Start by marking “Ghost of a Chance (Ghost Finders, #1)” as Want to Read:
Ghost of a Chance (Ghost Finders, #1)

Ghost of a Chance

(Ghost Finders #1)

The Carnacki Institute exists to "Do Something" about Ghosts - and agents JC Chance, Melody Chambers, and Happy Jack Palmer will either lay them to rest, send them packing, or kick their nasty ectoplasmic arses with extreme prejudice.

Their current assignment: investigate a major haunting deep underground at London's Oxford Circus Tube Station. Difficult - and dangerous - e
Published August 31st 2010 by Ace (first published January 1st 2010)

Ahmad Sharabiani
Ghost of a Chance (Ghost Finders, #1), Simon R. Green
Simon Richard Green (born 25 August 1955) is a British science fiction and fantasy author.
تاریخ نخستین خوانش: پنجم ماه جولای سال 2015 میلادی
عنوان: شکارچیان شبح - کتاب 1 - شبح شانس؛ نویسنده: سیمون آر. گرین؛ مترجم: علی مصلح حیدرزاده؛ تهران، ویدا، 1394؛ در 262 ص؛ شابک: 9786002911308؛ موضوع: داستانهای نویسندگان انگلیسی قرن 21 م
اشباح. آنها همیشه دور و بر ما میپلکند. به اَشکال گوناگون و با جلوه ها و اصوات عجیب و غریب ظاهر میشوند و سرگردان هستند. از
Elizabeth
Oct 01, 2010 rated it did not like it
I would like my $7.99 plus tax back, please. Oh, and the hours I spent reading this book.
I love Simon R. Green's "Nightside" series and a number of his other novels, but "Ghost of a Chance" was beyond horrible. I'm pretty sure he spent all of one evening writing it, because it lacks anything resembling character development, plot cohesion, or to be perfectly honest, logic. I guess we all need a paycheck.
Colleen
Aug 26, 2010 rated it did not like it
Shelves: ghost, mystery, skimmed
I have to say that I am really surprised that this book only just came out in 2010. The book is so badly written that I would have expected that this work to be an authors 1st novel.

Besides the bad writing, the characters are extremely unlikeable....and they keep repeating the same thing through out the book, (paraphrasing) "oh, I don't know who the bad guy is but he is old, really old, I wonder who it could be..." Blah

I've heard good things about the nightside series, I sincerely hope its writ
Donna
Sep 01, 2010 rated it did not like it
A kinky geek girl, a pill-popping psychic, and their annoyingly optimistic leader walk into a haunted tube station in London to face both an unusual haunting and a pair of mortal opponents. I found the ghost-hunters idea interesting, because Green's other urban fantasy books have mostly focused on one central person rather than a team. Unfortunately, a dragging storyline and barely-characterized players made this a tedious read even given its short page count.

The three leads have only a couple o
Craig
Feb 03, 2019 rated it really liked it
This is a fun, light urban fantasy, the first of a series. It has the feel of an older style of book, the kind of thing Ron Goulart was doing in the late '70s. It has a fairly standard set-up, a trio of paranormal investigators who work for the Carnacki Institute (great name!), which is a secret organization housed in Buckingham Palace. It's all great fun, with lots of side-jokes and clever bantering between the mostly-likeable characters (and a sly Hawkwind reference!) There's nothing too meani ...more
P. Kirby
Jul 31, 2011 rated it it was ok
Shelves: urban-fantasy
I am going to assume, given his long body of work and fan base, that Simon R. Green is capable of writing a damn fine yarn. I'm going to assume that Ghost of a Chance is the result of the unfortunate intersection of an author getting a nice, fat advance for a story proposal with that author's inability to connect with his characters. Because--day-yum--this was bad.

There are some neat ideas in Ghost of a Chance--the fusion of technology and magic, elder gods who are more "real" than reality--but
Elspeth
I don't know what it is about this book, I have tried to read it a couple of times now. It just doesn't hold my interest, and Green isn't nearly as funny as he thinks he is.
Squee
Feb 04, 2013 rated it did not like it
I'm starting to think that I'm some kind of literary masochist. The last several books I've read have been downright painful, and Ghost of a Chance does nothing to break my unlucky streak.

The book starts out with the three main characters setting up shop for some ghost catching. Cue the clumsy infodump summarizing each character. There's a rapid buildup for something scary--it's terrifying and off the scales and eeeeeeevil! But their leader, stereotypically brash, oh-so-handsome and overconfide
JC
Oct 04, 2010 rated it did not like it
Do NOT buy this book! (I want my $8 back) Don't even check it out from the library, as you may throw it behind your bed in a fit of disgust, forget it's there, and then have to pay a fine. It's not even worth the nickel you'd have to pay.

I think the publisher was so desperate for a new Simon R. Green series that they took his first draft and just edited it for spelling and grammar and published it.

