Start by marking “Crazy in Love” as Want to Read:
Crazy in Love

Crazy in Love

High school senior Mary Jane Ettermeyer has been struggling to be the good girl for a long time, and so far, she's been able to keep her pledge of abstinence. But when the cutest guy in school starts flirting with her, she suddenly finds herself crazy in love, even though a) Jackson House can't possibly think she's cute, so this must be a joke and b) she's vowed to keep ...more
Published January 18th 2007 by Dutton Juvenile

To ask other readers questions about Crazy in Love, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Crazy in Love

Start your review of Crazy in Love
Mokamonkey
Sep 07, 2007 rated it did not like it
Recommends it for: Mothers looking to ram abstinence down their daughters' throats
Shelves: teen-books
I learned a lot of things from this book, like:

- He wont buy the cow, if he can get the milk for free (yes they actually said this 5-10 times in the book).

- Popular boys do always want sex.

- Nice girls who have sex regret it.

- The other girls are whores.

Honestly, I thought the book might be ok when I started it, but it went downhill fast. The supporting characters were all so one-dimensional and cliche. And the way the characters act and talk is so unbelievable it's annoying. I would have
Adele
Apr 04, 2009 added it
This book is all about the two voices you have in your head; the conservative one and the party girl. I felt like this book had a bit of a split personality as well. It could have been good if it had disregarded the stupid premise and stuck to the story. The protagonist has conversations with her good and bad side continuously and I found myself immediately skipping over them right from the beginning.

This is a girl who has a mad crush on one her friend, Star's boyfriend and upon picking up pop
Travsssss!!!
Mar 11, 2009 rated it it was ok
This book has a cute topic: Mary Jane has two voices in her head: a good girl and a, well, not-so-good girl. These voices advise her about her relationship with Jackson, the boy she's fallen for, who is also dating Star, the popular, mean girl at school. The problem is, like the voices, the book is split in two with Mary Jane dealing with rumors Star is spreading about her and trying to decide whether to have sex with Jackson. There is a good message here about learning to listen to yourself. ...more
Spencer
Feb 15, 2019 rated it it was ok
I think this book set out with good intentions.

But I think that it was also a bit short sighted

And I really need to start reading the synopsis of the book before I start it because I had no idea what this book was about (although sometimes I prefer that because then I don't have any preconceived notions about it and am usually not disappointed. However, I was disappointed in this one).

This book is about sex.

Or should I say "not having sex." Because the only people who have sex are whores (cue:
Belissa Etienne
Feb 01, 2013 rated it really liked it
Crazy in love is a book about love. The title of the book basically explained its self. Mary-Jane Ettemyer is a senior in high school and loves a guy named Jackson House. Buy there us a slight problem because Jackson is dating Star, one of Mary-Jane's friends. But Jackson also has deep feelings for her as well. So at the end of the story Jackson breaks up with Star and starts to date the one who he actually belongs with, Mary-Jane.
I thought this story was quite interesting. I enjoyed each
Airaology
Apr 12, 2011 rated it it was ok
Not a big fan of the whole guy falling for another girl while he has his own girl thing, but probably because i read this around a time bad things happen around me. I'll admit I enjoy looking at the cover and the ending satisfied me
Caroline
Sep 23, 2009 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Girls
During my 'romance book' phase. It was okay.
Shaylynne
Dec 06, 2017 rated it it was amazing
My book was about this girl and her name is Maryjane(MJ). It was senior year in high school and she didn't know what to think about this guy that she has liked since she was little. His name is Jackson House. He is the hottest guy in the whole entire school. She's been able to be good and keep her pledge.
After one night of him and her hanging out with a group of friends she got back to school and everybody was saying that she and Jackson were doing stuff. After that day that's where everything
TuShawn F
Nov 15, 2019 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: people who enjoy romance.
Recommended to TuShawn by: people enjoy romance.
I read Crazy in Love by Dandi Daley Mackall. During this book, Jane being falling for the bad boy and school and she been a good, star student for so long. He starts flirting with her. Though she is trying to contain herself because he has a girlfriend. But Jane has "two voices" in her head. Shy jane and bold out there Jane. Though does this stop, Jane. Read Crazy in love to find out?
Chris
Jul 25, 2017 rated it it was amazing
It's a great book. I can relate to Mary Jane
Hila
Dec 28, 2014 rated it liked it
Mary Jane (aka Plain Jane... aka MJ) is a senior in high school. And she has a massive crush on Jackson House. But Jackson has a girlfriend, even though he HAS been flirting with Mary Jane. And his girlfriend just happens to be in Mary Jane's group of friends. So when rumors start flying about Mary Jane and Jackson... Well, things turn ugly. Her friends can't believe Mary Jane would betray a friend like that. But the truth is: nothing has happened! No matter, rumors fly fast. And soon Mary ...more
Delray Beach Public Library
Jul 09, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2012-2016-teens
Mary Jane Ettemeyer is a well behaved High School Senior dealing with gossip, figuring out who to trust, and maintaining a relationship with the hottest guy in school, even if he has just broken up with her ex-friend, Star.

