Start by marking “Her Gates Will Never Be Shut: Hell, Hope, and the New Jerusalem” as Want to Read:
Her Gates Will Never Be Shut: Hell, Hope, and the New Jerusalem

Her Gates Will Never Be Shut: Hell, Hope, and the New Jerusalem

4.33  ·  Rating details ·  115 Ratings  ·  18 Reviews
Description: Everlasting hell and divine judgment, a lake of fire and brimstone--these mainstays of evangelical tradition have come under fire once again in recent decades. Would the God of love revealed by Jesus really consign the vast majority of humankind to a destiny of eternal, conscious torment? Is divine mercy bound by the demands of justice? How can anyone presume ...more
Published January 1st 2010 by Wipf & Stock Publishers (first published November 30th 2005)

To ask other readers questions about Her Gates Will Never Be Shut, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Her Gates Will Never Be Shut

Geoff Glenister
Aug 27, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
Hell was one of the first subjects I deconstructed when I went through my long questioning and deconstruction phase (which, incidentally, turned me into a book addict). It's a subject I became utterly fascinated with and ended up writing my first blog series on. So it's a subject I've done a lot of research on before I ever read this book by Brad Jersak.

So I didn't expect it to blow my socks off. But it did. Jersak is just so incredibly thorough here - I was floored by how deep he goes in his ex
Raborn
Jul 04, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Brad is a friend and boy, oh boy, does he take you in-depth with this book. This is the most thorough treatment I know of the history of the Bible's use of the word Gehenna. This book really challenges the traditional understanding of the final state of "the damned".
Ross H
Aug 19, 2016 rated it really liked it
Jersak does a very good job of presenting all the material, and reaches for tortured interpretations far less than a lot of other writers in this camp - he even provides some good correctives against common historical misconceptions frequently repeated among the universalist blogosphere (Gehenna was a garbage dump; universal reconciliation was a majority opinion among early church fathers).

I think he goes a little astray in that he's not quite as above his biases as he tries to be; although he a
Randy Baxter
Jul 08, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Best book on the subject of hell I have ever read.
Tristan Sherwin
Sep 30, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I’m starting to think that Brad Jersak might be one of my favourite theologians. The way in which he takes on important, but not easy, topics and presents them in a clear and concise way speaks volumes of the time he has taken to earnestly grapple with them.

And this book is no exception; as Brad takes on Hell. Or more specifically, the Bible’s language/imagery of Sheol, Hades, Gehenna, and the Lake of Fire. Helping us to think carefully about what these images conveyed in their own historical co
Tony Tate
Oct 11, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Informative

This book offers options for hope instead of Destruction. I for one have done a complete 180 in the way I believe. I have gone from fearing the possibility of hell to understanding God's love for me, and living life fearlessly (more so now than in the past). It is in great part because of books like this one.

Bradley Jersak it's becoming one of my favorite writers. In his book, a more christ-like God, you will find even more revelation of who God really is, versus what we generally por
Andrew Marr
Bradley Jersak has given us an insightful study on the destiny of humans after death. For the most part, he examines scriptural categories associated with heaven and hell to glean their most likely meanings, and this is the most helpful part of the book. His overviews theological positions in the church from the Church Fathers to contemporary evangelicals does not give much depth but it does make sure the reader is at least basically informed on the major strands of thought.
He discusses briefly
Tom
Oct 29, 2013 rated it really liked it
I enjoyed this book for many of the reasons others haven't liked it, namely that Jersak wouldn't commit to what opinion he thought was right of the three he presented. The short essay that followed, and succinctly summarized the entire book, did take it that further step & seemed more instructive as a result. Favourite quote, "I'm learning that when the biblical writers talk about hell, they are really addressing the self-destructive tendencies from which we already suffer. The good news is ...more
Kevin
Aug 14, 2015 rated it liked it
Some interesting content and does an admirable job of insisting that scripture speaks in many voices on these issues and perfect systematic doctrinal system on final judgement, etc. is basically impossible. He leans very much in the post-mortem options direction however and clearly rejects the eternal conscious punishment hardline. Also brings a sort of mystical approach to the topic. As I said, interesting and engaging at times.

For whatever reason, however, I found his style and structure reall
Eva  Winter
Oct 12, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Wow!

