Start by marking “Dead Men Walking” as Want to Read:
Dead Men Walking

Dead Men Walking

When the necrons rise, a mining planet descends into a cauldron of war and the remorseless foes decimate the human defenders. Salvation comes in an unlikely form - the Death Korps of Kreig, a force as unfeeling as the Necrons themselves. When the two powers go to war, casualties are high and the magnitude of the destruction is unimaginable.
Mass Market Paperback, 416 pages
Published November 30th 2010 by Games Workshop

Start your review of Dead Men Walking
Mantas Jonas
Dec 07, 2015 rated it it was amazing
As my friend put it - "This is a book about methodical, slow, immovable, cold-blooded, calculating force fighting versus necrons."

"Dead Man Walking", unlike most of WH40K novels takes an unique spin. Even tough this is a Guard novel, we get to enjoy the whole story from a civilian point of view. From the start of the book we are thrust into the world of Hieronymous Theta, one of the countless mining worlds of Imperium of Mankind. Despite some casual problems, this world is far from war and other
Paulo "paper books always" Carvalho
Jeff
Jul 14, 2012 rated it it was amazing
This book is intense. The Death Korps are cold, nihilistic and utterly alien and this book ends up being insanely brutal when all is said and done. A good story, and almost entirely devoid of war glorification. This is akin to WWI in the depiction of thankless meat grinder campaigns. Again, another nod at the Death Korps troopers who are observed from many angles, but could never provide their own voice.
Ross Hamilton
Dec 27, 2011 rated it really liked it
Stories set in the Warhammer 40,000 universe often become quite gothic in style, which I sometimes find a harder reader and less of an enjoyment. I think that there is a greaer tendancy towards the gothic when stories are exclusively about the Astartes Space Marines. In Dead Men Walking, however, Steve Lyons has managed a nice balance between the slower gothic style and faster contemporary.

Hieronymous Theta is a mining world, its cities clustered around mining centres ascending high into the
Jeremiah Nierras
Jun 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: horus-heresy
"Gunthar Soreson was dead. Along with everything he had valued in his meaningless life."

Easily my favorite standalone guard story in Black Library's arsenal. This was the bleak, hopeless attrition war of 40k at its finest, and neither the enemy Necrons who Gunthar and Arex were trying to survive from, or their "saviors" in the form of the Death Korps of Krieg could relent and showed us the readers how far from human they really are.

Which only serves to highlight the human side of our characters
Nick Joslin
Jul 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great if you're looking for something involving the Necron

I bought this book because I was looking for something that involved the Necron. This definitely has that, and tells the story of various interesting characters with different backgrounds. Would reccomend for any fan of Warhammer 40K, or even those looking for a gritty, almost horror sort of novel.
Vlad
Aug 05, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: warhammer
A surprisingly deep warhammer story. Not the usual hack n' slash with much more character development. A WWI story set in 40th millennium.

One of the best WH40k novels
Michael T Bradley
May 29, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: w40k
You know, Deathworld is one of my favorite 40K novels, but I never really think of Lyons as a favorite author of mine. Maybe just because he's not as prolific as others? I dunno. In any case, I liked DMW just as much as Deathworld.

This novel is essentially a riff on the tale of how war affects everyone, almost a War & Peace sort of vibe here, except during a necron ... is invasion the right word? I mean, they get dug up & they retake the planet. So ... reclamation? Oh, also, this novel
Gabriel Tubec
Aug 30, 2018 rated it it was amazing
The Death Korps of Krieg is one of the most grimdark things in a setting that literally created that word, with the Necrons close behind. Thus when you have them fighting each other, you get a relentless, possibly soul-less, definitely feeling-less army of identical nameless humans (and they are the GOOD guys!) fighting ... well, exactly the same, but robots.
Different from all other Imperial Guard novels, this one is definitely not suited as an introduction to Warhammer40k for the average SF
Steve
Apr 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Excellent read, I have never been a fan of the Death Korps of Krieg and this book reinforces that dislike, they have no emotions, they are just numbers on a page. But this is still an excellent story, as it displays the futility and grinding nature of war, where people fight because the only alternative is to accept death on your knees.
Paul Williams
Jul 10, 2017 rated it liked it
A pretty good read although depressing at times. The characters were interesting and I enjoyed reading about their journeys. As a necron fan I enjoyed reading about them but they seemed a bit too indestructible at some points in the book. Would recommend to someone who is a fan of the grim dark 41st millennium.
ドミネーター トライアンベイト
ok ... not that good but ok
Courtney
Feb 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Second book maybe

There wasn’t a full ending to the book and there did not seem to be anything about a second one.
汗屍 勞
Apr 30, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: warhammer
Writing about the Warhammer 40K universe is a difficult task, mainly because it is a different universe that bears no similarity to the world we are living, therefore one of the things that differentiate a good BL writer from bad one is how he sets the scene. It is becoming more often these days when you see these lesser talented writers simply have two opposing armies chop each other apart in a generic battlefield.

