Start by marking “Maps of Hell” as Want to Read:
Maps of Hell

Maps of Hell (Matt Wells #3)

I fell into the deepest of holes. I am no one.

I awake in a windowless room—naked, filthy, bruised, robbed of my every memory. I feel inexplicably drowned in a sea of hatred and rage. I…don't know who I am. But I know I must escape.

This is Matt Wells, hero of The Death List and The Soul Collector, as you've never seen him.

Crime writer Matt Wells could never have conjured a
Published April 20th 2010 by Mira

To ask other readers questions about Maps of Hell, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Maps of Hell

Darcia Helle
Apr 08, 2011 Darcia Helle rated it really liked it
I did not realize that this book was the third in a series and had not read the previous two. While Matt Wells, the main character, spends a large portion of the story trying to figure out who he is, I was just as confused as he was. This made for an engaging, if not somewhat strange, read.

The stuff I enjoyed: This book is nonstop action and suspense and kept me on edge most of the way. The characters are intriguing and made me want to keep reading to find out what happens to them. The plot unfo
Elizabeth A.
Sep 22, 2010 Elizabeth A. rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
In Maps of Hell, British crime writer Matt Wells initially has a bigger problem on his hands than nailing his enemies… he has to figure out who he is first.

The book opens with Matt regaining consciousness in a tiny cell, naked, beaten and unable to recall who he is or how he got there. He’s taken from his cell repeatedly for bizarre, Clockwork Orange-esque sessions aimed at conditioning his mind… but to what end? Matt doesn’t want to stick around long enough to find out.

Taking advantage of a lap
Victoria Norris-maclean
This was the first Paul Johnston book I have read, it is fine as a stand alone book but I wish I had read the earlier ones first. There were references to what had happened before and I would like to read them but I don't know if I want to back now I have read this one.
Elizabeth A.
May 14, 2010 Elizabeth A. rated it really liked it
If there was one thing I had learned in the U.S., it was the benefit of nailing your enemies before they nailed you. – Matt Wells

Pat Tat
Dec 03, 2016 Pat Tat rated it did not like it
i bought this as part of a 3 for £5 deal, i think this is the runt of the litter.
i liked the title (which has such a throwaway slim link to the story - even though it is a major plot point it seems a waste) and i liked the cover - simple, direct and just a little scary.
taking bits from the bourne movie franchise, chucking in some manchurian candidate style goings on the book opens with promise and goes downhill from there.

i hadn't realised that this is the third book in the series - enough deta
Leah
Aug 15, 2010 Leah rated it really liked it
Sue
Aug 30, 2016 Sue rated it did not like it
This was the final straw for me with this author and his hero. Having bought this with two others - Soul Collector and the Devil one - in an offer I felt obliged to persist to the end although I knew as soon as I started the first that I was going to regret the time given. Why, when the books are covered in reviews from reputable papers and other writers I enjoy like Val McDermid and Ian Rankin? Well, the dialogue is clunky and very much based on the 'tell not show' model which leads to a lot of ...more
Gem
Aug 22, 2011 Gem rated it did not like it
Where to start! This book was terrible! I read this on the train to a work conference in Manchester and picked so many faults and cliches from it that it was untrue.

