Start by marking “We are in a Book! (Elephant & Piggie, #13)” as Want to Read:
We are in a Book! (Elephant & Piggie, #13)

We are in a Book! (Elephant & Piggie #13)

4.58  ·  Rating details ·  12,498 Ratings  ·  1,267 Reviews
Gerald is careful. Piggie is not. Piggie cannot help smiling. Gerald can.

Gerald and Piggie are best friends.

In We Are in a Book! Gerald and Piggie discover the joy of being read. But what will happen when the book ends?

Using vocabulary perfect for beginning readers (and vetted by an early-learning specialist), Mo Willems has crafted a mind-bending story that is even more i
Published September 14th 2010 by Disney-Hyperion

To ask other readers questions about We are in a Book!, please sign up.

This question contains spoilers… (view spoiler)
cynthia hughes I don't know, do you?

Philip
Aug 25, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Eleanor: Dad I want to give it five stars.

Dad: So you understand how this whole, "reviewing thing" works now, huh?

Gwennie (Pointing to the cover): This is a pig, and this is an elephant. Do you want eat this - putting a toy plate against my mouth.

Eleanor: Tell me my favorite part.

Dad: I don't know what your favorite part is. It's your favorite part...

Eleanor: Say, 'what's your favorite part.'

Dad: Ok guys, what's your favorite part?

Eleanor: My favorite part is when they said, "Banana!" (muttering
William Galaini
May 22, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: owned
Alright ... this is going to get awfully heavy for a children's book.

Taken as a children's book 'We are in a Book' is successful on all counts. The vocabulary is repeated without tedium while still managing to be expressed in context. The artwork is charming, the characters pleasantly quirky without being overt, and all in all the word bubble dynamic make it easy for a child to identify tone and conflict.

So, mechanically, this is a very well written children's book.

Now to the overall plot ... Ge
Archit Ojha
Aug 02, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: ebooks

And now I surely know where the minions got their fancy.

This one was the best of the lot. Laughed my guts out!
Scarlet Cameo
May 24, 2016 rated it really liked it
This book is so freaking funny! If you love "fictional characters" you will love the Elephant and the Pig, are fun, adorable, cute and i love their humor changes! This isn't a master work but, be honest, as a kid you will love it and as an adult too.

And another thing, I will be as excited as they are if was me the one that is in the book :D

Aaron
Jan 26, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I had a little someone read this to me. It was the highlight of my day. Perfect for early readers.
Malia
Jan 20, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children-s-books
What a cute book!
Whatchyareading
This review is for all the Elephant and Piggie books.

You know how, when you’re an adult, you stop reading picture books? Unless you have kids…but that’s different. You aren’t reading them for you. Well, I have a friend who’s never had this happen to her. She still loves to read picture books. And she has instilled in me the same love.

So, when I say I love the Elephant and Piggie books by Mo Willems, I don’t mean, I remember loving them. I mean, I just discovered them a few months ago and I think
Shawn
Jan 23, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: children-s
This a great series of books. This is one that engages the reader as a part of the story and really adds yet another element of fun to what already is a fun little book.
midnightfaerie
Jun 19, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: childrens
Although my 2 yr old twins weren't old enough to appreciate the story, they still enjoyed the pictures. And my 5 yr old absolutely loved the story. We read a lot, but this was the first time we read a story with the characters talking to us. It was a novel idea for him and his eyes shown with the excitement of it. The pig and elephant were adorable, and I was struck by how many books Mo Willems actually has out! There are so many! When the pig asked us if we'd read the book again, we all answere ...more
Gaby
Feb 04, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Elephant and Piggie are great. The illustrations in their books are simple, but effective in conveying body language for younger readers. A lot can be read into the illustrations.

I like this books because it helps to teach about some of the concepts of print. It introduces page numbers and speech bubbles. I also like the way they encourage readers to re-read the story.

Such a positive message bout reading... I love it!
Dolly
Oct 23, 2010 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: beginning readers and parents reading with them
This is a fun book in the Elephant and Piggie series of books by Mo Willems. It's not my favorite in the series, but it is silly and we love read these books together, taking turns reading the dialogues. Our oldest loves to play the part of Elephant and I usually play the part of Piggie. And of course, we just had to read this one a couple of times. We've borrowed this a couple of times and now I just listen while our girls read it aloud.
Pooja
Shelves: 2015-reads
So cute!
Amanda
Jul 08, 2015 rated it it was amazing
this book is so cute!!! i recommend this book to everyone! lol even if you're like 30 you should read it because its honestly so cute and i loved it. and trust me i don't say that to a lot of books.
Jennifer B.
Jul 31, 2017 rated it liked it
It's cute, but I was expecting a different direction for the ending.
Robin
Feb 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: kids
Gerald's existential crises rival my own.
Connie
Sep 30, 2010 rated it really liked it
Hannah Jane
May 02, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: easy-readers
- I love all of the elephant & piggie books because they have thoughtful lessons that anyone can benefit from, aha moments that have the potential to radically alter your point of view - in this one elephant & piggie know that they are being read and how they interact with the reader is simply marvelous, insightful and clever. - as always their facial expressions are so exact and funny you will see yourself in them.
Charlotte
Jun 19, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: kids
The kids loved this one. It's cute. It is rare to find a book that is written at a level they can read on their own which doesn't strike them as boring and childish. This book reminded me a lot of one I read as a kid, a Sesame Street book in which Grover thought there was a monster at the end of the book. The link is that the characters in the book directly address or acknowledge the reader. It is a gimmick that never gets old! :)
Akemi G
Because I love the Pigeon series, I checked out some the Elephant & Piggie books as well. Aimed at a slightly younger audience, the Elephant series is more, er, benign. Occasionally, it comes off a bit preachy ("We are all going to be good, okay?" ^_^ tone), but this one is fun. It works as a smart joke, and reminds me of The Monster at the End of this Book.
Laura McLoughlin
Mar 18, 2015 rated it really liked it
Kathryn laughed out loud so I'd consider it a success!
Rachel Hoeck
Apr 15, 2017 rated it it was amazing
We are in a Book by Mo Willems is about two characters, Piggy and Gerald, that are aware that someone is reading them. It takes a little bit for the characters to figure it out, but once they do, they become very excited. They keep making the reader say "banana" because they realize they have control of what the reader reads. When Piggy informs Gerald that the book ends, Gerald becomes very upset because he wants to be read. How will they solve this problem?

