Start by marking “Talk of the Town” as Want to Read:
Talk of the Town

Talk of the Town

(Daily, Texas #1)

The show American Megastar is the hottest thing on television but its associate producer, Mandalay Florentino, is worried. She's just arrived in the tiny town of Daily, Texas, to arrange a surprise "reunion concert" for hometown finalist Amber Amberson. Only it turns out everyone in town seems to know the secret. And paparazzi are arriving. Word from Hollywood is that Ambe ...more
Published February 1st 2008 by Bethany House (first published January 1st 2008)

Start your review of Talk of the Town
Jerry
Jun 24, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A sweet, charming romance.

EDIT: I honestly had forgotten I'd read this previously; then again, that was four years ago, and I've completed copious books since then. Still, this was a sweet story of overcoming adversity and finding love that also serves as a window into "reality" television. I had no idea there were sequels; guess I need to seek them out.
Loraine
Rating 4.5

If I had only read the first 3 or 4 chapters, I would have missed out on a good book. I was ready to quit after the first few chapters due to Miss Wingate's use of phonetic Texas dialogue that read more like hillbilly talk (think of the Clampets) and the same for the main character's boss who was eastern European (think Zsa Zsa Gabor). It seemed to stop though after about the 4th chapter (thank goodness).

Mandalay Florentino (nicknamed Amanda Lee by the towns folk) is a assistant on th
Joleen
Jun 22, 2016 rated it really liked it
Normally I enjoy 1800's westerns, or older British storylines, so this was sort of a recess. Not a bad recess...just different.
The story has two voices:
Mandalay Florentino, a music executive of sorts, who works for an American Idol sort of singing competition.... and
Imagene Doll, an Aunt Bea sort of character, who is a sweet older woman who ends up to be quite helpful to Mandalay.
The story is all about a small town sweet Christian girl who is making it to the top 5 where she will have her homet
April
Mar 10, 2010 rated it really liked it
I was unexpectedly charmed. The book is a romance, without it being an obvious romance. In fact, it's more seemingly about friendship, small towns, and the fish out of water -- but it's got kind of a romantic comedy vibe to it. The two POVs are the heroine's and another female character's. The heroine, Mandalay, is from L.A., and she's in a small town because as a producer in a reality TV show much like American Idol, she's supposed to do a piece about one of the contestant's hometown and childh ...more
Jeanne Adamek
Aug 03, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It took a while--three tries actually-- but I finally got into this book and enjoyed a great part of it.

I have to admit the topic, American Megastar, just wasn't really something that I was intrested in. But I do really enjoy the way that Lisa Wingate puts a story together. In this novel the only problem for me was to read enough to get into the story and appreciate the characters... which the author does superbly. She was able to create a town that had people I would love to know. No one was pe
Lyuba
Aug 01, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Talk of the Town ended up being completely different from what I expected. I expected a romance novel, but I got a story of friendship with romance thrown in for good measure.

The story takes place in a small town of Daily, Texas, completely run down and very sad. But the town gets its second chance, when one of their own gets into top 5 in American Idol type of program.

The story is told from the point of view of two women. One is Mandalay, the producer of the show who is tasked with top secret
Lisa
Jun 25, 2011 rated it liked it
Very cute story- I'd give it more of a 3.5 than a flat 3 if there was an option. I got 'Talk of the Town' as a free Kindle book back in Feb. and it finally made it's way to the top of the "To be Read' list- now I'm kicking myself for not reading it earlier. The story is told from 2 viewpoints, one being Mandalay Florentino, associate producer of an American Idol like TV show, who has come to small town Daily, Texas to set up a remote shoot the show will be using to spotlight young Amber Anderson ...more
Lisa Carter
Really loved the quirky characters and homespun warmth of Daily, a small, Southern town in Texas. Completely drawn in by toe-curling romance. Laughed out loud at sounds-like-me moments. I can't wait to read the rest of Wingate's Texas Hill Country novels. Loved the beautiful picture she painted of God's sovereign hand over all the details and situations of our lives—despite our mistakes, course correcting to come full circle to become the truest self we were always meant to be.
Courtney
Sep 24, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2017
"Talk of the Town" by Lisa Wingate was a different type novel for me by an author that I have never read before, it was a little slow at first but the deeper I got into the story the better it became. There were many different characters that made for one very wild story. You have your big city girl meets small town grandmother, and the Lord begins to take everything into His hands to make a miracle out of a mess.