But that's is not Lyons, Lyons is a master of setting the scene. I believe it was
Jack Keane
May 03, 2015 rated it really liked it
Dark, gritty and pretty depressing at times, it's everything you know and love in a 40k novel.
I love the Death Korps of Krieg but often wondered how soldiers devoid of personality would form any real character connection or decent dialogue. Well the short answer is they don't, they have about as much personality as the Necrons they are fighting, the human side of the story is left up to the tertiary characters who are surprisingly very likeable, (you know something strange is going on when the
Nathan Avery
Jun 22, 2016 rated it really liked it
I don't write many reviews any more, but I wanted to commend Steve Lyons for doing something that hasn't really been done often in the wh40k literary universe.

Dead Men Walking is not your typical 40k novel. There is no victory against overwhelming odds. There are no invincible space marines, no tight-knit band of underdog guardsmen, and no enigmatic inquisitors. There is no glory, and there is no hope.

This novel focuses on the dehumanization that results from unending conflict, and turns all of
Andrew Ziegler
Aug 20, 2013 rated it really liked it
Adrian Ayala
Feb 27, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: warhammer-40k
I really dislike incomplete stories. A great read for you Imperial Guard fans. I pretty much knew who the bad guys where going to be after reading a previous Space Marines novel, Fall of Damnos, because of the actions that the Imperium had done on planets setting.

Well written, but I wouldn't suggest you run out and grab it since there are other Imperial Guard focused novels that are awesome, Gaunts Ghosts series and Ciaphas Cain.
Stuart Benson
Nov 25, 2015 rated it it was ok
Really, really poor book. The author doesn't know how to write action, the transitions between characters is unclear and uneven. Some characters are left so long you forget what they are up to.

I know you want to read it because the Death Korps are in it, but most of the beginning of the book is spent with some whimp after an unfortunate event happens. Really really bad. Avoid.
Svyatoslav Ostapyuk
Перша прочитана книга по wh40k. Ще деякі починав, але закинув.
Що сподобалося, так це відсутність вархамерівського пафосу.
Бували моменти, коли , навіть, з'явилися переживання за тих чи інших героїв. Але їх не було багато, тих моментів.
James Bowman
First Warhammer 40K novel I've read. It's as grim and as dark as one would expect from that universe. Fortunately, there are some sympathetic characters to latch onto, as otherwise it's basically fascists fighting robot zombies... (B)
Derek
Mar 16, 2012 rated it really liked it
Both better and not as good as I had thought it might be. In the end, though, it was better in many ways than I had expected, including the ending. Well done.
Patt
Nov 21, 2012 rated it did not like it
Probably the worst warhammer book i have read.
David Tuckerman
Sep 07, 2014 rated it really liked it
Decent 40k
Wouter Vink
great book, and a totaly new insight in an age old Imperial guard regiments mindset.
Christian
Jul 13, 2012 rated it really liked it
All Quiet on the Western Front meets the grim darkness of the far future. Doesn't end like you would have thought. What a fatalistic perspective on life. Great read, though.
Andrey Kaa
Tyler boehm
Feb 23, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
great book a little slow at first but an all around good book only thing i didn't like was the ending
Bill Walker
Jun 06, 2015 rated it did not like it
Awful. Absolutely no resolution to any of the major plot points. Complete waste of time.
Cooper Graveline
Dec 08, 2012 rated it really liked it
Very Grim-Dark. Very fitting for the 41st millennium.
The entire book was very back and forth -- sometimes it seemed hopeless, and sometimes the good guys won.
It was a very good story overall!

• Cadian Blood (Warhammer 40,000)
  • Redemption Corps
  • Dark Imperium (Dark Imperium #1)
  • The Flight of the Eisenstein (The Horus Heresy #4)
  • Xenos (Eisenhorn #1)
  • Fifteen Hours (Warhammer 40,000)
  • Spear of the Emperor (Warhammer 40,000)
  • The Lost and the Damned (The Siege of Terra #2)
  • Fabius Bile: Clonelord (Fabius Bile #2)
  • Fabius Bile: Primogenitor (Fabius Bile #1)
  • Red Tithe (Carcharodons #1)
  • Plague War (Dark Imperium #2)
  • Mechanicum (The Horus Heresy #9)
  • Watchers of the Throne: The Emperor's Legion (Warhammer 40,000)
  • Cadia Stands (Cadia #1)
  • The First Heretic (The Horus Heresy #14)
  • Horus Rising (Horus Heresy #1)
  • Rites of Passage (Warhammer 40,000)
Steve Lyons is a science fiction writer, best known for writing television tie-ins of Doctor Who for BBC Books, and previously, Virgin. The earliest of these was Conundrum in 1994, and his most recent was 2005's The Stealers of Dreams. He has also written material for Star Trek tie-ins, as well as original work.