Start by marking “Beautiful Darkness (Caster Chronicles, #2)” as Want to Read:
Beautiful Darkness (Caster Chronicles, #2)

Beautiful Darkness

(Beautiful Creatures #2)

3.84  ·  Rating details ·  116,687 ratings  ·  6,871 reviews
Ethan Wate used to think of Gatlin, the small Southern town he had always called home, as a place where nothing ever changed. Then he met mysterious newcomer Lena Duchannes, who revealed a secret world that had been hidden in plain sight all along. A Gatlin that harbored ancient secrets beneath its moss-covered oaks and cracked sidewalks. A Gatlin where a curse has marked ...more
Published October 12th 2010 by Little, Brown and Company

·  116,687 ratings  ·  6,871 reviews

mark monday
Feb 24, 2011 rated it it was ok
well, i am reading a paranormal romance written for teenage girls. so sue me!

i would love to give this book 1 star and just forget about it, for so many reasons:

- despite the potentially interesting role reversal happening (mysterious supernatural GIRL meets weepy, slack-jawed BOY), the dialogue between the two is just as mawkish and hand-wringy as bella & edward.
- my God, two authors and two pages of credits to supporters of this project, and they still don't know how to write? hello, ther
Miranda Reads
Big Puddle of Meh
description
Don't get me wrong, I enjoyed (parts) of this one. It was (mostly) a fun read but every time I started to get into this one, I'd run into one of my pettiest pet peeves .

This book was just chock-full of 1) coincidences, 2) because reasons and 3) all-encompassing true love (well, until hot-girl #2 showed up).

1) The Coincidences

The sheer amount of well-timed coincidences drove me mad. It just felt so convenient and lazy.

Case and point: Ancient magic designed to repel anyone
Cara
Mar 16, 2010 rated it really liked it
These books DO NOT disappoint. Every time I finish one I'm always a bit emotionally drained and the authors always dangle something in front of you, so you almost have to read the next one to keep your sanity intact.

Ethan and Lena just barely made it out alive from Lena's last Claiming, and things are not the same. Lena is grieving over the loss of Macon and Ethan can feel she is slipping away from him. She's starting to hang out with Ridley and this strange guy named John. Before Ethan can
kari
Jan 21, 2011 rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2011, ya
Charlotte May
3.5 ⭐

"There were too many things out there to be afraid of, too many to fight. It was a wonder anyone in Gatlin slept at all."

I enjoyed this return into the Caster world, with all the old characters as well as some new faces. After the drama caused at Lena's sixteenth birthday, everything in the Caster world has changed, and no one is prepared.
Evil forces are at work - Sarafine is up to her tricks, and Lena has still not chosen whether she will be a light or a dark caster.
Her relationship with
Joyzi
Aug 17, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Peeps who don't mind emo girl and gay boy
Recommended to Joyzi by: Goodreads
MY WTB NON-SPOILER REVIEW

Seriously? This Book, three words honey---What The Buck!!!---(Can't bucking believe I'm using this pseudo-curse BUCK YOU! YOUTUBE)

what the buck fo show! Pictures, Images and Photos

Well what can I say O_o???

*speechless for a moment*

This book is totally bad-ass, awesome, epic, pawned, heart-stopping, hair-raising, spine-tingling, thrilling, electrifying, breath taking, totally wicked yada yada. I can go on and on but I think my limited vocabulary won't do it justice.

Stars speak for yourself. Ah Hello! Hi there Blindy! L
Kristi
Mar 18, 2010 rated it really liked it
Oh, how I've missed you Gatlin. The one thing that really stands out to me about this series... isn't the incredible cast of characters or the engrossing story.... it's the setting. I LOVE GATLIN. I want to live there.... eat Amma's pies, ride in Link's Beater to the Dar-ee Keen, waft in the scent of lemon trees at Ravenwood. There is something truly addicting about Gatlin... and I often find it hard to withdrawal from the world within the pages.

Beautiful Darkness is one word is intense. So much
Krys

Beautiful Darkness is a reread for me. I read it first in July of 2010, when I couldn't talk about the book because everything I might talk about could be construed as a spoiler. Sitting down to type this now, however, I realize that pretty much everything I can say about this book even now is an actual spoiler, and that makes it hard to write a review that will not offend someone.

