Start by marking “Songs of Love and Death: All-Original Tales of Star-Crossed Love” as Want to Read:
Songs of Love and Death: All-Original Tales of Star-Crossed Love

Songs of Love and Death: All-Original Tales of Star-Crossed Love

(Guardians #3.6 - The Demon Dancer)

Songs of Love and Death: All Original Tales of Star Crossed Love

“Love Hurts” copyright © 2010 by Jim Butcher
“The Marrying Maid” copyright © 2010 by Jo Beverley
“Rooftops” copyright © 2010 by Carrie Vaughn LLC
“Hurt Me” copyright © 2010 by M. L. N. Hanover
“Demon Lover” copyright © 2010 by Cecelia Holland
“The Wayfarer’s Advice” copyright © 2010 by Melinda Snodgrass
“Blue Boots”
Published November 16th 2010 by Gallery Books (first published November 1st 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Songs of Love and Death, please sign up.
Aron Lidé It's been released in the anthology Songs of Love and Death, I haven't read any of the Black Sun's Daughter series, so I can't say if it's part of it…moreIt's been released in the anthology Songs of Love and Death, I haven't read any of the Black Sun's Daughter series, so I can't say if it's part of it or not, but I don't think so.

Nikki
I only read selected stories from Songs of Love and Death, because some of the authors or the first pages didn't appeal. (For example, me and Jim Butcher don't get on very well. Everyone else says the misogyny is just Harry Dresden and is part of his character and it doesn't come from Jim Butcher: it still makes me feel profoundly uncomfortable.)

So, of the ones I read, the first was Jo Beverley's 'The Marrying Maid'. I liked the idea, especially the link to the Robin Hood legend. It could've bee
Lisa Wolf
Mar 06, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: short-stories
I picked up "Songs of Love and Death" specifically to read the new story by Diana Gabaldon ("A Leaf on the Wind of All Saint's"), and it was certainly worth it! "Leaf" is a fantastic addition to Gabaldon's works in the Outlander series. Focusing on a character we've previously heard about but never met, this story explores a plot point introduced in the 7th book in the series, Echo in the Bone. Without going into detail, in order to avoid spoilers, all I can say is that Gabaldon's fans MUST read ...more
Calista
This little story was amazing. I didn't know what to make of Cassandra. This was a twist ending. I was not ready for it. I mean this was fantastic. Stewart made up an imaginary girlfriend when he was a teenager. All the sudden, when he is successful as an artist, all his friends keep telling him Cassandra is looking for him. He knows the girl is imaginary and yet he meets her in the flesh. They meet face to face and he can't figure it out.

Then the TWIST at the end. FANTASTIC!
Kris
I want to savor these stories little by little because they are so darn good but I find myself rushing through them needing to know what happened next!! I find this anthology so far to be quite fascinating and I am enjoying myself immensely reading through the creative and varied voices within these 'songs'.

JACQUELINE CAREY: this was the first story that I chose - and quite purposefully, at that. It was of Anafiel Delunay, who was once known as Anafiel de Montreve, a poet that was good enough to
Brittany
Nov 04, 2010 rated it really liked it
Wow talk about your sucker punch to the stomach. I thought Martin and Dozois were just being irritating by holding Diana Gabaldon's story until last in the collection; like promising you cheesecake, but not until after you eat your whole dinner. But now I see why they did it. Nobody could have followed Gabaldon's story "A Leaf on the Wind of All Hallows." Not Peter Beagle or Neil Gaiman. Not anyone.

I'll review the whole book and then we can get back to "A Leaf on the Wind of All Hallows."

Toute
All Things Urban Fantasy
Nov 10, 2010 rated it really liked it
Review courtesy of All Things Urban Fantasy

The moment I heard the words ‘Outlander spinoff’, I was sold. Diana Gabaldon’s epic Outlander series is probably my all time favorite series ever in any genre. The other authors who I love in this anthology like Jim Butcher, Carrie Vaughn, and Yasmine Galenorn are just icing on the cake.

