Start by marking “Love, Greg & Lauren” as Want to Read:
Love, Greg & Lauren

Love, Greg & Lauren

3.89  ·  Rating details ·  441 Ratings  ·  44 Reviews
Early on the morning of September 11, 2001, Lauren Manning-a wife, the mother of a ten-month-old son, and a senior vice president and partner at Cantor Fitzgerald-came to work, as always, at One World Trade Center. As she stepped into the lobby, a fireball exploded from the elevator shaft, and in that split second her life was changed forever.

Lauren was burned over 82.5 p
Published August 13th 2002 by Bantam (first published 2002)

To ask other readers questions about Love, Greg & Lauren, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Love, Greg & Lauren

The Lover by Marguerite DurasI Love You Through and Through by Bernadette Rossetti-ShustakAll My Love, Detrick by Roberta KaganBecoming Attached by Robert KarenLove Life by Rob Lowe
Love - Title
140 books — 4 voters
The Simple Faith of Mister Rogers by Amy HollingsworthHope Meadows by Wes SmithThe Anatomy of Hope by Jerome GroopmanWon by Love by Norma McCorveyHope Was Here by Joan Bauer
Seven Virtues
108 books — 4 voters

More lists with this book...

Eva Leger
I wish so much that I could rate this like most - maybe all from what I've seen at a glance - of the others here. I really, really expected to "like" this book. I'm interested in everything 9/11 related. But I was bored. I feel awful saying that but the fact of the matter is that I don't know Lauren. I don't know Greg.
Lauren was in a burn unit and basically each entry consisted of one of the following sentences:
Lauren's breathing on her own more.
Lauren's signs are better.
Lauren had a fever but i
Kristin
Feb 19, 2012 rated it it was amazing
There is an interesting coincidence in that I finished this book and chose to begin writing this review as the radio station I had on in the background was playing Alan Jackson's 'Where Were You When The World Stopped Turning?", the song most closely linked to the September 11th attacks.
For Lauren Manning, the answer to Alan's question was, 'living the disaster', having just walked into Tower 1 as the giant fireball that resulted from the first plane strike exploded down the elevator shaft, forc
Tara
Jun 18, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Everyone!
What a beautiful story about a woman's determination to live for her husband, her son and herelf; and of a husband's determination to see his wife through the toughest tribulation to may (God-willing) ever face. I cried at every obstacle Lauren faced and was overjoyed when she overcame one. Every step in her long journey of recovery is detailed by her loving husband in emails to family and friends. I learned a lot about what was happening at the time of 9/11 for the families of survivors, someth ...more
Juliegsorensen
May 26, 2010 rated it really liked it
While much as been written about the events of September 11, this was the first book I read which was a very personal account of the aftermath from the spouse of a survivor and a survivor. Few people were injured after the planes hit the Twin Towers; the either died or survived without much physical damage. Lauren Manning was quite seriously injured. This is her husband, Greg's account of Lauren's stay at the hospital and the events in New York in the months after September 11. Through Greg's em ...more
Carrie Aulenbacher
A truly amazing story of human triumph in the face of such a horrible tragedy as 9/11.
I loved reading right from his emails. They gave you such a fresh impression of what was happening daily - there is no chance for the plot to get bogged down with pages of dialog. I would've liked to have been able to keep reading about her progress in rehab. This also reminded me of my own time being injured and recovering, which happened to be happening DURING 9/11. I was not burned, but I know that frustrati
Marilyn
Feb 07, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This is one of the most amazing books I have ever read about 9/11. It gives the true story of a man and his wife who lived through the terror of 9/11. She was burned over 82% of her body. He details events in daily e-mails he sends to friends and family. What a story of strength and courage! It also gives a better understanding of how things really were after the tragedy. His unwavering support was a thing to behold.
Sasha
Aug 22, 2011 rated it really liked it
This was an interesting book - composed of emails to family and friends about the recovery of one who suffered serious burns after 9/11. It only covered the 3 months following the attack, so I couldn't help but be curious what was happening in Lauren Manning's life 10 years later. It's amazing to see how well she is doing and how many people consider her an inspiration. She simply did what she had to and went through rehab to become as fully functional as possible after an accident. I believe sh ...more
Scolumbus
Nov 23, 2011 rated it really liked it
After reading Unmeasured Strength about Lauren Manning's survival following severe burns received on 9/11 in the World Trade center, I wanted to read Love, Greg and Lauren by her husband, greg Manning. Her book covers the 10 years following 9/11 and the early months were less clearly recalled by her due to the severity of her injuries. Greg's day-by-day account via emails he sent to family and friends covers those initial days and months as she fought to get "out of the woods". It shows the pati ...more
Ann
Mar 19, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I read this book during one of the anniversaries of 9/11.