The dialog between the characters is stilted with the only interesting bits coming when they're bic
Carly
May 08, 2013 rated it it was ok
**edited 02/01/14

Sigh. I've now read at least one book in most of Simon R. Green's major series, and I think I'm going to give up. I find the concepts of his books tantalizing in general, and even though there's nothing I fundamentally dislike about his books, I'm just somehow the wrong audience type.

Ghost of A Chance is an urban-fantasy action adventure story--basically what you'd get if you mashed together Ghostbusters with James Bond.

HERE IS YOUR BOOK, SHOULD YOU CHOOSE TO ACCEPT IT.

THE MISS
سیده زهرا
Jul 31, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
هرچقدر کتابای ژانرای دیگه رو طول میکشه تا بخونم، کتابای فانتزی رو نمیتونم زمین بذارم.
از این نویسنده قبلا سری کتابای نایت ساید رو خونده بودم و لذتی که بردم حد و حصر نداشت.
ولی این کتاب اول با اینکه بسیار هیجان انگیز بود توقعم رو برآورده نکرد.
حالا یا واقعا ضعیف تره یا به این خاطره که نایت سایدو تو سن کمتری خوندم ولی کلا نایت سایدو هنوزم خیلی دوس دارم.
ماجرای کتاب ماجرای سه تا به قولی شبح گیره که برای شرکتی کار میکنن که با تهدیدات ماورائی مبارزه میکنه.
یه ویژگی بارزی که کلا کتابای این نویسنده داره، ای
Caressa
Feb 21, 2011 rated it did not like it
Ok, I know not to judge a book by its cover, but honestly, who hasn't picked up a novel because the jacket art was compelling? Or likewise passed on an amazing sci-fi or fantasy novel because the jacket was ridiculous? Whoever did the artwork for this novel ought to be fined for dishonesty in advertising. My husband was startled when I started laughing hysterically two pages into the story. Yep, it was when I read the physical descriptions of our "heroes." Melody, depicted on the jacket as a bux ...more
Verybad Pixie
Oct 29, 2014 rated it did not like it
Such a promising premise, such a rubber stamped, ridiculous waste of time.

In short:
* No character development.
* Repetition, repetition, repetition, repetition, repetition etc.
* Immediately after we're told-not shown but told outright that a character has a completely barren love life with no end in sight-a main character falls in love in about a minute. As far as I can tell, it's because she's attractive.
* Female characters are broadly drawn, shallow and the same from book to book.
* Having just
Chris
Nov 30, 2014 rated it did not like it
Made it to page 66, then put it down for a few weeks and have no interest in going back to it. Elspeth's review nails it.
Kori Klinzing
Nov 15, 2010 rated it it was ok
Shelves: specfic, mystery, ugh
LJ
Nov 03, 2010 rated it did not like it
First Sentence: These days, ghosts turn up in the damnedest places.

Members of the Carnacki Institute JC Chance, team leader; Melody Chambers, scientist; and telepath Happy Jack Palmer; are in the London Underground due to an entity are up against employees from the Crowley Project as well as something evil in the London Underground causing the trains to eat the passengers.

I thought this would be the perfect book to read in October and it started off well. The first chapter is passive enough yet
Nov 14, 2010 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: urban-fantasy
With this book, Simon R Green has proven, without a doubt, that he is unable to right contemporary urban fantasy that does not extend beyond his Nightside and Hidden Secrets series. I applaud him for trying to create a story line that is distinctly more realistic then the above...but in the end, he resorts back to his same horrors that lurk in his other better known, and much better written series.

The concept has some potential, I admit. But the characters lacked any development and were horrib
Tina ➹ the girl who lives in Fandoms (Book.Enchantress)
it was my first detective supernatural story I read (I just watched detective or supernatural TV shows before.)
it was cool totally, but better at first.
there was very simple dialogues between characters.
but the story was interesting. I'm going to read the others too.
my fav character is J.C!😍
Armina
May 07, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Meh.. it was fun, but didn’t mean anything.
Laura Martinelli
Jul 12, 2011 rated it did not like it
Karissa
Dec 30, 2010 rated it it was ok
I really love Simon Green's Nightside and also liked the first book in his Secret Histories Series (the only one I have read in that series so far). So when I heard he was starting a new paranormal series called Ghost Finders, I was eager to read the first book in the series. Overall it was okay, Green has created an interesting world but the characters were a bit cliche and hard to distinguish. I was hoping for more, but what was here is a start.

The book follows two teams of "ghost-hunters". Th
Neil
Dec 09, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: urban-fantasy
Ghost Of A Chance, released in August 2010, is the First Book in Simon R. Green's Ghost Finder's series, and focuses on the Carnacki Institute, an English institution housed in Buckingham Palace and governed under royal decree to protect the realm from ghosts. The series takes place in a contemporary setting, sharing a timeline and 'verse' with Green's other franchises, including the Nightside and Secret Histories. This is actually a big deal.