“Love Hurts” by Jim Butcher (a Harry Dresden story)

In addition to the main series, I have now read several short stories starring the Wizard P.I. Harry Dresden and I thi
Donna
Nov 05, 2010 rated it liked it
As with any anthology, this is a mixed bag.

The high points were Carrie Vaughn's "Rooftops" (a nicely-paced story about a playwright whose life changes after she's saved by a superhero) and Neil Gaiman's "The Thing About Cassandra" (an imaginative story about a man coming across a lie from his past). I also enjoyed Robin Hobb's return to the Six Duchies in "Blue Boots" and the gritty-but-satisfying "Hurt Me" by M.L.N. Hanover.

Some of the other stories were well-written or had interesting moments,
Lynne Perednia
Nov 16, 2010 rated it liked it
This new cross-genre anthology purports to be an "all original" collection of tales of star-crossed lovers written by fantasy, romance, horror and crime authors. The all-original tag doesn't hold up with the first story, Jim Butcher's "Love Hurts", in which Dresden and a friend fall victim to a spell. It's the same setup seen in hundreds of TV shows in which characters flirt with, or are tricked into thinking, they are in love and go back to their old ways by story's end.

The introduction is odd
Bonnie
Aug 09, 2011 rated it really liked it
The 4 star rating is based solely upon the short story “A Leaf on the Wind of All Hallows” written by Diana Gabaldon!

When I read on Diana's website that not only did she have a short story published in "Songs of Love and Death: All-Original Tales of Star-Crossed Love" but that it was a story about Roger! In "An Echo in the Bone" Diana Gabaldon generated yet another mystery that had to do with Roger's parents.

I really enjoyed this even though it only made me want more... it did answer the questi
Monica
Jul 04, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: reviewed
I really enjoyed this anthology and am going to post some of the specifics about a few of the stories, but not all of them, that would make for an incredibly long review. I enjoyed the theme of this anthology (being star-crossed lovers) and I enjoyed meeting new characters and learning things about some of my favorite characters I did not know. I hope you enjoy it as well....

Love Hurts by: Jim Butcher

This was a cute, short, pretty easy and flowing story. I found it a tad bit shocking because of
JG (The Introverted Reader)
This collection of short stories is exactly what the subtitle says: tales of star-crossed love. Crossing a gamut of sub-genres within the realms of science fiction and fantasy, there should be something here for almost everyone.

As with almost any anthology, there were stories that I loved and some that just didn't do anything for me. I was a little afraid that it would start to get depressing (star-crossed love just doesn't sound happy, now does it?) but there was a good balance of happy and sad
Kat  Hooper
Nov 18, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: audiobook
ORIGINALLY POSTED AT Fantasy Literature.

George R.R. Martin and Gardner Dozois have collected a nice batch of all-new stories from an all-star cast in Songs of Love and Death. The theme is "star-crossed lovers," and as you might guess from the title, each tale is a love story, and many are death stories, too. Some are sad, some are sexy, and one or two are slightly sappy. Overall, I enjoyed the collection. Here's what you'll find in Songs of Love and Death:

-- "Love Hurts" by Jim Butcher may be th
Althea Ann
Jan 12, 2011 rated it really liked it
This is an sff/romance anthology, with a contributor list definitely a cut above the average. (Editor Martin has the connections!) My favorites were the entries from Tanith Lee, Robin Hobb, Jacqueline Carey, Peter S. Beagle and Neil Gaiman (who contributes an actual story, rather than the short poem he usually gives anthologies!) - but many of the others were very good as well. Recommended.

Contents:
1. "Love Hurts" by Jim Butcher [a Harry Dresden story]
2. "The Marrying Maid" by Jo Beverly
3. "Roof
Cheryl
Nov 21, 2010 rated it really liked it
Songs of Love and Death is the perfect anthology for every reader. It has a little bit of everything for everyone from paranormal, zombies, and favorite characters from series… as well as new stories from best selling authors. This anthology brings out the heavy hitters.