There are so many typing errors in the book that it is almost impossible to see past them. The editors must have been asleep on the job when they read through it. Johnston's characters are mostly 2D and unlikeable and the main character seems to have a derogatory view of women (something that was so glaringly obvious that it was dif
Blakerrss!
Dec 08, 2011 Blakerrss! rated it it was amazing
Actually, I was not aware that this was the third book in a series. So, as Matt Wells was confused about who he was, I was right there with him. With this con, it was still a great read. If you've ever seen a movie, and pretty much just know whats going to happen next, then this read will blow you away. Like when Matt stumbles upon a small town by riding in the back of a log truck without being spotted for several hours, who would have guessed? The thought put into the book is very, very good. J ...more
Alex Dupre'
Sep 06, 2012 Alex Dupre' rated it it was amazing
This is my favorite book by far. It starts out so weird, yet appealing. I couldn't stop seeing the images that the book embedded into my mind. I personally found it very thrilling, and unpredictable. You can never really guess what a character will do. This book is not what it seems initially be, but that is how it stays interesting. The way the author lets you see through each characters' eyes let me see how each character thinks in his/her own way. The storyline is pretty original, and intrica ...more
Jade Herrera
Dec 04, 2012 Jade Herrera rated it liked it
I was a bit confused with how things were going. I actually thought that I must have skipped another sequel but as the story unfolds it gets better. However, there was something lacking in the story. The elements of blood thirst, suspense and mystery I found in The Death List and The Soul Collector was lacking in Maps of Hell.
Madaline
Aug 19, 2012 Madaline rated it it was ok
Started with the third book in this series. Average read. Those who follow the series will understand more of the intricate details. This did not make this a bad read for someone starting in the middle of te series.
James Kidd
May 01, 2011 James Kidd rated it liked it
Great start, and pretty enjoyable, but overall I lost interest the further I progressed. I liked the first person narrative, liked the premise, but there were annoying parts that didn't quite gel for me. It is a 3.5 stars book, but ggodreads does not allow half stars.
Ricardo
Sep 13, 2011 Ricardo rated it did not like it
Really, really bad. It was such a bad book that I won't even bother reading the follow up "The Nameless Dead."
Pauline
Jul 17, 2010 Pauline rated it really liked it
Good fast paced read even though a bit hard to believe.
David
May 13, 2016 David rated it really liked it
I am loving the Matt Wells series and am especially excited that Maps of Hell has taken a complete left turn to the previous two books.
David
Feb 05, 2011 David rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kindle
Just loved this one, a man against all the agencies and the bad men.
Peter Charleston
Jan 31, 2014 Peter Charleston rated it liked it
The story was a little confusing to me at first but then things started falling in place. A lot of action and suspense throughout the chapters. An enjoyable reading adventure.
Judy
Sep 03, 2010 Judy rated it it was amazing
A very cleverly written book. Lots of action, tension and excitement and at times a bit gruesome. Although slightly far-fetched it was a thoroughly good read!
Liesl
May 21, 2014 Liesl rated it liked it
Found it hard to get in to - a little ott, maybe? - but ended up enjoying it enough to order the next one in the series.
aaron reggans
aaron reggans rated it it was amazing
Aug 02, 2015
Krysta
Krysta rated it it was ok
Nov 08, 2013
Amber
Amber rated it liked it
Apr 22, 2012
Peggy
Peggy rated it it was amazing
Jun 21, 2015
Kaylie
Kaylie rated it really liked it
Oct 20, 2012
Lorraine Fox
Lorraine Fox rated it it was amazing
Nov 26, 2015
Kelly Mackay
Kelly Mackay rated it it was ok
Feb 11, 2013
Steve James
Steve James rated it really liked it
Apr 02, 2013
Mike Carlino
Mike Carlino rated it really liked it
Jul 16, 2017
Emma
Emma rated it really liked it
Apr 14, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
  • Trapped  (Randall Shane, #2)
  • Attack the Geek (Ree Reyes, #2.5)
  • Don't Say a Word
  • Fixer (The Ustari Cycle, #0.5)
  • No Excuses: A Memoir
  • Romeo Spikes
  • The Monsters In Your Neighborhood (Monstrosity, #2)
  • Reality Ends Here
  • Baby Needs a New Pair of Shoes
  • Coming Home (Sophie Anderson, #6)
  • The Reluctant Reaper  (The Reluctant Reaper, #1)
  • Reconstructing Brigid (Red Dress Ink Novels)
  • IMAGINES: Celebrity Encounters Starring You
  • The Hunt (Rachel Benjamin, #4)
  • SEAL Survival Guide: A Navy SEAL's Secrets to Surviving Any Disaster
  • Majix: Notes from a Serious Teen Witch
  • Damn Him to Hell (Saturn's Daughter, #2)
  • Closing In
Paul Johnston was born in Edinburgh, studied Greek at Oxford, and now divides his time between the UK and a small Greek island. His highly-acclaimed Quintilian Dalrymple series won the John Creasey Memorial Dagger for best first crime novel.

Series:
* Quint Dalrymple
* Alex Mavros
* Matt Wells
More about Paul Johnston...

Matt Wells (4 books)
  • The Death List
  • The Soul Collector
  • The Nameless Dead (Matt Wells)