A book that is so shock full of information that my mind threatened to overload at times. Yet my heart feels much more settled after reading it. One of the possibilities he presented particularly resonated with me because it is compatible with the loving Father I have come to know and worship through Jesus.
Clayton Stangeland
Dec 20, 2014 rated it really liked it
This book examines a lot of scriptures referring to hell. I liked how much Bible it used and how conclusions are left up to the reader. It just presented the Biblical use of the words we translate as hell in great detail. Very useful for gathering them all together in one place and expanding on them using other verses and writings.
Jeff Bjorgan
Oct 03, 2013 rated it liked it
Probably the most thorough book on hell, with plenty of footnotes showing Jersak's scholarly approach, that I have read. A good, compelling exegete that breaks down current pop-theology and makes you think. I wish the footnotes would have all been sent to the back of the book in order to make the book a smoother read.
Ryan
Oct 13, 2013 rated it liked it
Jersak lays out a compelling case to reclaim the hope for ultimate reconciliation. Relying heavily on scripture, as well as the tradition of the church going back to the first century, Jersak carefully shows that the view of eternal, conscious torment in a fiery hell is probably wrong, and places a much more hopeful, humble view in its place.
Graham
Sep 24, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Please note that in rating this 5 stars I am not saying I agree with Jersak (I don't). I am simply saying he has presented a very compelling, well crafted argument which is both gracious and well researched. So no matter what your position, you do need to wrestle with this. Full review coming soon.
Matt Stenson
Jan 24, 2016 rated it really liked it
Recommended to Matt by: Adam
A great book if you are deeply interested in the topic of Hell and Final Judgement. It's not a light read. I found it an excellent, more academic followup to Rob Bell's Love Wins. Brad's attention to detail and intellectual honesty are excellent.
Vanessa
Feb 05, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Best and most unbiased book I've read on this issue to date
Dave Pettengill
Mar 20, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This book is very intriguing and very well done.
Jason Schweinberg
Nov 21, 2015
Vasile Jurca
rated it did not like it
Dec 21, 2014

$7.99 $1.99
    $27.99 $2.99
  • Waiter Rant: Thanks for the Tip-Confessions of a Cynical Waiter
    $8.74 $1.99
  • Dakota: A Spiritual Geography (Dakotas)
    $13.99 $1.99
    $10.74 $1.99
  • The Beauty Myth: How Images of Beauty Are Used Against Women
    $14.99 $2.99
    $18.99 $1.99
  • The God Particle: If the Universe Is the Answer, What Is the Question?
  • The Wright Brothers
    $9.49 $1.99
  • Edgar Allan Poe: The Fever Called Living
  • The Road to Jonestown: Jim Jones and Peoples Temple
    $12.99 $2.99
“God is not angry with you and never has been. He loves you with an everlasting love. Salvation is not a question of “turn or burn.” We’re burning already, but we don’t have to be! Redemption! The life and death of Christ showed us how far God would go to extend forgiveness and invitation. His resurrection marked the death of death and the evacuation of Hades. My hope is in Christ, who rightfully earned his judgment seat and whose verdict is restorative justice, that is to say, mercy. Hope. That is my bias, and I believe that Scripture, tradition, and experience confirm it. I” 4 likes
“[I]f my faith depends on fear of punishment, what will happen to my faith when perfect love (Jesus) comes to cast it out? (1 John 4: 18) If God thinks that fear of punishment is something to be “cast out” like a demon, then our Gospel and our preaching better not rest on that foundation! Fear-based faith (a paradox) is the ultimate deception. We need to examine closely whether the devil has been hiding in plain sight - squatting within the very message that we’ve preached. Parasite and deceiver that he is, he found the ultimate host to help disseminate his terror campaign - the Church! If our faith message begins in fear, as it did for many evangelicals like me, it’s in trouble. I am reminded of Jesus’ warning, “Woe to you, teachers of the law and Pharisees, you hypocrites! You travel over land and sea to win a single convert, and when he becomes one, you make him twice as much a son of hell as you are” (Matt 23:15). The negation of negation. Does preaching on hell produce converts? Oh yes! But if in the process it also saddles someone with fear of punishment, then it has simultaneously reproduced a “son of hell.” 4 likes