The characters are an important litera
Huawei
Apr 15, 2017 rated it it was amazing
“Who is looking at us?” the elephant asked. “A read!” pig said. Elephant and pig are two characters in this book, but they know the reader is reading them, so they begin to play with the reader. Say, “Banana.” The reader will follow with them to repeat this word. Oh, this is so funny. In the next page, the elephant and pig are laughing. No, all stories have ending!
speech bubbles: The author used different colors of speech bubbles to show the different speakers. The pink speech bubbles are the pi
Dominika Mat
Świnka Malinka i Słoń Leon to para sympatycznych przyjaciół. Ona - wygadana i pełna pomysłów, on - nieco flegmatyczny, ale bardzo poczciwy. Uzupełniają się doskonale, spędzając razem czas i wciągając dzieci do wspólnej zabawy.

W książeczce "Mieszkamy w książce" nasi bohaterowie przekonują się, że są... obserwowani przez czytelników! Z jednej strony są bardzo zaskoczeni, a z drugiej podekscytowani, że ich przygody będą czytane przez dzieci. Obmyślają nawet plan, dzięki któremu mogą być czytani bez
Angela Ball
Jan 28, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: kidlit-ed204
(KidLit ED204 category: Gryphon award winner)
Elephant & Piggie books are an absolute favorite in my house! There are 25 books in this series and I believe that my youngest son has checked out every single one from the library!
"We Are in a Book" is part of the Elephant & Piggie series written and illustrated by Mo Willems. The characters in the book always incorporate the reader into the story. In this book, they realize that they are in a book the reader is looking at them. Gerald and E
Katelyn Gerressen
Apr 15, 2017 rated it really liked it
"We Are In A Book!", by Mo Willems, is one of my favorite examples of a Postmodern Picturebook and I definitely recommend it! In this simple yet hilarious read, Gerald and Piggie realize that they are in fact being read in a book, and find many different ways to interact with the reader by doing things like making us say "Banana". Once they figure out the book is going to end, they try their best to stop this from happening in a very clever way, creating a Circular story-line that is just as fun ...more
Andrea Aprile
Sep 21, 2017 rated it really liked it
This is a must read for every child! This is a post modern picture book and is about Elephant and Piggie. The book starts with Elephant mentioning that him and Piggy are in a book. the characters in the book are aware that they are indeed characters in a book. As the book continues, Piggy tell Elephant that he can make the reader say something if the reader is reading out loud. Children love this part of the book especially when you actually say what Piggy wants you to say simply because you are ...more
Carter
Jul 02, 2017 rated it really liked it
what 😐😕😮😰
Erika
Jan 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: my-favorites
Absolutely love reading this book to my Kindergarteners!!
Ashley
Feb 09, 2018 added it
*Disclaimer*: I had to read this book for one of my college classes.

This book is so cute, I loved Elephant and Piggie's excitement when they found out that someone was reading them. This book is engaging, and I love how Elephant and Piggie are animated. It's such a great book to read to young ones and get them excited about reading.
  • Ling & Ting: Not Exactly the Same! (Ling & Ting, #1)
  • Interrupting Chicken
  • The Wonderful Book
  • Penny and Her Marble
  • Chester's Masterpiece (Chester)
  • Press Here
  • How Rocket Learned to Read
  • Maybe a Bear Ate It!
  • A Pet for Petunia
  • Up, Tall, and High!
  • Tales for Very Picky Eaters
  • Pumpkin Trouble
  • Oh No!: Or How My Science Project Destroyed the World
  • This Book Just Ate My Dog!
  • Z Is for Moose
  • Children Make Terrible Pets
  • Pete the Cat and His Four Groovy Buttons
  • How to Teach a Slug to Read
#1 New York Times Bestselling author and illustrator Mo Willems is best known for his Caldecott Honor winning picture books Don’t Let the Pigeon Drive the Bus and Knuffle Bunny: a cautionary tale.

In addition to such picture books as Leonardo the Terrible Monster, Edwina the Dinosaur Who Didn’t Know She Was Extinct, and Time to Pee, Mo has created the Elephant and Piggie books, a series of early r
More about Mo Willems...

Elephant & Piggie (1 - 10 of 25 books)
  • Today I Will Fly! (Elephant & Piggie, #1)
  • My Friend is Sad (Elephant & Piggie, #2)
  • I am Invited to a Party! (Elephant & Piggie, #3)
  • There Is a Bird on Your Head! (Elephant & Piggie, #4)
  • I Love My New Toy! (Elephant & Piggie, #5)
  • I Will Surprise My Friend! (Elephant & Piggie, #6)
  • Are You Ready to Play Outside? (Elephant & Piggie, #7)
  • Watch Me Throw the Ball! (Elephant & Piggie, #8)
  • Elephants Cannot Dance! (Elephant & Piggie, #9)
  • Pigs Make Me Sneeze! (Elephant & Piggie, #10)