Mr. Jim Butcher brings his tough as nails Harry Dresden, a puzzling string of love pact murder cases in Love Hurts. Meet some magical sea creatures in Melinda M. Snodgrass’s The Wayfarer’s Advice. There are so many good stories
Virginia
Feb 14, 2011 rated it liked it
I think the hardest part of anthologies is that it seems so long (because there are so many stories) and I feel as if I have to invest much more than I actually have to. Plus, there is nothing to keep me hooked between stories - vs a novel of this length, there is the driving desire to find out what happened.

I did enjoy most of the short stories and a few really stayed with me. (Some were a bit too creepy for me, though.) The standouts for me were:

Hurt Me by MLN Hanover
After the Blood by Marjor
Dina James
Dec 29, 2010 rated it it was amazing
So many fantastic authors! I especially loved (and bought it just for) the Jacqueline Cary story. Utter brilliance. Being a Harry Dresden fan, I loved Jim Butcher's contribution as well, and Neil Gaiman's story was typical Neil brilliance. Highly recommended!
Joanna Gillespie
Oct 09, 2017 rated it really liked it
Extremely odd. I both hate and love the ending.

Also very interesting look into the art industry within only a few pages.
Zuleika
Overall

An anthology filled with 17 stories about star-crossed lovers. I enjoyed almost all stories and was introduced to a lot of new writers (I only knew maybe half of these authors before reading). There is a good mixture of different genres which I consider a pro, but I can understand why someone might consider it a con, in case they only end up liking only one or two stories/genres. But if you like (a touch of) fantasy and love stories, then I think you are good with the majority of the sto
Ryan
Feb 21, 2012 rated it liked it
Assorted work by multiple writers and edited by George R.R. Martin & Gardner Dozois. Being familiar with multiple anthologies edited by Martin, I was instantaneously interested. I picked this up after misplacing my current read "Latro in the Mist" and figured it would be the perfect opportunity to carve through some shorts while I wait for its return and/or rediscovery.

They are all quick reads and as the title suggests, all are around the disasters that love and death can bring. Some are u
Meredith
4.5 stars for the short story, You, and You Alone, by Jacqueline Carey.

Dying is ugly business.
I am dying; Anafiel Delauney, born Anafiel de Montrève. When I am dead, they will call me the Whoremaster of spies.
This I know.
And I deserve it.

So starts Carey's short story, You, and You Alone, which recounts the love story between Anafiel and Rolande de la Courcel in Anafiel's own words. Their romance was pivotal to Kushiel's Dart, but the details remained mysterious throughout the novel. This i
ylva a.
Don't get me wrong. I've read my fair share of anthologies, and know that the stories in them will always, quality-wise, exist on a sliding scale from "what the hell" to "this is actually pretty decent" to "absolutely BLOWN away" (and finally, my personal favorite, "this is Neil Gaiman and he doesn't even need to publish more than his grocery list at this point for me to be absolutely in love with it").

But this one? Let's put it like this. My original plan, right up until the last two stories, w
Kate
Nov 21, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Michelle Kelly, Margaret Ethridge
Well, this was the best compilation of short stories that I have ever read. I can really say that I truly adored every single one.

Love Hurts by Jim Butcher
This is a Dresden files story, and I really liked the way it was written. It was very clear and easy to follow, easy to get a mental image from descriptions. Maybe I'll read some Dresden FIles books now!

The Marrying Maid by Jo Beverly
Cute, cute, cute! I love how it was historical fantasy! I could totally read this to girlfriends at a girly sle
Ewelina
Mar 05, 2018 rated it liked it
I'm giving 3 stars, one for Gaiman, one for Gabaldon and last for Putney. The rest is not bad but exciting either.
Izlinda
Jacquelyn
Oct 29, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own, romance
This is a really great collection of 17 short stories by different authors ranging from romance to sci-fi to horror, all of which are about "star-crossed lovers". The huge number of stories is both a gift and a curse, since I felt overwhelmed by how many stories I had left, but I also didn't feel bad about picking and choosing. Oh you like straight-up romance? There are a few of those. Aliens? Yup, that too. Fairy tales? Ghost stories? Superheroes? Yup, yup, yup.