The beginning was kind of a bumpy road, slow but not to the point that I felt the
Caroline
Sep 28, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audiobook, 2016
What a wonderful book by Lisa Wingate and an excellent narration by Johanna Parker!

Things I loved:
1) Small town charm of Daily, Texas with extra quirky characters like Imagene Doll and Donetta.
2) Johanna Parker's voice repertoire - old voice of Imagene Doll, voice of Amber with a Texas drawl, high pitched voice of Donetta with Texas twang, Swedish voice of Ursula, old drunken voice of Verl.
3) Imagene Doll's use of animal/farm metaphors - "happy as pig in poop", "they will be all over you like st
Cindy
Aug 04, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Pleasant read, will read next in series & author again. No language, sex, or gore. Christian-based. Recommended. ...more
Kelly
Mar 25, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This author can write so well even in different styles. The first series I read of hers, had more of a suspenseful edge, but this book, which is the first book in another series had me laughing my head off! I loved it, and now am going on to the second book!
Virginia Pillars
Mar 31, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I enjoy books by Lisa Wingate. She crafts an interesting set of characters and tells an engaging story. I had a teeny bit of trouble getting into this book, but am glad I kept at it. I liked the ending she chose. Good clean writing.
Dee Richardson
Feb 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Great read!

Loved this book!
Made me wish I could visit Daily. Our town is a lot like it.
Now I’m anxious to read the second book.
Hope~The Click Happy Clicker
Rising star

Such a cute story with a big ol' happy ending! I'm ready to read the next book in the series to see what wonderful things happen next!
Stacy
Predictable, but humorous and entertaining. I loved the small town characters. Clean enough to recommend to friends and family.
Marci
Mar 22, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Lots of slow parts but I enjoyed the small town setting, the busy-bodied old ladies, and the overall idea.
Melissa
I had read the 2nd book in this series by Lisa Wingate a long time ago (Word Gets Around) and I had enjoyed it. Enough that when I saw this first book I decided to give it a read. They can be read in any order as the plots are separate from one another, so that didn't make any difference to my enjoyment of this one. What did make a difference was the fact that this one was almost excruciating to get through.

Mandalay Florentino is a producer from California who has landed in Daily, TX as part of
Mary
Oct 21, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I hadn't read any of Lisa Wingate's books before, but I'm a sucker for a romantic comedy, so I thought I'd give it a try. Overall, it's a well-written, engaging, and inspirational story. I'd recommend it to anyone who's looking for a positive and lighthearted read.

Set in the small town of Daily, Texas, Talk of the Town is filled with memorable and varied characters. Daily's the kind of place that we all secretly wish we could live - a small, rural town where everybody knows and looks out for eve
Gail
Oct 10, 2008 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a fun, lively women's fiction read with a nice romance. Heroine works for an American-Idol-esque reality show and has been sent to prep for the "Visit Home" show for one of the contestants who is a small-town Texas gospel singer nobody believes is real. The heroine is trying to keep the purpose of her visit a secret--which, given that she's come to a small Texas town, is pretty much impossible. Why else would a sleek stranger from California come to town? The other main character of the ...more
Kristina
Mar 27, 2010 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This was a Kindle freebie I thought I'd try out. I gave this book two stars because it was just okay. There really wasn't anything all that special about it as it was extremely predictable from start to finish. If you're looking for a rosy-colored perfect happy ending then this is it. I won't really spoil too much by saying there is one point in the book where two of the main characters get in a tiff, but at no point did I ever doubt they would make right up and "ride off into the sunset."

