stoughton (first published 2005)

To ask other readers questions about Girl In A Red Tunic, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Girl In A Red Tunic

really liked it 4.00  ·

Ingrid
Jul 30, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
More of Helewise's past is reveiled. Slightly less interesting that the ones before, but still fun enough to read on.
LJ
First Sentence: He had to wait until it was dark and everyone was asleep.

Abbess Helewise has been thinking about her life prior to joining the Abbey. She is surprised, yet concerned, when her son Loefgar, shows up with his wife, who looks pale and ill, and their 14-month son, who is unnaturally shy and won’t speak. It is a relief to have her good friend, Josse d’Acquin, who had come to the Abbey ill but is recovered, on hand.

When a man, who claims his brother was killed by Leofger in a dispute,
Karen Mardahl
Sep 22, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoyed this book and read it in one day. I was travelling - waiting in airports and flying - so that helped. When I got home, I had to finish the book despite the late hour.

It's a simple mystery, and as others have written, easy to figure out. However, it's the atmosphere that is fantastic, as well as the time - the year 1193! I found all that quite enjoyable and a worthwhile way to spend a few hours on a dull day. It doesn't seem to be a problem that I haven't read the preceding 7 boo
Lynne Tull
This story left me cold. I didn't like the flashback to Helewise's life before the Abbey. It seemed to be added to appease the readers that want a little spice in the stories. I think that was not necessary. There has always been an under current of some chemistry between Josse and Helewise. The mystery and its solution seemed to jump from supposition to supposition. Still recommending.
Joan Elizabeth Greenop
Excellent read

Couldn't wait to get settled down and read what happened next. So we'll written you feel your there with them.
Mary Beth
Aug 04, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book focuses on the early years of Helewise. Great story. Looking forward to next one.
Spuddie
Sep 25, 2007 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
#8 Hawkenlye Abbey mystery set in 1190's Kent, England featuring Abbess Helewise and Sir Josse d'Acquin, knight of King Richard. The whole country of England seems to be poor and hungry as people give and give to attempt to ransom their captured King Richard. Even staunch supporters such as Sir Josse and the Abbess are much less enthusiastic than they once were, especially the Abbess as her giving and giving makes it harder to feed and help those who are hungry and in need.

Abbess Helewise gets
Sue
Dec 27, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: england, medieval, mystery
Abbess Helewise’s son Leofgar along with his wife Rohaise and son Timus show up at Hawkenlye seeking shelter. Timus is mute and Rohaise fears that Timus will be taken from her. The story unfolds that their priest suggested Timus was a changeling and was going to take him away until the spell could be broken. Josse visits the Abbey at about the same time and he succeeds in getting Timus to laugh. Bit by bit the rest of the story of their being there comes out, but just as it seems they’re all rec ...more
Ksenija
Jun 18, 2013 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: cozy-mystery
A very weak plot stretched out beyond limits. I guessed the culprit around page 80. On the other side, story telling is quite vivid and that is the only reason why I reached the end of the book. I found it hard to get accustomed to the overly artificial language and florid expressions of the simplest things. This however, improves where the story gets more intense. However, if you are curious about the medieval fiction suspense novels, I suggest to start with Elis Peters's adventures of brother ...more
Ruth
Aug 27, 2011 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: crime-historical
c2005. Another enjoyable read from Ms Clare. Especially after a run of some either intense or intensively awful books. A beginning, a middle and an end! Phew - at least there are some authors that still do this. This book manages to add yet another dimension to Abbess Helewise and her relationship with Josse. I would not describe this as the most fiendish plot ever - despite the blurb on the back focussing on the flesh eating pigs! "And, with the removal of the dark lens imposed by the long burd ...more
Carole Moran
Jul 20, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
Interesting, but not gripping, at least to me. From the Hawkenlye Mysteries, this book focuses more on Abbess Helewise's life before coming to the nunnery and less on the mystery, which is somewhat predictable. In spite of that, the Hawkenlye series is very readable. This one takes place in England in 1193.
William
Jun 06, 2014 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I loved the first seven Hawkenlye books, but I could barely finish this one. It took half the book before I even started to care about what was going to happen and even then, it never really grabbd me like the previous books.
Karen
Feb 08, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
An absolutely wonderful book in a rather unfortunately inconsistent series. Well written with marvelous characters and a compelling mystery set in both the time of Abbess Helewise's youth and marriage before she comes to Hawkenlye and the current day, blending both seamlessly.
Ma'lis Wendt
Feb 08, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The more Hawkenlye mysteries I read, the better I like the series.
Alissa McCarthy
This was a new spin on the series. Further insight into the Abbess' life prior to entering the abbey. A lovely, easy read.
This book was kindly sent by Gundula. Even if I'm not reading this series in any particular order, I'm enjoying quite a lot the stories with Abbess Helewise.
Jeannen
Feb 25, 2008 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
7th or 8th in the series that I discovered summer of 2006. There have been a couple in the series that I couldn’t get into, but this one has a good tight story.
Marg Corjay
Feb 14, 2019
Kathy
May 08, 2009
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »

• Death of a Squire (Templar Knight Mystery #2)
  • The Sticklepath Strangler (Knights Templar, #12)
  • The Murderer's Tale (Sister Frevisse, #6)
  • A Vigil of Spies (Owen Archer, #10)
Alys Clare is the pen name used by Elizabeth Harris for the Hawkenlye series of historical mysteries.

Alys Clare is the pseudonym of a novelist with some 20 published works to her name. Brought up in the countryside close to where the Hawkenlye Novels are set, she went to school in Tonbridge and later studied archaeology at the University of Kent. She lives for part of the year in Brittany, in a re

Hawkenlye Mysteries (1 - 10 of 17 books)
  • Fortune Like the Moon (Hawkenlye Mysteries, #1)
  • Ashes of the Elements (Hawkenlye Mysteries, #2)
  • The Tavern in the Morning (Hawkenlye Mysteries, #3)
  • The Chatter of the Maidens (Hawkenlye Mysteries, #4)
  • The Faithful Dead (Hawkenlye Mysteries, #5)
  • A Dark Night Hidden (Hawkenlye Mysteries, #6)
  • Whiter Than the Lily (Hawkenlye Mysteries, #7)
  • Heart of Ice (Hawkenlye Mysteries, #9)
  • The Enchanter's Forest (Hawkenlye Mysteries, #10)
  • The Paths of the Air (Hawkenlye Mysteries, #11)