Start by marking “Patient Frame” as Want to Read:
Patient Frame

Patient Frame

Governor General's Literary Award finalist and bestselling author Steven Heighton's considerable dramatic lyric powers reach a new sophistication and intensity in his astonishing collection Patient Frame. From the court of Medici to the My Lai massacre; from love for a daughter and mother, through nightmare and displacement, to moments of painful acceptance; from erotic pa ...more
Published April 10th 2010 by House of Anansi Press (first published 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Patient Frame, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Patient Frame

Angie Abdou
Mar 26, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Over-achiever that Steven Heighton is, he simultaneously released a brand new novel and a brand new poetry collection. My most recent pleasure is the poetry collection: Patient Frame (House of Anansi 2010).

Heighton’s work is noted for its ambitious range. Living up to Heighton’s reputation, Patient Frame delves into remarkably diverse topics. He quotes Elizabeth Taylor, Dave Bidini, Robert Kroetsch, the Saxon Chronicles, and Martin Amis (find a pattern there, I dare you). He explores the My Lai
James Murphy
Oct 29, 2010 rated it it was ok
I'd seen Heighton read. I liked what I heard and hurried to buy the book he was reading from. Now, having read it, I'm susrprised at the lack of vibrancy in the poetry. I want to say quick, the poems have no quick. Good poems have a fuse sputtering through, twisted together by thought and emotion and rhyme and meter. Energy. I don't find it in Heighton's poems. The best things in the book are the 14 translations at the end. Unmoved until I came to them, now I wonder if it was the translations he ...more
mwpm
Feb 04, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: poetry
Years later, sober, or from inside the snub barrel
of a shot glass, you spoke about it softly,
not reticent but baffled, still: how Calley

and his men appeared below you, butchering
the villagers, and down you banked your recon
chopped to light between him and the enemy

women, toddlers, crones. Ordered your door-gunners
to fire on any comrades who'd resume that riot
of infanticide, mob rape - and then, from a midden

of twitching limbs, your crew pried free a gore-smeared child
and bore him beyond harm, as
Meaghan Wray
May 30, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Amazing Canadian poet.
Jessica Bebenek
Oct 22, 2012 rated it it was ok
Shelves: poetry
Sadly, I was really disappointed by this collection.
I'd read a few individual poems by Heighten a couple of years ago and loved them, but a whole book of them somehow doesn't work for me. These poems just lack energy. They begin to feel monotonous after just a few and, while they have emotional depth, I often found the conveyance or even the sentiment to be tired.
I want to want to give Heighten another chance, but I don't know if I will be.
Jenn
Jan 21, 2012 rated it liked it
It is hard for me to rate someone's poetry; it feels like more of a personal insult if I say anything except supportive, positive statements. That being said, I've never had much of a filter. The poems in this collection are uneven, meaning that some are blow-you-away-and/or-draw-you-in fabulously amazing and some are full of cliches, or simply meandering.

I adore "Herself, Revised," "Some Other Just Ones," and "Ballad of the Slow Road".
Angela
Oct 04, 2010 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2010, canadian, poetry
A solid collection of poetry. I have to confess that I liked "The Address Book" better - although I don't think it's the poetry's fault. Heighton's other collection just resonated with me more for some reason.
Gillian
Katherine
Jun 28, 2018
Rodis
Dec 01, 2018
Steven Heighton (born August 14, 1961) is a Canadian novelist, short story writer and poet. He is the author of ten books, including two short story collections, three novels, and five poetry collections.[1] His most recent novel, Every Lost Country, was published in 2010.

Heighton was born in Toronto, Ontario, and earned a Bachelor of Arts and Master of Arts degree, at Queens University.[2]

Heighto