Start by marking “Sacred Unions, Sacred Passions: Engaging the Mystery of Friendship Between Men and Women” as Want to Read:

3.97  ·  Rating details ·  31 Ratings  ·  9 Reviews
"Dan Brennan provides a provocative path to rethinking our sexuality and cross-gender friendships. It may be that sex scandals and broken marriages among Christians is the result of a famine in cross-gender friendships. With sensitivity and insight Brennan explores an often uncomfortable topic and what may be the Achilies' heel of Christian relationships. A must read for p ...more
Published February 16th 2010 by Faith Dance Publishing

To ask other readers questions about Sacred Unions, Sacred Passions, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Sacred Unions, Sacred Passions

Adam Shields
Jan 28, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Short review: I think this is a great book that really takes on the need for deep friendships in a modern world and set aside as a special need cross gender friendships. It is so good that I am going to host a blog discussion on it starting April 18, 2011.

I have a couple more books that I will send you free if you participate.

I will update this when the blog discussion is over.

My post about the blog discussion http://bookwi.se/sacred-union-sacred-...
My fuller review on my blog http://bookwi.s
Chris Hubbs
Mar 14, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2011-reads
In just a short book, Dan Brennan makes a strong case for throwing out almost everything you've learned from the evangelical church about cross-gender friendships outside of marriage. While at times it felt like he was trying to stretch his material enough to make it book-length, his argument resonates with me. It's worth considering how much more our own lives (and the church!) would flourish if these friendships were encouraged rather than dismissed.
Jon Mills
Nov 14, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Jesus prayed that his followers would be one in the same way that he and the Father are one yet the Christian community often works to divide us. Men's Bible studies, women's Bible studies, senior groups, married groups, singles groups, Youth groups, ad infinitum.

Jesus said people could tell his followers by how they loved each other, yet much of today's Christian community is fearful of deep love and intimacy with brother and sister christians.

This book explores the deepness and wonder of a c
Doug
Jun 21, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: relationships
"At it's core, this is a book about friendship, and about challenging us to do friendship better. I think the second paragraph of the foreword sums it up well: 'While the concept of friendship has been expanded to such a degree that it has largely been diluted, the concept of intimacy has been narrowed to mean primarily sexual intimacy, and within the Christian community, exclusive marital sexual intimacy.'" Click here to continue reading my review.
Ruth
Feb 08, 2015 added it
There's a lot to like here, a lot I still need to chew on, and a lot that I'm still not sure about. I'm on board with a lot of what Brennan says, but probably not with all of it, at least not to the fullest extent. I do agree with the main thesis, though -- that "chaste, passionate, enduring male-female friendships bear witness to the powerful, redemptive love which should be normative, not exceptional, for [God's] people."
Michelle
Sep 18, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: christianity
This book invites us to rethink Christian relationships, specifically Christian friendships, and especially those friendships between members of the opposite sex. This book laid out clearly some of the thoughts I have had around friendships for some time. For those in opposite sex friendships trying to understand their value in a religious setting that condemns them, this is a great read.
Adrienne
Nov 29, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: religion, non-fiction
"Yet, the story of Christ must not allow Freud to have the final word on sexuality and friendship."
AND
"When the husband-wife model is exalted as the only relationship where passionate oneness occurs, we have set up false boundaries of safety, romance, and male-female intimacy."
Rick
Feb 01, 2016 rated it really liked it
This book will cause great conversations for years to come.
Swilder
Jun 16, 2010 marked it as to-read
On my TBR now. Been hearing quite a lot of buzz on this one.
Vikki