But I'm going to try. Because I can. And because my previous boasty review of this needs to be stricken.

* Spoilers
Sandy
WHAT ABOUT LIV???

Like Beautiful Creatures, this sequel drew me in with the lush, vivid descriptions and fascinating characters. However, Beautiful Darkness suffers from the same problems that plagued its predecessor: uneven pacing and a confusing ending that solves few of the problems that have been building up for 500 pages. And who am I kidding--I'm knocking off a star for my favorite character, Liv, who really gets shafted in this book.

The delightful supporting cast is my favorite part of thi
Marnie  Krüger
I'm still totally captivated by this series.
The dept and complexity of the plot just keeps getting better and better. There is so much more to this book and answers so many of the questions I had in the first book.

So why the four star rating? Well Lena.
I just couldn't like her in this book and I'm not sure I want to like her. And she influence everyone around her to be lesser of what I would like them to be. This is actually a excellent quality the writers have, to portray this influence so corr
Michael
Mar 23, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Another enjoyable book from Kami Garcia and Margaret Stohl! Yay!

I must admit, Beautiful Darkness took much longer for me to get into than Beautiful Creatures. Garcia and Stohl tend to throw plenty of description and information at the reader for the first three hundred pages, and makes you think, How is this all going to come together? However, they weave that into a heart-stopping climax that makes you regret ever doubting them in the first place. This novel is quite different that the last boo
Stacia (the 2010 club)
If the whole book had been like the last 80 pages, it might have received a higher rating from me. Unfortunately, I just didn't enjoy the fact that the two main characters were pretty much separated for most of the story.

Having to accompany Ethan on his journey to "save" Lena was a long, drawn out process. The group was searching, then back home, searching, then back home. I started skimming after a while.

The highlight of Beautiful Darkness was the complicated relationship between Ridley and Lin
Caru
Oct 30, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Rating: 5 Stars

My Opinion of this Book: WOW. This one definitely surprised me. A lot of improvement over the first book.
__________________________________________________

I'll be honest, I wasn't expecting much from this book. Yeah, the first book was good, but that's it, it was just good. I couldn't get into Beautiful Creatures until over the 250 page mark, it was so slowwwwww. The ending on that one is what saved the book for me. But damn was I shocked when I read Beautiful Darkness! Sure, it
Kt
Oct 14, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: hardcopy, signed
After not being claimed for darkness like she feared, you would expect Lena to be happy to be able to stay with Ethan. However her guilt from her Uncle's death is threatening to consume her and causes Lena to pull further and further away from Ethan. When Ethan starts having mysterious visions again, this time without Lena, he knows she is in trouble, but he just isn't sure what the danger really is. When Lena really starts to take a turn for the worst, Ethan may just be the only person who can ...more
Rollie
Nov 15, 2010 rated it liked it
New mysterious student.

Hot.

Pale.

Love story.

Crap. Aren’t we all tired of this formula at the beginning? Basically, from what I listed above, you could immediately think of twilight. Talking about it, it’s really sad that lots of writers do influenced by twilight that no matter how original the concept they have, you could still notice stain from twilight.

However, I’m guessing the authors’ references in making this book are the following:
Twilight. I mentioned it already.

Harry Potter. Remember the
Neil (or bleed)
Apr 28, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Beautiful Darkness is a very much appropriate title.

Beautiful Darkness started very dark. The darkness of melancholy, grief and sorrow. And I can't blame Lena for being so emotional with the loss. I knew the feeling, to be honest. Then the following chapters continued to go dark. Darkness as in real darkness.