I originally picked it up becaus
Lisa
Nov 07, 2011 rated it liked it
I bought this book mainly for the Diana Gabaldon's short story about Roger MacKenzie's parents, which I loved and wished that it was longer. That story rated 4 stars but the rest of the stories, or rather, the ones that I read, rated 3. The ones I read and liked (3 stars) was:
'Love Hurts' by Jim Butcher - a Harry Dresden tale where he "battles with the secret desires of his heart" - it was okay, kinda felt flat to me, maybe because it was too short? Don't know.

'The Marrying Maid' by Jo Beverley
Chechoui
Anthology edited by George RR Martin, this book packs in many tales of star-crossed lovers. Stories within I read:

Love Hurts by Jim Butcher - a tale of PI Harrry Dresden and his sidekick Murphy getting caught in a love spell. Good, but short.
The Marrying Maid by Jo Beverley - was an interesting tale involving the world of the fae.
Hurt Me by MLN Hanover - was a seriously freaky ghost story. I don't recommend reading it right before bedtime.
Demon Lover by Cecelia Holland- was in the style of a f
Linda Isakson
This is a wonderful collection of short stories by some of todays hottest writers: Neil Gaiman, Diana Gabaldon, Jim Butcher, Jacqueline Carey, Marjorie M. Liu, and Carrie Vaughn, to name a few. Though I won't give a synopsis of each of the 17 stories included in this anthology, I do want to explain which are part of ongoing series. Jim Butchers "Love Hurts" is a Harry Dresden story. Jacqueline Carey's "You, and You Alone" is a Kushiel story (though it seemed more like an extract rather than a st ...more
Andy Hickman
Feb 22, 2017 rated it really liked it
“The Thing About Cassandra” by Neil Gaiman

Well, this is what they call a plot twist!

{SPOILER}

“I wrote Stuart's name on my exercise books.
I did not tell my friends the most important thing about Stuart: that I had made him up.”

- - -

Merged review:

“Blue Boots” by Robin Hobb (32 pages)
“She was sitting on the splintery landing of the rickety wooden steps that led up to the kitchen servants’ quarters.”

Thus opens this charming tale of an orphaned young lady who works as a lowly servant and becomes en
Jennifer  Redstreake-Geary
May 27, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I would say about 2/3rds of the stories were fantastic! I wanted to read on and on and hated that they were ending and I had to start on to a new short story. Jim Butcher is, of course, fabulous. I love his stories that include Harry Dresden anyway. And Neil Gaiman is a genius, his short story "The Thing about Cassandra" was creepy and eery, but ooh soooo good in that awesome Gaiman way. My all time favorite Diana Gabaldon has a short in this as well, a cool little story about Roger's dad (if yo ...more
Outlander Series: A Leaf In the Wind 122 440 Dec 28, 2016 04:22PM
The Thing about Cassandra 1 12 Apr 03, 2012 12:59AM

• Blood Lite III: Aftertaste (Blood Lite #3)
  • Naked City: Tales of Urban Fantasy
  • Chicks Kick Butt
  • Masked
  • Dark and Stormy Knights
  • Nocturnal
  • Wings of Fire
  • Those Who Fight Monsters: Tales of Occult Detectives
  • Sympathy for the Devil
  • Love Hurts (The Dresden Files, #11.5)
  • The Apocalypse Reader
  • Our World (The Dresden Files Roleplaying Game, #2; The Dresden Files, #10.11)
  • Happily Ever After
  • The Wild Side: Urban Fantasy with an Erotic Edge
  • Lightspeed: Year One
  • Emerald Magic: Great Tales of Irish Fantasy
  • Legends II: Dragon, Sword and King
  • Inked (World of the Lupi, #5.5)
George R.R. Martin was born September 20, 1948, in Bayonne, New Jersey. His father was Raymond Collins Martin, a longshoreman, and his mother was Margaret Brady Martin. He has two sisters, Darleen Martin Lapinski and Janet Martin Patten.

Guardians (3 books)
  • A Kiss of Fate
  • Stolen Magic (Guardians, #2)
  • A Distant Magic (Guardians, #3)
“Words can be powerful allies. Or enemies” 9 likes
“Sometimes, the only way to exorcise old ghosts is to pack your bags and move in with them.” 4 likes