Start by marking “We are in a Book! (Elephant & Piggie, #13)” as Want to Read:
We are in a Book! (Elephant & Piggie, #13)

We are in a Book!

(Elephant & Piggie #13)

4.57  ·  Rating details ·  13,925 ratings  ·  1,381 reviews
Gerald is careful. Piggie is not. Piggie cannot help smiling. Gerald can.

Gerald and Piggie are best friends.

In We Are in a Book! Gerald and Piggie discover the joy of being read. But what will happen when the book ends?

Using vocabulary perfect for beginning readers (and vetted by an early-learning specialist), Mo Willems has crafted a mind-bending story that is even more i
Published September 14th 2010 by Hyperion Books for Children

·  13,925 ratings  ·  1,381 reviews

Philip
Aug 25, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Eleanor: Dad I want to give it five stars.

Dad: So you understand how this whole, "reviewing thing" works now, huh?

Gwennie (Pointing to the cover): This is a pig, and this is an elephant. Do you want eat this - putting a toy plate against my mouth.

Eleanor: Tell me my favorite part.

Dad: I don't know what your favorite part is. It's your favorite part...

Eleanor: Say, 'what's your favorite part.'

Dad: Ok guys, what's your favorite part?

Eleanor: My favorite part is when they said, "Banana!" (muttering
Archit Ojha
Aug 02, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: ebooks

And now I surely know where the minions got their fancy.

This one was the best of the lot. Laughed my guts out!
Matt
Jun 23, 2018 rated it really liked it
Everyone wants their fifteen minutes of fame, even fictitious characters. When Gerald and Piggie realise that they have been cast as stars to lead this book, they discover the ins and outs of being characters that the reader must follow. From movement, speech, and even as guides through the pages, Gerald and Piggie take the reader on quite the adventure of self-exploration. East sentences and cute themes head up this book, which will have the young reader wanting to read it over and over (as bot ...more
William Galaini
May 22, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: owned
Alright ... this is going to get awfully heavy for a children's book.

Taken as a children's book 'We are in a Book' is successful on all counts. The vocabulary is repeated without tedium while still managing to be expressed in context. The artwork is charming, the characters pleasantly quirky without being overt, and all in all the word bubble dynamic make it easy for a child to identify tone and conflict.

So, mechanically, this is a very well written children's book.

Now to the overall plot ... Ge
Sophia Triad
Jun 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children
a reader is reading us!

Piggie and Gerald, the two bestest friends realise that they are watched.
Is it a monster?
Is it someone they know?
It is you!
It is the reader who is watching them and is reading what they say inside the word bubbles.

So, they decide to play a trick on YOU. They will make YOU say a word. And not just any word. They will make YOU say a funny word.

BANANA

Did you say it loudly? Did you think about it? Did you laugh?

Gerald and Piggy laughed. Because they tricked you!

And I can g
Scarlet Cameo
May 24, 2016 rated it really liked it
This book is so freaking funny! If you love "fictional characters" you will love the Elephant and the Pig, are fun, adorable, cute and i love their humor changes! This isn't a master work but, be honest, as a kid you will love it and as an adult too.

And another thing, I will be as excited as they are if was me the one that is in the book :D

Aaron
Jan 26, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I had a little someone read this to me. It was the highlight of my day. Perfect for early readers.
Aryana Parmar
Oct 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Great book!
Whatchyareading
This review is for all the Elephant and Piggie books.

You know how, when you’re an adult, you stop reading picture books? Unless you have kids…but that’s different. You aren’t reading them for you. Well, I have a friend who’s never had this happen to her. She still loves to read picture books. And she has instilled in me the same love.

So, when I say I love the Elephant and Piggie books by Mo Willems, I don’t mean, I remember loving them. I mean, I just discovered them a few months ago and I think
Malia
Jan 20, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children-s-books
What a cute book!
Claire
Oct 18, 2018 added it
hahaha the silly animals are so silly!!! THEY KEEP MAKING THE READER SAY BANANA!
Jenny (A Court of Thrones and Crows)
BANANA
Shawn Deal
Jan 23, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: children-s
This a great series of books. This is one that engages the reader as a part of the story and really adds yet another element of fun to what already is a fun little book.
Nov 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing
My sister brought this book home. It has been a very long time since I read a picture book. I read it three times in a row. This was funny and endearing.
Karis
Once upon a time, there were two sisters who stumbled across a picture book and fell in love with its story. The book was about two friends like them, and as the two sisters read and re-read the story, they found themselves memorizing the lines, each picking their own character to be. Back and forth they would act out the story making even the most boring chore around the house fun.

Alas, one day they lost the book, and for years they lived with only its memory, still smiling at the plot and tea
midnightfaerie
Jun 19, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: childrens
Although my 2 yr old twins weren't old enough to appreciate the story, they still enjoyed the pictures. And my 5 yr old absolutely loved the story. We read a lot, but this was the first time we read a story with the characters talking to us. It was a novel idea for him and his eyes shown with the excitement of it. The pig and elephant were adorable, and I was struck by how many books Mo Willems actually has out! There are so many! When the pig asked us if we'd read the book again, we all answere ...more
Gaby
Feb 04, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Elephant and Piggie are great. The illustrations in their books are simple, but effective in conveying body language for younger readers. A lot can be read into the illustrations.

