Start by marking “The Readers' Advisory Handbook” as Want to Read:
The Readers' Advisory Handbook

The Readers' Advisory Handbook

Covering everything from getting to know a library's materials to marketing and promoting RA, this practical handbook will help you expand services immediately without adding costs or training time. You will find a trove of solid guidance, including how to advise patrons on all kinds of media, from fiction and nonfiction to audiobooks, graphic novels, and reference materia ...more
Published April 1st 2010 by American Library Association (first published January 1st 2010)

To ask other readers questions about The Readers' Advisory Handbook, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Readers' Advisory Handbook

Start your review of The Readers' Advisory Handbook
Jenny
Mar 11, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: library-related
Must have for professional collections for librarians. This book is set up to be read thoroughly (which I highly recommend) or to flip through for chapters that relate to your area. I was fortunate enough to take three RA related workshops taught by one of the authors, Kaite Stover , a couple years ago. I kept every handout she gave. They are all in a binder that I keep at work with me. This book is now beside that binder. Section 2 of the book on reviewing and evaluating materials will come in ...more
Katie Dunneback
Jun 01, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: libraryscience
The usual upfront disclaimers: I'm friends with both editors, went to graduate school with Jessica, in fact, contributed to two of Jessica's other book projects and had been asked to contribute to this one (but had to decline), and I received my copy as a free review copy.

When they called this a Handbook, they were right in every sense of the term. This is truly a practical tool for anyone involved in readers' advisory work. Moyer and Stover have laid the book out logically with each section flo
LeAnn Suchy
Mar 25, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: nonfiction
I had my students read almost every chapter in this book in my Readers' Advisory Services course. It's a great book to include in a course like this because it talks about all the other things that are also included in Readers' Advisory - author visits, book events, passive readers' advisory, book lists, reviewing, etc.

One student came to the first day of my class and said - "I love this book. I think I read every chapter already." She had a ton of post-it notes sticking out of it, too, so know
Neil
Apr 08, 2010 rated it it was amazing
I like this handbook because it acknowledges that readers' advisory is a varied set of skills that must be used to serve a broad variety of readers. The wide range of topics covered here means that every librarian should be able to find some sections to read in which they need improvement. The book would also be very useful to library school students looking for a practical sampler for skill-building in different aspects of reader service. Finally, I like it because it brings together the ideas ...more
Jacqueline
Dec 18, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction, adult
A very helpful resource for librarians for conducting readers' advisory. I found the sections on "how to read a book in 10 minutes," passive readers' advisory, and readers' advisory by proxy especially helpful.
Kristine Olsen
May 06, 2020 rated it really liked it
This was a collection of pieces by various librarians throughout the country. I found the 1st chapter to be a nice review on speed reading a book, something that was covered in one of our all staff days some time ago. Lots of the RA stuff I've been reading seem to be very fond of making lists and such. This proved no exception. An entire section was devoted to creating passive RA items like annotated book lists, book marks and online materials. I'm wondering if it might be worth our while to loo ...more
Garrett
Apr 22, 2018 rated it really liked it
This was my textbook for a class on Readers' Advisory. It's full of great information and details on how to make readers' advisory easier for everyone involve. It also has quite a few "worksheets" for the reader to go through, in order to practice or get a better handle on these techniques.
Elliot
Nov 20, 2017 rated it liked it
Better for reference than general learning; useful for people with limited RA experience or those trying to start related services (book clubs, homebound outreach, book kit building).
Jenny
Jul 27, 2011 rated it liked it
Good book. Useful and practical. Things I want to remember: look up ARRT's Genre Boot Camp (www.arrtreads.org/bootcamp.htm). Bookmarks - an under-utilized resource.

I liked the first couple chapters: how to read a book in 10 minutes, and nonfiction speed dating. I feel like the chapter on how to host author events will come in very handy some day soon - I almost got a premonition that doing that will be in my near future.

Interesting final chapters on RA by Proxy for Teens (you are talking the par
Julie
Aug 02, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Great overview and guide to the many services that make up "readers' advisory," not just face-to-face interaction. This a collection of short essays written by public librarians around the country. Guides and worksheets are often included after their relevant chapters. Major topics include: ideas for promoting books in your collection through bookmarks, posters, displays and programming; how to "read" a novel, graphic novel, or non-fiction title in ten minutes for the purposes of readers' adviso ...more
Heather
Jul 06, 2012 rated it really liked it
This book covers a lot of ground and, although most useful for public libraries, I think academic libraries could get something out of it too.

The sections concentrate on how to rapidly assess books and audiobooks, how to review various formats, what kinds of services to have and how to promote them, and reader's advisory for special populations.
Lisa
May 16, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Moyer and Stover's book covers the wide array of readers' advisory facets: reading materials, reviewing materials, marketing materials, programming, and expanding readers' advisory services. This title is truly a comprehensive guide to modern readers' advisory.
Ryan
Feb 06, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fic
Was required reading for school, but I found it engaging and mostly helpful. Some of the content was a little quaint (ie. "here's how to make an effective bookmark"), but overall it is a solid source. Great for anyone working the frontlines, managing displays, or handling acquisitions.
Feb 06, 2014 rated it really liked it
there's more to your librarian than meets the eye.
Amy Rae
Jun 03, 2014 rated it really liked it
Some of the advice is common-sense stuff that it pains me to pay fifty bucks for. But there's also a lot of useful information in there.
Lillian
Jan 31, 2012 rated it really liked it
A truly excellent resource for librarians who want to focus on readers' services. The chapter by David Wright on adult story time shines above the rest.
Stacey H
Dec 19, 2013 rated it really liked it
Practical take on readers' advisory; really liked it. Good resource.
Pamela Hubbard
A good foundational book for readers' advisory strategies and education.
Lindsay
Jan 13, 2015 rated it liked it
Having worked in libraries for so long now, I didn't learn anything new from this, but it's still chock-full of good tips for new librarians.
Liz De Coster
May 02, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: lis
A great guide for actually doing readers' advisory and integrating it into multiple aspects of library service.
Dontana
Mar 01, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: mlis
Filled with worksheets and useful information to help provide excellent readers advisory service.
Jeff Corrigan

• Rising Strong
  • How to Be an Antiracist
  • The Readers' Advisory Guide to Genre Fiction: Third Edition
  • The Advantage: Why Organizational Health Trumps Everything Else in Business
  • Serpentine (Anita Blake, Vampire Hunter, #26)
  • Dead Ice (Anita Blake, Vampire Hunter, #24)
  • Crimson Death (Anita Blake, Vampire Hunter #25)
  • Dancing (Anita Blake, Vampire Hunter, #22.5)
  • Wounded (Anita Blake, Vampire Hunter #24.5)
  • Beauty (Anita Blake, Vampire Hunter, #20.5)
  • Death by Meeting: A Leadership Fable...about Solving the Most Painful Problem in Business
  • The Pillars of the World (Tir Alainn, #1)
  • Shadows and Light (Tir Alainn, #2)
  • Readers' Advisory Service in the Public Library
  • The House of Gaian (Tir Alainn, #3)
  • The Librarian's Guide to Homelessness: An Empathy-Driven Approach to Solving Problems, Preventing Conflict, and Serving Everyone
  • Dare to Lead
  • Braving the Wilderness: The Quest for True Belonging and the Courage to Stand Alone

News & Interviews