I did
Cindy
Mar 18, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Lisa Wingate is an author whose dialog and knowledge of Texas makes you hear the drawl in your head while you read. Her Texan on-dits are charming and funnier than a black bear being chased by a bunny rabbit! I do not care much for the way she alternates the story between two characters in order to tell the story, as it left me restless, but by about 4 or 6 chapters I was resigned to it and it stopped being so irritating. However, I must exclaim over the younger heroine's opportunity to tell the ...more
Diane
Jul 21, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I truly enjoyed this book. I listened to it on tape and I found that a delightful way to "hear" the southern accents and get a feel for the characters. I love Lisa's way of intertwining stories of women of differing ages and stages in life. This book told the story of a up and coming producer of a reality TV show and the women in a small southern town in Texas. Several times I didn't see any obvious ending (which is a plus) but there were times, the next turn was obvious. Some characters were us ...more
I really enjoyed this book. I listened to the book on CD. It had me laughing a lot. The characters were so fun and likable. The narrator, Johanna Parker, was wonderful. She brought this book to a ever higher level with her voice talent. I look forward to reading more books by Lisa Wingate. I love her sense of humor and down to earth , real life writing.
Linda Hart
Apr 25, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was a well done audiobook that was a completely entertaining comedy romance mystery. Her characters are delightful and it is refreshing Christian literature. I will select more of her books to read.
Jowellyn Neville
This book lacked pace and was at times a tedious read. After a very slow start, it finally became into it's own in the last few chapters. If you're prepared to plod through most of the book, it does have a satisfactory conclusion.
Peggy Purser Freeman
Love the main characters, although the voice of some characters grated on my nerves, I have to admit I have heard some people exactly like them. Lisa Wingate draws me in with her great inspiration, mixed with romance. No preaching. No too holy to be real characters. Honest, good and well written.
Delinda Mauney
Jan 07, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Lisa Wingate is an excellent author. Easy to read and keeps you interested. Have several of her books I plan to read
Linda
Jun 14, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2020
What happens when small-town Texas collides with Hollywood-style reality TV? Well, in Daily, Texas, it's never predictable, but always hilarious. And maybe there's a little old-fashioned romance thrown in ...

(Editing oversights found in Kindle text: Page 5, and a wacky escapades of slapstick proportions / AND WACKY escapades of slapstick proportions (omit "a") ; 8, He's been know to run on at the mouth / He's been KNOWN to run on at the mouth ; 24, Well I don't know / WELL, I don't know ;36, Oh,
Louise Pledge
Aug 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Oh, this would make the BEST movie! PLEASE make this into a movie! At the time I picked this up, it was an extremely busy day/week, but it was killing me each time I had to put it down. Otherwise, I would have read it in one day, instead of two. if I had to pick one adjective, it would be: Charming. Everything about it. So much humor that I kept seeing in my mind being played out, good old small town warmth, a few lessons to be learned in between.

I picked it up after reading "Before We Were You

• Stuck in the Middle (Sister-to-Sister #1)
  • To Everything a Season (Song of Blessing, #1)
  • Shadow of Doubt (Newpointe 911, #2)
  • Stars Collide (Backstage Pass, #1)
  • Beyond the Silence
  • Promised Land
  • Changes at Fairacre (Fairacre, #18)
  • Simple Gifts
  • Hidden Agenda (Southern Crimes, #3)
  • A Long Time Comin'
  • Word of Honor (Newpointe 911 #3)
  • Mail Order Bluebonnet Brides: Complete Boxed Set
  • Almost Home
  • Before and After: The Incredible Real-Life Stories of Orphans Who Survived the Tennessee Children's Home Society
  • The Memory House
  • Embers of Love (Striking a Match, #1)
  • Home to Chicory Lane (Chicory Inn #1)
  • Dakota Destiny (Dakota #5)
Lisa Wingate is a former journalist, an inspirational speaker, and the bestselling author of more than thirty books. Her blockbuster "Before We Were Yours" was on the NYT best seller list for over one year. Her work has won or been nominated for many awards, including the Pat Conroy Southern Book Prize, the Oklahoma Book Award, the Utah Library Award, the Carol Award, the Christy Award, and the RT ...more

Daily, Texas (3 books)
  • Word Gets Around (Daily, Texas #2)
  • Never Say Never (Daily, Texas #3)