There are interesting characters that has been summoned in this second book of the Beautiful Creatures series:

LIV: She is actually my favorite in here. Her wit and knowledge contributed a l
Ceilidh
Dec 19, 2010 rated it it was ok
I am sorry to say it was a disappointment. The first book had moments of pacing difficulties but here they seemed to spiral out of control. There was no real beginning, middle or end to the story; it all just dragged out and felt like it was pushed together out of scraps of story and scenes. This book is over 500 pages long and you feel each of those 500+ pages, especially since the plot seems to have wandered off somewhere. Everything wandered from one scene to another with no real order or poi ...more
Marija *I'm The Story Of The One You Used To Love*
Oh. My. God. This was even better than the first one! I know that Lena was a major bitch and whiny like hell but it was so moving that I couldn't stop reading it. Even if I needed 5 days to finish it. Real world got in the way -.-

Guess what? We have a love triangle! Surprise, surprise. I don't count John Breed as a part of any love interest (he's mine!!!!) so let's say that triangle consist of Lena, Ethan and someone else. You'll have to read the book to find out. Yes, I'm that evil. Though, in
☆High Lady of The Night Court☆
I HAVE NOW OFFICIALLY FALLEN IN LOVE WITH THIS SERIES!!!
This book started of pretty slow but once the plot started I was hooked. The world of the Casters and their history and everything gets even more complicated and interesting and l loved it.
We are introduced to new characters who are very fascinating( some good, some BAD). And I just have say this, the poems just keep coming don't they(not that I mind them- i like them).
Ethan is, honestly, an amazing person. He doesn't give up, is brave, an
CHris.T.o.S
Oct 31, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The Caster CHronicles are going to be the next HArry POTTer Series,seriously.Amazing!!!!!Very colourfull characters,full of secrets,revelations,plot twists.Uhm...the new adds (wont say anything) are tremendous.I can't say anything because it will be full of spoilers.just get to the end.I am a huge fan,i believe that this can become a fantastic film.Du no..... fantastic writters plot. etch etch.Just amazing and much more better than the fantastic first one.In a few words:THUMBS UP!!!!

ps.Sorry i c
~Tina~
Loved this!

Beautiful Darkness is like drinking a cup of hot cocoa. It's rich, smooth and made to be drunk read slowly to savor ever delicious word.

Struggling with the loss of her Uncle's death, Lena is very different from the first book. In a nut shell? She's lost. Very.Very Lost.
I have to admit, I was pretty frustrated with her character through out most of this book, but her journey was necessary to find her true path.
Ethan totally owned this one. His love, his strength and his courage was som
AH
What a sombre, dreary beginning.

That was my first update on this book and unfortunately the first 200 pages are just that: Sombre, dreary, with lots of crying and sadness. I wanted to like this book. I really did. I liked its predecessor Beautiful Creatures. But this book just didn’t do it for me.

Why the 3 star rating? There were a lot of things that I did enjoy in the book:

I liked the Caster magic and lore. Every reference to Caster magic was interesting and well thought out. I liked that the
Krystle
Dec 28, 2018 rated it did not like it
Shelves: first-reads
It has taken me almost eight years to finish this book. I tried to read this three times, the last time on audiobook. I only persevered because I had won this as a giveaway on Goodreads and the book is signed by both authors. I liked the first one. In fact, I thought it was fun with a fresh perspective of reading a YA book from a male pov.

This one I absolutely deplored.

I hated how the only plot and conflict revolved around some overly dramatic love triangle for our leads and some very out of ch
Lyndz
Jun 15, 2011 rated it liked it
I wanted to like this book so bad. I quite enjoyed the first one, I thought Beautiful Creatures was a much needed break from the tedious plots in YA fantasy fiction. This one, well, not so much.

Let me get my gripes out of the way right off the bat.

What’s it called when in a plot the protagonist is faced with an insurmountable problem and then all the sudden the author creates a seemingly random solution without any prior mention of the solutions existence? I know there is a name for this but I
Dainy
Nov 21, 2010 rated it did not like it
Full review on Reader's Dialogue: http://readersdialogueblogspot.com

I was very disappointed with this sequel to Beautiful Creatures. Everything I loved about the first book is gone from the second, and the things that bothered me about the first book are magnified in the second.

