Start by marking “Robert Downey Jr.: The Fall and Rise of the Comeback Kid” as Want to Read:
Robert Downey Jr.: The Fall and Rise of the Comeback Kid

Robert Downey Jr.: The Fall and Rise of the Comeback Kid

The first detailed and authoritative account of the life, career, stardom, and controversy of one of Hollywood’s most popular and gifted actors

"I've always felt like an outsider in this industry. Because I'm so insane I guess."  —Robert Downey Jr.

Robert Downey Jr.'s life isn't a movie—but it could be. This biography is an insightful, devastating, scathing, and ultimate/>"I've
Published August 12th 2010 by Anova Books (first published January 1st 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Robert Downey Jr., please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Robert Downey Jr.

Start your review of Robert Downey Jr.: The Fall and Rise of the Comeback Kid
Sammet
Jan 26, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
Definitely an informative biography, despite the author's lack of connection with Robert Downey Jr himself. I was a little bit annoyed by the overly negative outlook on everything Downey Jr has accomplished. Surely, drug addiction is never a lighthearted story, and I understand that. His portrayal of the misery of being an addict seemed honest and good.

However, Falk pointed to nearly everything Downey Jr has done, every single movie and appearance with a depressing outlook. The repor
Phoebe Rolfe
Feb 17, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: biographies, non-fic
Considering that this is a biography written by someone with no personal connection to RDJ, I thought it was done rather well, but when reading this I had a constant sense that we weren't quite getting into the true heart of the subject matter. Ben Falk mentions several times that Downey has the ability to put up a façade and only show what he wants to show his audiences, and I feel as if this describes the book quite accurately too: it was extremely well-researched and informative, but I didn't ...more
Emily
Jun 26, 2012 rated it it was ok
Shelves: biographies
This wasn't the best biography of an actor that I've read. Robert is one of my favroite actors and I just felt like this book could have pulled deeper for a better perspective. The quotes felt generic and there wasn't anyone close enough to give a real quote, like Robert or his wife. The author wasn't directly in contact with these people so it was weaker that way. I don't know, just me, I guess.
Susan
Aug 31, 2011 rated it liked it
This was pretty good despite not having the approval and input of Mr. Downey. I look forward to Downey's version of events if he ever decides to write an autobiography. I found the story both depressing and uplifting by turns. I join with all his fans in hoping he can maintain his newfound success. While I was reading this the news came out that he and his wife are expecting a baby; that was cool!
Tina
Jun 07, 2013 rated it liked it
I have always enjoyed RDJ but knew little about the details of his struggles with addiction. I am truly happy that he survived his demons and is enjoying success today. He is a joy to watch on screen, and I am rediscovering his films. I would prefer to read a personal account by RDJ himself, but this will suffice for now. I do agree with other reviewers that this author was very negative when discussing box office and such, but I enjoyed the book since I enjoy the man.
Joshua
Nov 27, 2010 rated it liked it
Like many modern day bios, this started off completely engaging, with new things I hadn't heard, some things that were common knowledge, and a few in depth points that I wish had been clarified but somehow had been overlooked for years. Lost me on the last 100 pages or so. A shame.
Margaret
Oct 09, 2010 rated it liked it
A little disappointing as the author has never met Robert Downey Jr. Story however was put together well, but as to it's authenticity?
Brookylin Blake
ioijljou
Eloisa
Jan 16, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Provided a lot of information. I knew that RDJ's life wasn't very....good at the beginning, but this is........wow.
Gillian Black
This started off really interesting though i got a bit bored in the middle.Liked the pictures at the end though.
Ella Stark
Jan 30, 2019
Montana Tyler
Sep 10, 2016
Caro
rated it did not like it
May 13, 2015
Eloise Parker
Jun 24, 2019
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• The Caine Mutiny
  • Why Meadow Died: The People and Policies That Created The Parkland Shooter and Endanger America's Students
  • The Night Fire (Renée Ballard, #3)
  • Moab Is My Washpot
  • The Dark Age (The Ancient Future, #1)
  • Grinding It Out: The Making of McDonald's
  • Boom Town: The Fantastical Saga of Oklahoma City, Its Chaotic Founding, Its Apocalyptic Weather, Its Purloined Basketball Team, and the Dream of Becoming a World-class Metropolis
  • One Day It'll All Make Sense
  • Let Love Have the Last Word
  • Yes, My Accent Is Real: and Some Other Things I Haven't Told You
  • Drop Shot (Myron Bolitar, #2)
  • The Ravenmaster: My Life with the Ravens at the Tower of London
  • Sweep: The Story of a Girl and Her Monster
  • Robert Downey, Jr. from Brat to Icon: Essays on the Film Career
  • The Face of a Stranger (William Monk, #1)
  • Looking for Alibrandi