Mary Jane made a pact with her two friends to keep their pledge of abstinence until marriage. However, she comes across temptation when she goes overly crazy in love with Jackson House and finds out that her best friend (NAME?) has broken the pact. Now Mary Jane’s confidence
Books and Literature for Teens
I loved MacKall’s Love Rules and because it was sush an awesome little love story, I decided to pick up another one of her books. Crazy in Love however was not anything like the other book and was very...shallow. It mainly consisted of a fluffy main character, who despite having somewhat decent intensions, went completely crazy! Well I guess that’s the whole point of the story but it could have had more depth to it instead of a “flingy” romance–if you could even call it that. M.J.’s ...more
Sue Wargo
Dec 21, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: young-adult
This is the story of Mary Jane AKA MJ who has a voice inside her who she calls Plain Jane. It's sort of a devil and angel on your shoulder type of plot as MJ lives a typical teenage life. Until the popular girl's boyfriend decides to stray in MJ's direction and all of a sudden MJ's phone number is posted on the boy's lav as the girl most likely to give a "good time." This is a typical book of teen angst, wanting to be pretty, popular, and happy. When the wanted boyfriend decides to date MJ and ...more
Kiirsi Hellewell
Oct 10, 2009 rated it really liked it
Shelves: young-adult
This is the first book I've read from this prolific author and I really enjoyed it. She captured what it is to be a teenager really, really well...the problems, the joys, the heartbreak, the worries. I love how she addressed the question of sexual abstinence before marriage and really made it relevant and current without being preachy.

Some of my favorite parts of the book were the depictions of the main character's (Mary Jane) mentally handicapped sister and her Special Olympics basbetball
Jennifer Wardrip
Reviewed by Jennifer Rummel for TeensReadToo.com

Can four minutes really change your life?

When Mary Jane leaves a party for four minutes with a boy to grab more soda, rumors start flying out of control. The boy in question is the school hottie, and boyfriend to Star, a very popular girl, not to mention Mary Jane's friend. She can't believe that people are talking about her and acting as though something major happened during that short time.

Now Star's bent on revenge and boys are phoning Mary
Danielle
Jun 16, 2013 rated it liked it
This was cute. I read the whole thing at the pool yesterday, so it's definitely an easy read. I'll admit that I was really into it (I was frustrated, happy, and sad when I was supposed to be), but the plot seemed slightly frivolous to me. Granted, I never had/have boy problems, but I suppose that's the reason I liked this book so much; I feel like it provided really good insight into a normal high school girl's head. I'm glad I bought this book just in case I need a light read for a rainy day or ...more
Teresa
Feb 25, 2012 rated it liked it
I liked this book a lot, but I feel no need to make my rating any higher than 3 stars. It was a very good book, though. It was humorous, sweet, and real. I recommend this book for pre-teens and teenagers who are going through the first stages of growing up and falling in love. Crazy In Love portrayed first love well, and there is not a thing I would change about this great book. So, if you're looking for a light, fuzzy read that deals with teen messages about young love and following your heart, ...more
Jitty
Jan 06, 2017 rated it liked it
This book was really cute! The first person point of view of the main character is absolutely HILARIOUS! Like...seriously amazing!

Spoilers below...