The slow beginning of Beautiful Creatures put me off a bit, but once I got into the story, that little pest faded away and I became involved with the characters. In Beautiful Darkness, I had a hard time getting back into
Melodie
After roughly a year and a half, I though it was time to visit Gatlin,South Carolina again.I dove into the second book in the Beautiful Creatures series. Lena Duchannes has just come back from the horrific fire under the sixteenth moon, that claimed the life of her beloved Uncle Macon. Her guilt over being the cause of his death pushes her over the edge and she has run away with a strange and powerful Caster.Ethan, fresh from having his life saved in said horrific fire, is stung by Lena's seemi ...more
Karina
May 23, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2014
3.5 stars - I was so hesitant to pick this up after I really didn't enjoy the 1st one, but it proved me wrong. It still was a light read, not too much thinking needed, quite the simple story (i.e. many turns in the story happened because of random people showing up out of nowhere helping the main character). What I liked was how easy the story read. I caught myself reading, reading, reading until there were another 100 pages done. Another thing I enjoyed was that the annoying teenage relationshi ...more
Krista
Mar 19, 2010 rated it really liked it
Beautiful Creatures dazzled me. A well-deserved 5 stars. Beautiful Darkness is also a very special book and a terrific read. What took BD down to 4 stars for me was that it took me the first 200 pages to really get into the story and take off flying to finish the rest. The story was not bad by any means, but Lena was kind of irritating in this book -- the girl is certainly dealing with a lot of issues. I adore the unique supporting characters. Loved the addition of Liv. Amma is the greatest. You ...more
s-hastings
I loved this book. Definitaly worth the wait. There were parts where I laughed, parts where I cried, parts where I screamed. This book has it all!
Thomas
Jun 01, 2010 rated it really liked it
I LOVE the endings to these books, they are the sole reason why I trudge through the three hundred or so other pages that make up the exposition. The accumulation of all the conflict and suspense and foreshadowing into about one hundred to two hundred pages is absolutely amazing.

Beautiful Darkness had the same problem as Beautiful Creatures - it was too long, at least for my taste. I felt like the plot was not as believable as the first book in terms of withheld information, and there were more
Will there be a second movie? 64 2970 May 01, 2018 11:04AM
Link - Spoilers 1 3 Jan 03, 2018 10:33AM
Who's on Team Liv? Yeah... so cliché. 33 226 Jan 03, 2018 10:24AM
YA Buddy Readers'...: Caster Chronicles By Kami Garcia & Margaret Stohl - Reading from 'Beautiful Darkness (Beautiful Creatures #2)' from November 2nd 2017 163 276 Dec 12, 2017 02:44PM
♥!The Young Adult...: Beautiful Darkness 3 62 Jan 07, 2016 05:08PM
Addicted to YA: Beautiful Darkness 43 296 Jun 14, 2015 03:23AM

• Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows (Harry Potter, #7)
  • Enshadowed (Nevermore, #2)
  • Wolfsbane (Nightshade #2; Nightshade World #5)
  • Radiant Shadows (Wicked Lovely, #4)
  • Ballad: A Gathering of Faerie (Books of Faerie, #2)
  • Tempestuous (Wondrous Strange, #3)
  • Always a Witch (Witch, #2)
  • Guardian of the Gate (Prophecy of the Sisters, #2)
  • If I Die (Soul Screamers, #5)
  • The Haunted (The Hollow, #2)
  • Dead Silence (The Body Finder, #4)
  • Angel Star (Angel Star, #1)
  • Other Worlds
  • The Iron Legends (The Iron Fey, #1.5, 3.5, 4.5)
  • Hexbound (Dark Elite, #2)
  • Deadly Little Games (Touch, #3)
  • The Lost Saint (The Dark Divine, #2)
  • End of Days (The Fallen, #3)
Kami Garcia is a #1 New York Times, USA Today, and international bestselling author. She is the coauthor of the BEAUTIFUL CREATURES series, which has been published in 51 countries and 37 languages, with over 10 million copies in print. In 2013, Beautiful Creatures released as a feature film from Warner Brothers. Kami is a cofounder of the YALLFEST kid lit book festival and the author of five solo ...more

Beautiful Creatures (4 books)
  • Beautiful Creatures (Caster Chronicles, #1)
  • Beautiful Chaos (Caster Chronicles, #3)
  • Beautiful Redemption (Caster Chronicles, #4)
“We don't get to chose what is true. We only get to choose what we do about it.” 544 likes
“In Light there is Dark, and in Dark there is Light.” 388 likes