Start by marking “Asana Pranayama Mudra Bandha” as Want to Read:
Asana Pranayama Mudra Bandha

Asana Pranayama Mudra Bandha

Asana Pranayama Mudra Bandha is recognised internationally as one of the most systematic yoga manuals today. Since it's first publication by the Bihar School of yoga in 1969 it has been reprinted thirteen times and translated into many languages. It is the main reference text used by Yoga teachers and students of Bihar Yoga/Satyananda Yoga within the International Yoga Movenet, ...more
Paperback, 12th edition, 544 pages
Published November 1st 2002 by Bihar School of Yoga (first published 1969)

To ask other readers questions about Asana Pranayama Mudra Bandha, please sign up.
Sarasvati If you're interested in HaTha yoga practice; this is the book to begin your journey. It is to the point. It guides you through levels. It has a clear…moreIf you're interested in HaTha yoga practice; this is the book to begin your journey. It is to the point. It guides you through levels. It has a clear scientific-spiritual approach about body-mind function. ॐ नमः शिवाय (less)

Start your review of Asana Pranayama Mudra Bandha
Craig Shoemake
Nov 03, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: yoga, hinduism, asanas
This is the third asana practice based book I've reviewed, the others being Iyengar's classic Light on Yoga (LoY) and Yoga: The Spirit and Practice of Moving into Stillness by Erich Schiffmann. This yoga manual (the back cover refers to it as a "reference text") from the Bihar School of Yoga is heavy on substance and light on frills.

What I mean is clear as soon as you open the book. Instead of photos of lithe yogins and yoginis (think Schiffmann) or intimidating poses of Iyengaresque
Bernie Gourley
Mar 06, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: yoga
Asana Pranayama Mudra Bandha [APMB] is one of two textbooks used in a yoga teacher training course I recently attened. The other text is BKS Iyengar’s Light on Yoga. Iyengar’s book is one of the most well-known yoga books in the world, and I, therefore, expected that I would prefer Light on Yoga to the much more utilitarian looking APMB—a book that you’re unlikely to find at your local bookseller (unless, like me, you live in India—in which case it is quite popular.) However, having now read both books, I think I would gi[] ...more
Fiona
Jul 14, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Any student of Yoga seeking to explore the holistic benefits of practice.
Throughout the past eighteen months I have discovered, in this book, a wonderful aide and reliable companion to my daily practice of Yoga. Published by The Bihar School of Yoga since 1969, the versatile format of Asana Pranayama Mudra Bandha should appeal to a beginner, intermediate or an advanced student of Yoga. Comprehensive yet clear, step-by-step and illustrated directions on the way in which each of the exercises should be performed enable the reader to pursue Yoga practice both safely and mindf ...more
Kumari De Silva
May 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Wonderful book for anyone hoping to create a home yoga practice. Seriously, good for absolute beginners but even people who have been taking yoga lessons for several years will be pleasantly surprised how much they can learn from this book originally written in the 1960s.

The first few chapters are a short introduction, then an easy sequence of yoga designed to keep the joints loose. Anyone, everyone can enjoy the first sequence. I was able to do the whole thing the first day I picked up the boo
Asmita Saini
Apr 12, 2016 rated it really liked it
Asana, Pranayam, Mudra, Bandha by Satyananda Saraswati, is one of the best books on Hatha Yoga.The author is a pioneer yogi in the tradition of Bihar School of Yoga(BSY). This book is an excellent handbook for any beginner interested in yoga or for any yoga practitioner since it consists of well written guidelines on a wide variety of yogic practices, including the description of the technique, do's and don'ts, the benefits and contra indications.The book comprises of yogic practices for 3 level ...more
Ymazing
Jan 09, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This book is a recommended reading for my Yoga Teacher Training Programme.
1) I really like the classification of poses into beginner, intermediate and advanced. This helps one in practising with caution, to prevent injuries.
2) Benefits,cautions ,contraindications are clearly mentioned for each asana, which are valuable for any self practitioner.
A practical book to buy, this is my go-to book for all Class assignments.
Paloma
Oct 23, 2018 rated it did not like it
The book itself is good, but im giving it 1 star because Swami Satyananda has been found to have abused women and children and Bihar School of Yoga continues to turn a blind eye to the victims. DO NOT SUPPORT THIS ORGANISATION
Tina Rose
Feb 16, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: food-health
This was one of the books used when I was studying to become certified in hatha yoga. Wonderful! It surely was hard to get a hold of. This is a great reference for any yoga teacher. Each pose explains how to do it, and has a drawing and explains the benefits of each pose.
Sarasvati
"The room was filled with
Hundreds of devotees
When Chow Ling asked:
Why are you worshipping the teapot
Instead of drinking the tea?”
~ Wu Hsin

This manual will absolutely help you start drinking the tea.

