Start by marking “Bunny Party” as Want to Read:
Bunny Party

Bunny Party (Max and Ruby)

3.8  ·  Rating details ·  196 Ratings  ·  27 Reviews
It's Grandma's birthday and Max and Ruby are having a party for her. Ruby has invited seven stuffed-toy guests she's sure Grandma will like. Max wants to invite his Jellyball Shooter Spider, his Ear-Splitter Space Cadet and his Can't-Sit-Up Slug, but Ruby says no. Yet each time Ruby counts the number of guests at the table, another one has mysteriously appeared. Is Ruby ha ...more
Published November 10th 2003 by Puffin Books (first published 2001)

To ask other readers questions about Bunny Party, please sign up.

Recent Questions

This question contains spoilers… (view spoiler)

Joanna Price
K-2nd grade. Popular characters Max and Ruby, rabbit siblings, prepare for their grandmother's birthday party. Ruby has invited all her stuffed animals, but Max wants his at the party as well. As Max sneaks his stuffed animals into the party, Ruby wonders if she is having a bad counting day or if the guest list really is mysteriously increasing. The cute story teaches children counting skills while also depicting a mischief that is amusing and harmless, ideal for young mischievous humans. The il ...more
T Crockett
Jun 14, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-books
This is essentially a counting book, but what I like about it is that the counting (up to ten) is actually part of the plot. Because of that I've found the kids (preschool) are more willing to count along and not just stare at me like I'm crazy.

There's a Bunny Party movie and soundtrack that have expand on the plot (and remove the counting). The kids love these and the soundtrack is pretty enjoyable from an adult point of view too.
Alyn
Feb 27, 2014 rated it really liked it
My son loves Max because Max is always doing something that he is told not to do. This time it is inviting certain guests to the party even after Ruby told him no. The fact that Ruby never noticed anything too weird didn't make any sense to me but this is a children's book, meant for children to enjoy, and my son certainly didn't mind it. In fact, that kind of blew right over his head. He was too busy laughing at what Max was doing.
jacky
Jul 09, 2010 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: toddlers - primary school
Shelves: picture-books, online
I really liked this Max and Ruby book. This one is has also been turned into an episode on the TV show. I really enjoyed how all the toys are the same on the show as in the book because I've always liked the names of the toys. I thought the mischieve in this book was cute (rather than some of the annoying things Max gets away with). Also, Ruby was acting like a sister versus a mother in this one. I liked how this was really a counting book, but it also had a plot.
Tam
Sep 17, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: birthday
My 4-year-old loves Max and Ruby so, of course, he loved this book. I think you might have to see the show to appreciate the book so you can get a sense of what Max and Ruby are really like.

My child loved that Max was so sneaky in getting his "guests" at the table. He thought it was funny when Ruby couldn't figure out why she couldn't count the right number of guests.
Seher Patka
Oct 04, 2010 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-alouds, family, math
The sister bunny decides to have a tea party with her stuffed toys and grandma. However, when she doesn't invite her brother's toys to the tea party, Max gets upset. He takes two of his sister's toys and replaces them with his. His sister doesn't notice but tries to do the math in her head and figure out what's going on. This book is perfect for a mini math lesson.
Vivian
Nov 28, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Whether you're looking for a "counting" book, a "party" book, a book featuring "grandma", or even a story about "toys" -- this will fill the bill.

Boys love it because Max is all boy and girls love it because Ruby is all girl. In a word, DELIGHTFUL!
Dolly
Sep 16, 2009 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: parents reading with their children
Shelves: childrens, 2009, math, birthday
A unique counting book that highlights the relationship between Max and his bossy big sister, Ruby. Count their party guests from one to ten. Fun to read aloud, especially for Max and Ruby fans, like our girls. We've borrowed this a few times from the library.
Samantha
Aug 16, 2012 rated it liked it
As always, Max's wishes are ignored by Ruby and Max finds a way to fix things for himself...with help from Grandma of course, because Ruby doesn't know exactly what Grandma wants, no matter how much she thinks she does. =)
Kristin H.
My son and daughter love this book. Ruby wants to throw a party for grandma but Max doesn't like ruby's guest list. While Ruby is getting more chairs Max puts all of his toys in the seats. Grandma likes all of the uninvited guests.
Deana Pittman
Aug 11, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Abbi says, "I like it alot. Max was sneaky putting his toys at the party."
Holly
Sep 28, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: carson-s
Used this as a fun counting book too.
Po
Apr 29, 2010 rated it it was amazing
This book actually made me laugh out loud the first time I read it. My daughter was perplexed. One of our new favorites.
Kaethe
Features all of Max's wonderful toys and his mischievous ways. Great for preschoolers and their older siblings.
Laudys
Nov 06, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: we-give-books
Max, as always, gives his older sister, Ruby, a headache. But I must admit, he's one clever bunny.
babyhippoface
Mar 01, 2008 rated it really liked it
Max has the coolest toys. Can I have a Jellyball Shooter Spider?
Ash
Oct 23, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: childrens-and-ya
One of the better Max and Ruby books. It was really cute and nice to see Max not get excluded as usual.
Tess
Jan 24, 2015 rated it really liked it
The loving grandma bunny makes this book great.
Car
Dec 31, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
So cute! Max is always so clever.
Brooke
Dec 05, 2012 rated it it was amazing
weird
Waits
Apr 06, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Great, now Waits wants a Jellybean Shooter Spider and an Ear-Splitter Space Cadet. Thanks, Rosemary Wells.
Readergirl77
Sep 22, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: nathans-shelf
Nathan loves Max and Ruby.
Theresa
Mar 30, 2015 rated it liked it
Bunny Party
Wells, Rosemary
grandmas birthday needs to have surprises and both Max and Ruth have their own ideas
Rachel Rouleau
Good for number and counting practice along with reading the story.
Erin
  • Have Fun, Molly Lou Melon
  • Little Dog Lost: The True Story of a Brave Dog Named Baltic
  • In the Town All Year 'Round
  • Baby Signs
  • The Snowy Day Mystery (Cam Jansen Mysteries, #24)
  • Don't Worry Bear
  • The Berenstain Bears Save Christmas
  • A Pirate's Twelve Days of Christmas
  • Wombat Walkabout
  • Ten Naughty Little Monkeys

Rosemary Wells is the author of a number of popular children's books, most notably the Max and Ruby series which follows the everyday adventures of sibling bunnies - curious three year old Max and bossy seven year old Ruby. She gets the inspiration for Max and Ruby from her two daughters and the experiences they
More about Rosemary Wells...

Max and Ruby (1 - 10 of 67 books)
  • Bunny Cakes
  • Bunny Money
  • Bunny Mail
  • Max Cleans Up
  • Max's Chocolate Chicken (Max and Ruby)
  • Max's Dragon Shirt (Max and Ruby)
  • A Merry Bunny Christmas