Start by marking “Hooray for Summer!” as Want to Read:
Hooray for Summer!

Hooray for Summer!

A sudden summer thunderstorm sends the squirrel children scampering.

It’s a hot summer afternoon. Nothing is stirring. Not the frogs, not the flowers, not even the grass. Then suddenly birds are flocking overhead. Small animals are racing for shelter. The rain starts pouring down. Thunder booms. Lightning cracks and flashes.    Mick, Mack, and Molly are caught in the mids
Published April 1st 2010 by NorthSouth Books

To ask other readers questions about Hooray for Summer!, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Hooray for Summer!

Anna
Aug 21, 2019 rated it liked it
Very cute illustrations. The animals are absolutely adorable. The story is cute too. I liked how the animals shared the little cave together during the storm and how they huddled during the scary parts. That was so cute.

Although, I didn't like the part where the little mouse cried out "Mommy!". Only because I feel like it's an overused phrase and how it gets mocked with adults. Maybe that's why I don't like it since I'm an adult and I've heard it so many times. To a child it would make sense bec
Brian
Aug 04, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: kids-books
This book was fine. In the middle you are supposed to turn the book sideways to read it. I didnt.
Diana
Jul 01, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: kids, storytime
Summer storms. Just don't get many of these around here. It was an okay book, but it did leave me a little flat. I probably wouldn't use it again.
Carolyn Jeziorski
Jun 27, 2019 rated it liked it
Some little animals get caught in a cave during a summer storm. I read this aloud to students in preschool-2. They all thought there would be something dangerous in the cave, like bears or bats.
Eva
Nov 27, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: ages range from three to eight
Hooray for Summer! depicts friendship and trust that grow among three young squirrel siblings and other young animals through an emergency situation. One day, Mick, Mack, and Molly get caught in a summer thunderstorm, and they find a cave to hide in. In the cave, they meet two little mice and a little rabbit, and help each other to overcome the fear of the summer thunderstorm.
Hooray for Summer! is a picture book for children. The book describes that three young squirrels and other young animals
carissa
It’s a hot summer afternoon. Nothing is stirring. Not the frogs, not the flowers, not even the grass. Then suddenly birds are flocking overhead. Small animals are racing for shelter. The rain starts pouring down. Thunder booms. Lightning cracks and flashes. Mick, Mack, and Molly are caught in the midst of one of the most exciting moments of summer: a sudden summer thunderstorm. It can be scary, but for the three squirrel children, safe and dry in a cave, it brings new friends.
Tina
Aug 05, 2013 rated it liked it
Read this book on August 5th. It was just so-so. Was looking for a book about summer, but this one ended up being more about a summer storm.
Henry said his favorite thing he did this past summer was attending the birthday party of Caroline and the triplets. He loved the obstacle course, eating chocolate bombs, wearing a green cape and mask he decorated, and dressing like Green Lantern.
Anthony
Jul 27, 2016 rated it liked it
Summer fun is interrupted by a sudden storm, bringing surprise, fear, and anxiety to some playful woodland creatures. But as quickly as it begins, it ends bringing a cleansing and leaving behind new friends.
Jess
Jul 25, 2016 rated it liked it
July 2016 - like Bedtime in the Forest, the pictures are charming and the text is serviceable. Ben enjoyed it.
Karina Espinales
Oct 13, 2012 rated it really liked it
This is a great book to use when introducing students to Summer Storms. It is science fiction. It shows an example of helping each other out especially in an emergency. This a great book to talk about why birds leave when there is a storm. This would be a great 2nd grade book.
Susan
Jun 20, 2010 rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-books-jp
Adorable art but misleading title - really mostly about a summer storm and while brief, the story and the storm both, there just seems to be loose ends here and there. Not a necc. for HCL.
Mar 01, 2011 rated it liked it
Cute, and somehow familiar story. We don't get much rain here in the summer.
Donna
Nov 18, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: children-s-books
I know it is almost winter but those darn little squirrels tugged at my heart and I found myself reading about summer. This is an adorable book children will love.
Daniel
Oct 21, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: science
grade:k-1
topic:season

this book talks about some features that we can see during the summer like rainning and hot temperature.
easy to read.
children love it

Hafidha
Feb 09, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: childrens-books
Lovely drawings and cute animals. Kidlet is into mice and squirrels right now so she requests it often even though she often flips through the pages before I can read all the text.
Maia
Sep 14, 2015
Beth Carroll
May 22, 2019
« previous 1 3 next »
Iwamura was born in Tokyo and studied industrial arts at the Tokyo National University of Fine Arts and Music. He is the illustrator of many best-selling picture books in Japan.