The only thing I didn't like was how Jackson turned out to be a donkeybutt at the end of the book. I wanted him to be the Jackson I thought he was going to be. total bummer...BUT I see why the author wrote it that way. It teaches women a good lesson. :)

~J
danielle.
Everyone has two voices in their head. In this story the girl has a good voice and a bad(ish) voice. She picks one over the other and goes with what they tell her to do. The girl, Mary Jane, has a crush: the most popular boy in the school. She is wondering if it is a prank or if it's real. Read the book to find out.
Heather
Feb 07, 2008 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: friendship, high school, cliques, abstinence, peer pressure
Shelves: teenfiction
A quick read high-school romance. Mary Jane is accused of trying to steal her friend's boyfrien (on whom she does have a crush). The accusations crush the delicate social structure of the friends clique and Mary Jane's reputation takes a hit. None of that seems to matter though, when the boy in question begins to court Mary Jane.
Amber8e
Mar 12, 2008 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Girls who may find theirselves with two opinions but do not know wahts right or wrong.
The book Crazy in Love is about a girl who mostly depends on her consciences. One of her consciences are very judge mental and gives MaryJane Ettymer a negative self concept. The conscience makes it seem like shes always doing something wrong. Her other conscience is a good girl and more practical and mature.
Taylor Mingus
Mar 10, 2014 rated it liked it
I like this book. I like that it has the two personalities which really shows the internal conflict. It did take me awhile to get into it but once I did I finished it quickly. I will say I HATE the slang used in this book "holler" drives me slightly crazy as well as "rents" instead of parents. Other than that it was decent and a quick read.
Arely
Jun 14, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I absolutely LOVE this book. I read it when I was thirteen and then when I was fourteen (both from the library). Then I couldn't find it anywhere so naturally, I panicked. But I was able to find it and read it again. I am now seventeen and still think it is a fantastic book. The book perfectly captures teenage worries about love and sex. Mackall outdid herself with this one.
Erin
Sep 02, 2009 rated it it was ok
This book was distracting because the main character had multiple personalities that talked to her all of the time. Another fault I find with this author is that her books are written about one age but seem to be on a lower reading level...for example, this book was about a high school senior, but seemed written for a 12 or 13 year old.
Bethany Sapp
Oct 02, 2011 rated it liked it
This was an okay book.This book was about this girl named Mary Jane and how she heard these crazy voices in her head.Mary Jane also had a crush on her friend Star's boyfriend Jackson House.Therefore in the end Jackson does break up with Star in order to go out with Mary Jane.
Amber
Jun 01, 2009 rated it really liked it
i think that thiss book is a good of ex that come up between many teenagers especialy when they have boyfriends. going out with a friends ex boyfriend is a big no no to many gurls but in the story she takes a risk for love :}
Kylie
Nov 25, 2012 rated it it was ok
While it was a quick an easy read, it was not the best book I've read. Too much drama, not enough plot. The book wasn't altogether terrible, but you would not catch me recommending it to a friend or family member.
Stephanie
Jun 17, 2012 rated it really liked it
This book was incredibly entertaining. I loved the writing style as it kept me wanting more. There were however a couple of slumps during the story that made me think the book should have gone in another direction. I didn't liked the way it ended but I would recommend it anyway.
Heidi
Mar 12, 2011 rated it liked it
This was a good book. I like the realness of the situations that Mackall places her teens in. The pressures of peers and sex without being graphic. It also shows that you can choose to NOT have sex. Not as good as "My Boyfriends' Dogs" by Mackall, but a good, quick read.

• We Can Work It Out (The Lonely Hearts Club, #2)
  • The Earth, My Butt, and Other Big Round Things (Virginia Shreves #1)
  • Love, Life, and the List
  • The Distance Between Us
  • Fame, Fate, and the First Kiss
  • 96 Words for Love
  • Kiss Me Again (If We Kiss, #2)
  • The Freedom Writers Diary
  • Vegan, Virgin, Valentine (V Valentine, #1)
  • Playing With the Boys (Pretty Tough, #2)
  • The Darlings in Love (The Darlings are Forever, #2)
  • Second Chance Summer
  • Head Games (Pretty Tough, #3)
  • The Year of Living Awkwardly: Sophomore Year (Chloe Snow's Diary, #2)
  • Listen to Your Heart
  • Virtually Yours
  • The Last Summer of the Garrett Girls
  • Baby Daddy
A professional writer for over 20 years, Dandi Daley Mackall has written dozens of articles for popular magazines and published around 500 books for children and adults alike, with sales of over 4 million.

A frequent guest on radio and television talk shows, she lives in rural Ohio with her husband, three children, horses, dogs, & cats. Awards include the Edgar Award for Best YA Mystery, the