I like this books because it helps to teach about some of the concepts of print. It introduces page numbers and speech bubbles. I also like the way they encourage readers to re-read the story.

Such a positive message bout reading... I love it!
Dolly
Oct 23, 2010 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: beginning readers and parents reading with them
This is a fun book in the Elephant and Piggie series of books by Mo Willems. It's not my favorite in the series, but it is silly and we love read these books together, taking turns reading the dialogues. Our oldest loves to play the part of Elephant and I usually play the part of Piggie. And of course, we just had to read this one a couple of times. We've borrowed this a couple of times and now I just listen while our girls read it aloud.
Pooja
Nov 23, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: children
Banana So Funny !!
Jun 04, 2015 rated it it was amazing
So cute!
Amanda
Jul 08, 2015 rated it it was amazing
this book is so cute!!! i recommend this book to everyone! lol even if you're like 30 you should read it because its honestly so cute and i loved it. and trust me i don't say that to a lot of books.
Jennifer B.
Jul 31, 2017 rated it liked it
It's cute, but I was expecting a different direction for the ending.
Elif
Oct 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Pig and Elephant think that somebody is looking at them and realize that somebody is reading them. They mess around and don’t want it to end.
Sara
Oct 18, 2018 added it
This book was pretty good, but it could use more variety of the type of sentences. It just used independence sentences and had a lot of repetition.
Robin
Feb 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: kids
Gerald's existential crises rival my own.
Steven
Aug 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Hilarious book. Cleverly written. My 4 year old laughed out loud.
Connie
Sep 30, 2010 rated it really liked it
Hannah Jane
May 02, 2016 rated it it was amazing
- I love all of the elephant & piggie books because they have thoughtful lessons that anyone can benefit from, aha moments that have the potential to radically alter your point of view - in this one elephant & piggie know that they are being read and how they interact with the reader is simply marvelous, insightful and clever. - as always their facial expressions are so exact and funny you will see yourself in them.
Charlotte
Jun 19, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: kids
The kids loved this one. It's cute. It is rare to find a book that is written at a level they can read on their own which doesn't strike them as boring and childish. This book reminded me a lot of one I read as a kid, a Sesame Street book in which Grover thought there was a monster at the end of the book. The link is that the characters in the book directly address or acknowledge the reader. It is a gimmick that never gets old! :)
Akemi G.
May 21, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-fiction, kid-lit
Because I love the Pigeon series, I checked out some the Elephant & Piggie books as well. Aimed at a slightly younger audience, the Elephant series is more, er, benign. Occasionally, it comes off a bit preachy ("We are all going to be good, okay?" ^_^ tone), but this one is fun. It works as a smart joke, and reminds me of The Monster at the End of this Book.
  • Ling & Ting: Not Exactly the Same! (Ling & Ting, #1)
  • Interrupting Chicken
  • The Wonderful Book
  • We Are Growing! (Elephant & Piggie like reading!, #2)
  • Tales for Very Picky Eaters
  • A Bedtime for Bear
  • How to Teach a Slug to Read
  • Penny and Her Marble
  • Cat Secrets
  • Brontorina
  • Dog Loves Books
  • Miss Brooks Loves Books! (And I Don't)
  • Z Is for Moose
  • There Are No Cats in This Book
  • Pearl and Wagner: One Funny Day
  • Oh No!: Or How My Science Project Destroyed the World
  • Bink & Gollie (Bink & Gollie, #1)
  • Press Here
#1 New York Times Bestselling author and illustrator Mo Willems is best known for his Caldecott Honor winning picture books Don’t Let the Pigeon Drive the Bus and Knuffle Bunny: a cautionary tale.

In addition to such picture books as Leonardo the Terrible Monster, Edwina the Dinosaur Who Didn’t Know She Was Extinct, and Time to Pee, Mo has created the Elephant and Piggie books, a series of early r

Elephant & Piggie (1 - 10 of 26 books)
  • Today I Will Fly! (Elephant & Piggie, #1)
  • My Friend is Sad (Elephant & Piggie, #2)
  • I am Invited to a Party! (Elephant & Piggie, #3)
  • There Is a Bird on Your Head! (Elephant & Piggie, #4)
  • I Love My New Toy! (Elephant & Piggie, #5)
  • I Will Surprise My Friend! (Elephant & Piggie, #6)
  • Are You Ready to Play Outside? (Elephant & Piggie, #7)
  • Watch Me Throw the Ball! (Elephant & Piggie, #8)
  • Elephants Cannot Dance! (Elephant & Piggie, #9)
  • Pigs Make Me Sneeze! (Elephant & Piggie, #10)