Start by marking “Lecherous Limericks” as Want to Read:
Lecherous Limericks

Lecherous Limericks

Book by Asimov, Isaac
Published September 1st 1975 by Walker & Company (first published 1975)

To ask other readers questions about Lecherous Limericks, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Lecherous Limericks

Start your review of Lecherous Limericks
Manny
There was a young lady from Nyon
Who didn't have anything on
She said, "It's not rude
I'm artistically nude!
So who cares where my knickers have gone?"
I'm sorry, it just happened. I alluded to this infamous book earlier in the week, and today we went on a day-trip to a town a little further down the valley from Geneva...
________________________________

Two more limericks based on Swiss towns, composed on the way to work:
There was a young chap from Lausanne
Received poetry tips from his gran
He said,
Harriet
May 06, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: reviewed
Nothing is better than the king of science fiction sharing his vagina poetry with you.
AndrewP
An unusual collection of 100 limericks written by Asimov. Each one is accompanied by some brief notes on how he came to write it and interesting takes on early versions where the rhyming did not quite fit. At the beginning of the book is a essay on the exact linguistics structure of the Limerick and the rules pertaining thereof.
Nate D
Oct 21, 2018 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Given how little I like Asimov's 'serious' fiction, it should surprise no one that I'm pretty unmoved by his ostensibly sexy limericks. As a gift, there's much to be said for the weird leering-apple-and-bubble-font first paperback edition, less to be said for the poetry, the humor of which doesn't age especially well (obviously), and which fails to benefit from all the musings and annotations on the origins of each which run longer than the poems themselves. I wonder what a feminist inversion of ...more
Liedzeit
Nov 06, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: poetry
Well, this was written in the 70s. Do not expect it to be politically correct. The guy gave us the incredibly useful Chronology of the World in addition to hundreds of good books. So, I at least, am pleased that he allowed himself to have a bit of fun.
Lilamedusa
I had never read anything by Asimov before this, which was probably a mistake. Asimov strikes me as the typical old man everybody idulges but secretly hates. He seems to me a talentless old man who's not even aware of his own unimportance. There are some genuinely funny limmericks there, but in general there is a lot of "look at me, look at me" and I hated it, and even the good ones were ruined by his commentary.
(Notice how I have heroically avoided to mention hi sexism and racism dripping all
David Macpherson
Jul 24, 2014 rated it liked it
I couldn't believe that he wrote more than this book of limericks but four or five others. Lets hear it for tenacity. But my god, the limericks were fine, but for everyone he wrote a few paragraphs about how he wrote it, how he changed it and then some comments that lead him to be a dirty old man, I don't know if it was a character but it got tired fast. His comments about women's lib were interesting and a nice time capsule of opinion from someone living through it but too old to fully ...more
Raja99
Nov 04, 2010 rated it really liked it
Why I Read This Book: I'd been fond of this book for a long time—someone dear to me gave me the hardcover as a birthday gift—but I'd never read it. The Red Cross annual book sale had a copy of the paperback in very good condition, so I bought it; somewhat to my surprise, I ended up reading it cover to cover.

I thoroughly enjoyed this book, at least as much for Asimov's reminiscences as for the limericks themselves.

(Finished 2010-10-07 23:05:40.2 EDT +/- 0.08s. Approximately.)
Greg Santana
Dec 31, 2014 rated it liked it
I like that he explains the structure of a limerick, and goes into detail of how he thought of each one.

Some are fun, others are mediocre, others don't follow the structure he specified at the beginning of the book.

I wish he stuck to the structure more and didn't cheat as much. They can be a bit forced and confusing.

Fun book though. I get a kick just thinking of Asimov writing these down.
Ed
Mar 28, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: humor, poetry
811. 100 limericks from the pen of Asimov with his trademark notes of when and why he wrote them and explanations of what constitutes a limerick. Not bad but not great. The best: A young woman from South Carolina / Placed fiddle strings 'cross her vagina / With the proper-sized cocks / What was sex became Bach's / Toccata and Fugue in D Minor.
Britty Kitty
Some were really funny, some were really just groan worthy. Some he "cheated" on and they only work if you purposely mispronounce some words.

Really, the most interesting part was his description about each one, when he came up with it and why.
Brice Fuqua
Avi
Jan 20, 2017
Jun 04, 2017
Ron Jett
rated it did not like it
Apr 20, 2010
Hank Hoeft
Apr 05, 2019
Dave Williams
Sep 12, 2017

Professor Asimov is generally considered one of the most prolific writers of all time, having written or edited more than 500 books and an estimated 90,000 letters and postcards. He has works published in nine