ॐ नमः शिवाय
Sian Lile-Pastore
Mar 27, 2015 rated it really liked it
Well that was good! Informative and yet easy to read. Really enjoyed it, tho flinched a little when I got to the anal cleansing part - " gently insert the root of a raw turmeric plant into the anus"....
Vanessa
Nov 10, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Such a great resource! There is at least one full page of description and background on each asana/pranayama/mudra/bandha. It also describes all 6 shatkarmas, which I would probably not do with the guidance of a book, but very interesting to read about.
Andrea Holck
Mar 25, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: mind-spirit
It took me a long time to work through this book, and I will keep it by my mat as a reference. Most detailed, balanced guide to traditional yoga practice (asana, pranayama, mudra, Banda and the yogic philosophy) that I've read.
Alasdair Andrew
Mar 28, 2013 rated it it was amazing
A reference book that beats all other.
Rick Berman
Jan 23, 2016 rated it really liked it
A textbook of asanas...lucidly explained.
Rachel
Aug 26, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fictrion, 2014
I did three days of silence and read this doing a lot of the asana as well.

Great reference book - easy explanations so much info.
destanie
Feb 22, 2010 rated it it was amazing
I had no idea a yoga manual could be this helpful. Of course, you should have some yoga background, but both the explanations and pictures are remarkably clear.
Andrea Ellis
Nov 07, 2011 rated it it was amazing
You cannot live without this book if you are seriously into your yoga - its never far away from me and is used for reference constantly! every yoga teacher I know has this in their bag!
Archana
Apr 15, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Terrific book for those interested in Yoga asanas and its philosophy. very helpful for layman too.
Luana Goulart
Oct 26, 2016 rated it really liked it
Very good book, with a lot.of explanations about the practice and philosophy of yoga.
Randi Hope
Nov 30, 2009 rated it it was amazing
This book goes everywhere with me.
Sid
Oct 12, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Alternative Course Manual for yoga teachers training. Basic and handy book for a beginner in yoga
Paden
Jul 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Simple and easy to read and understand. It helped me immensely with my Yoga Teachers Training Course. Highly recommend it to those who are just starting to explore Yoga.
Siddhartha Mishra
May 13, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Ultimate book on yoga . Very nicely described in a very simple way. I feel its a more authenticated by a Master like Sw Satyananda.
Sagar Mazumdar
Mar 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Excellent book to learn Asanana. Explained in simple language with illustrations
Rajesh Arumugam
Apr 23, 2019 rated it really liked it
A wonderful guide with pictorial demonstrations to all yoga practices as well as detailed guidance on procedure, awareness, contraindications, benefits etc. Heard from my Yogamaster that this book is a textbook for undergraduates studying Yoga Science.
Omkar Pai
Jul 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Contains step by step manual on various yoga asanas, pranayama and ifs and dont abt them. 1step guide for yoga learners. Dont buy anything else.
Erik
May 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Experience through practise. This book gives you all that. You will inform this book for the rest of your life, and the next.
Vineeta
Jul 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Little bit lengthy but quite good in explanation of asanas and breathing techniques.
Tom
Jul 17, 2009 added it
Excellent textbook-like compendium of yoga information. Best for readers who already have reasonable background. Some terminology is rather unfamiliar, but there's quite a bit of information I haven't seen in other yoga books.
Ramdas
Aug 07, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This is an incredibly simple yet comprehensive resource of asanas, pranayama & mudras with clear and simple directions for practitioners, both novice and expert with a guide towards the end outlining specific exercises to address health related issues. A great referral source; highly recommended.

• Hatha Yoga Pradipika
  • Light on Yoga
  • Yoga Anatomy
  • Yoga Nidra
  • The Yoga Sutras
  • Light on Prãnãyãma: The Yogic Art of Breathing
  • Yoga Mala: The Seminal Treatise and Guide from the Living Master of Ashtanga Yoga
  • Light on the Yoga Sūtras of Patañjali
  • The Yoga Bible: The Definitive Guide to Yoga
  • Light on Life
  • Anatomy of Movement
  • Yoga and the Quest for the True Self
Swami Satyananda Saraswati was a sannyasin, yoga teacher and guru in both his native India and the West. He founded the International Yoga Fellowship in 1956 and the Bihar School of Yoga in 1963. He has authored over 80 books, including the well-known Asana Pranayama Mudra Bandha, recognised internationally as one of the most systematic yoga manuals today. Since its first publication by the Bihar ...more