Start by marking “The Secret Life of the Unborn Child: How You Can Prepare Your Baby for a Happy, Healthy Life” as Want to Read:

YOU CAN GIVE YOUR BABY A GREATER CHANCE FOR HEALTH AND HAPPINESS—MONTHS BEFORE BIRTH!

A pioneering physician, Dr. Thomas Verny, gives startling new evidence based on two decades of medical research.

Your unborn baby is:
• Capable of learning
• Able to warn you of medical problems you and your doctor may not be aware of
• Able to hear and respond to voices and sounds—inc
Published July 15th 1982 by Dell (first published July 1st 1981)

To ask other readers questions about The Secret Life of the Unborn Child, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Secret Life of the Unborn Child

Start your review of The Secret Life of the Unborn Child: How You Can Prepare Your Baby for a Happy, Healthy Life
Anıl
May 09, 2020 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Hamilelik sürecinde ve doğum sırasında annelerinin hislerinin ve yaşadıklarının çocuklar üzerinde ileri ki hayatlarında çok büyük etkisinin olduğu görüşünü, kişisel deneyimlerle aktarıyor. Doğum sürecini hatırlayan insanlara dair örnekleri de biraz abartılı buldum.

Bilimsel araştırmalar ve yaklaşımlar beni daha çok etkiliyor ve hoşuma gidiyor, sanırım bu nedenle bu kitap hoşuma gitmedi.
Jessica Woodbury
I absolutely loved some of the concepts the author talked about, such as the way that infants are already living, learning, and connecting with you from within the womb. The reason I didn't rate it more highly was just that there were other things that I thought a little extreme, such as some of the connections between birth and sexuality, and I was skeptical of some of the research or the ideas he took away from the research. But as I said, loved some of the main ideas and stories he talked abo ...more
Katharine
Fascinating description of scientific evidence for how much an unborn child is affected by stress, unhappiness, and other emotional experiences of the mother. I'm very intrigued by the emotional capabilities of very tiny babies - I think we too often ignore or underestimate the depth of their being in favor of treating them like dolls, or like an inconvenient extension of the mother's body. While it's pretty unmistakeable that the mother's stress does negatively affect the unborn baby, the autho ...more
Blanche_in_Lakeview
Nov 07, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Although this book was published in the 1980's, reading it revolutionized my perspective on pregnancy and the effects that a Mom can have on her unborn child. I had read hundreds of childbirth/preparation books ... but this one stood out as unique - both for the intelligent reader as well as the conscientious Mother. I can't count how many times I said in my head "WOW" as I read through this book. Truly amazing research. I was so impressed by this book that I bought many other books listed in th ...more
Julie Suzanne
This book reveals "startling new evidence" that your unborn baby is capable of learning, warning you of medical problems, hearing and responding to voices and sounds, etc.

I personally did not enjoy this book because it made me feel guilty during my pregnancy. The author's claims leave you believing that your unborn child knows everything that's going on in your life, feels every emotion that you do, etc. I'm probably exaggerating, but that's the effect it had on me.