Green's universe includes magic, time travel and futu
Dangermousie
This start of a new series follows a team of ghost-hunters working for Carnacki Institute. The reviews have been mixed, but I am obsessed - you'll like this if you like typical Green, i.e., some wisecracking and snark, some heroics, some flawed psycho protagonists of both genders, an OTP which is violent and devoted, some worldbuilding (though this has less world-building than his Nightside series), standing up for the cause of right, awful bad guys, creeeeeeepy monsters etc.

I think by now, I r
David Palazzolo
Oct 26, 2010 rated it really liked it
A nice start to what promises to be a fun series blending the pop-culture trend of extreme parapsychology and the 'secret agent' game. Our heroes, JC Chance, Melody Chambers and "Happy" Jack Palmer work for the Carnacki Institute (a kind of paranormal MI-5 or Interpol or--if you know the series--Torchwood), and are set out worldwide to defuse hauntings and other supernatural phenomena beyond the influence of your ordinary occultist. The first chapter is a 'mini-episode' meant to introduce us to ...more
Jonathan Appleton
Sep 28, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: read-in-2014
Three stars might be on the generous side, but I like Simon R. Green. Ok, I have a love/hate relationship with Simon R. Green.
I am a sucker for a well-constructed Universe. When I read the first Nightside book by him, I loved the new universe he created as the evil underside of London.
There is a concept in acting called overacting. I don’t know if this is the same in writing (over-writing doesn’t have a good ring to it), but that is what Simon R. Green does. His use of superlatives get annoying
Totoro
Sep 03, 2016 rated it did not like it
Shelves: dropped
it's the second series i've read by Simon R.Green. well i expected so much more than just a copy of Nightside. the main protagonist was a lot like John Taylor in nightside. the comedy the same, i almost knew the rhythm of the story and the events and it bored me.
almost the whole story occurs in the subways, i literally hate the subways , and i had to spend 200 pages down there :(
the other characters also were like the ones in the nightside, and i think it's safe to say i liked the nightside bet
RedPaint Spilman
Sep 15, 2010 rated it really liked it
Bought this and read it last weekend. It was fun and quick paced. A typical Simon R. Green novel. Like most of his novels, character motivation is a bit sketchy. Hopefully like his other series, you get to know and understand them much better as the series progresses. I've liked all of the books by Simon R. Green that I have read, I just wish he would provide a little more detail sometimes about the why of things and not just tell you how it is and move on.
Limejuize
This was a fun read that I couldn't put down. I literally read it in 3 hours. While I think the series has potential it isn't fully there just yet. It tends to be a bit repetitive and formulaic but overall I still recommend it.
Tasula
Dec 20, 2018 rated it did not like it
I read most but couldn't finish it, there was too much puerile banter, too much repetition and nothing happening. Green's characters are always over the top, which is fine for a fantasy, but this book just seemed to me to consist of filler and juvenile silliness.
Jenn
Mar 11, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: If you like Jim Butcher, you will like Simon R. Green
Hi,
I am a huge fan of Simon R. Green and I have read most of his books. I do like his series’ because they go on for several books and I like to get story development that goes so far in depth that you really feel like you know these characters. I do have my favorites!
This is a new book starting a new series and I could not put it down. I loved it. The series is called “Ghost Finders” and this first book is “Ghost of a Chance.”
First, you have a whole new set of characters and they are not like
  • Dead Streets (Matt Richter #2)
  • Pet Shop of Horrors: Tokyo, Volume 3 (Pet Shop of Horrors: Tokyo, #3)
  • Doppelgangster (Esther Diamond, #2)
  • In Dreams Begin (Harrowing #2)
  • The Grimrose Path (Trickster, #2)
  • In the House of the Wicked (Remy Chandler, #5)
  • Witch Way to the Mall
  • Sacrifice (Mortal Path, #2)
  • Desolate Angel
  • Death Most Definite (Death Works Trilogy #1)
  • Afterlife: The Resurrection Chronicles
  • Inhuman Resources (OSI, #3)
  • Blood Blade (Skinners, #1)
  • Grimm Fairy Tales Vol. 9
  • Eyes to See (Jeremiah Hunt, #1)
  • Time Dancers (The Meq, #2)
  • The Road (Being Human, #1)
  • Fire Caste
Simon Richard Green is a British science fiction and fantasy-author. He holds a degree in Modern English and American Literature from the University of Leicester. His first publication was in 1979.

His Deathstalker series is partly a parody of the usual space-opera of the 1950s, told with sovereign disregard of the rules of probability, while being at the same time extremely bloodthirsty.

Excerpted

Ghost Finders (6 books)
  • Ghost of a Smile (Ghost Finders, #2)
  • Ghost of a Dream (Ghost Finders, #3)
  • Spirits from Beyond (Ghost Finders, #4)
  • Voices from Beyond (Ghost Finders, #5)
  • Forces from Beyond (Ghost Finders, #6)
“They thought he was scared all the time because he was a coward. The truth was, only he could see the world clearly enough to know how truly scary it was.” 5 likes
“Ghosts are the only ones who never have to feel scared. Because the worst thing in the world has already happened to them.” 4 likes