This book is about Lauren Manning (an employee of Cantor Fitzgerald) who worked in One World Trade Center on September 11, 2001. She was just about to enter the elevator when the jet-fueled fireball came down the shaft and (literally) blew her out the doors of the building and burned over 80 percent of her body and after arriving at the hospital was given just a one percent chance of surviving. She had also given birth just ten months prio
Hila
Aug 11, 2011 rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2013
It took me too long to read it, and I kept remind myself that it based on a true story, which we can never forget. But, and there is a big but, its a tough story, and if it was a story about someone in my family I would be more than happy to hear every detail, but since I couldn't connect to it, it took me too long to read it, I didn't have the urge to take the book and continue reading. I found myself too many times thinking until when?!.
its very important to read those kind of stories, but the
Tammy
Jul 11, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: biographies
This was a great book. It is a collection of emails written by Greg after his wife was burned in the 911 attacks at the World Trade Center. 82.5% of Lauren's body was burned and she wasn't expected to survive but she did. This book shares the ups and downs of Lauren's long recovery in the hospital and ends on a very hopeful note, even though it makes it clear to the reader that Lauren's recovery and rehabilitation will continue for years to come. It is a heartfelt, emotional book. I didn't want ...more
Lauren
Mar 03, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I was pleasantly surprised at the depth of detail, facts and emotion that was presented in each page and each email. The true story of a husbands' words as he updates family and friends every day as his wife fights for life in a Critical Burn Unit as a result of 9/11 attacks. The themes are evident, the emotion is strong and the strength is inspiring.Only downfall, is that it sometimes gets repetitive or focuses on details that don't matter. All in all, great book!
Stephanie Seymore
Jun 21, 2013 rated it it was ok
I guess I would give it 2 1/2 stars if that was possible. It was just soooo detailed and the details were of mundane things. I thought the story itself was inspiring. As someone who experienced over a year of caring for someone terminally ill I could relate to a lot of his experiences. But there was just so much that was unnecessary to share and I found myself skimming.
Wendy
Sep 26, 2011 rated it really liked it
A moving story about a woman who was injured on 9/11. It is a compilation of the emails her husband sent to friends and family to keep them updated on her progress. An interesting fact that I may have heard before but didn't remember: there were very few injured in the attacks. Most of the people either walked away or were killed.
Elizabeth
Apr 15, 2009 rated it it was amazing
This was a wonderful book. Letters from a husband that were posted on a website forum about his wife recovering from the 9/11 attacks. Very moving. I have to admit the only reason I picked it up was because it mentioned 9/11 but I am very glad I did. I didn't know anyone who was lost in the attacks so it was very refreshing to see that fighters made it through.
Audrey ❦❦❦
Oct 04, 2011 rated it liked it
I recently read Lauren Manning's memoir "Unmeasured Strength" which is about the exact same event, told ten years later. Her book was much more engrossing than this one, written by her husband as a series of emails in 2001. Since I already knew the process and the outcome, I found this version could not keep my interest.
Ashley Blanchette
Oct 27, 2007 rated it really liked it
I read this a year to the day after 9/11. It is the story of Lauren Manning who was severely burned at the World Trade Center that day. It is really a love letter from a husband to a wife. Greg Manning started out writing e-mails to family and friends to update the status of his wife's long recovery. Those e-mails ciruculated and eventually became this book.
Selina
Oct 04, 2008 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: any
An unbelievable story. September 11th altered everyone's lives, but in my home I was safe... This tells a story of one who was physically hurt by the attacks and the life changing experiences and trials after. I cannot imagine the pain this poor woman had to go through, and after reading two books about burn victims I am sure this would be the worst injury to incur.
Mamatufy
Jan 30, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 9-11, autobiography
A painful examination of the relationship and death of Lauren Manning who was killed in the collapse of the Twin Towers. Very sad and wonderful at the same time, this book describes the relationship the entire family had and how her death will forever impact their lives.
Angie
Nov 11, 2008 rated it it was amazing
I read this a few years ago, and reading a similarly styled book based on correspondence reminded me of it. This is an amazingly touching story. Beautifully written. Story intimately told. I cried and cheered and hoped and feared as I read this one.
Catherine
Oct 31, 2007 rated it liked it
Very touching story of the women burned by jet fuel when she entered the World Trade Center the morning of September 11th. She was burned over 80 percent of her body and lived to tell about it. It is hard to read in some parts but worth reading.
Erin
Apr 26, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I loved this book. I read it shortly after it was published, and i still think of this family. I often wish Greg would write another book, and tellus what has happened since she has healed. An incredible story of how she fought to live.
Vickie Richey
Nov 24, 2012 rated it liked it
Okay. A lot of daily minutia.
Carolyn
Mar 01, 2008 rated it liked it
A great story of triumph over evil.
Susan
Dec 20, 2014 rated it really liked it
I've read this more than once and am always amazed and impressed by this couple and their story
Barbara Cortegiano
Jan 11, 2015 rated it really liked it
An enticing re telling of a courageous journey. Real
Noreen
Nov 06, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Incredibly inspirational.
Kim
Jul 26, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was such an amazing book and I really admire her will to survive and her husbands ability to stand by her.
Marianne Jay
Jun 29, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was an excellent book and one of the first books I read about September 11.
  • Unmeasured Strength
  • Bringing Elizabeth Home: A Journey of Faith and Hope
  • So Many Partings
  • A Widow's Walk: A Memoir of 9/11
  • The Missing Girls: A Shocking True Story of Abduction and Murder
  • Mousejunkies!: Tips, Tales, and Tricks for a Disney World Fix: All You Need to Know for a Perfect Vacation
  • A Random Act: An Inspiring True Story of Fighting to Survive and Choosing to Forgive
  • Diana's Boys: William and Harry and the Mother They Loved
  • De dag dat ik doodging
  • Sharing Susan