Start by marking “Voices from the Past: Puritan Devotional Readings” as Want to Read:
Voices from the Past: Puritan Devotional Readings

Voices from the Past: Puritan Devotional Readings

(Voices from the Past #1)

Richard Rushing has compiled this book of daily devotional readings from his favorite Puritan authors because of the great help he has gained from their Works.
Published June 1st 2010 by Banner of Truth (first published December 1st 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Voices from the Past, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Voices from the Past

Start your review of Voices from the Past: Puritan Devotional Readings
Debbie
Sep 03, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: christian
Started reading in August. Tremendous selection of meaningful devotional passages. Worth the time and meditation.
Morgan Steward
Jul 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Absolutely amazing, inspiring, and encouraging book for your faith in Christ.
Matthew Dudley
Jan 10, 2017 rated it liked it
I thought there was a lot of great readings in here, but also typical Puritan and leans heavy on law. Now we should obey God's Law, but they make it sound like you cannot be a Christian unless you perfectly obey the law, which is what Christ did! That being said I am going to read through Volume 2 in 2018.
christina
Dec 31, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Excellent introduction to a variety of Puritan classics. I bookmarked and/or shared more than my average number of passages.
Corrine
Apr 11, 2013 rated it it was amazing
This devotional will challenge and edify you daily. It has been wonderful and an encouragement.
Molly Moody
Jan 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2018-christian
Excellent devotional full of Biblical wisdom on one short page per day. I highly recommend.
Tammie Smith
Sep 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This a great daily devotional put together by Puritan writings. I recommend this book for those looking for a devotional.

Thank you to Richard Rushing and good reads.
Alex
Jul 24, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Very well put together. Very devotional. The whole book is quotable. This is definitely a book worth coming back to again and again for the rest of my life.
Glenn
Mar 12, 2015 rated it it was amazing
If you are looking for a daily devotion that is meaty, doctrinally-strong, and spiritually-refreshing, you have found the book, Richard Rushing's Voices from Past: Puritan Devotional Readings. Rushing edited the best writings from the English Puritan period into readable, daily digestible bites. Pastor-theologians like Richard Sibbes (my favorite), John Bunyan, John Owen, Thomas Brooks, Thomas Watson, John Flavel (second favorite), William Gurnall, and Thomas Manton are cited in updated English. ...more
Bill Pence
Jan 07, 2017 rated it it was amazing
The author writes that over the past fifty years there has been a great resurgence of interest in the writings of the Puritans. I was personally introduced to the Puritans about twenty years ago by my pastor through the wonderful Puritan reprints of Dr. Don Kistler. The author has developed this book of daily readings extracted from some of his favorite Puritan authors (a second volume was recently published). His prayer is that these readings will stimulate the reader to explore further the wri ...more
Nathan White
Aug 06, 2013 rated it really liked it
I would recommend this book over any devotional book I've every come across. It is a useful book on several fronts: as an introduction to the puritans, as a short but deep resource for family devotions, as a quick devotion for those with very little time (mothers!). This is an excellent work. The daily portions are easy to read and can be done so in less than 5 minutes, and this is accomplished without sacrificing anything to content! But I have three complaints which keep me from giving it 5 st ...more
Dan
Mar 04, 2015 rated it it was amazing
*I received a complimentary copy of this book from Banner of Truth in exchange for my honest review.

Voices From the Past is a book that should be in everyone's library. The devotional readings from past Puritan men of God is so rich, so deep, and so powerful that to not have this book is a grave mistake.

I was challenged with each reading to fall deeper into my faith as these voices declared their love for God, His Son, and His Holy Spirit.

The passion that is f
Edwards1689
Jan 02, 2014 rated it it was amazing
This is by far the best devotional I have ever read. A daily dose of the puritans is ideal,
and through this book you can learn a few more authors you want to look into further. The selections are excellent, and as always, the Puritan writers are incomparable. Convicting and apt every day. Richard Rushing has given the reformed Christians in the world a wonderful daily source of biblical truth.
Tom Brainerd
Jul 10, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I purchased copies of this for each of the families in our congregation two Christmases ago. It has proven wonderful for us, and the feedback from the congregation has been good.

We use this around the table at lunch, and the insights are always provoking of edifying discussion.
Sterling
Jan 01, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2015-reading
Very good reading. Some passages resonated better than others. A lot of insight from long ago.
Daniel Gumprecht
Nov 14, 2015 rated it it was amazing
My favorite devotional.
Becky Pliego
Apr 25, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Wonderful, definitely my favorite devotional. We have used it in our family devotions for two years now.
Douglas Wilson
Aug 14, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: theology
This is a very fine devotional, culled from the writings of many of the Puritans. Very sound, very good, very worthwhile.
Ryan
Aug 31, 2012 rated it really liked it
A very solid, year round devotional with writings from many of my very favorite English Puritan authors. In here lies a rich well full of the best of 17th century inspiration. Take up and eat...
Beth Van bemmel
Nov 07, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Short, but very meaty and thought-provoking daily devotional based on Puritan writings.
Catherine
Jul 26, 2018
Fbp Missions
Oct 13, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »

• The Most Misused Verses in the Bible: Surprising Ways God's Word Is Misunderstood
  • Make Haste My Beloved
  • Bible Stories For Adults: The stories behind these familiar childhood tales.
  • The Truth About Man
  • The Gospel Call and True Conversion (Recovering the Gospel)
  • The Horse Dancer
  • My Ranch, Too: A Wyoming Memoir
  • Come Away My Beloved
  • I Am Still Alive
  • Out of My Mind
  • The Curious Christian: How Discovering Wonder Enriches Every Part of Life
  • Do You Talk Funny?: 7 Comedy Habits to Become a Better (and Funnier) Public Speaker
  • Uncomfortable: The Awkward and Essential Challenge of Christian Community
  • You Are What You Love: The Spiritual Power of Habit
  • Narrative of the Life of Frederick Douglass
  • Spiritual Disciplines for the Christian Life

Voices from the Past (2 books)
  • Voices from the Past, Volume 2: Puritan Devotional Readings