Start by marking “A Handful of Pearls & Other Stories” as Want to Read:
A Handful of Pearls & Other Stories

A Handful of Pearls & Other Stories

A Handful of Pearls & Other Stories collects nine stories by award-winning author Beth Bernobich, ranging from fantasy to SF to the unclassified.

NOTE: This book is no longer available from Lethe Press. A second edition has been released by the author and is available as an e-book from Amazon and B&N.
ebook
Published June 25th 2010 by Beth Bernobich (first published June 1st 2010)

To ask other readers questions about A Handful of Pearls & Other Stories, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Handful of Pearls & Other Stories

Start your review of A Handful of Pearls & Other Stories
Liviu
Mar 09, 2010 rated it it was amazing
The fourth superb collection I read this year and 2nd published in 2010, A Handful of Pearls stands out by its wonderful, beautiful prose; if it has a theme, it is about strong people who are in a less than privileged position, mostly women in male dominated societies, but not only; it is also about regrets and (sometimes) second chances, with sense of wonder and great characters, while the occasional lighter touches work well too.

Story by story:

Chrysalide (A+)
The opening of the collection gives
Craig
Jul 20, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Bernobich's imagination is awe-inspiring, her prose as smooth as glass, and her craft delicate and careful. The settings range from other planets, to the Regency period, to contemporary. The tales are sometimes whimsical, sometimes dark, always moving. A stellar work of short fiction.
ThomasAH
Aug 24, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The first story (Poison) is somewhat disturbing, but I'm glad I read the other stories as they are really amazing. An unexpected mix of science fiction, fantasy, and what nearly might be the real world. Stories that make you laugh, and stories that let you share some of the pain of the protagonists, sometimes both.
Seregil of Rhiminee
Jun 16, 2012 rated it really liked it
I was interested in reading A Handful of Pearls & Other Stories, because I read earlier Beth Bernobich's fantastic novella Ars Memoriae. I hoped this collection would be good and it was – when I began to read this collection I immediately liked it.

A Handful of Pearls & Other Stories is a good and versatile short story collection, which contains different kind of stories (the stories range from fantasy to science fiction). Some of the stories are better than others, but all stories are fresh and
Victoria
Jun 03, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: review-books
As fantasy short stories go, this collection contains the most genuinely lyrical, well-imagined, and complex assemblage of plotting in the most compelling short stories ever read by this reviewer. None of the stories are really weak; even the ones that are not as compelling are strongly written with clear characterizations and a well-conceived plot. Particular standouts are Remembrance, a space-set-long-distance-romance and the brilliantly voiced Jump to Zion, a soft susurration whose main chara ...more
Mary
Jan 10, 2011 rated it it was ok
Shelves: first-reads, received
I won A Handful of Pearls & Other Stories from First Reads. I look forward to reading it now that its arrived. I'm excited to win this book, its been a while since I've read some good sci fi short stories. ...more
Candice
May 01, 2012 rated it really liked it
A book of short stories.
Steve
Sophie
Jan 09, 2011
Jenne
Jan 10, 2011
Beth Bernobich is a writer, reader, mother, and geek. She loves to tell stories.