I recommend this book if you'
Meggie
Nov 27, 2017 rated it liked it
While certainly dated in some of the research and information, I still found this book to be a fascinating look at what an unborn child experiences in utero and in the first year of life. Verney offers a great deal of his own opinion as well on obstetrics, childbirth practices and infant care. Some of his research and that of his contemporaries has certainly changed the face of medical care for pregnant women and their babies. In some ways I felt like I was reading a piece of history, sprinkled ...more
Amanda
Sep 30, 2008 rated it really liked it
Somewhat outdated as it was written in 1982..but very cutting-edge for it's time. An easy-to-read basic introduction to the power that every parent has over the healthy emotional development of their child, beginning in the earliest stages of conception. Great read for anyone considering parenthood.
Andee Marley
Mar 11, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I am not pregnant ! This book was on a reading list from someone I admire. She does energy work. Great book!
Neslihan Özevcimen Kıldır
Eski bilgilerle yazılmış(zaten yazıldığı & basıldığı yıldan bunu biliyoruz), çoğunlukla kesin bir dayanağı olmayan bir kaç örnek üzerinden genellemeler yapılarak anne karnındaki bebeğin etkilenebileceği durumlardan bahsedilmiş. Kitap yarım bırakmayı sevmediğim için tamamladım. Hamile olsun olmasın okunmasını tavsiye etmiyorum. Bana bir şey kattığını söyleyemem.
Evet zaten biliyoruz annenin duygu durumunun rahimdeki bebeği etkileyebileceğini. Dediğim gibi bunun ötesinde yeni bir şey katmadı bana.
Özgür Baltat
Bebeğin kişiliğinin bebeklik veya doğumdaki yaşadıklarıyla bir miktar ilişkili olması ve bu konuda farkındalık önemli elbette ama kitapta belirtildiği kadar kişilik üzerinde bu kadar açık ve belirleyici bir ilişki olduğunu düşünmüyorum. Yaklaşımı abartılı buldum.
Brianne LaBorde
Aug 18, 2020 rated it really liked it
Read when I was in my first trimester and so glad I did. It doesn’t surprise me that research now backs up the truth of Gods word, and this book, by displaying tons of research about the effects on a fetus while developing should be discussing more often in mainstream culture.
Mercy Mn
Mar 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
EXCELENTE!
Ioana Stoica
Jun 02, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
What an interesting book! All mothers to be must read it and learn from it!!! But i personally recommend it for all the people to read and to learn and understand that life begins in the womb!!
Baran Toppare
Jul 10, 2020 rated it liked it
Ok book 2.5. A bit of repetitive content and not every claim is supported by scientific evidence.
Emily
Aug 26, 2012 rated it really liked it
It was an almost exhilarating feeling to find out that remembering life in the womb is not abnormal. To know that I have a profound effect on the life of my unborn child also lends a greater deal of gravity to the act of being pregnant, one that I appreciate.
It's been 32 years since this book was written, though - what about the FURTHER advances in prenatal psychology since then? I can only imagine what else has been discovered, but this book provided enough fascinating stories to keep me ponde
Hrothgar Cynric
Oct 29, 2013 rated it really liked it
It is a great book, that shows that what the mother thinks, acts and reflects during pregnancy, can affect or can help a baby during his or her post-natal life. I would recommend this book for anyone who is pregnant and wants to have a healthier baby, in all of the aspects. Also, this is a book who may concern biothecisits, because it clearly shows the importance of a good pregnancy and that the actions or ideas the mother has can harm the baby in this original step of life.
mama/patty
Oct 08, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Ammie and Kellie
Recommended to mama/patty by: Robin
When I was pregnant with my sweet Angela, this book was recommended to me. I enjoyed it so much. It my opinion it gave me an interesting prospective on my little one growing inside me. I reread it when I was carrying my precious Bonnie. It has pictures and everything. Ammie you and Kellie should read it.
Judith
Jan 13, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Although this research is 30+ years old the information will be new to most people. Intriguing science reveals that human fetal brains function and store memories at near adult capacity; furthermore, personality as well as physical development can be significantly affected by interactions in the womb - even by the mother's thoughts and the father's feelings! Must read.
yerazness
Dec 12, 2016 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Bilgiyi vermeden önce sürekli 'ABD'nin bilmem hangi kentinde bilmem hangi profesörün yaptığı çalışmaya göre' demesi beni kitaptan çokça uzaklaştırdı.

Tüm kitabı göz önüne aldığımda ise ufkumu açan çok önemli bir bilgi ile karşılaştığımı da söyleyemeyeceğim.
Hope
Sep 29, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: family, non-fiction
I read this in preparation for our first baby. I was skeptical about some of the author's conclusions (i.e., most criminals had violent births) and I was dismayed at his flimsy stand on abortion given the astounding proofs in the book that the fetus is very much alive.
Mari
Dec 11, 2007 rated it liked it
I enjoyed reading this book on how child birth has changed and its various possible effects on children
Amy
Mar 27, 2008 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: anybody pregnant
Recommended to Amy by: my mom
I am very interested in this book, but I think it will mean more to me when I get pregnant, of course...

Susan
Aug 10, 2011 rated it really liked it
Excellent book! Helped me understand myself better, as well as my kids.
Freya Magnusson
Aug 19, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: health-read
This was required reading for my Rebirthing training and really interesting read about pre and peri natal psychology.
Suigeneris
bazı güzel noktalar vardı değindiği ama çoğunlukla sıkıcıydı eski bir eser olduğundan belki yararlandığı ama pek sevemedim de.
Young Wook
Good to know that prenatal education has scientific background, but a bit scary as a mom that everything (character, sexual taste and health condition) is decided when the baby is in my womb.
julieta
Apr 21, 2010 rated it liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
The author really loves the phrase "startling new evidence" he goes back to it a lot. A bit outdated, but has some nice parts.
Beth
Jun 15, 2007 rated it really liked it
Loved it!! Makes you rethink your pregnancy and what you do while pregnant! Talk to your unborn baby!
HeavyReader
Jun 21, 2007 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone who is interested in what goes on inside the human body
Somehow the author of this book got photographs of a developing fetus. Cool and eerie, another good bed for anyone interested in the prenatal period.
Cyndi Pereira
Aug 13, 2007
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »

• Bilinçli Bebek
  • HypnoBirthing: The Mongan Method
  • The Happiest Baby on the Block: The New Way to Calm Crying and Help Your Newborn Baby Sleep Longer
  • Işığın Yolu
  • Helping Young Children Flourish
  • The Birth Of A Mother: How The Motherhood Experience Changes You Forever
  • Geliştiren Anne-Baba
  • Başlarım Şimdi Anneliğe
  • The Happiest Toddler on the Block: The New Way to Stop the Daily Battle of Wills and Raise a Secure and Well-Behaved One- To Four-Year-Old
  • How To Raise An Amazing Child the Montessori Way