Start by marking “Omnipotence and Other Theological Mistakes” as Want to Read:
Omnipotence and Other Theological Mistakes

Omnipotence and Other Theological Mistakes

3.94  ·  Rating details ·  78 Ratings  ·  10 Reviews
This book presents Hartshorne s philosophical theology briefly, simply, and vividly.
Throughout the centuries some of the world s most brilliant philosophers and theologians have held and perpetuated six beliefs that give the word God a meaning untrue to its import in sacred writings or in active religious devotion:
God is absolutely perfect and therefore unchangeable
2.omn
Published June 30th 1984 by State University of New York Press (first published December 1983)

To ask other readers questions about Omnipotence and Other Theological Mistakes, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Omnipotence and Other Theological Mistakes

Alex
Dec 11, 2007 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Christians, non-Christians
If I believed in God, it would be Hartshorne's God.

The book dispels common Christian fallacies on the nature of God through the use of Christian principles. This book is easy to read, challenging to grasp, and enlightening to understand.

This book has changed the way I see Christianity.
Derek
Sep 03, 2017 rated it really liked it
Hartshorne #2: Similar to the first book I reviewed, Hartshorne: A New World View, this book is an overview of his philosophy of religion, but here the presentation is more systematic and is willing to dive deeper at times. The heart of the book is really the first chapter, which outlines several missteps made by classical theism (hence the title). More interesting is Hartshorne's response to these mistakes later in the chapter. He positions his views as offering a middle ground between classica ...more
Jesse Thorson
Feb 26, 2017 rated it really liked it
Really, really, really interesting and provocative discussion of big "theological mistakes." Although I don't agree with much of where Hartshorne ends up, one NEEDS to engage with his philosophy/theology (and/or what other people in the process school are up to) in our day and age.
T.Kay Browning
May 31, 2017 rated it really liked it
Solid throughout.
Allen
Nov 15, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: religion
It's a slim book with a lot packed into it. Hartshorne takes on a series of theological "mistakes" that he attributes to the medieval scholastics. In general, they mainly stem from attempts to meld Christian theology with Greek -- and particularly Platonic -- philosophy. Thus, as he points out, we get a concept of God as so perfect that God can never change, or even be affected by our actions in any way. A God who cannot respond to us, as this would imply a change prompted by our prayers, deeds, ...more
Kathy
Jul 07, 2016 rated it liked it
Although at times his ideas were difficult to understand, his religious philosophy caused me to pause and think about what he calls traditional orthodoxy. His views about God are eye-opening; while he condemns fundamentalists and creationists and pro-lifers alike, he believes in a God of love. And a God who does not control or decide events but rather gives creatures freedom, lets chance work its changes, and allows for a broad and encompassing faith.
When he decried the idea of God as a male by
Kristine
Apr 21, 2009 rated it really liked it
Not nearly done, but I am thrilled with it so far. The author is a theist, but tackles the subject matter honestly and intelligently. Where I would normally think that discussions about how God operates(/"thinks") are irrelevant (because, to me, there is no mind of God because there is no God), Hartshorne comes at the subject from a more philosophical perspective, and challenges believers to be more intellectually honest with themselves.
Tara B
Feb 04, 2008 rated it really liked it
I don't really believe that there is one individual in the way that we think of the word that is an almighty God. This is still well thought out philosophy, and I think anyone who believes in God, writes about it, but still does not bash gay people and saving the environment needs all the good publicity I can give these days.
Deb
Jun 23, 2007 added it
Shelves: never-finished
I wish I'd gotten through more of this book before having to return it to the library, because hartshorne's theology rocks.
DeAnna
Jul 02, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good general introduction to process theology. I'm interested in reading more about it!
Wayne