Start by marking “Earth User's Guide to Permaculture” as Want to Read:
Earth User's Guide to Permaculture

Earth User's Guide to Permaculture

The principle for permaculture is simple: provide back to the earth what we take from it to create a sustainable environment. The three principle aims are: Care for people; care for the earth; and redistribute everything surplus to one's needs.

This completely revised and updated edition of Rosemary Morrow's highly successful Earth User's Guide to Permaculture is a
Published March 15th 2010 by Permanent Publications (first published January 1st 1994)

To ask other readers questions about Earth User's Guide to Permaculture, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Earth User's Guide to Permaculture

Start your review of Earth User's Guide to Permaculture
Kat
Dec 12, 2012 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: so-bad-i-gave-up
I feel somewhat unfair giving this book such a bad review, but I can only comment on my experience with it. I found it to be a curious mix of immense condescension, airy-fairy nonsense and unapproachable pseudo-science. I wanted to be absorbed, transformed and finish converted to the Way of Permaculture. Instead I feel even more alienated than I did before picking it up. The cutesy illustrations and the meditations masquerading as "homework" exercises, interspersed between dense blocks of ...more
Trent Wiewel
Feb 06, 2015 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
a disturbingly dumbed down version of Bill Mollison's Introduction to Permaculture. If i had read this book first, i would give it another star.... It has some good information despite it seemingly written for 10 year olds.

Full of unneeded repetitions, especially in the bulleted main points at the beginning of each chapter. They made me cringe. maybe also due to the vagueness of the statements.

There are some gems here and there that are not in Bill's book, but those can easily be obtained on
Adam Shand
Feb 29, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: permaculture
This is the best introduction to the concepts and practice of permaculture that I've found. The writing is clear and easy to understand, there are lots of pictures and diagrams to illustrate the concepts which are being taught and each chapter ends with exercises you can work through on your own to develop the relevant skills.

I read it in a single afternoon, but it's actually designed to be a guide through which you slowly work through as you refine and develop the interactions and design of a
Sara McDonald
I read this book as part of my permaculture design course. The layout is like a textbook. I didn't mind the tone of the book as much as some other reviewers, but it wasn't as compelling as the books by Bill Mollison, David Holmgren and Toby Hemenway. Overall, the information presented was valid and helpful, so that bolsters my review a bit. I did find this book encouraging, but it's not a book I would have sought out to read on my own.
Patricia
A bit too much information for the potential permaculturalist with a back yard instead of a back 40, but very thorough and clear in its teachings. The author is Australian, which means that many of the species she uses for examples are not really ones I as an Oregonian would choose, but it's fun to hear her discuss how planting this or that plant will encourage the kangaroos and the wallabies.
Tina
Jul 29, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A really good read - I especially loved the last chapter about social permaculture, something that holds close my heart - as I am a big believer in "The Venus Project".
Justin
Oct 30, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: gardening
Not particularly dense
Lisa
May 09, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A really helpful, hands-on book/workbook about the principles of permaculture. The author is Australian, so there is the occasional reference to plants/animals specific to her region that wouldn't be applicable in a North American setting. This only made the book more engaging for me, as the thought of having to plant things that would deter kangaroo damage was unexplainably entertaining to me. Really solid introduction to permaculture principles, with concrete action steps laid out.
C
Jul 08, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a fantastic overview of the philosophy of permaculture, not a reference book. Reads like a school text, with lots of ways you can implement the ideas.

I was disappointed that it didn't get more specific on how to plant. But if you're new to the idea of permaculture, it's a great starting point.
Sel
May 24, 2011 is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
this book is a great resource for teachers to use for agriculture lessons. It has lots of great information on easy to follow instructions on setting up a permaculture system.the contents page tells me that the book shows how to start a permaculture garden and then tells what the themes are related to permaculture and then how to apply the principles to your everyday gardening experience.
Rosewendy
Fantastic! A wonderful introduction to permaculture. Easy to follow ways of looking at your own space with a view to designing a management plan that will bring you closer to living sustainably with nature in your area.
Brekke
Reading this book for my permaculture course. It's not the one I would have picked myself and after the first chapter I'm already a little hesitant about how it's going to go... :-( I hear great things about the class though, so at least on that I'm confident I'll walk away having learned bunches!
Johanna
A very accessible resource and introduction to Permaculture. I got about half-way through. When I own land again, I'll probably pick it back up and finish it!
Ellen Yarnell
Oct 12, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book is a great introduction to permaculture, very inspiring.
Terri
Oct 19, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Reading this in preparation for permaculture group discussions in my community - the world would be a better place if everyone ate food from their backyard!!
Tim McGilchrist
May 26, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Awesome book.
I'll be using it as a reference for years to come.
Victoria
Sep 01, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Want to reduce your ecological footprint? Then this is the right book. Full of practical suggestions, easy to understand but with depth.
Michelle
It's good, but doesn't really stand apart from any other permaculture book out there...
Carol
Jun 19, 2015
Tom
Apr 12, 2014
M.E. Traylor
rated it did not like it
Jul 24, 2010
Jody Wheeler
Dec 31, 2015

• The Little Book of Living Japanese
  • The Clutter-Free Home: Making Room for Your Life
  • Face Off
  • Someone to Love
  • People of the Whale
  • Practical Permaculture: for Home Landscapes, Your Community, and the Whole Earth
  • Fallen Academy: Year Two (Fallen Academy #2)
  • Quidditch Through the Ages (Hogwarts Library)
  • Love & Misadventure
  • Wild Embers: Poems of Rebellion, Fire and Beauty
  • Life on Mars
  • Lullabies
  • Fallen Academy: Year Three And A Half (Fallen Academy #3.5)
  • House of Sugar, House of Stone
  • Fallen Academy: Year Three (Fallen Academy #3)
  • Educational Foundations: An Anthology of Critical Readings
  • Shadow and Ice (Gods of War, #1)
  • Coyote Stories